• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Who’s your favorite Bioware villain?

• Jon Irenicus

Votes: 37 13.1%
  • The Glorious Strategist

Votes: 9 3.2%
  • Saren

Votes: 78 27.7%
  • Sovererign

Votes: 42 14.9%
  • Illusive Man

Votes: 57 20.2%
  • The Dread Wolf

Votes: 42 14.9%
  • Other

Votes: 17 6.0%

• Total voters

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
Three quick notes:

1. Two poll options were changed to better reflect the most mentioned villains that were not in the first one. I changed Loghain for Saren and The Arishock (sorry, the world is just that unfair) for The Dread Wolf.

2. I didn't put EA because it would win to easily.

3. If possible, post your favorite quote(s) from the villain.

Anyway, my choice is this guy:

latest

"Life... is strength. This is not to be contested; it seems logical enough. You live; you affect your world. But is it what you want? You are... different inside. This woman lives and has strength of a sort. She lost her parents to plague, her husband to war, but she persevered. Her farm has prospered, her name is respected and her children are fed and safe. She lived as she thought she should. And now she is dead. Her land will be divided, her children will move on, and she will be forgotten. She lived a good life, but she had no power; she was a slave to death"

"I... I do not remember your love, Ellesime. I have tried. I have tried to recreate it, to spark it anew in my memory, but it is gone... a hollow, dead thing. For years, I clung to the memory of it. Then the memory of the memory. And then nothing. The Seldarine took that from me, too. I look upon you and feel nothing. I remember nothing but you turning your back on me, along with all the others. Once my thirst for power was everything. And now I hunger only for revenge. And I... WILL... HAVE IT!!"

He is pretty cool. I think Baldur's Gate II does an excellent job of subtly building his character from the very start of the game. He is a particular combination of both things that you can understand and others that feel alien. He is competent, determined and has a brutal type of intelligence. And his disdain and hate for everything is gold. And of course, the voice acting is fantastic.

"I cannot be caged! I cannot be controlled! Understand this as you die, ever pathetic, ever fools!"

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I'll repost my comment:

The Dread Wolf is my favorite modern BioWare antagonist by a decent margin. It's a shame Trespasser wasn't a part of the base game, because while the Dread Wolf ranks among the top, Corypheus ranks dead last.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Jon Irenicus thanks to David Warner performance. He really nailed how to portray the character.

Beary Jams

Nov 5, 2017
Portland, OR
Saren, replayed the Mass Effect Trilogy and I really enjoy him as a main antagonist and found him to be the only individual being you ever feel like you're fighting against throughout the three games.

I feel like Harbinger could have easily been the next evolution of that by being the face of the reapers but they really give him no time to be a character and interact in dialogue with Shepard other than the brief scene near the end of ME2 Arrival. Just feels like missed potential, he could have made a good face for the reapers and given you a feeling like he was the face of the reapers in 3 and a lot of 3's dialogue seems to try to make him out to be the biggest baddie with him being the first reaper but it all still fell flat. I still don't know why the hell he was trying to build a human reaper in 2.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
You took out Loghain but kept... The Illusive Man?

Anyways, I do pick Loghain because he's a villain whose case can be argued for. I don't agree with his actions he truly believed he had the country's best at heart, and to that end he can become an ally. Not to mention King Cailin is found to be a jerk which makes Loghain more likable.

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Right now it's still probably Saren. Trespasser is a great DLC though and Dread Wolf has potential, but I hesitate to vote for it on that alone.

OP
OP
SofNascimento

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
You took out Loghain but kept... The Illusive Man?

Anyways, I do pick Loghain because he's a villain whose case can be argued for. I don't agree with his actions he truly believed he had the country's best at heart, and to that end he can become an ally. Not to mention King Cailin is found to be a jerk which makes Loghain more likable.

TIM is one of the most iconic characters Bioware has created. You could argue he is not the same kind of villain as the others, but I think his place is justified.

Dec 20, 2017
Dread Wolf is fantastic, but I feel like he's currently too much potential to be a pick (like we still only know so much about how he qualifies as a villain).

Teryn Loghain Mac Tir may ultimately be outshined by the Dread Wolf, but as of now he's still number in Bioware's attempts at a sympathetic antagonist.

If I could vote twice, I'd put Loghain as best sympathetic villain, but Sovereign as best pure villain. Nothing has quite compared to his speech on Virmire- "You exist because we allow, and you will end because we demand it." That was the moment that took Mass Effect from a standard Bioware rpg into GOAT territory.

Arzak

Jun 21, 2019
I voted Sovereign based entirely on "that" one speech, the most memorable part of Mass Effect 1 and the entire series. God damnit Mass Effect 1 was good. Saren is a great choice as well though.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Illusive Man in ME2 is my favorite character but he was only really a full blown villain in ME3 and he was terrible there.

I'm going with the Glorious Strategist, boy did he live up to the name.

I don't get the love for Saren at ALL.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
There's a lot of really good ones like Illusive Man, Loghain, Sovereign, Dread Wolf...but my favorite's probably Saren.

The actor's performance is so fitting for the character, and you can definitely empathize with his rationale and position, which are typically hallmarks of a great villain. Almost felt bad for him at the end. Plus his design is just damn cool.

LossAversion

The Merchant of ERA
Oct 28, 2017
I romanced Solas in my playthrough of Inquisition and Trespasser so... The Dread Wolf definitely had the most emotional resonance for me. The ending of Trespasser was honestly incredible.

pixelpatron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Seattle
EA-Logo.png

Favorite Villain quotes:

"EA is shutting down Visceral Games"
"EA has decided to close operations and development efforts at Pandemic".

Last edited:

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
No Harbinger?

Anyway, I'm going with Saren. He's great in ME1, but the book makes him all the more ruthless.

Soneji

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I'm going with Solas, the Dread Wolf. Such an amazing companion, my favorite in the game and possibly my favorite in any Bioware game. Him turning villain is a top tier twist and Trespasser is one of the best DLCs ever. Give me DA4 already.

Saren/Sovereign would come in second, followed by Loghain.

Nov 8, 2017
Irenicus has such good voice acting and is extremely intimidating.

Saren is also well voiced and has the tragic thing going for him. His plan is nonsensical though (I must find a back door into the citadel because I got banned from the citadel because I searched for a back door to it)

The Arishok is pretty good, sort of sullied by being surrounded by a crap game. If the whole game was just about him it would have been better for it.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The Illusive Man stands out the most to me.

But that's most likely because ME2 is a GOAT contender for me.

Sabretooth

Oct 27, 2017
India
Darth Malak's design is absolutely legendary. He's a bit of a dork overall, but he sticks out the most for me out of all the BioWare villains tbh.

"Wipe this pathetic planet from the face of the galaxy."

luffie

Dec 20, 2017
Indonesia
Irenicus has depth. He has reason, he has plot, he has power and influence. This list is pretty easy. Can't believe people will say Loghain when Irenicus is on the list.

Plus Irenicus battle is awesome, full of strategy needed.

Drayco21

Oct 25, 2017
Sun Li being dead last in the poll is hurting my heart, goddamn Jade Empire is so fucking good.

Your abilities have grown immensely. But it also does my heart good to see that you remember the basics of what I taught... even the flaws.