• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Thewonandonly

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Utah
So I'm over hear having earned like 10 dollars in 4 months off this trading cards. As soon as I get them I sell them becuase why do I give a shit about a digital card 😂

What I'm wondering is who is buying them? What's the point of them? Do the buyers just buy them with hopes of selling them for more? I'm pretty confused about the whole thing becuase to me it's just free cents 😂😂

cvbas

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I bought a few of them for Hades last week. It's nice to have the badge on your profile, especially if it's for a game you like a lot.

I sell most of them, but I buy it every now and then (mostly with money I got by selling other cards).

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I don't know, man, but I thank them for it. They've paid for a bunch of my games over the years :P

selfnoise

Oct 25, 2017
I sell half of them, then use the pennies to buy the missing cards from the remaining half and craft badges. Why do I do this? Who can say.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I sell the holiday cards to get the associated badges, otherwise I don't bother.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've got my retirement fund tied up in the STCX, thank you very much. I'm going to come out a winner and you won't be laughing then!!

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
When I sell duplicate cards for few cents - I use those same cents to buy more cards so I can increase my badge count and steam level....though havent done much in the past year cause I got to a point where I was high level enough to customize my steam profile the way I want it to look like.

Eila

Oct 27, 2017
You should have seen when they first came out. People were paying some good cash for cards of niche games. I'd make a good chunk of the game back by selling the trading cards if it went on sale.
The prices have pretty much cratered since then, but it's still cool to get a few bucks for free.

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
i sell all of my cards to fund buying the sea of thieves ones for badges since i play that game all the time. i'll sell a card or two, buy a sea of thieves card or two and repeat. Almost done with maxing that out though, so my days of flipping cards are coming to an end

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
yeah i dunno, but it's pretty sweet as 50%+ games i buy on steam are under $10 so i don't have to feel so shitty per "household budget"/buying games i may or may not play (most likely not)

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I think I spent twenty or thirty bucks on them a couple of months ago, mainly because a lot of the art is really nice.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
I used to buy them to craft badges until Steam launched that event which gave all of us like 50 levels. Now I sell them. No use for them.

Nov 1, 2017
I think once you have a full set you can craft them into a badge that you display on your profile. I haven't done it but I can see someone wanting to craft badges for their favorite games. I never saw it as a money making source though, if I sold all my cards I would get maybe a max of $20 which is cool because that's the sale price of a decent game...but that's after buying and playing many games over the span of years. The only way I can see someone regularly getting purchase levels of money is if they already spend an obscene amount on games.

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
I've spent between 5 and 10 dollars on cards to make badges and increase my level.

I used to sell all mine immediately, but when Steam started asking for tax information I just stopped altogether. It's been years, and I think I can sell them again but I just don't bother.

defaltoption

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Austin
I've spent like $5 on them so I could level up my profile by completing the badges I was half way done with. You need that to customize your profile.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
I like to get trophies and achievements, but I just do not care about my Steam level at all.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Dunno who's buying, but if the person doing it is reading this, i just want to say thank you.

Bought like 5 games in a steam sale only with card money back then.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
I can't even be bothered to sell them anymore. Most of them go for like 4 cents. I have tons just clogging up my inventory.

I remember when they first came out some were selling for like 20 bucks

PureYeti

Nov 15, 2018
I collect the steam cards on the games I'm fan of and craft badges. Sometimes I just want to collect certain cards. They are like .20 cents and under for me

Grifter

Oct 26, 2017
JUST now noticed the card UI when Mushihimesama threw me a few. If you sell, do you set a price?

slothrop

▲ Legend ▲
Aug 28, 2019
USA
They really are just utter nonsense. I wish I could turn them off. I hate getting all these trashy notifications cluttering my 'inventory' when I play new games. Why would I bother selling them for 4 cents? The time it takes to deal with that is worth more than 4 cents.

I read through to figure out if there was any benefit to leveling up or making badges and there just... Isn't? Now they've added a redundant point system that does the same thing too

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I sell the duplicate cards (or all foils), then use the money earned to buy missing cards or a booster pack with gems. Rinse repeat craft badge.

It works well for recently released games, as the card prices are inflated.
When Persona 4 came out, I kept doing this, over and over. I have crafted all the (regular) badges and now I'm sitting here with an extra $6 on my account.

dalq

Feb 13, 2018
I dunno but thanks the whoever buys them, made like 30 bucks from selling cards and emotes last sale, enough to pay for the games I wanted.

Only time I bought was back when Grim Fandango remastered was released, cause that is my favorite game, and even then it cost me cents to get the cards.

I remember when they first released the cards, they were selling for a ton of money, I just downloaded my entire library and let the games run until I got all the drops, made enough to buy a full priced launch game and had some money left still lol

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, me. Though I only buy cards for games that I really like or underperformed as a show of support.

CONCHOBAR

Oct 25, 2017
*raises hand*

You craft them into badges. They cost pennies, so it's really not a big deal unless you go for the foils. You can unlock more stuff to display on your Steam profile, like your top achievements, or your favorite screenshots, or your statistics for your favorite game, etc. It's fun and inoffensive.

In particular, I like to max out the badges for my favorite games. I think I have the level 5 non-foil DMC5 badge, as well as one or two others.

Gogo_ZvC

Oct 29, 2017
Me, I am! I always liked collecting trading cards no matter the medium.

I tend to get them for just the games I own though once I've played them enough.

LaJgxrh.png

Last edited: