• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

thesoapster

Oct 25, 2017
MD, USA
Jokes on all of you, she now has half a million dollars.

Big brain IQ

tenor.gif

I'm sure that will help her pay her employees.
;)

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I can't believe (that's a lie, I can believe it) how much leniency she was given. Guaranteed if she was a minority the government agencies involved wouldn't have been so lenient.

As for everyone dunking on "haha stupid Karen stop being selfish," I would like to point out that the unemployment system in Texas is utterly fucked. My friend has been unemployed for 7 weeks and has not received a single dollar from the state of Texas despite applying the week she was laid off. People genuinely have zero income, and literally cannot pay for food or bills because the stimulus money and increased unemployment benefits are not materializing. Here in Houston several stores are doing the same thing with no enforcement of the law because it's honestly hard to blame people who cannot pay their bills for trying to scrape by. If the government had enforced a pause on rent/bill/mortgage payments at the same time that they forced people to kill their entire income streams or if the state was actually equipped to pay out the stimulus money to its citizens and small businesses that was intended to weather this storm, far fewer people would be clamoring to reopen businesses deemed non-essential.

All of that said, she wanted this outcome, and knew that being a white woman meant she was never in any real danger of facing harsher repercussions.

Deleted member 925

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No one is sure as hell making waves over the thousands of starving people of color that are affected by this. But Karen bitches she can't give highlights to feed her kids and it's a free payday.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
FWIW, the Dallas judges wrote a response to the AG telling him to fuck off. In the most legal way possible, of course.

theLusitanian

Nov 3, 2017
Conservatives were a mistake. Why aren't these people holding conservative governments to account over their terrible horrible responses to the crisis? All they do is bitch and moan about their life being hard but never look to the systematic oppressions that affect us all! It's infuriating!

Mercurial

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"how dare they jail a mother just running her business to put food on the table!"

I thought that's what the relief checks were for. To tie people over until jobs reopen?

$1200 (That many still haven't received) isn't exactly going to keep families fed, mortgages/rent paid, and businesses open. My family still hasn't received ours; we're just lucky enough to not have really been in dire need of it because of hard lessons learned in the past about the importance of maintaining an emergency fund.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I think these people would be just as bad under a Dem President. The right media would be pushing even harder and these kind of people would be pushing to fight against the government.

Stupid is stupid.

Yeah, as fucked as this is it's also very American. American "right to work" means she needs to earn her survival through employment and American individualism means everything she does is by and for herself and her immediate circle.

This is 21st-century perverted American values coming home to roost.

Oh and just to add fuel for the fire think about how this white woman was given all of these warnings and chances to avoid jail time. Think about all these donations on her go fund me page because she tried to open up her Barber shop during a pandemic. She put lives at risk for a pointless publicity stunt and is being openly defended by powerful people in the area. And after all that she was threatened with one week in jail.

Meanwhile we have the murder of a black jogger caught on video in Georgia and the shooters in that situation (who are also white) have not even been threatened with a fine let alone jail time. People in positions of power are defending those pieces of shit as well.

The American "justice" system is a fucking joke.

Also yeah fuck the cops nationwide for allowing people to effectively defy state orders and thus helping in making them toothless. The hell's your fucking job then.

I'd been avoiding this story because I figured it would piss me off, but I broke down and now I'm pissed off. Go figure.

The left needs to learn how to make a martyr. Minorities are seemingly gunned down daily by white assholes on camera and no one gives a shit. And this asshole woman raises half a mil for being a lunatic and endangering others.

Right-wing martyrs are really easy to make because the right always believes itself to be the scrappy underdog, and will concoct bullshit like "the Deep State" to ensure that is true. The left does not engage with that degree of flagrant brazen dishonesty.

NutterB

Oct 27, 2017
Can a person of color do the same in the same county as an experiment?

I'm sure police would start threatening the individuals with force and guns the moment they refused to close their saloon.

Last edited:

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
I empathize with people who are in an economic bond. But the main solution is to provide government funding to people until the pandemic passes.

But of course Republicans wouldn't go with a solution that would make the government look competent. I don't think even Shelley would want that. It's a culmulation of Republicans placing work on the altar above everything else. even if it means spreading the virus.

It's just frustrating at this point.

Oct 27, 2017
Kinda OT but my dumb aunt who had Been staying in the whole time decided to go to a salon and get her hair done. And you guessed it, she got covid 19

CHC

Oct 27, 2017
HOW

HOW did I know it was a salon before I even clicked the thread

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Maybe also with the money she's got from conservatives, she can take her ass out of Dallas county and go to Stepfordsville up in Frisco or something.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow at the grift involved in this story. Like go to court once and jail for a week and come out a millionaire.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
It's an unfortunate situation all around. Economically, people's backs are against the wall and I'm sure she's just trying to get by.

Well, no, she treated it like she was a modern day Rosa Parks. People just trying to get by don't treat their opening like an act of defiance.

Aureon

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Law: "Could you just not be stupid for a minute here?"
America's Finest: "BEING STUPID IS MY GOD-GIVEN RIGHT AND I'LL EXERCISE IT AS FAR AS I WANT TO NO MATTER HOW MANY PEOPLE GET KILLED"

Oct 26, 2017
These are the actions of a person that literally cannot afford to miss a day of work. But the story is being spun in a completely different direction than how she came to be in such a position in the first place.

AnansiThePersona

Started a revolution but the mic was unplugged
Oct 27, 2017
It sounds like the government needs to send all of us another relief check 👀👀👀

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
We live in a strange double reality where people rightfully bemoan how shitty and inadequate America's social safety nets are while they also drag people who cannot get by without income in that same country that enacted laws that cut off their ability to buy groceries without providing other avenues to survive.

Again, stimulus checks in Texas are absolutely not being paid out. Anyone working from the assumption that the promised government aid is even available is working from bad info.

Oct 27, 2017
Seems interesting. White woman who goes against executive order and breaks quarantine is lauded by the right where black man who jogs is killed

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's a reach for a comparison, but we just found out an unarmed black man was murdered for jogging through a white neighborhood by a couple of rednecks who weren't arrested. Now we have a white woman who can ignore police and a judge's order get 1 week in jail and end up with half a million dollars. I guarantee you if that woman were black they would've dragged her out of her salon in handcuffs, and locked her away for far longer than a week. Hell, she would be lucky if she weren't shot.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
We live in a strange double reality where people rightfully bemoan how shitty and inadequate America's social safety nets are while they also drag people who cannot get by without income in that same country that enacted laws that cut off their ability to buy groceries without providing other avenues to survive.

Again, stimulus checks in Texas are absolutely not being paid out. Anyone working from the assumption that the promised government aid is even available is working from bad info.
Wouldn't the action be to put pressure on state and federal leaders fumbling this to pay out, rather than open up a business in the middle of a pandemic, putting even more people at risk?

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Wouldn't the action be to put pressure on state and federal leaders fumbling this to pay out, rather than open up a business in the middle of a pandemic, putting even more people at risk?
What does that entail, exactly? What is this specific woman's avenue to putting money in her pocket this week so she can pay bills? Because while I agree that as a state people need to be putting that pressure on their elected officials en masse, none of that helps in the now, which is when bills are due. The wait times on the phone for unemployment in Texas is hours long, and you better pray to God you don't get disconnected or you aren't talking to anyone today. The website is utterly fucked, too, so no luck there.
Individuals have no power, and people are suffering individually.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
FWIW, the Dallas judges wrote a response to the AG telling him to fuck off. In the most legal way possible, of course.

I found it as well as a response by a councilman supporting the judge she chastising the AG.

dallasvoice.com

Dallas City Councilman Omar Narvaez, district judges respond to Paxton letter - Dallas Voice

Dallas City Councilman Omar Narvaez, who represents District 6, on Wednesday evening, May 6, posted on Facebook the following response to Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton regarding the letter Paxton sent this morning to Judge Eric Moye, chastising the judge for sentencing salon owner Shelley...

Might be good to have in the op CharlesAznable

PAFenix

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 21, 2019
$1200 (That many still haven't received) isn't exactly going to keep families fed, mortgages/rent paid, and businesses open. My family still hasn't received ours; we're just lucky enough to not have really been in dire need of it because of hard lessons learned in the past about the importance of maintaining an emergency fund.

My family received ours, though I'm fortunate to still have my job. Would have preferred to opt out so it could go to someone who did need it. I wasn't aware that there's a lot of hangups of people receiving their checks. (Which depending on family size, should be more than $1200 to help compensate keeping them afloat in terms of food/goods. I have no advice on mortgages, as I was under the impression that rent/mortgages SHOULD be suspended. Not surprised that many aren't following that though)

Does she mention keeping her store open because she didn't receive any relief? Or is she just being defiant? Aren't businesses also supposed to get separate relief funds or is that only big corporations?

I apologize for my initial post. I definitely have not had proper info about the situation in Texas. I assumed (wrongly) that if a place like friggin Mississippi got the checks out, Texas would have its act together. If she has a lease to pay for her business that is still being enforced, then this is definitely a situation where all the players aren't doing their due diligence to help each other get through this shit.

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think we're at the point where we can definitively say that the US experiment has ended.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017

Check out her Facebook page. This is not a lady trying to feed her family, it's s radicalized ultraconservative trying to #opentexas. I promise you she is extremely against social safety nets

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
My family received ours, though I'm fortunate to still have my job. Would have preferred to opt out so it could go to someone who did need it. I wasn't aware that there's a lot of hangups of people receiving their checks. (Which depending on family size, should be more than $1200 to help compensate keeping them afloat in terms of food/goods. I have no advice on mortgages, as I was under the impression that rent/mortgages SHOULD be suspended. Not surprised that many aren't following that though)

Does she mention keeping her store open because she didn't receive any relief? Or is she just being defiant? Aren't businesses also supposed to get separate relief funds or is that only big corporations?

I apologize for my initial post. I definitely have not had proper info about the situation in Texas. I assumed (wrongly) that if a place like friggin Mississippi got the checks out, Texas would have its act together. If she has a lease to pay for her business that is still being enforced, then this is definitely a situation where all the players aren't doing their due diligence to help each other get through this shit.
All good, but yeah it's just frustrating to see everyone jump to the least flattering conclusion possible about people who are flagrantly ignoring state orders for this virus. Believe it or not, not everybody is in some weird "death cult," and many people who want to reopen are doing it because they are utterly financially ruined by the piss poor infrastructure of their state being unable to distribute any money to their citizens and businesses.

Alsim

Banned for Abuse Of The Giftbot system
Banned
Jul 1, 2019
Would someone like this feel any guilt if people caught the disease in their business?

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Check out her Facebook page. This is not a lady trying to feed her family, it's s radicalized ultraconservative trying to #opentexas. I promise you she is extremely against social safety nets
Why can't it be both? Conservative shitlords face the same trouble getting stimulus money as my friends have. Cognitive dissonance in the right is nothing new, and you have to admit that a plague shutting down half of American industry is a strange situation that her normal stupid credo doesn't really account for under normal circumstances

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
What does that entail, exactly? What is this specific woman's avenue to putting money in her pocket this week so she can pay bills? Because while I agree that as a state people need to be putting that pressure on their elected officials en masse, none of that helps in the now, which is when bills are due. The wait times on the phone for unemployment in Texas is hours long, and you better pray to God you don't get disconnected or you aren't talking to anyone today. The website is utterly fucked, too, so no luck there.
Individuals have no power, and people are suffering individually.
It would entail at the very least not putting people at risk. Yes, it is shitty that governments around the country have worked for decades to make situations like these as inefficient and broken as possible, but plenty of people have been pointing that out for years. And people like her have ignored it because she didn't give a shit and thought she would never have to deal with things like unemployment.

Now that she was asked and given plenty of chances to not people in danger, she wants to cry about it. Well good for her, she grifted her way to near millionaire status.

I wonder if she put in the due diligence to apply for the SBA loan programs, or other forms of relief beyond unemployment. Wasn't clear in the article she tried any of that. Versus her simply be a contrarian for contrarian's sake because she knows she's white and people will flock to pay her as we see playing out now.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
It would entail at the very least not putting people at risk. Yes, it is shitty that governments around the country have worked for decades to make situations like these as inefficient and broken as possible, but plenty of people have been pointing that out for years. And people like her have ignored it because she didn't give a shit and thought she would never have to deal with things like unemployment.

Now that she was asked and given plenty of chances to not people in danger, she wants to cry about it. Well good for her, she grifted her way to near millionaire status.

I wonder if she put in the due diligence to apply for the SBA loan programs, or other forms of relief beyond unemployment. Wasn't clear in the article she tried any of that. Versus her simply be a contrarian for contrarian's sake because she knows she's white and people will flock to pay her as we see playing out now.
Who knows if she applied for a different loan? Even if she did, SBA approvals are extremely slow due to how fucked and overloaded the banks are. My good friend's dad owns 14 businesses of various stripes, ranging from a toner resupplying company to an Indian grocery store, and he only just got a couple of million in loans approved after 2 months. During that time, he was paying out of pocket to keep his employees on furlough instead of laying them all off, because he is fortunate enough to have enough liquid assets to allow that. The existence of stimulus doesn't translate to that stimulus being paid out, not by a long shot.
Look, I think there's a high likelihood that this specific woman is just a conservative shitstain. Sure. But this kind of talk around people flaunting stay at home laws is pervasive, and I think that many people vastly overestimate the availability of stimulus money in many states

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
To be fair, it don't take much to be a martyr for Right-wingers. Any jackass doing dumb shit and being called out for it or punished for it can fall into that category and usually DOES. If anything, we gotta stop caring about what they consider "martyrdom" because it results in handling these people with kid gloves, and THEY ARE THE LAST people that should be handled in such a way.

zoltek

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (3 days): drive-by posting
What does being white have to do with this? While true, why does the phrase "white woman" have to be the beginning of the OP's title? I didn't read all the fine details so maybe I missed something re: how the color of her skin was explicitly involved in this story. If so, I apologize. But if not, the title is poor form and detracts from the impact of the saga. There are increasing numbers of folks of all ethnicities and races that are beginning to open businesses in spite of mandates that say otherwise. I'm not saying that's right, but why so forcefully bring race into this when it's not particularly relevant?

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
Why can't it be both? Conservative shitlords face the same trouble getting stimulus money as my friends have. Cognitive dissonance in the right is nothing new, and you have to admit that a plague shutting down half of American industry is a strange situation that her normal stupid credo doesn't really account for under normal circumstances

Because the normal situation that she doesn't account for, are people going through disasterous situations in their own lives and conservatives do not care. That doesn't mean she shouldn't get the PPP and the stimulus and whatever but she deserves to get raked over the coals for being a hypocrite about it.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
Use the CARES act. You're not going hungry, get the fuck out of here.
What does being white have to do with this? While true, why does the phrase "white woman" have to be the beginning of the OP's title? I didn't read all the fine details so maybe I missed something re: how the color of her skin was explicitly involved in this story. If so, I apologize. But if not, the title is poor form and detracts from the impact of the saga. There are increasing numbers of folks of all ethnicities and races that are beginning to open businesses in spite of mandates that say otherwise. I'm not saying that's right, but why so forcefully bring race into this when it's not particularly relevant?
Oh boy. Well for starters, if a nonwhite individual was in that same position what do you think the chances would be they would get so many chances? Would they have people coming up with half a million in donations? It's the privilege to flout the law and get a slap on the wrist for it.

Oct 29, 2017
There's a reason why conservatives won't make a black business owner the martyr of an anti-lockdown movement. There's a reason why they'd think twice before sending hundreds of thousands of dollars to a black business owner.