• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GK86

Oct 25, 2017
Link.

A white woman is in the midst of an argument with a mixed-race couple, who were celebrating their 1-year-old daughter's birthday on a tree-lined esplanade in an upscale neighborhood in Houston.

The racially tinged incident, which occurred Feb. 16, is yet another public confrontation to draw focus on racism in the United States, after being filmed and going viral. It drew a flurry of media coverage and scrutiny to the woman, whom local media reports identified as Franci Neely, a "socialite" and ex-wife of Houston Astros owner Jim Crane.

Neely has since issued an apology.

"A week ago, I let my emotions overtake my better self," she said in a video posted to YouTube on Saturday. "And I apologize from the bottom of my heart. To my family, friends, neighbors and fellow Houstonians, I ask for forgiveness and understanding. I love Houston and ask that we come together to heal, and I extend my hand in friendship.

The incident occurred around 5:30 p.m. on Feb. 16, he said. The baby's father, Isaiah Allen, 31, made the complaint about an hour later. Allen told police that he and his wife were taking pictures of their baby when the woman approached, yelled at them and told them to get off the grass, Senties said. Allen said the woman struck him on his arms and hand, Senties said, before leaving the scene.

The area is marked by long-standing tensions between the homeowners association in the neighborhood near Rice University, southwest of downtown, and people who have come to use the esplanade for photo shoots, according to local reports.

The city of Houston maintains that the esplanades are public but has been engaged in a long struggle against the Broadacres Homeowners Association, which has argued that the streets and brick sidewalks are owned by the city but that the grass is owned by the Broadacres Trust, according to the Houston Chronicle.

The viral video does not capture what had sparked the argument. Allen's wife, Kelyn, said that the incident began when the woman drove by the esplanade and shouted at them through her window about "trampling the grass that we pay for." She then got out of the car, and a dispute ensued about the woman's dog running near the young child. The photographer the couple was working with approached the woman, Kelyn said, to try to defuse the situation.

JeffGubb

Giant Bomb
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Homeowners Associations are just the worst. We love telling other people what to do so god damn much that we create fiefdoms run by bored, miserable assholes.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
...why can't you just mind your own damn business.

I don't get racism, but even more so the mindset of instead of just glaring and driving by, going out and wasting all your time doing this shit.

And now this is their memory of first birthday

Fuck

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
Haha, this lady is in the wrong city if she wants to complain about multi-cultralism. Houston is the most diverse city in the country, it's not surprising that their might be two people of different races who decide to have a kid together.

CoolestSpot

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also what a B.S. aplogoy, bet she extends her metaphorical hand out while bringing her dog over.

Why the hell would you bring the dog over after it makes the kid cry?

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
What kind of person just wakes up one day and goes "Today I'm going to find a random group of people celebrating a child's birthday and make their day miserable".

like .. what kind of ignorance goes through the mind of someone like that.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Socialite" is the nice way of saying "rich, but does nothing and did nothing to earn it."

NeonBlack

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine driving home barefoot and stopping because you see someone taking pictures on the walkway.

JK-Money

Attempt to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Another story of white people telling other people what to do, but can't be told by other people what to do.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
So unless I'm understanding this wrong, it sounds like it was less to do with the couple's race, and more to do with the woman thinking that those grounds aren't for public use. Still doesn't excuse her behavior. And I'm not so sure she would have said anything if that were a white family. I'm already sensitive and highly aware of living in such a white area having a mixed-race baby where I fully expect someone to try and go off on me and my family. But thankfully we've had zero issues.

Dec 6, 2017
US
After her freakout, she got into her Jaguar.

That's a great absurd detail. Also, 30 mil.

Imagine being so rich you literally have nothing more pressing to do than violently interrupt a 1-year-old's birthday party, lord.

Tbm24

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe I missed it, but what about this is racially tinged? I ask primarily cus this is the kind of this I'm low key afraid of on my day to day as I go out and about with my daughter me being caramel brown and my daughter looks like her white mother.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Just wait till this summer when I remove that twig of a tree that's planted in my front yard and put a free standing shed in the back.
Sheds are great, at my old house had 3 in the backyard. One was from the previous owners, it was wired. When we movied we sold 2 of them and got rid of a lot of crap

Van Bur3n

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Bunch of useless old white people who have nothing left to do with their lives.

I live in a suburban area, and they're fucking everywhere. They have meetings at their neighborhood pool. Fucking laughable.

"Let us begin this poolside council meeting. Where is Mr. Jenkins with the Ritz crackers?"

"He is still walking his rat dog around the loop, it takes some time for him to get here"

"Do those crackers have MSG in them? I would prefer they do not hav-"

"Forego that thought, wrinkled brothers and sisters, did that car not stop entirely at that stop sign and wait exactly 10 seconds before accelerating? To arms, comrades! Gather your rakes and war yorkies! "

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
if you ever find yourself at any point in your life giving a shit about grass, you need to reexamine your priorities

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Maybe I missed it, but what about this is racially tinged? I ask primarily cus this is the kind of this I'm low key afraid of on my day to day as I go out and about with my daughter me being caramel brown and my daughter looks like her white mother.
Quickly running through the article, it doesn't seem to be claiming that this confrontation was necessarily racially motivated (in fact I'm not sure it even suggests it), and the "racially tinged" stuff is more commenting on the discussion surrounding it (and to be fair, there is an undeniable racial element to this whole situation, with the white woman harassing a mixed couple). Whether or not the woman was doing this because of racism (and with that whole "these people" comment, yeah, she probably was), this incident has contributed to the overall culture in which non-white people are harassed by white people for no reason whatsoever.