• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

supkid

Oct 29, 2017
Dublin, Ireland
I just use the default yellow, you gotta remember like if someone uses it once it is probably going to be in their most recently used ones so they may have only fretted over it once and then it was just there to select moving forward. It does feel a bit weird though that at some point a white person said "I need representation here" and picked the white one

What on Earth are you talking about? I'm white, I use the emoji that looks most like me.. you're telling me that's weird? That's a load of nonsense tbh.

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
I used to side-eye it as well. Like when a white person talks about their "heritage"...everyone has heritage, sure, and the concept of heritage is not inherently bad really. But it puts me on guard.

With that said I notice a ton of apps/interfaces constantly push to you select a skin tone when you use neutral color emoji, so I think especially nowadays it doesn't really mean anything for most people. I say this as a person who continues to use yellow and gets this popup seemingly all the time.

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
What on Earth are you talking about? I'm white, I use the emoji that looks most like me.. you're telling me that's weird? That's a load of nonsense tbh.
It can be a little bit weird I think, yeah. Like I said, it could go either way, it could be completely innocuous or it could be something kind of troubling, that's why I would not say it's like something to get bent out of shape over, which I don't think anyone is.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
I thought this was going to be about white people using black emjois, which I guess could be iffy.. But white people aren't allowed to use white emojis... Seriously? I hope this is a troll thread and not a serious thought you had.

Last edited:

Blackthorn

Oct 26, 2017
London
The thought of a white progressive agonising over whether their harmless emoji customisation could be interpreted as racist is very, very funny to me. You've unleashed a new wave of anxiety on this forum, OP.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
🙋‍♀️ I've seen some men on here use the female emojis as default and was curious on that side too 🕵️‍♀️

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I use the Brown Female ones...

...as I am mixed race...and Male...

...but the Female ones look better.

🙋‍♀️ I've seen some men on here use the women emojis and was curious on that side too 🕵️‍♀️

See? Female ones look better! 👸🏽

Lemme be a strong Nubian Queen if I want to be! 💁🏽‍♀️🙇🏽‍♀️🤷🏽‍♀️

Also, Era Emojis are trash! 🥴

butzopower

Oct 27, 2017
London
Pretty sure I was told (by Twitter posts) to use white as it didn't create a "normal" (yellow) and "other" - anyone I've seen using white are all people I would not expect to be doing it nefariously and would gander it's deliberate to show support.

XNihili

Banned
Jan 16, 2018
Using the white emoji is indeed a sign of going alt-right. Using another color emoji is racial appropriation.
The only solution is not to use emoji.
/s

EntelechyFuff

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Nov 19, 2019
🙋‍♀️ I've seen some men on here use the women emojis as default and was curious on that side too 🕵️‍♀️
I'm guilty as charged. For many of the "emoting" emoji (weird phrase) the emoji of women has always felt like the default to me. Plus I have long hair. Plus, in many cases, telling the difference between the kids/adults/genders is actually kind of difficult (I'm thinking of the bowing emoji in particular here).

Deleted member 41651

User-requested account closure
Banned
Apr 3, 2018
I just use a cryptic assembly of emojis. Like if I agree with something, it ain't gonna be a thumbs up. It'll probably be a snake going to a hospital building.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
I'm guilty as charged. For many of the "emoting" emoji (weird phrase) the emoji of women has always felt like the default to me. Plus I have long hair. Plus, in many cases, telling the difference between the kids/adults/genders is actually kind of difficult (I'm thinking of the bowing emoji in particular here).
That's interesting, thanks for the insight 💝

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
Is it trolling to purposely use emojis you know just lowkey piss of some people? Or is it more insidious? Asking for a friend.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
That's interesting, thanks for the insight 💝

For me, it just seems like the female one resonates with me more for some reason. Maybe it's because I feel myself as "not masculine", so I like them more.

Speaking about when I grow old? It's Brown Old Man. 👴🏾

Speaking in present times? It's Brown Girl. 💆🏽‍♀️

Speaking about me and my female friend ruling the world? Then I am the Brown Boy to separate from the Brown Girl. 🙋🏾‍♂️🙋🏾‍♀️

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
For me, it just seems like the female one resonates with me more for some reason.
tumblr_p442uu3pkr1w6it2jpe.gif

Mulberry

Oct 28, 2017
White people are so used to thinking of themselves as "default" for everything so the idea of needing to change from yellow to white just seems foreign to them.
The thought of a white progressive agonising over whether their harmless emoji customisation could be interpreted as racist is very, very funny to me. You've unleashed a new wave of anxiety on this forum, OP.
The Midwest is full of suburban white ladies mortified of offending a POC because they aren't sure what what's racist and what's not.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
i'm a caucasian German
I use some emojis with yellow and some with white
i don't even remember why some are set to white

how racist am I? plz rate me

RedMercury

Blue Venus
Dec 24, 2017
I feel like the pushback for just asking if it's weird is a bit more heated than just the consideration it could be a bit weird haha, like whenever anything comes up where there's the possibility of white people having considerations of racial implications people get defensive. I don't think anyone is saying anyone is a nazi or a bad person or anything, or getting upset over emoji use, it's just a small thing. White people are gonna be okay, use whatever emojis you want, if some people think it's a bit weird you know you're not doing anything wrong so there's no issue and it doesn't matter what some other people think

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
i have to think anyone who side eyes or thinks deeply about the usage of a white emoji is going wayyyy too deep into this shit lmao

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
I'm white and I use the white emojis because Simpsons yellow = default = white is kinda crap to me. You can side-eye me if that's your inclination, I don't control what people think of me. Hopefully I am progressive enough in my actions that I can overcome any biases people have about the emojis I use.

Hetz

Oct 27, 2017
This is one of the most silly threads I've seen on here, ever. I'm a White progressive and don't support All Lives Matter or Trump or anything like that. I use the white emoji most of the time, cause that is what I look like. If people think I am a racist or something because of that, well then I think they clearly have issues themselves to deal with.

Aiqops

Aug 3, 2021
I don't think about who uses what emote or gif. As far emojis goes I just use the regular yellow ones and even then barely, cause I prefer gifs.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I think some of mine are white and some are yellow, but wouldn't be able to tell you which emoji is what because I literally haven't spent half a second thinking about it, I just want the option box to go away.

HeavenlyOne

The Fallen
Nov 30, 2017
Your heart
Things I know about Them:
- They use light skinned emojis

Things I know about You:
- You make assumptions about them based on their usage of light skinned emojis

There is only one villain in this scenario.

White people are gonna be okay, use whatever emojis you want, if some people think it's a bit weird you know you're not doing anything wrong so there's no issue and it doesn't matter what some other people think

Literally no one has suggested that white people aren't going to be okay, so this just comes across as needlessly condescending. It isn't "being defensive" to point out that you think an idea is dumb.

Irikan

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm using yellow cause I don't care but that's a massive reach you're doing here lol, tf.

Messofanego

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I find it funny how many white people are getting angry and offended at the OP and blowing it out of proportion.
white_fragility_by_digi_matrix-dawhqyf.gif

Like he said this:
However changing from yellow to white it feels a lot like the "extra effort" some exert to respond "All Lives Matter". I feel like those I notice who do this I then start to see other signs of Trump stan/Conservatism bubbling up.​
So he's using anecdote here of noticing it but he's not generalising that any white person using a white emoji equals conservatism. He even opens it up to him possibly reaching too hard outside of his experience. White people being aware of their race has been more a recent thing when they've seen themselves as the default and superior for so many centuries. There's a positive in a white person identifying as white, at least better than colourblindness in regards to race. It's acknowledging the privilege.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
I'm pretty sure it was only recently there was a thread highlighting an article that said white people continuing to use the yellow emojis was weird. I can't remember the specifics of it, perhaps something to do with people who claim to not see race? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Of course, your average person doesn't think about any of this so maybe, I don't know, relax?

Irishmantis

Jan 5, 2019
I use the Brown Female ones...

...as I am mixed race...and Male...

...but the Female ones look better.

See? Female ones look better! 👸🏽

Lemme be a strong Nubian Queen if I want to be! 💁🏽‍♀️🙇🏽‍♀️🤷🏽‍♀️

Also, Era Emojis are trash! 🥴
They actually do

The female palm face looks way better than the male one for some reason so I use that

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
I find it funny how many white people are getting angry and offended at the OP and blowing it out of proportion.
white_fragility_by_digi_matrix-dawhqyf.gif

Like he said this:
However changing from yellow to white it feels a lot like the "extra effort" some exert to respond "All Lives Matter". I feel like those I notice who do this I then start to see other signs of Trump stan/Conservatism bubbling up.​
So he's using anecdote here of noticing it but he's not generalising that any white person using a white emoji equals conservatism. He even opens it up to him possibly reaching too hard outside of his experience. White people being aware of their race has been more a recent thing when they've seen themselves as the default and superior for so many centuries. There's a positive in a white person identifying as white, at least better than colourblindness in regards to race. It's acknowledging the privilege.

I'm not seeing all the anger you speak of? Mostly just shrugs and eye rolls.

OP at least recognises that they "possibly" reaching too hard. I think they might be on to something

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
The idea that the original, yellow emojis = white people is strange to me. Obviously, they were all made yellow in mimicking the original, iconic, yellow smiley face. Anyway, people should just use whatever they want. I'm white, have always used the default yellow emojis.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
Imagine overanalyzing something as simple as white person using white emoji and thinking this is normal line of thought.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I think if I'm offended by anything it's that we're all sitting around pretending this remake of a thread the off-site trolls ate with a spoon not even half a year ago was definitely made in good faith when
-It's a 4.5-year old account with 150 posts
-The account has never posted about social issues before
-The op made the thread and then ghosted

Just seems more than likely we're making entertainment for some internet shithole here when most already agree there's no issue with using whatever emojis you like. There's certainly nothing wrong with having the discussion, just as there's nothing wrong with thinking it is silly. But it's weirdly ironic that we're debating the merits of suspicion towards something so innocuous in a framework of conversation that is, itself, *incredibly suspicious,* without anyone questioning it.

PinkCrayon

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking of a skit where a white guy is teased by his poc friends in the group chat for using the white emojis, ending with him sending the yellow 'okay' emoji.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I used to use it, but there's so much judging and side-eye around it (as proven by this very thread and all those that came before it) that I just went back to yellow.

Not sure how white people being pushed to use the "default" option is any better though.

Duane

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I just use the one that looks most like me, and I just assumed it's because I'm kinda boring - which is also why I pretty much just make myself (including name) in every JRPG, WRPG, Sports Game, Wii/Mii/Avatar of any kind, and my user name here is my real name and photo (and even included my last name at the old place). 🤷‍♂️

I guess I'm either boring or maybe egotistical (or a little of both).

Status
Not open for further replies.