• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

krazen

Oct 27, 2017
Gentrified Brooklyn
you just proved my point, So quick to jump on people you dont even stop to think if you should. You have made 2 points in this post. You said I lack knowledge on the subject. You stated i've provided sympathy for a clear racist. Explain how ?

Not my fault you made a vague post (which imho was intentional) that made several users in this thread, including me, assume you were alluding to the recent discussion on mental health in the gaming community, trying to link it to this story with a person with a decade long history of hateful twitter posting outside of these recent irl incidents.

So either up the clarity of ya posts bruh, or say what you really fucking mean.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
When I read the thread title, I thought it was likely he is just some dumb 4chan loser that pretends to be on the spectrum, but we try not to assume those things. Guess what, turns out he was. Eff this guy.

Well, he may still have autism. That's kind of the thing here. I'm not an absolute expert here so if I am wrong somebody please feel free to correct me.

Autism is a pretty common condition with a spectrum of severity. This is sometimes referred to as "being on the spectrum." You may also be familiar with lower-level Autism traits in the form of Asperger's Syndrome. While the condition varies in severity, many millions of people have it, and it's not the same as being mentally unwell. It's just a condition some people have, which depending on its severity may require additional sensitivity to accommodate, but it's a normal and manageable condition that isn't a mental health disorder.

People on the autism spectrum sometimes have difficulty with social cues, seek rigid routines, and may have some difficulty learning through conventional education. They may also have innate talents and gifts for things like music and math. The spectrum manifests in a great variety of different ways and (I believe) one in every sixty people is somewhere on the spectrum. There are likely members in this very thread who have it. You probably know several people with it.

But for all the ways autism manifests, being racist isn't one of them. Something a lot of people with autism find very frustrating is when their condition is conflated with hateful or damaging behavior. This is a pretty big consequence of chan culture using "autism" to describe behavior they find intense or stupid. People on the spectrum, even people who go from 0 to 100 as a matter of emotional habit (as the person in this story describes) are no more predisposed to hatred or bigotry than any other person. Attributing these things to autism is often hurtful to people on the spectrum who then have to contend with stereotypes that their condition makes them bigoted or intolerant.

A way to think of it, I think, is that autism can make you shift between extremes or react to things more intensely than others. So if you are racist, you may express that racism intense or extreme ways.

Of course, there is often a need to take greater care when approaching people who do exhibit more severe autism traits. They are differently-abled people. There are different tactics and methods for communication that should be utilized when possible. I think people reacting to the story, which seems pretty racially motivated, are doing just that: reacting. certainly nobody is harassing or dehumanizing somebody based on this article. Just that this story is frustrating and unfortunate, especially for black people who are targets of this kind of prejudice.

The only treatment for autism is educational and behavioral therapy. This person seems to really need it. I hope they get it and can stop acting this way towards other vulnerable minorities.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Ah, the "I'm racist because I have autism" defense shows up somewhere besides just internet bottom-feeding discourse. I'm a little surprised I don't see it more often, frankly.

Trying to bring Etika into this is disingenuous.

Yeah, there are a lot of reasons that the cases aren't even remotely comparable and while I've never been interested in defending what Etika did in that instance, even now, he also wasn't engaging in targeted harassment of specific random people the way this guy is.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Autism. Does. Not. Make. You. An. Asshole.

This guys is only hurting us

Autism can absolutely cause or contribute to unusual or unfortunate social behaviors many of which are recognizable to medical professionals and are sometimes predictable systems that can be categorized and understood and even treated or self regulated.

but those behaviors do not until apparently now manifest themselves as a grouping as elaborate and coordinated as:

1. Expending significant-hydical and intellectual effort to harass, follow, insult and abuse people.
2. make nonsense calls to emergency services and narrating demonstrably false narratives to law enforcement
3. Use google glass to troll people in public and private places that object to it
4. film yourself doing these things, upload the results to youtube, and use social media to amplify and asvertise those behaviors
5. create and amplify an abusive and deliberately contradictory social media persona
6. use social media and news outrage cycles to amplify and promote all of the above behaviors and actions
7. coordinate with your husband who just happens to share or support the behaviors in 1-6 for years

now i admit i am not a medical professional nor an expert on a highly complex matrix of conditions, behaviors and symptoms - but i do know that he's not a medical professional either and that you cant self-diagnoze your degree of sutism on a sliding scale that goes up to 10 but never includes zero (his stated claim).

so even if he really is experiencing some form of autism - number 7 is going to extremely difficult to explain or accept.

Last edited:

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
I see from that Tweet by Tariq Nasheed that this dude wears Google Glasses. The Premier Choice for Creeps.

Books

Alt account
Banned
Feb 4, 2019
Even if you take him at his word that he isn't racist it is still abhorrent behavior to call the cops on people in the US for minor infractions. It's basically a flip of the coin whether or not they will ruin someone's life or escalate a situation into a crisis.
This is where I'm at.

As an aside, people with autism come in to my work on a weekly basis. Some of them on occasion blurt out some questionable things, but they appear to be on the other end of the spectrum from where this dude is at (and have handlers).

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Well, he may still have autism. That's kind of the thing here. I'm not an absolute expert here so if I am wrong somebody please feel free to correct me.

Autism is a pretty common condition with a spectrum of severity. This is sometimes referred to as "being on the spectrum." You may also be familiar with lower-level Autism traits in the form of Asperger's Syndrome. While the condition varies in severity, many millions of people have it, and it's not the same as being mentally unwell. It's just a condition some people have, which depending on its severity may require additional sensitivity to accommodate, but it's a normal and manageable condition that isn't a mental health disorder.

People on the autism spectrum sometimes have difficulty with social cues, seek rigid routines, and may have some difficulty learning through conventional education. They may also have innate talents and gifts for things like music and math. The spectrum manifests in a great variety of different ways and (I believe) one in every sixty people is somewhere on the spectrum. There are likely members in this very thread who have it. You probably know several people with it.

But for all the ways autism manifests, being racist isn't one of them. Something a lot of people with autism find very frustrating is when their condition is conflated with hateful or damaging behavior. This is a pretty big consequence of chan culture using "autism" to describe behavior they find intense or stupid. People on the spectrum, even people who go from 0 to 100 as a matter of emotional habit (as the person in this story describes) are no more predisposed to hatred or bigotry than any other person. Attributing these things to autism is often hurtful to people on the spectrum who then have to contend with stereotypes that their condition makes them bigoted or intolerant.

A way to think of it, I think, is that autism can make you shift between extremes or react to things more intensely than others. So if you are racist, you may express that racism intense or extreme ways.

Of course, there is often a need to take greater care when approaching people who do exhibit more severe autism traits. They are differently-abled people. There are different tactics and methods for communication that should be utilized when possible. I think people reacting to the story, which seems pretty racially motivated, are doing just that: reacting. certainly nobody is harassing or dehumanizing somebody based on this article. Just that this story is frustrating and unfortunate, especially for black people who are targets of this kind of prejudice.

The only treatment for autism is educational and behavioral therapy. This person seems to really need it. I hope they get it and can stop acting this way towards other vulnerable minorities.

I don't want to drag this thread too far off course with a debate as to the nature and potential manifestations of autism, so I will link to our community thread where a bunch of us discuss things. It is genuinely a disability and/or disorder, but you can still quite capably live with it:
www.resetera.com

Autistic ERA |OT| Slippin' on by on ASD

This a thread that shall hopefully serve at least two purposes. The primary purpose is to provide those of us that live on the Autistic Spectrum a place where we can discuss, seek friendly advice, and simply feel a bit less isolated in a world where we might not easily find our place...

Key in this is that while his supposed autism could contribute to his behaviours - in the way that many of us have fallen into bad habits from it - it is not the fundamental cause of, nor it is ultimately an excuse for, being racist. Even if not racist, it is not an excuse for being a dick. An explanation of the processes one might work through, so there was somehow not a racial motivator involved? Maybe. But not an excuse - not a justification. And well, that would only work in terms of the incident in itself, where the dude's twitter history quite readily lend weight to the argument that no, he wasn't merely obsessive about the observation of the rules that day.

Autism can absolutely cause or contribute to unusual or unfortunate social behaviors many of which are recognizable to medical professionals and are sometimes predictable systems that can be categorized and understood and even treated or self regulated.

but those behaviors do not until apparently now manifest themselves as a grouping as elaborate and coordinated as:

1. Expending significant-hydical and intellectual effort to harass, follow, insult and abuse people.
2. make nonsense calls to emergency services and narrating demonstrably false narratives to law enforcement
3. Use google glass to troll people in public and private places that object to it
4. film yourself doing these things, upload the results to youtube, and use social media to amplify and asvertise those behaviors
5. create and amplify an abusive and deliberately contradictory social media persona
6. use social media and news outrage cycles to amplify and promote all of the above behaviors and actions
7. coordinate with your husband who just happens to share or support the behaviors in 1-6 for years

now i admit i am not a medical professional nor an expert on a highly complex matrix of conditions, behaviors and symptoms - but i do know that he's not a medical professional either and that you cant self-diagnoze your degree of sutism on a sliding scale that goes up to 10 but never includes zero (his stated claim).

so even if he really is experiencing some form of autism - number 7 is going to extremely difficult to explain or accept.

Well, the '0 to 100' thing he's claiming is more in terms of what will set him and make him vindictive about a matter, not about to what 'extent' he's autistic. And that can be often true - one of the defining characteristics of the condition is how inordinately obsessive we can be about things, while struggling to hold interest and/or focus in other matters. These matters can be astonishingly elaborate if you get stuck on some niche interest or idea, or exceedingly broad and basic. If he's faking, the dude has at least read up on symptoms. If he's genuine, then he is self aware of how he is affected (at least in this regard). But one of the important things in being autistic is learning how to forcibly dial yourself back down as needed, and otherwise to know where you've been wrong for not doing so - otherwise you are still likely a dick, deliberately or otherwise. Now, that's harder to manage if one hasn't had sufficient support, but see the point above on how it still ain't an excuse. And well... okay this will sound like downplaying, but if the dude is married as you say, then he's got at least sufficient social awareness as to manage that hurdle. He can learn better, and he damn well should.

Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Yeah I really don't buy that excuse

And even if we we give him as much of the benefit of the doubt as absolutely possible with regards to his intentions (we shouldn't), there should be better ways to go about it than calling the fucking cops

Like if he's really that concerned that glass would break and broken glass could hurt someone or something, he could keep ceramic or plastic cups around to lend to anyone he sees bringing glassware to the pool or something

JJDubz

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
For all the issues that social media outlets like Twitter contribute to, at least it lets racist fuckheads show their ass (especially without being prompted).

Son Lamar

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Alabama
The discourse with how we treat people with mental health issues has been on my mind a lot due to personal issues and the Elktra thing. I made a gross post without fully understanding the context and I acknowledge that and really wish I had thought through it more. It fully reflects some blind spots on my part that I intend to work on but please don't pretend you know me.
Never said I knew or implied such but your original post speaks volumes of who you are tho that is not up for debate those were you're words and thoughts and yes you and others in here should reflect admitting that there is a problem os the first step which you did

But my point still stands even if it was true you still jumped to empathize with the racist and you didnt have a single thought toward the actual victims only that you hoped the aggressor wasnt harassed in the future so again your post speaks volumes rather you see that or not and still you have no words for the victims in this only that you made a mistake and attempted to play victim with that dont pretend you know me at the end of your post

To the surprise of not a single black person.
Indeed pretty crazy how someone mind can warp to that logic

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I don't want to drag this thread too far off course with a debate as to the nature and potential manifestations of autism, so I will link to our community thread where a bunch of us discuss things. It is genuinely a disability and/or disorder, but you can still quite capably live with it:
www.resetera.com

Autistic ERA |OT| Slippin' on by on ASD

This a thread that shall hopefully serve at least two purposes. The primary purpose is to provide those of us that live on the Autistic Spectrum a place where we can discuss, seek friendly advice, and simply feel a bit less isolated in a world where we might not easily find our place...

[snip]

Cool, thank you. I'm quite close with some folks on the spectrum, but I definitely recognize how different it is for everybody. I always appreciate the opportunity to learn more. I don't want to speak with any authority over something I'm off about.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Dude can go fuck himself. Ain't buying that shit from him.

To the surprise of not a single black person.

Pretty much. No where near a situation like this article by Tim Wise:

A few years ago it became obvious that Maw Maw, as we knew her, was developing Alzheimer's. Anyone who has watched a loved one suffer with the condition knows how difficult it is to witness the deterioration that takes place: the forgotten memories, the forgotten names, the unfamiliar faces, the anger of feeling abandoned; and finally, a regression back to a virtual infant stage of development. It is a fascinating disease, in that it renders otherwise healthy persons helpless, eventually causing not only a complete mental meltdown, but a physiological one as well. It renders its victims incapable of reason or comprehensible thought. It saps the conscious mind of its energy, and therein lies the point of my story.

You see, resisting socialization requires the ability to choose. But near the end of my grandmother's life, as her body and mind began to shut down, this consciousness — the soundness of mind which had led her to fight the pressures to accept racism — began to vanish. Her awareness of who she truly was disappeared. And as this process unfolded, culminating in the dementia ward of a local nursing home, an amazing and disturbing thing happened: She began to refer to her mostly black nurses by the all-too-common term that forms the linguistic cornerstone of white America's racial thinking. The one Malcolm X said was the first word newcomers learned when they came to this country. Nigger.

It was a word she would never have uttered from conscious thought, but one that remained locked away in her subconscious despite her best intentions and lifelong commitment to standing strong against racism. A word that would have made her ill even to think it. A word that would make her violent if she heard it said. A word that, for her to utter it herself, would make her another person altogether. But there it was, as ugly, bitter, and no doubt fluently expressed as it ever had been by her father.

Now think carefully about what I'm saying, and why it matters. Here was a woman who no longer could recognize her own children; a woman who had no idea who her husband had been; no clue where she was, what her name was, what year it was; and yet, knew what she had been taught at a very early age to call black people. Once she was no longer capable of resisting this demon, tucked away like a ticking time bomb in the far corners of her mind, it would reassert itself and explode with a vengeance. She could not remember how to feed herself. She could not go to the bathroom by herself. She could not recognize a glass of water for what it was. But she could recognize a nigger. America had seen to that, and no disease would strip her of that memory. Indeed, it would be one of the last words I would hear her say, before finally she stopped talking at all.

Please understand: Given this woman's entire life and the circumstances surrounding her slow demise, her utterance of a word even as hateful as this one says little about her. But it speaks volumes about her country; about the seeds of evil planted in every one of us by our culture; seeds that, so long as we are of sound mind and commitment, we can choose not to water; but also seeds that left untended sprout of their own accord. It speaks volumes about the work whites must do, individually and collectively to overcome that which is always beneath the surface; to overcome the tendency to cash in the chips that represent the perquisites of whiteness; to traffic in privileges and feel superior to others, not because of what they are, but rather because of what you're not: in this case, not a nigger.

Deleted member 22490

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Autism Andy

Edit: I see I was "warned" for this. Are people not aware of previous incidents where people call the cops on black people for various excuses - all of which are done out of bad faith? This isn't making fun of autism, it's making fun of people that use excuses to justify their behavior-and it's sad that this has to be explained. BBQs, Lemonade Stands, you name it. sigh.
You're still putting an unnecessary, unneeded, undesirable negative connotation on autism by associating it with the alliterative insult that pops up with these incidents.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Starr-Street showed the leasing office the video but when they reportedly failed to take action on the issue, he continued took the issue up with the Hyattsville Police Department.Two officers arrived on the scene soon after he made the call to them.

Damn, that's an extreme busybody snitch.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
You're still putting an unnecessary, unneeded, undesirable negative connotation on autism by associating it with the alliterative insult that pops up with these incidents.

That's the problem here. The issue isn't autism. The issue is a racist using autism as an excuse. The conversation is being sidetracked by people saying "Oh Autism was mentioned? I have autism."

The subject of this story is a racist.

Does anyone here think that the woman who called the cops on the little kids selling lemonade was really a story about lemonade?

MilesQ

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't buy it from the title and I was not the least bit surprised to see some racist ass tweets from the guy who called the cops.

It's hard enough for people with autism with the stigma attached to it, why the fuck try to make it worse for people just trying to live their lives? Both the ladies by the pool and others who actually have autism.

Prax

Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes autism + racism (and other learned asshole behaviours) combine into a very very unfortunate mix.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, the '0 to 100' thing he's claiming is more in terms of what will set him and make him vindictive about a matter, not about to what 'extent' he's autistic. And that can be often true - one of the defining characteristics of the condition is how inordinately obsessive we can be about things, while struggling to hold interest and/or focus in other matters. These matters can be astonishingly elaborate if you get stuck on some niche interest or idea, or exceedingly broad and basic. If he's faking, the dude has at least read up on symptoms. If he's genuine, then he is self aware of how he is affected (at least in this regard). But one of the important things in being autistic is learning how to forcibly dial yourself back down as needed, and otherwise to know where you've been wrong for not doing so - otherwise you are still likely a dick, deliberately or otherwise. Now, that's harder to manage if one hasn't had sufficient support, but see the point above on how it still ain't an excuse. And well... okay this will sound like downplaying, but if the dude is married as you say, then he's got at least sufficient social awareness as to manage that hurdle. He can learn better, and he damn well should.

I was talking about a different claim - one of his old tweets is Linked deep in that mess him describing his range of spectrum disorder using an ad hoc "2-10" scale.

andymoogle

Oct 27, 2017
Because white people believe their excuses.

See: this thread.
Yup. White people, especially white men, will defend bigotry until it's 100% clear that it's bigotry. Even then some will claim it's not bigotry, and the rest will shrug and move on. See whenever a famous white person use the n-word. Or see every Pewdiepie thread.

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Wise recounted that story in one of his talks and it made me simultaneously hopeless and resigned. Country is pretty much doomed to never actually confront itself. Can't be outraged if you don't expect better.

I feel you on that but It's not that it's hopeless. It's just the solution is that white people on a cultural level have to recognize the indoctrination of white supremacy and willingly stop it. But they seem content to dance around the crux of the matter.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I feel you on that but It's not that it's hopeless. It's just the solution is that white people on a cultural level have to recognize the indoctrination of white supremacy and willingly stop it. But they seem content to dance around the crux of the matter.
Which is why it's hopeless.

Either through an inherent empathy with racists because they look like friends and family ("if the blacks punish that guy, they'll come for my folks next") or an actual desire to maintain that power dynamic at whatever cost for whatever reason, white people as a whole are not going to do anything about white supremacy.

I was born in the wrong time to have a chance in hell for a post-white supremacist society. Oh well; I've got Overwatch at least.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
They using a black man with mental health issues to justify why a white racist is attacking black women lmao this ahit wild when you break it down

Yeah, it's definitely a cosmic brain take. It's like some people here took the absolute worst take away from Etika's entire tragedy, like

man...

Dude Abides

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nick Starr-Street sounds like the protagonist of an 80's cartoon created to sell toys.

Also cops probably should laugh at someone who calls them to report a violation of apartment complex pool rules.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess "I'm not racist I was just tired", "I'm not racist I was drunk" and "Satan made me do it" are not good enough excuses anymore

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I wanted to post this first time I saw his face but now I am compelled to.

Hlu8Qzj.gif