• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Even though wanting a formal vote on the inquiry is just stonewalling, what vote count is needed for the WH to deem it valid?

Oct 25, 2017
In the past, the House voted on impeachment inquiry because it granted them greater investigative powers, but the rules in the House have changed since then. They are free to conduct an impeachment inquiry however the fuck they want. The Executive branch has no power over how the House conducts an impeachment inquiry.

They want the House to hold a vote on it, because that will make it inherently political. AKA, they can point to the vote on party lines and say "see, it's just the Democrats trying to nullify 2016!" They also want the minority leaders to have subpoena power so they can go run bullshit counter-investigations to muddy the waters.

To tack onto this response, this isn't a bad overview of why things are different now. Republicans gave the House committees subpoena powers that they didn't used to have, and got rid of the need to consult with the minority on those subpoenas. Previously, the resolutions to open impeachment inquiries would include special subpoena powers for the involved committees.

So basically the Democrats don't need a formal vote giving them and the Republicans on the committees subpoena powers, since previous congresses decide to give the majority party subpoena powers all the time anyway. They apparently forgot they would not have the majority forever.

Feep

Lead Designer, Iridium Studios
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Nonsense, but I mean, Democrats should probably just hold the vote. It would obliterate a lot of the arguments being made by the right.

Edit: Well, I suppose LGHT_TRSN's explanation makes sense. It has pros and cons.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Nonsense, but I mean, Democrats should probably just hold the vote. It would obliterate a lot of the arguments being made by the right.
Again, what vote count is needed when no vote is required in the first place?

Deleted member 4614

Oct 25, 2017

Edit: Well, I suppose LGHT_TRSN's explanation makes sense. It has pros and cons.

The Republicans want a rushed vote for a reason.

Doomsayer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Dems should hit 'em with one of the rights favorite questions, "if you don't have anything to hide why are you worried?" Then subpoena all of the clowns. If they fail to comply, fucking arrest them.

Though the Dems are spineless so Nancy will probably write a strongly worded letter and be done with it.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is the document that they put out doesn't say they'd cooperate if they hold the vote. Really, it's the opposite, if they hold the vote the White House will just say "SEE!? THIS WAS A PARTISAN DEM ONLY WITCH HUNT! A COUPLE OF DEMS EVEN VOTED AGAINST THE INQUIRY! WIIIIITTTTTCCCCHHHH HUNT!" and then just continue to not give evidence until he's taken to court.

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will the Dems do anything? Will anyone? Wish I could say that I was hopeful, but nah.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
They realize that this doesn't matter, right? The Dems can still press forward and use this as fuel for an obstruction claim. Just makes them look guilty as fuck.
For the first time since that fucker's inauguration, I'm actually having fun.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing is the document that they put out doesn't say they'd cooperate if they hold the vote. Really, it's the opposite, if they hold the vote the White House will just say "SEE!? THIS WAS A PARTISAN DEM ONLY WITCH HUNT! A COUPLE OF DEMS EVEN VOTED AGAINST THE INQUIRY! WIIIIITTTTTCCCCHHHH HUNT!" and then just continue to not give evidence until he's taken to court.
Yup

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Will the Dems do anything? Will anyone? Wish I could say that I was hopeful, but nah.

They don't have to. Again, the White House can't stop an impeachment inquiry. It's literally built into the goddamn constitution. If the White House could stop an impeachment don't you think Nixon or Clinton would've done that?

voOsh

Apr 5, 2018
To tack onto this response, this isn't a bad overview of why things are different now. Republicans gave the House committees subpoena powers that they didn't used to have, and got rid of the need to consult with the minority on those subpoenas. Previously, the resolutions to open impeachment inquiries would include special subpoena powers for the involved committees.

So basically the Democrats don't need a formal vote giving them and the Republicans on the committees subpoena powers, since previous congresses decide to give the majority party subpoena powers all the time anyway. They apparently forgot they would not have the majority forever.

This. The reason for votes in the past was to obtain subpoena power. But when the GOP were last in control of the House they changed the rule such that the House majority automatically has subpoena power. The Democrats are following the rules the GOP themselves set up and are still getting stonewalled by the GOP.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This democracy derailed a bit ago. Kind of sad that we are holding on via half of one branch at this point.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Time to break out the Sergeant at Arms and the Capitol Police to arrest and indefinitely detain people until they comply with subpoenas.

Hell, subpoena Trump himself to testify in person.

May 26, 2018
You honestly think Kavanaugh or Thomas and (probably) Gorsuch or Alito are going to put the Supreme Court over the Republican party?

I'm not who you're replying to, but as a majority, yes, I believe the Supreme Court would. They have a shitload of power, are in lifetime appointments, and they're not about to transfer it to the Executive Branch.

TheExecutive

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
who will enforce it though, no one is coming to any hearings
It will have to come down to the courts. Unless the judicial branch decides to throw out the constitution
Think about if this is challenged in the courts however – how do you think the Supreme Court will rule? They obviously will vote on party lines.
I dont think that would be the case- party or not there is no precedent or grounds in the constitution to do so. However, if they did vote along party lines and tell Trump he is correct they would effectively nullify Congress oversight into the Executive Branch and then you may as well shred the constitution.

Tochtli79

Jun 27, 2019
Mexico City
Looking forward to the "White House declares 2020 Democrat victory illegitimate in 15 part tweet storm, Trump refuses to leave" thread next year

megalowho

Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Again, what vote count is needed when no vote is required in the first place?
The House is fighting a PR battle as much as they are a legal one. Republicans get this, it's why they will stonewall at every turn, distort the powers of the executive branch and poison the debate until any momentum behind impeachment is reversed. The vote is a card that Dems can play to "legitimize" the proceedings and raise the stakes higher, whether it is technically required or not. It's all getting tied up in the courts either way.

WedgeX

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine writing eight pages of bullshit that will go straight into history books.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
It's just bluster to try and defray the rising impeachment approval poll numbers. The White House can't actually do anything.

DrewFu

Banned
Apr 19, 2018
The House is fighting a PR battle as much as they are a legal one. Republicans get this, it's why they will stonewall at every turn, distort the powers of the executive branch and poison the debate until any momentum behind impeachment is reversed. The vote is a card that Dems can play to "legitimize" the proceedings and raise the stakes higher, whether it is technically required or not. It's all getting tied up in the courts either way.
I get that. My question is what vote count are the GOP looking for? A vote isn't needed in the first place, so what vote% would shut them up?