• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kevers

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Syracuse, NY
Thank god, I started a new job but didn't receive my first pay check yet. This will pay for my car insurance until that check gets deposited. A relief indeed.

Castor

Oct 29, 2017
New York City
Woo got my 2021 refund a couple of weeks ago so hopefully it's direct deposited instead of the paper checks I had to get for the other ones. Having it mailed to my old address and having someone from there

GulAtiCa

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Yea but I still don't understand why did a bank deposit for the first stimulus but cheque for second even though they have my bank info via turbo tax. I hope it is a deposit thsi time.
Might have to do with if you owed last year or so.

I was the same way. 1st was deposit, but when i paid taxes last year, i owed. So my 2nd was check. So I'm currently expecting a check this time too

Oct 25, 2017
Haven't been able to file taxes as an independent because of a loophole causing that action to mean my parents' health insurance premiums would go way up, much more than the money I'd get. I still live with them and wouldn't want that to happen, so had to pass on getting the previous checks, and probably this one too. We're waiting for them both to qualify for medicare.

It seems some people are saying that they might apply to the 2021 returns? Does that mean I might eventually get the money? Anyone who knows more and is willing to answer, that'd be greatly appreciated, thank you!

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Got the $600 one pretty much the couple of days it started rolling out. Time for infinite Taco Bell days

Marnie

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Haven't been able to file taxes as an independent because of a loophole causing that action to mean my parents' health insurance premiums would go way up, much more than the money I'd get. I still live with them and wouldn't want that to happen, so had to pass on getting the previous checks, and probably this one too. We're waiting for them both to qualify for medicare.

It seems some people are saying that they might apply to the 2021 returns? Does that mean I might eventually get the money? Anyone who knows more and is willing to answer, that'd be greatly appreciated, thank you!
Adult dependents qualify for the $1,400.00 so I believe your parents will receive it if they claim you. But when you file your 2021 taxes, you should qualify for it separately.

Oct 25, 2017
Adult dependents qualify for the $1,400.00 so I believe your parents will receive it if they claim you. But when you file your 2021 taxes, you should qualify for it separately.
The trick is I'm too old to count as a dependent this year, since I'll be 26 in 16 days. As far I can recall that means I can only file independently, but that comes back to the weird issue.

Futureman

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks. We also just did our taxes and had a baby last year. So we got the money for her as a return, but I think this one will probably be the same and we'll have to wait till tax season next year.

when was your kid born? Mine was born Feb 2020 and we just did our taxes a month or so ago and got his stim x2 from last year. I was assuming he'd just be included in this year's stim and we wouldn't have to wait til tax time next year. We've already filed and got our 2020 return if that matters.

Marnie

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
The trick is I'm too old to count as a dependent this year, since I'll be 26 in 16 days. As far I can recall that means I can only file independently, but that comes back to the weird issue.
I think they can still claim you since you since were still a dependent under the age of 26 for the 2020 tax year. Of course, I could be wrong. In which case, you'll be able to claim it when you file your 2021 taxes.

Marnie

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
Thank you. Do you know if that applies to the $1200 from 2020, and the smaller $600 too?
No, I don't believe it does. The first stimulus' packages didn't have adult dependents as eligible; only the third stimulus has them eligible. If you filed by yourself, you would get those funds but that sadly isn't an option for you.

LiQuid!

Oct 26, 2017
Can't wait to immediately use it to pay off a loan I got for a dental crown I needed, and then back to financial ruin I go

Oct 25, 2017
No, I don't believe it does. The first stimulus' packages didn't have adult dependents as eligible; only the third stimulus has them eligible. If you filed by yourself, you would get the funds but that sadly isn't an option for you.
OK, understood re: filing as dependent. Are you alsoo saying that even filing as an independent in 2021 wouldn't make me eligible for the first (and second?) stimulus retroactively?

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Wait, you're saying if they don't take my 2020 taxes into account (third kid), I won't get that credit for him until next year!?

I thought that was a monthly payment starting in July or something.
2020 taxes should be taken into account without issue since they would know you had that child. The people having kids this year should be the ones most affected and would have the need to wait to get the new credit.

But I am sure over the next days and weeks, the IRS will be issuing updated guidance on all of these scenarios.

Marnie

The Fallen
Dec 3, 2018
OK, understood re: filing as dependent. Are you alsoo saying that even filing as an independent in 2021 wouldn't make me eligible for the first (and second?) stimulus retroactively?
No, you would still not receive them. The first and second stimulus packages were a 2020 advanced tax credit -- they only can be claimed on a 2020 tax return.
But, if you file independently for 2021, you should receive the $1,400.00 again since it's a 2021 advanced tax credit that they are basing on 2020 or 2019 tax returns.

ColdDeckEd

Jul 25, 2018
Wait, you're saying if they don't take my 2020 taxes into account (third kid), I won't get that credit for him until next year!?

I thought that was a monthly payment starting in July or something.

Sorry I'm not sure, hope someone else can clarify. Ive read it was some of the money will be in 21 tax return and some will be given as a monthly payment so its really not clear to me. I'm definitely interested in getting clarification as well.

Oct 25, 2017
No, you would still not receive them. The first and second stimulus packages were a 2020 advanced tax credit -- they only can be claimed on a 2020 tax return.
But, if you file independently for 2021, you should receive the $1,400.00 again since it's a 2021 advanced tax credit that they are basing on 2020 or 2019 tax returns.
Based on 2020 or 2019 tax returns? Wouldn't that mean I'd have to have filed during those years?

I guess just simply put, you're saying if I file this year I should be able to get this one as a tax credit later, right?

Kayotix

Oct 25, 2017
Got our $600 ones really quick so here's hoping these drop fast too. Will be $4200 for our family.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah that sucks if you're already in the garnishment phase and have already had a court order out there. But that would take awhile to get to if you're not there already, so.......

HaL64

Nov 3, 2017
How did they get that money so fast without taxing Warren Buffet?

oh right
fGkCMWD.gif

TraBuch

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I know, but the last two were protected against even that, this isn't, correct? My aunt is in that situation.