• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

SideMatt

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was one of the people that got screwed by TurboTax and only got the money because I was able to update my direct deposit information on time when they alerted me to it.

They should be using that information this time, right?
Is there a specific place you can go to update this information for the stim check? I don't remember how it was last time and I got late-ish checks both times :/

Also good luck to you all and I hope the checks reach everyone soon :)

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
I changed to CashApp this return. They're supposed to get things 2 days early. So we'll see.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
Is there a specific place you can go to update this information for the stim check? I don't remember how it was last time and I got late-ish checks both times :/
TurboTax had a specific page set up to do so that they emailed you if you were affected by their screw up. I don't think that page is up anymore, though.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
I don't qualify for stimulus based on 2019, but its looking I may based on 2020. However, I have not filed 2020 yet and probably won't for another few weeks. I am just hosed as far as getting this stimulus goes due to timing? I've tried to google it, but couldn't find a clear answer.

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
They had one for the very first stimulus, but unlikely to roll it out again. They didn't for the second stimulus.

This is hard to explain... but payments to the IRS, even via their own portal, are treated as separate from the tax filing completely and do not confer permission to deposit funds into an account. Refund DD info is actually on your tax return and includes said permission.
Ah thanks, I understand what happened now. Just seems so weird that the IRS taking money from your bank account means nothing and they need separate permission to deposit money there.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I got the first 1200 and never the second 600. Literally nothing about my income changed. Just assuming I'm gonna get fucked on this one too and if not it'll be a pleasent surprise. Not gonna set myself up for disappointment.

This exact same thing happened to me, and I still can't find an answer. I'm filling 2020 taxes today, but it feels too late to help. Godspeed to the both of us, friend.

Lost Lemurian

Nov 30, 2019
I need to get my taxes done so I can get my refund check too and then I'll be swimmin' in cash.

Just in time for the weather to start getting nice so I can do some projects outdoors.

Br3wnor

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't qualify for stimulus based on 2019, but its looking I may based on 2020. However, I have not filed 2020 yet and probably won't for another few weeks. I am just hosed as far as getting this stimulus goes due to timing? I've tried to google it, but couldn't find a clear answer.

The only thing you'll probably be able to do is claim it as a credit on your 2021 taxes

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Im gonna have to rely on physical checks since IRS doesnt have my bank account info apparently. I got the 600$ checks pretty quick.

tangeu

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I'm surprised, I expected a few weeks at best (physical checks in a month or two).

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
well damn, I didn't expect it so quickly.

and my federal refund came in today, with the updated info for dependents. so good timing.

shinobi602

Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Fuck, I just did my taxes earlier this week. We had a third child last year so that's new on our returns this year.

Hope I wasn't too late and they take that into account for the payments.

魑魅魍魎

Oct 25, 2017
Did you have TurboTax deduct their fee from your refund? Or did you pay their fee directly and receive the full refund via direct deposit into your bank account.

If the former, they fucked that up before, so who knows. If the latter you should be fine.
That's good to know. I had to use turbo tax this year and thankfully i paid the fee rather than take it from the refund.

Domcorleone

Oct 26, 2017
My wife and I filed jointly for the first time last night- it was accepted by the IRS. Are they going to use 2020 or 2019? I didnt file for 2019 so will I get fucked?

RedEye

Oct 25, 2017
got the first stimulus by check, second by DD and also pretty quickly so here's hoping that's the case again. I Also used turbo tax