• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

President Trump is moving to revamp federal agencies' racial sensitivity trainings, casting some of them "divisive" and "un-American," according to a memo by the White House Office of Management and Budget.

In the two-page memo, OMB Director Russell Vought says that Trump has asked him to prevent federal agencies from spending millions in taxpayer dollars on these training sessions. Vought says OMB will instruct federal agencies to come up with a list of all contracts related to training sessions involving "white privilege" or "critical race theory," and do everything possible within the law to cancel those contracts, the memo states.

The memo, released on Friday, also tells all federal agencies to identify and if possible cancel contracts that involve teaching that America is an "inherently racist or evil country."

Oct 31, 2017
because abusing non-white people is the American way.

It actually makes sense in the most honestly gross way possible

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly, they should be abolished and replaced with something better. LEOs just laugh off these seminars and such. They're a joke.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
I'm sure every business HR department is going to love the flurry of exemption requests/objector escalations for their required annual training because Trump has politicized this.

This always on, jet fuel octane culture war stuff has got to stop.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't law enforcement, its trainings for regular civil servants. And likely all contractors as well.

I'm just using Law Enforcement because I recently saw undercover video of officers treating it like a joke. Is the training any more effective in other fields? I mean we've had sensitivity training for how to treat female coworkers for decades and still got a lot of "Now we can't talk to women" when metoo became prominent. There's gotta be more effective ways to get the message across than the posters and seminars noone pays attention to.

Dis

Oct 27, 2017
I do have to laugh at how often trumps admin has claimed they need to cut a section or whatever part of government because it costs millions of dollars to tax payers.......ignoring that trump has wasted what over 100 million alone in golf trips because he doesn't want to do his fucking job, or the fact that America throws billions of dollars around to the stock market or their friendly lobby friends like they're handing out candy but somehow the millions spent on something that is very much needed and needed at an even bigger funding level is a problem.........how about you take it out of the military budget, in fact how about you take some extra out of it to also teach the usa military how to act properly in all situations and not just let them have free reign on the world under the knowledge the USA won't allow anyone else to hold them accountable for attacking other races abroad as well.

OP
OP
RDreamer

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I do have to laugh at how often trumps admin has claimed they need to cut a section or whatever part of government because it costs millions of dollars to tax payers.......ignoring that trump has wasted what over 100 million alone in golf trips because he doesn't want to do his fucking job, or the fact that America throws billions of dollars around to the stock market or their friendly lobby friends like they're handing out candy but somehow the millions spent on something that is very much needed and needed at an even bigger funding level is a problem.........how about you take it out of the military budget, in fact how about you take some extra out of it to also teach the usa military how to act properly in all situations and not just let them have free reign on the world under the knowledge the USA won't allow anyone else to hold them accountable for attacking other races abroad as well.
The thing is that this isn't about money. A normal Republican maybe would have done that. They're out there saying it needs to stop because trying to be less racist is in-American.

I like how it's not "look at this good thing I'm doing over here" but instead "don't look at that terrible thing I'm doing over there, look at this other terrible thing I'm doing here".
The ultimate irony for Trump is that he is possessed of an all-consuming lust to be remembered by history as the greatest of men.

But he is pathologically incapable of doing anything except insure he is remembered as the worst.

Deleted member 283

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The distraction machine is in full effect.
I really wish this "distraction" stuff would die in a fire.

It was stupid four years ago, it's stupid right now.

"Trump's trying to distract from one disaster showing he's a terrible and incompetent leader by starting some other disaster which also shows he's a terrible an incompetent leader!"

Either way, the point remains that he's a terrible and incompetent leader.

The distraction narrative makes no sense, because it changes absolutely nothing. The reaction is the same. The results are the same. The optics are the same. Absolutely nothing changes.

And yet, after four years, we still have people saying that, as if that makes any sense whatsoever.

It doesn't. Even if it were to be a "distraction" it doesn't actually help Trump in any way, and is just replacing one way he's terrible with another, so it doesn't move the needle at all and is a completely nonsensical strategy from every level.

Not to mention that on top of that, on top of that, whether it's intentional or not, saying it's just a distraction carries a huge subtext that stories like these don't matter because "they're just distractions" when they absolutely do, they're absolutely damaging as well, and absolutely deserve the focus as well precisely because of the damage they do as well.

That may not be an intentional subtext of the "distraction" subtext, but it's what it's saying, whether that's intentional or not. That these stories don't matter, and they either shouldn't be talked about at all or much less than other stories, despite the very important and real repercussions stories like these will have as well, and thus why they absolutely deserve coverage and should be exactly the opposite of just getting brushed aside.

I'm so, so tried of the "distraction" narrative over the past four years because of reasons such as those and honestly so much more on top of it, and wish that silly talking point would go away and just disappear into the aether where it belongs, but alas...

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
imagine how much better the world would be if most republicans were dead
Republicans, to my knowledge, aren't a thing outside of the USA. But Right-wingers in general, yeah, I think they could all be blinked away and this world might benefit from it. Society will be able to progress, and the Earth will be able to heal from all the pollution and shit Right-leaning corporations are doing to it.

Oct 27, 2017
Lol.... don't really know what more to say. Mans is trying his hardest to show how much he hates PoC, and people on the right will still pretend to be 'shocked' when they hear reports of him using slurs behind closed doors.

"Trump's trying to distract from one disaster showing he's a terrible and incompetent leader by starting some other disaster which also shows he's a terrible an incompetent leader!"

The distraction narrative makes no sense, because it changes absolutely nothing. The reaction is the same. The results are the same. The optics are the same. Absolutely nothing changes.

And yet, after four years, we still have people saying that, as if that makes any sense whatsoever.

It doesn't. Even if it were to be a "distraction" it doesn't actually help Trump in any way, and is just replacing one way he's terrible with another, so it doesn't move the needle at all and is a completely nonsensical strategy from every level.

Not to mention that on top of that, on top of that, whether it's intentional or not, saying it's just a distraction carries a huge subtext that stories like these don't matter because "they're just distractions" when they absolutely do, they're absolutely damaging as well, and absolutely deserve the focus as well precisely because of the damage they do as well.

That may not be an intentional subtext of the "distraction" subtext, but it's what it's saying, whether that's intentional or not. That these stories don't matter, and they either shouldn't be talked about at all or much less than other stories, despite the very important and real repercussions stories like these will have as well, and thus why they absolutely deserve coverage and should be exactly the opposite of just getting brushed aside.

I'm so, so tried of the "distraction" narrative over the past four years because of reasons such as those and honestly so much more on top of it, and wish that silly talking point would go away and just disappear into the aether where it belongs, but alas...
^^^^

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Racial sensitivity training is un-american

I mean, given America's history...

PpV0evc.png

Oct 27, 2017
We have answered the question of what a government run by a CSPAN crank-caller looks like.

We must vote in numbers too large to suppress.

OP
OP
RDreamer

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

Yeah I hate it too. From a strategic point, sure it makes sense but yeah you're sending a message to people about what's 'important' and what isn't by saying one is a distraction.

Trump calling veterans and POWs losers is bad because he doesn't care about people he's entrusted to be in charge of.

Trump getting rid of racial sensitivity training and broadcasting that the notion of learning our history or trying to eradicate racism is in-American is bad because he's entrusted to be the president of PoC too.

If one is a distraction that says something.

Doorman

Oct 25, 2017
Michigan

[...]

I think that calling this a "distraction strategy" is not correct in its terminology (and I wouldn't really call it a "strategy" either, or at least not a planned and intentional one). Rather than a distraction strategy I think the way to describe this would be more like...Systematic Controversy Exhaustion.

Trump lies, constantly. He does things that run contrary to the general American populace, constantly. He further divides the nation's opinion on core issues, constantly, as a result of him viewing the entire world in terms of "deals" built to benefit specifically himself and no one else. Any one of these stories, in a normal presidential cycle, becomes huge news, because it shows up after periods of American politics operating under "business as usual." What he does, and does regularly, is overload the media and the people's capacity for processing bullshit. Very rarely does any particular story get enough time to breathe and be fully investigated, because within two weeks he's done or said something else extremely inflammatory that then takes up the top-shelf space of the news cycle. Cover up one story with a blatant lie, and there's not enough time or attention paid to debunk one lie only to be thrown another to gnaw on, when meanwhile there are other new stories that are also worth being talked about. At this point though, as I said, we've surpassed capacity. Over the course of these four years, everyone by now has either reached a point where they already know Trump is horrible, or have already defended enough of his terrible behaviors that twisting logic into yet another defense no longer works as a deterrent for supporting him (or pretend to be in the middle and "undecided" still, but I'd venture that those people are either fooling themselves or are trying to save public face--they want to vote for Trump because Republican but don't want to own up to what it actually means to support him). Every time the media brings up another horrible sounding story about him, it's thrown onto such a vast pile of the shit he's done that in addition to the lies, he and his supporters can just brush any individual story off as "look, the media is just jumping onto some new thing to be outraged about to try and discredit him, because the last story didn't lead to any real punishment," as a political move regardless of the legitimacy of the outrage.

I agree with you that these stories are worth being reported and put on the record, if only for history, but I disagree on part of it--at this point, these stories don't matter. In practical terms, the Republican-led senate has already shown and guaranteed that Trump will receive no political consequences for any of his multitude of transgressions. The election--if its integrity holds up--is and always has been the only tool that will really check him, and the election is based on the opinions of the voting population, not history, not fair reporting, and not facts.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl

99% of the time I'd agree with you. And while this isn't a distraction to the country at large, it is a distraction to his base.

His base is extremely pro-military to the point to saying "Let's get our troops home" was used AGAINST Democrats in the past as "disrespecting the troops"

Now Trump has been caught disrespecting the troops and trying to dismantle services for the troops. He needs to get his base to ignore that. And the best way to get them to is racism.

Dismantling these seminars is a clear play to his base that even though he said some bad stuff about the troops, he wants you to know that he won't force you to treat minorities as people.

Doing it on a Friday makes sure that it's the only thing talked about during the weekend and his base can focus on how it's okay to be a bigoted prick instead of his actions towards the Military.

I agree with you that it's not a distraction to 60%-65% of the country. But we're not the target of the distraction. He's keeping his base riled up on his side, because he just loves the adoration and blind loyalty. He honestly doesn't care what the rest think.

Oct 25, 2017
Gross, this guy is a shit stain and I have never been more energized to vote for a democrat in my life. How in the hell people look at this and say they are basically the same is crazy.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
I feel like this administration is already entering "Break as much stuff as possible until January" mode.

meowdi gras

Feb 24, 2018
How long before the Trump administration says that Americans are white?
"Real" Americans, you mean? If you haven't heard him saying as much over the past 4+ years, it's only because he doesn't always crank up the megaphone so that he's heard loud and clear over the din.

That volume knob keeps getting turned up progressively louder, though.