• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
LOL. NO

But I sure do appreciate all these precedents where a POTUS can tell Congress to FO and finance their pet projects from DoD funds

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The libertarian's dream. Just shut down government and reactivate only the parts libertarians will like.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
So...they'll be forcing some employees back to work to help process and distribute tax refunds, while not being paid for that work themselves?

viskod

Nov 9, 2017
The NYT article on this mentions that the refunds come out of the governments general fund, so.... paying them out during a shutdown is probably illegal.

Nerdyone

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
who is going to do the actual review of the returns though? Tell you one thing, there are going to be very few audits this year

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
The NYT article on this mentions that the refunds come out of the governments general fund, so.... paying them out during a shutdown is probably illegal.

Yep. You can't circumvent laws just because even if it sucks. This is why legislation is being presented by the Dems. In other words don't believe the WH because they lie and make up shit.

White House was looking for a legal justification to reverse existing policy and allow refunds to be issued. But committee lawyers believe the law prohibits such a move, because refunds are paid out of the government's general fund. Committee staff said Monday they were struggling to get clarity from administration officials, many of whom are out on furlough. "We keep trying to call people at I.R.S. and Treasury," said Daniel Rubin, a spokesman for the Ways and Means Committee, "and there's no one there."

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
pzJQl7p.gif

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
So basically claim a bunch of bullshit deductions because the disgruntled IRS workers are going to be putting in minimum effort.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Will they process other forms? I was recently contacted by my kid's school because the IRS never sent them the verification for nonfiling for his FAFSA.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's not going to work, even if it is somehow legal there's no way that IRS employees are going to do it without fighting it tooth and nail. Why would you ever be willing to take part in work that may not be legal, that you will not be paid immediately to do, and will risk never getting paid for?

This shutdown is really going to damage the perception of one of the best perks of federal government jobs, the stability, which will only make it harder for the government to recruit good staff in the future. As with everything Trump does he's not only screwing stuff up now but poisoning the well for the next generation

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
They're giving refunds, but no one is there to check them? Well, this just happens to be the year we had octuplets

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
This is pretty shitty for the IRS workers, but I guess they can apply for their own refunds if they are eligible and live off of that while they aren't getting paid. I dunno, whole thing seems really unfair they are expected to work without pay while giving payouts to other people.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
This is pretty shitty for the IRS workers, but I guess they can apply for their own refunds if they are eligible and live off of that while they aren't getting paid. I dunno, whole thing seems really unfair they are expected to work without pay while giving payouts to other people.

Who said they're getting refunds? It's crazy how dysfunctional the government has become in just two years. The fact that we are even discussing federal workers waiting on tax returns to live off of because they don't have a paycheck is insane.

thefit

Oct 25, 2017
So pretty much don't believe the White House, they want to try to fool the Democrats into thinking they figured out how to circumvent rules and legislation and are trying to paint things as under control for the public so they don't have to budge.

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
Who said they're getting refunds? It's crazy how dysfunctional the government has become in just two years. The fact that we are even discussing federal workers waiting on tax returns to live off of because they don't have a paycheck is insane.
I highly doubt many IRS agents are overpaying their taxes and getting a refund,

Kenai

Oct 26, 2017
Hahaha. At least he is vaguely aware of how people not getting their taxes is going to utterly destroy him.

And yea no one is going to actually get their refunds until the shutdown ends, what kind of bs is that and who actually believes it is legal? He won't be able to stall on this long at all either. It's a matter of when.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Yeah that's not going to work, even if it is somehow legal there's no way that IRS employees are going to do it without fighting it tooth and nail. Why would you ever be willing to take part in work that may not be legal, that you will not be paid immediately to do, and will risk never getting paid for?

This shutdown is really going to damage the perception of one of the best perks of federal government jobs, the stability, which will only make it harder for the government to recruit good staff in the future. As with everything Trump does he's not only screwing stuff up now but poisoning the well for the next generation

Yup, IRS employees of all people aren't going to go against the rules. They're some of the most analytical people that go to the book consistently. When I was in high school I worked as a grocery cashier and an IRS employee worked there as a 2nd job. Any time someone bought booze out of state he had his own binder of license formats by state.

base_two

Oct 27, 2017
I highly doubt many IRS agents are overpaying their taxes and getting a refund,

I agree. In fact, everyone should adjust exemptions to owe a little to prevent overpaying and instead just pay the IRS whatever is owed at tax time. You can do a lot more with your own money than what the IRS can do, including sticking that money to be paid in an interest bearing account.

ruggiex

Oct 27, 2017
Trump probably realized if he keeps government shutdown then the dems can't supoena his tax return since no one will be at IRS!

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
May as well just decide we can pay federal workers during a shutdown while we are at it

In fact everything that happens during a shutdown is no longer happening

We're still shutdown though. Will go on for years