• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
How can governer Abbott accept emergency aid from the man that stole the presidency?

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Someone should tell Joe he didn't win Texas so those aren't his people and he shouldn't help them

Biggzy

Oct 27, 2017
Well would you look at that, a president who is governing the country as a union of 50 states rather than a union of only red states.

LogicAirForce

Oct 25, 2017
Why are tax-payer dollars going to a state that constantly threatens leaving the Union? Perhaps that money should go to #RealAmericans instead

Oct 28, 2017
Siloam Springs
I thought they were seceding? /s Oh, that was on until they actually had to have a functioning government to make things work properly or they figured they could have a cash grab on their way out...

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
Hey guys we are kinda having a real scary emergency in Texas right now so can we maybe not make this about Trump/Abbott or pretend that Era folks don't live here?

Oct 27, 2017
Hey guys we are kinda having a real scary emergency in Texas right now so can we maybe not make this about Trump/Abbott or pretend that Era folks don't live here?
Yeah, please?

Unless you wanna direct your hot dunks at the frozen streets I need to drive on to try and get to work tonight (which probably isn't happening, but I guess I gotta make an effort), the state isn't equipped for this at all. Nobody owns snow shovels. No city has snow plows. There's no way all the homeless here in Austin aren't suffering out there.

But yeah har har fuck Texas etc.

SigSig

Oct 26, 2017
...but the dunk!
Also, somehow states which moved the needle a couple points over 50% are more deserving of help than those which are just below 50%. Part of the tiny 46% minority? Guess you can die.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Please stop with the ridiculous posts like "They didn't vote for you" or "They want to leave the union".

Texas is a big state and a few idiots do not represent the entirety of the state. It's childish.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Yeah, please?

Unless you wanna direct your hot dunks at the frozen streets I need to drive on to try and get to work tonight (which probably isn't happening, but I guess I gotta make an effort), the state isn't equipped for this at all. Nobody owns snow shovels. No city has snow plows. There's no way all the homeless here in Austin aren't suffering out there.

But yeah har har fuck Texas etc.

This. I'm the first one to get in line to shit on Abbott but this storm is scary for a lot of people. We aren't built to handle this.

I have not kept up with the news, what's going on in Texas?

It's 10 degrees outside with a windchill of -16 expected with snow and rolling power outages for me.

Aug 27, 2018
I have not kept up with the news, what's going on in Texas?
My understanding of things like this is basically...states like Texas are not equipped to deal with snow, so when it snows the entire region shuts down because it's not like they have snow plows etc like states like Nebraska do (where I live). Even here relief for winter is mediocre at best and that's from a state that's prepared to deal with it. I couldn't imagine living in a place with zero preparedness for snow.

Fiction

Fanthropologist
Oct 25, 2017
Elf Tower, New Mexico
My understanding of things like this is basically...states like Texas are not equipped to deal with snow, so when it snows the entire region shuts down because it's not like they have snow plows etc like states like Nebraska do (where I live). Even here relief for is winter mediocre at best and that's from a state that's prepared to deal with it. I couldn't imagine living in a place with zero preparedness for snow.
A ton of people have lost power too, due to the fact that we have a lot of wind power. Ice is a huge problem for wind, and well, it's not really an issue here so they built a lot of wind plants :(

Ablacious

Dec 23, 2018
My ire is directed to the power grid. Capacity will not keep up with demand, so brown outs will keep happening.
Man, I wish I had that rare working fireplace.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
It's -7 F up here in Amarillo, like -24 F with wind chill but we were spared the worst of the snow predictions. Warmed by the fact it was below -22 F here back in 1899, that must have sucked.

Oct 27, 2017
My power was out for 26 hours when the storm first hit, with Oncor Energy constantly pushing the ETA on restoration back two to four hours that whole time. And I had it lucky!

After all that and given their love of time dilation, not thrilled about their proposal of rolling "45 minute" outages.

blackhawk163

Oct 28, 2017
I remember back in 99 or maybe 2000 when an ice storm hit and I was stationed in ft hood, I think the precip was about 1/4 an inch and the base shut down. I was like wtf? As a native New yorker who lived up near Canton NY all I could do was shake my head. It was the first time for me seeing people whowere not accustomed to icy conditions, try and cope with that kind of weather.

Stay safe era

Deleted member 9305

Oct 26, 2017
They haven't voted for Biden, right? I guess, no help then? That's what we learned from Trump, no? That's how it works now?

Oct 30, 2017
^^ It's 10F and icing, and there are semi permanent settlements of homeless people that will have fatalities but ha ha Texans don't know how to deal with snow those babies.

I remember back in 99 or maybe 2000 when an ice storm hit and I was stationed in ft hood, I think the precip was about 1/4 an inch and the base shut down. I was like wtf? As a native New yorker who lived up near Canton NY all I could do was shake my head. It was the first time for me seeing people whowere not accustomed to icy conditions, try and cope with that kind of weather.

Stay safe era
It's not the people it's the infrastructure. They don't have a fleet of plow trucks with twenty thousand tons of road salt.

Oct 27, 2017
I might be wrong but I think people in this thread are missing the sarcasm. The people dunking on Texas are referring to the time Texan congressmen and senators didn't want release emergency funds to blue states.

of course Biden should help, we're pointing how ridiculous guys like Cruz and Cornyn are.
Yeah, no, we're aware. We have those assholes representing us. A lot of folks in Texas are painfully aware, trust me.

It just doesn't help matters and feeds the popular "fuck the south/red states" narrative that is frankly exhausting to read here, again and again.

We're just tired, y'all.

Snagret

Oct 25, 2017
^^ It's 10F and icing, and there are semi permanent settlements of homeless people that will have fatalities but ha ha Texans don't know how to deal with snow those babies.

It's not the people it's the infrastructure. They don't have a fleet of plow trucks with twenty thousand tons of road salt.
I almost got stuck at work on Thursday because at the end of my shift my car was almost frozen solid (literally like a half inch of ice covering the whole thing, it was just kinda cold when I got to work and in 8 hours it rained and then froze everything). Not to mention that we had huge swaths of power outages. I'm in north austin and my power went out for 2.5 days just before the weekend, my apartment got down to 41 degrees. Our heaters aren't equipped to deal with these temperatures which likely means a huge strain on the power grid the next couple days which just means more outages.

And I'm one of the lucky ones that even has a place to stay. We've had a huge upsurge in homeless population since covid started, really hope they made it safely to shelters...

Schlorgan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Salt Lake City, Utah
Here in Houston we have streets covered in black ice with snow on top of it. This state is just not prepared. We don't have salt or plows. And there have been numerous power outages. A winter storm that might be mild up north can be fatal in a place that's not prepared
This. It's why in GA a few inches shuts everything down. They don't have the infrastructure in place to deal with any amount of snow since it happens so infrequently. And Texas is getting a lot of snow right now.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I do think it is worth pointing out that the government is functioning again now that Trump is out of office. We cannot let Trump supporters, especially those in Texas, forget that if this was a Blue state and he was still president he would be bitching about bailing them out, complaining about them not voting for him and demanding thanks from the state and acting like a fucking hero. Biden just sends it. Like a president should. That's if Trump even sent the money at all.

It's good to have normalcy again. Stay safe Texas.

Chuck

Oct 25, 2017
I seriously doubt anyone here doesn't think Texans deserve the aid in this emergency.

it's just that this statement from Abbott is hilarious compared to other bullshit he's said recently, like this:
Texas Governor Vows To Sue Biden Over Climate Change Orders
Texas Gov. Greg Abbott said the state is ready to sue the the Biden administration over new environmental regulations, signing an executive order against what he described as "regulatory overreach" by the federal government one day after President Joe Biden unveiled a sweeping order on climate change.

pink

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I might be wrong but I think people in this thread are missing the sarcasm. The people dunking on Texas are referring to the time Texan congressmen and senators didn't want release emergency funds to blue states.

of course Biden should help, we're pointing how ridiculous guys like Cruz and Cornyn are.

/s went right over my head

carry on ;P

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I seriously doubt anyone here doesn't think Texans deserve the aid in this emergency.

it's just that this statement from Abbott is hilarious compared to other bullshit he's said recently, like this:
I can understand Texans right now not giving a shit about the hypocrisy of Republicans in the midst of a crisis. I don't blame them.

But I do feel like that is how Republicans come back and win again because people seem to have Political memories of goldfish. I would be reminding my Texas family about how Trump treated California at these times and note how Biden didn't play games. He's acting like the president of all people not just his voters.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
It's a little maddening after all the BS from the last 4 years the local TX government can just go ahead and ask for help.

I just hope its time for TX to stop with the bs games. I'm glad the Biden admin gonna treat all states the same so I do hope TX changes its ways too.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
I can understand Texans right now not giving a shit about the hypocrisy of Republicans in the midst of a crisis. I don't blame them.

But I do feel like that is how Republicans come back and win again because people seem to have Political memories of goldfish. I would be reminding my Texas family about how Trump treated California at these times and note how Biden didn't play games. He's acting like the president of all people not just his voters.
Well, I think you're right and I actually brought that up on Ted Cruz's Facebook post about him writing to Biden asking to hurry the response in response to a woman who claimed Trump would have already done it, and she and others like her do need to hear it. But, probably no-one on this board needs to hear it lol. Still, like anything else not directed at me it doesn't bother me because I know they're not talking to me specifically.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand

Yeah, it may still not be appropriate to joke/be sarcastic, but I am 100% confident no one here is advocating Texas shouldn't get help. People are playing off of shit Trump and/or his ilk said during Trump's Presidency, particularly about California and the wildfires.

Personally, I can't imagine driving in Texas right now. Folks from New York etc drive in the winter because there are salt machines, snow plows, shovels, and they have winter boots/coats. Texas has virtually none of that. Lotta folks are gonna die trying to leave their homes.