• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
This is the fry cook variation.

"Human grill cooks had a good run, but the age of the robot burger flipper may be on the horizon. White Castle announced plans to test a robotic chef named Flippy in the kitchen of at least one restaurant this September, Business Insider reports. The robot, made by Miso Robotics, has already been frying food and cooking burgers in venues including Dodger Stadium. White Castle will be the first fast-food chain to pilot a robot cook in the kitchen.

Flippy, which can learn and improve its performance through AI, will start out on the fry station before potentially expanding its purview to the grill. White Castle vice president Jamie Richardson tells Business Insider that the robot won't replace human jobs, but will allow flesh-and-blood workers to focus on other tasks like ensuring order accuracy or fulfilling delivery orders. This move toward automation had already been planned before the pandemic, but the COVID-era demand for lower-contact cooking, in addition to a boom in delivery, has accelerated the shift."

www.eater.com

White Castle Is Testing Out a Robot Line Cook Named Flippy

Plus, the 20th anniversary of Anthony Bourdain’s "Kitchen Confidential," and other news to start the day

Pretty neat, also rather timely in the post COVID19 world.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The robot won't spit in my food. Maybe this will lead to a future where everyone becomes an engineer because labor jobs are robots

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AWESOME, Now I would like for a push to have bipedal, free standing robots,like Atlas, to be designed to do tasks like these. Robot wont take vengeance on your next plate when you send something back for being unsatisfactory.

Oct 27, 2017
The more this happens, the closer we are to Universal Basic Income!!

Right?
....right?
More consolidation of wealth and power actually. But we all already knew that...

Rich people generally speaking are sociopathic (that's how they generally get where they are: they lack empathy and a fair sense of distributing equity). They are actively trying to fix the game. They don't have empathy as evidenced by 40 plus years of actively and systematically chipping away at the welfare state and padding their own profits with corporate welfare. The faster people realize they are whitewashed criminals, the faster we will liberate ourselves from this neoliberal cyberpunk police state nightmare we are fast approaching.

Last edited:

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
The robot won't spit in my food. Maybe this will lead to a future where everyone becomes an engineer because labor jobs are robots

It will lead to a future where everyone is dead because there aren't enough jobs for people to eat, and middle of the road politicians want to keep their handouts from Amazon.

Poor people die, and the rich eat them.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Automation is fucking scarier than ever, given that we've seen how little the people in charge actually care about us in times of crisis.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It will lead to a future where everyone is dead because there aren't enough jobs for people to eat, and middle of the road politicians want to keep their handouts from Amazon.

Poor people die, and the rich eat them.
Can't eat you if you build a robot in the scrapyard

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Maybe they could test good food next.

200.gif

Deleted member 18400

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has worked in many kitchens, I cannot fucking imagine trying to keep that robot clean enough to operate in there for long.

Aerosolized grease from grill tops and fryers gets fucking EVERYWHERE.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Soon robots will build robots, the rich will be gutted, and the poor will become their pampered pets.
Ironically CEO and hedge fund manager are the easiest jobs to replace with robots. It looks like we're headed for the Detroit Become Human future then we pivot hard into the Real Steel-Star Trek hybrid future

Dali

Oct 27, 2017
"Flippy, which can learn and improve its performance through AI, will start out on the fry station before potentially expanding its purview to the grill."

It's got that ambition, baby
Look at its drives
Didn't need to mop the floor
Skipped straight to the fries

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
As someone who has worked in many kitchens, I cannot fucking imagine trying to keep that robot clean enough to operate in there for long.

Aerosolized grease from grill tops and fryers gets fucking EVERYWHERE.

You'd still need someone to clean the robots, and do more specialized dishes. This would work in very basic fast food because you're only doing burgers, but it's needs to go wayyyy further to work at like an Applebees or Dennys.

Could it do 3 burgers, 3 sets of sautéed mushrooms and onions, 24 shrimp, 2 prime rib dippers, and a salmon at the same time? Not yet. Now I could see something in 10 years that has 5 arms with each doing different things on different levels, and 1 person stocking and cleaning.

bastardly

Nov 8, 2017
they had flippy at caliburger here, it was kinda cool i guess, a person still needs to put the patty and cheese on the grill and of course fix the patties that it flips wrong. the burger was good though

Oct 27, 2017
You'd still need someone to clean the robots, and do more specialized dishes. This would work in very basic fast food because you're only doing burgers, but it's needs to go wayyyy further to work at like an Applebees or Dennys.

Could it do 3 burgers, 3 sets of sautéed mushrooms and onions, 24 shrimp, 2 prime rib dippers, and a salmon at the same time? Not yet. Now I could see something in 10 years that has 5 arms with each doing different things on different levels, and 1 person stocking and cleaning.
Applebee's? I'm sure this thing would be an absolute whiz at throwing shit in the microwave.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Wishful thinking. More likely what will happen is millions of jobs will be lost and we will need to have some sort of universal income to account for all the unemployed. Robots and automation will remove a huger percentage of jobs from the workforce. I really doubt that's going to all of a sudden make unskilled workers interested in Engineering or other STEM fields. This situation is a huge concern of mine actually. I really wonder what will happen when all the unskilled jobs are replaced by robots.

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
Wishful thinking. More likely what will happen is millions of jobs will be lost and we will need to have some sort of universal income to account for all the unemployed. Robots and automation will remove a huger percentage of jobs from the workforce. I really doubt that's going to all of a sudden make unskilled workers interested in Engineering or other STEM fields. This situation is a huge concern of mine actually. I really wonder what will happen when all the unskilled jobs are replaced by robots.
The government will just use other robots to suppress the uprising caused by automation.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
We make the world realize that corporate are also unskilled jobs and replace THEM with robots too.

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So uh, where are the unemployed masses going to get the money to study for those positions?

Not to mention demand will exceed supply so wages in those fields will go way down.

tacocat

Alt account
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
We make the world realize that corporate are also unskilled jobs and replace THEM with robots too.
This is how we end up with robot rights and robot governments. Although i'd probably vote for an AI president over what we have now. At least there would be some sort of intelligent decision making.

Z-Beat

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
So uh, where are the unemployed masses going to get the money to study for those positions?

Not to mention demand will exceed supply so wages in those fields will go way down.
The 80s School of Youth Engineering
This is how we end up with robot rights and robot governments. Although i'd probably vote for an AI president over what we have now. At least there would be some sort of intelligent decision making.
That's the idea. It's all fun and games until you realize that you are also not safe from the robots

And once it's all said and done and the dust has settled, I'll write a book that's a spiritual sequel to When You Give A Mouse A Cookie called When You Spit in My Food

Sanctuary

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if it does better than the last Flippy did.

www.digitaltrends.com

Flippy Gets Fired: Burger Bot Shut Down After One Day on the Job | Digital Trends

Flippy the burger-flipping robot is taking a break just after starting his new gig. It turns out the rest of the employees can't keep up with the mechanical arm.

Problem doesn't appear to lie with the robot, but rather the non-augmented humans that can't keep up.
I wonder how these things will handle custom orders. Not everyone likes the defaults on the menu.

It would become entirely logic based. Eventually logic would dictate it's time for humans to go.