• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Still rockin' Winamp all these years. I'm not interested in changing my ways.

Kilbane65

Oct 27, 2017
I just used it a few hours ago, it still works great.
Also I love that Winamp's last version was 5.666

PHOENIXZERO

Oct 29, 2017
I still use WinAmp for playing music and remember the day AOL got hold of it and the shit they did but I persevered.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I would buy this if someone made it.

CErxyJi.png

Oh wow I would love one of these and I'm with you OP, I still use WinAmp as my media player and hell I have playlists on it since I first downloaded it in the early 2000s.

Vipershark

Oct 28, 2017
Are you using MATE?
Good taste in window managers.

I use Audacious on Linux as well, only because it's the closest in looks/functionality to a stock Foobar2k install.
Clementine/Strawberry is supposed to be really good but it's got way too much going on.
Audacious is straightforward and has exactly what I want at my fingertips right out of the box.
I like mpd with ncmpcpp as well but setting all of that up is too much effort.

On Windows, Foobar2k is infinitely better than Winamp no question.
You can get a Milkdrop plugin if you need visualizations.

hateradio

Oct 28, 2017
welcome, nowhere

medyej

Oct 26, 2017
I tried to go back to WinAmp recently but I couldn't figure out a way to get a folder browser view instead of library. Anyone know if that's possible?

Lafazar

Oct 25, 2017
Bern, Switzerland
Still using Winamp as my main player. It plays chiptunes and it just plays my colossal playlists or labyrinthine folders structures without trying to import all songs into its own database (fuck all media players that enforce this).

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
It's 2020 and I'm lamenting where software has generally ended up after Winamp.

It's almost inconceivable now that you go to a website and download a piece of software to run on your computer, and it isn't tied to an account, isn't part of the cloud, it isn't trying to harvest your data, and is just free and works really well.
Yeah, I pretty much don't bother with that kind of software anymore. Just google open-source or portable when you look for specific software. Been doing it for years.

iTunes is still, spectacularly, the worst when it comes to this shit. I fucking hate it.

linnus

Oct 25, 2017
I used to love Winamp. I spent hours managing my library and loved that I could ditch iTunes and use Winamp to sync my iPod Classic.

But now I don't even have mp3's on my pc anymore. Streaming is so much more convenient and easier to manage.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
I used to love Winamp. I spent hours managing my library and loved that I could ditch iTunes and use Winamp to sync my iPod Classic.

But now I don't even have mp3's on my pc anymore. Streaming is so much more convenient and easier to manage.
but what happens when you want to EQ? have lyrics available? Keep a play count? Use a different app to play your music?

Idunno. I tried to stick with Apple Music for like 6 months, but what it was doing to my folder organization was unacceptable and if I wanted to use 3rd party apps to play my music (better features, DNLA, whatever reasons I want to use something else) I pretty much couldn't or couldn't in a satisfactory way.

Handicapped Duck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
May 20, 2018
Ponds
Finally got around to installing foobar2000 and there are so much customization options it's a little daunting. I have it set up right now so my tabs with metadata and playlists are on the left-column, album art directly below that, general music info in the center, and spectrum on the bottom. Debating on the Hello Kitty, plain white, or vintage color. Still a work in progress. do enjoy how little processing it uses; only 25mb where iTunes would use nearly a gig or more the last time I used it. Might install iTunes just to mess around with it and compare between Winamp and foobar. Winamp also has a small footprint at just over 100mb. Going to take some time to re-rip all my CDs but I think that'll be a project I'll work on alongside learning the ins-and-outs of foobar2000. The customization options are great and once you learn it, I can only imagine the possibilities with it.

Nov 1, 2017
Winamp, man I use to listen to all my music using winamp for the longest time. Nowadays I use iTunes but I still got much love for that ol classic.

Arkanius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You are a man of taste with the Aqua skin man
My youth days in the early 2000s was skinning windows xp to make it look as close to the OS X Jaguar/Panther as possible

tommyv2

Nov 6, 2017
It's still a very good program! Interface can't really be beat for actually playing music.

Oct 27, 2017
Winamp is my favorite player but for some reason it just doesnt work on my laptop. I can play one song and then after that no matter what I do or click in my library, it does not load any other music into it. It just refuses to play anything. I dont understand why, other players work fine.

Dec 22, 2017
This thread is such a nostalgia trip holy cow

For real. I saw "OSX aqua skin" and was flooded with nostalgia for my jerry-rigged dorm room PC. I wanted a Mac so hard but was too broke.

Trying to beat my girlfriend's score at Snood, playing Street Fighter over Kaillera, MP3s of the Smallville soundtrack blasting on Winamp. It's all coming back.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I don't use it anymore because I don't have music stored ( with the exception of some Japanese music not on Spotify) but mad respect for that that player.

AIMP2 was also fantastic.

lake

Oct 27, 2017
Still my one and only music player, but I recently discovered the glory of Musicbee. Need to investigate more but if Musicbee can run all my Winamp gamerip plug-ins I'm likely to finally switch!

Lord Error

Oct 27, 2017
imagine a physical progress bar your could manually slide and go to that part of the song
That would be a thing of beauty, but I can see it being very hard to engineer, as it would need some kind of actuator that moves the progress handle left and right, that can also be overridden by manually moving the handle.

Bradford

terminus est
Aug 12, 2018
I loved Winamp back in the day. If I still listened to music on my PC, I'd still use it for sure. Either that or Foobar.

Krejlooc is obsessed with ironic retro. Also audacious only works with classic winamp skins.

Ironic? This thread seems pretty sincere to me.