• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

T0kenAussie

Jan 15, 2020
Oh look concerned Era users not understanding Microsofts strategy even though they have litterally spelled it out for us.
You could have stopped here tbh. They know the strategy they just don't like it because the yankee console maker is doing it. I'd say it's a lot of brand identity and parasocial relationships with a huge mix of nostalgia thrown in

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Ehh, I'd argue hardware will matter more at the end of the day

In a years time nobody will care that the launch lineup sucked if their games look and run well

Software always matters more than hardware. But having good software together with good hardware is even better.

it's evidently with PlayStation Vita having much better hardware than 3DS yet failed to gain traction

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
How does it not? It's exactly Sony's stated tactics and what they did.

Nah. both consoles started strong. And Xbox had arguably the better launch window lineup. It took a while for Sony's exclusive machine to get going. they didn't 'build momentum quickly' with exclusives. Infamous was a good start, but the first real killer, generation defining exclusive came with Bloodborne.

the biggest momentum builders for the PS4 in the early years were Batman: Arkham Knight, Destiny and Black Ops 3.

If anything else, this is pretty much in line with what I said earlier: Launch lineup is great, but it's what follows that matters.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
For me, the biggest issue with the Series X launch lineup is the lack of family friendly games for holiday buyers. I've said as much elsewhere.

Sony's smart enough to have Sackboy ready, spiderman is always a crowd pleaser and ratchet and clank ads will be everywhere. But i can't think of anything from Xbox in the launch window that's targeted at family gaming, kids etc.

Big misstep not to have at least the raytraced Minecraft game at launch.

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh a great hardware is more important in the long run. Software will come no matter what. And we have 4 generations of games to play on Series X and S. It will be fine.

Oct 28, 2017
Its bad. At the same time being able to play my existing games at a higher frame rate ain't too shabby. Pretty sure thats the first time a new generation launch has done that.

Its fascinating for a company who farted out Forza Motorsport games for years now all of a sudden cant ship a racing game for a couple of years. What the hell has Turn 10 been doing? For someone who owns as many companies as they do, they sure poorly timed the release of the Series X. Even if Halo was ready people still would have complained that all they had was Halo.

I only got a series x pre order, so i'm a little bummed.

The Medium?

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017
This new gen I will go to Xbox for the first time.
The only disadvantage I see is that on launch there will not exist a true next gen game to see the hardware on it's best. But I will wait because I was not prepared to pay 80€ for new games. I think the 60FPS and 4K will be enough for a while (although in last gen games).

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I looked at some of the games I didn't know about but overall that seems like an extremely solid launch lineup. I guess it's lacking that one system seller they could have had in Halo Infinite but it seems pretty obvious that Microsoft is going in a different way this generation. Between the hardware and GamePass they seem to have a wide range of options for all consumers. It's the first generation I am actually considering a Microsoft console.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
The launch, and launch window, of a product is a very important part of it's lifetime. The PS4 might have had a middling line-up, and I don't necessarily think that's true relative to the Xbox One in particular, but they also had about fifty other things in their favour thanks to Xbox's misteps. Neither side really has that this time, but PS5 has the inertia from last generation.

No one's saying that exclusives are the be-all, end-all or that the Xbox Series is going to fail because of any of this, but it's absolutely a poor line-up and the way people are trying to act like it's not a thorn in the console's side, I think, is pretty bizzare.

We have a very strong example in recent memory of a console that started strong and built momentum quickly through exclusives going up against a console that didn't start strong and relied on largely unproven tactics and it didn't go well for one of them. It's worth noting and discussing with that in mind.

Not that bizarre. If we're playing the history card, Dreamcast had a much better launch window than PS2. PS2 didn't pick up until the fall of the following year when 3rd party exclusives helped them run away with the gen. Regardless, we're in different times. These launch lineups are solid due to cross gen games. We're also in an age where an initially failed AA game could turn around and make Epic a mega power over-night. Mindshare is impacted by a lot of different factors and picks up momentum incredibly fast in this social media age. Exclusives are no longer just about list wars, fall lineups or launch lineups. It's also about exclusive features and services that impact how people experience those games. As someone who's had Xbox as my lead platform since OG launched in 2001, I haven't seen this much energy around the brand since 2006/2007.

Delaying games won't be any thorn if those games turn out great as a result. It's fine. Anyone here who decides to wait for "true next gen only exclusives" are allowing those of us excited to get better frame rates and load times sooner. In the big picture, hardly matters when the enthusiasts who buy consoles in launch windows are educated on road maps and value the upgrades. The rest of the population will have a better lineup when they jump in next year and beyond.

LaserBits

Jan 27, 2018
They were relying heavily on 343i to comes through, but I guess 5 years of development wasn't enough. They really need to fix that franchise after Infinite gets out the door.
Lot of rumors about Microsoft talking to Bungie. Think buying em is not going to happen but i really hope they could strike a deal so they can make a new Halo game. Not take over from 343 but a new game that will run in parallel. Like an open world Destiny Halo.

Grimmy11

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah. Xbox have been hitting everything else out the park but they are really missing a big showcase exclusive, It would be the cherry on top. That said I find this notion that it's a bad launch lineup for either console pretty ridiculous. I remember getting PS4 at launch and having Killzone, Battlefield 4 and AC: Black Flag to play, and no BC to fall back on.

With my Series X I'm interested in Watch Dogs 3, AC: Valhalla, a much better looking CoD than Ghosts, Yakuza 7, Dirt 5, Gears 5 (waiting to start it on X) and Gears Tactics. And a week later I'll be playing Cyberpunk 2077. On top of which a big backlog of enhanced 360 and One games that are going to play much better than I've had available to me before.

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
Not that bizarre. If we're playing the history card, Dreamcast had a much better launch window than PS2. PS2 didn't pick up until the fall of the following year when 3rd party exclusives helped them run away with the gen.

The PS2 is maybe the single most unusual console launch of all time, though. It's not really a standard case. It basically ran uncontensted in it's first year as the Dreamcast imploded and by the time anything else was releasing, the PS2 was already turning into a pretty much unstoppable freight train.

It's not really as comparable as the last two generations have been to the current one.

Lot of rumors about Microsoft talking to Bungie. Think buying em is not going to happen but i really hope they could strike a deal so they can make a new Halo game. Not take over from 343 but a new game that will run in parallel. Like an open world Destiny Halo.

Halo: Infinite is meant to be something pretty close to an open world, Destiny Halo.

Deleted member 63139

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 17, 2020
Couldn't agree more with the OP title.

They were betting on Halo Infinite. Something like Breath of the wild for Nintendo that boosted day one sales SO much.

343i completely botched the preview, botched the game (at least technically) after multiple years in development,...apparently they were too focused on a Halo TV serie and outsourced many aspect to external companies.

We should also note that the "slipsace" engine feels..in all honesty like utter crap, sorry, that's not how you use a 12Tflops behemoth.

Oct 27, 2017
There is no real excuse for how bad it is given how thin their portfolio has been for the last couple of years, it seemed like everything was geared around a big bang for Series X but it turned out to be 'nope just Halo' and then obviously 'oops no Halo'.

Looking at Rare (Everwild), Playground (Fable), and Turn 10 (Forza) especially, it's crazy to think that none of those games will be out before the end of '21 and probably only Forza then.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
I only got a series x pre order, so i'm a little bummed.
I have both and was going to cancel the PS5. This thread is making me doubt that decision lol. In the mid-long term its a clear winner for me (WRPGs!). Whereas in the short term PS5 has 2 more I'd like.
But then Sony is bumping up the price, no real gamepass competitor, and not being clear or the greatest with bc and cross gen upgrades.

rafiii

Feb 7, 2019
Forza Motorsport 7 is a mess of a game, even after all the update I find the game just less fun than FM6. They must have gone back to the drawing board.

343 industries spent the entire Xbox One generation trying to fix the technical disaster that is the Halo franchise (Halo MCC & Halo 5). The studio also seems to be a mess in terms of organisation / workflow.

Only the Coalition and Playground Games have put good releases that were good technically. No surprise Gears 5 and Forza Horizon 4 are getting Xbox Series update at launch.

Rare is doing great with Sea of thieves and that game will continue it's life on Series X|S

LaserBits

Jan 27, 2018
Not quite that far, but it's meant to be an ongoing, live service platform in some fashion.
Then i think my wish is still valid :). An open world MMO like , Destiny Like , RPG like , Halo universe game from bungie would be great.
Also It will complement nicely the Single player and the free multiplayer one from 343.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
There is no real excuse for how bad it is given how thin their portfolio has been for the last couple of years, it seemed like everything was geared around a big bang for Series X but it turned out to be 'nope just Halo' and then obviously 'oops no Halo'.
This is quite a good point, they have barely released anything substantial in the past few years and somehow still end up with a lethargic launch line-up.

OneBadMutha

Nov 2, 2017
The PS2 is maybe the single most unusual console launch of all time, though. It's not really a standard case. It basically ran uncontensted in it's first year as the Dreamcast imploded and by the time anything else was releasing, the PS2 was already turning into a pretty much unstoppable freight train.

It's not really as comparable as the last two generations have been to the current one.

The next generation is less comparable to any generation that came before it. By far. Not even close. Entire industry is going through a paradigm change. But I think we're going down a different rabbit hole so I'll save that for a different thread.

Bottom line is people who buy a Series X at launch have plenty of games to play. Enhanced BC games. Best versions of Game Pass games. High end multiplats running at better frame rates and lower load times. Launch is for the enthusiast and those things matter to many enthusiasts (including myself).

There's no way to do an apples to apples comparison of previous gens. Personally I'll have more to play than I did than in 2013 and 2014 on OG Xbox. In general I'm seeing more excitement around the Xbox than it's had since 2006/2007 due to it's 1st party roadmap and hardware features. If Halo gets delayed to 2022 I can see enthusiasts getting restless but that's unlikely.

MiDoZ

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 day): Platform warring
At least at xbox we will get old gen remasters for free...

Shirkelton

Aug 20, 2020
I agree that this is getting far too broad, but worth pointing out that the increase on excitement you're seeing since 2007 is in no small part due to what happened in 2013, so it's not necessarily just Xbox are hitting a lot of the right notes, but also that they're no longer thumping away at the wrong ones.

mentok15

Dec 20, 2017
Australia
I remember getting PS4 at launch and having Killzone, Battlefield 4 and AC: Black Flag to play, and no BC to fall back on.
Oh god I remember the PS4 launch now. I had kill zone, CoD Ghost, and Black Flag. Why I got two FPS on launch I don't know (Ghost was the better one too), and in 2014 I only got Infamous SS and Dragon Age I think. So only two exclusives in a year, with a single good one.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
As of yet unclear when that will release.
Lol jesus.

Patches?
I have both and was going to cancel the PS5. This thread is making me doubt that decision lol. In the mid-long term its a clear winner for me (WRPGs!). Whereas in the short term PS5 has 2 more I'd like.
But then Sony is bumping up the price, no real gamepass competitor, and not being clear or the greatest with bc and cross gen upgrades.
Totally. I was probably already going to be a Series X player primarily this generation. Unpopular opinion, but i much preferred the games of Xbox over Playstation this generation and the future Bethesda kind of further sealed that stance for me. Then you add all the things mentioned on top of that like Gamepass, wrpg's, power, enhanced BC and its a no brainer that this console will be my preferred console. I love the fact that i can play a game of my Series X that i digitally and physically purchased back in 2005. Their ecosystem the the best.

But damn if this isn't an anemic launch lineup. Like its borderline a bad look for Microsoft.

Amnixia

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Jan 25, 2018
It's fine, making games costs time and the pandemic probably caused delays.

Oct 29, 2017
I'm pretty glad at the lack of FOMO to be honest, cemented my choice to get the PlayStation 5 for now and then I can get a Series X once those games start dropping. I think for people that definitely only want a Series X though it makes sense to grab it at launch and play all the new non-exclusive games much better than they could on their Xbox One.

Morgan J

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, the launchgames are definitely not bad. Not the best but there have been worse. You guys need to chill, it's getting ridiculous.

NameUser

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 has a better first party lineup at launch. But with Game Pass and full BC, gamers will have access to a ton of games on day one. You can buy an Xbox and no games and be happy. Same isn't really true for the PS5. So in the end, it feels like a better value.

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Neither console having a racing game seems weirder to me, I know Dirt's in there, but I would have thought both manufacturers would have tried pretty hard to ensure a racing game of their own at launch.
It's odd although Grab Turisno seems to launch when they decide.
Still perplexed by Forza - doesn't even have a release window
Maybe the age of racing games to show off the hardware is over?

Oct 28, 2017
Patches for old games are the killer app i guess. If the two UBI games and Cyberpunk look significantly better and run at 60 i could justify it.
It's not, that was PsVita.
Intresting if true. I had a vita at launch but only played Luminess.
Yea the ecosystem is great. I can play Morrowind to Skyrim, og xbox and 360 splinter cells. It would be great if my library wasn't so fragmented and I had stuck with xbox more.
I primarily played 360 and X1 so my library is massive by now. Even though i always buy all the consoles, It would be irresponsible if i went only Playstation this gen given my collection and gamepass.

Anyone that missed the Series X preorder this year should just wait till next holiday if i'm being honest.

E.T.

Oct 25, 2017
PS5 has a better first party lineup at launch. But with Game Pass and full BC, gamers will have access to a ton of games on day one. You can buy an Xbox and no games and be happy. Same isn't really true for the PS5. So in the end, it feels like a better value.
The PS Plus Collection give newcomers insane value and quality. Like God of War is a title you can play day one on the PS5 if you have never owned a PS4. Insane.

MeltedDreams

Oct 27, 2017
Dunno why i thought The Medium was launch game. You can tell the launch was all about Halo Infinite, but things went bad.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
It depends on what people consider valuable though. For some, buying a new console for old games doesn't make sense. Others buy consoles for just one specific title. I think the argument that valuable is only what offers quantity is a bit weak. The way I see it, GamePass makes sense for people that game a lot and are already invested into the Xbox ecosystem but not so much for new people who usually prefer to be initiated to an ecosystem through a new experience first. This is why I don't see the appeal of getting an Xbox before maybe 2022 (if you aren't already invested in the ecosystem).

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
They are killing it with GP and the Zenimax acquisition.. they'll be fine. No one remembers the launch windows anyway after a few months or so.

Also if you're able to get a PS5 at launch you'll be spending a pretty penny with the $70-80 games. if you get 2-3 launch games with it, it's quite a pricey entry point.

Whereas the Series X has a really affordable entry point with All Access. That's why I got it.

Id love a PS5 with Demons Souls at launch but the budget now and scarcity won't allow it for at least a year or so.

Last edited:

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Within a year no one will care if the console didn't launch with a AAA first party exclusive. If that being there is the only thing to make a launch good then I guess they failed, but in the grand scheme of things it's a better launch lineup than for a lot of consoles.