• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
There wasn't a spike during the BLM protests which probably had higher numbers of people outside. Covid seems to have a harder time outdoors in populations with high mask usage, versus indoor venues where people are largely maskless.

So no, I'm not too worried right now.

TheAvatar

Nov 4, 2017
I feel like a lot of people here are making excuses for it, just because they are celebrating a good thing doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid. Stuff like this is why the United States is so high with cases, people make excuses for what ever celebration they feel is necessary. The only thing that felt necessary were the protests earlier this year, this isn't that. This is partying. And the Covid numbers are incredibly high right now, much higher than they were during protests, it's 100 percent not worth the risk.

cairngorm

Oct 25, 2017
There's bound to be but it's hard to blame americans for being that happy. At least the masks should help a little. You all will have a very bad next couple of months with regard to covid from the rallies to these celebrations

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I see it a lot lower with people outdoors and mostly wearing masks.
There wasn't a spike during the BLM protests which probably had higher numbers of people outside. Covid seems to have a harder time outdoors in populations with high mask usage, versus indoor venues where people are largely maskless.

Yep masks reduce transmission. Especially outdoors. If these were tightly packed indoor venues. I'd be more worried.

Sep 7, 2020
we lost this fight long ago. i'm afraid at this point there's not much we can do unfortunately

as a nurse that works in a covid ICU without any compensation: Fuck this country

Jawbreaker

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Yes, it's very concerning, especially in the middle of a huge surge. I have a disabled sister with breathing issues that I need to worry about and care for.

Unrivaled

Banned
Oct 13, 2020
Yes but what is worse was the Notre Dame football game celebration last night. Talk about a superspreader event.

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
Masks have a bigger impact than people realize (look up nntaleb's research) but yes these people are too close and now that the first day is over, it's time for the parties to stop. You can't blame people a lot for celebrating the defeat of that guy, but they need to be distant.

Cyanity

Oct 25, 2017
Zero concern whatsoever. It's time to repudiate the defeat of fascism. These gatherings will die down quickly anyway

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
There's bound to be but it's hard to blame americans for being that happy. At least the masks should help a little. You all will have a very bad next couple of months with regard to covid from the rallies to these celebrations
Again, this doesn't follow, because the BLM protests should've been superspreader events. They weren't.

What is going to fuck us over with winter coming is the fact that more people are going to be indoors in general. That's partly why the flu is so bad in the winter versus the summer.

Lishi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This will hurt, but I think it would have happened whatever the result.

It think it's better to get prepared to have increased number than hoping that was and nothing would happen.

Deleted member 12224

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like a lot of people here are making excuses for it, just because they are celebrating a good thing doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid. Stuff like this is why the United States is so high with cases, people make excuses for what ever celebration they feel is necessary. The only thing that felt necessary were the protests earlier this year, this isn't that. This is partying. And the Covid numbers are incredibly high right now, much higher than they were during protests, it's 100 percent not worth the risk.
All of this.

I wanted to celebrate too. Badly. But there happens to be raging global pandemic.

It's borders on offensive to handwave people not taking it seriously enough -- and masks note a level of seriousness but not enough -- away.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
Most everyone was wearing masks. That's kind of been the cornerstone of this whole campaign.

This is no excuse, and also a large majority of the mask wearers aren't wearing it properly.

This site has laughed regularly at the stupidity of Trump Supporters at all the stupid rallies they've had this year (rightfully so). You can't laugh at them while also not at least acknowledge that while understandably exciting this news is, lives are still stupidly at risk and it won't help Biden's cause when his watch as president sees CONTINUED rises of Covid.

It's in everyones best interest in my opinion to do everything possible to be better about preventing the spread of covid

I've already seen people posting on facebook and twitter, people I know as Democrats that they think Covid is defeated already because Biden is President Elect. They believe they can finally safely go to restaraunts again. They can finally go watch sports live. Now that Biden is President this is all fixed. That's the mentality that will make things even worse. This isn't an overnight fix and people need to realize this.

Last edited:

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
I'm absolutely worried about it. The blm protests in my opinion were necessary.

These celebrations are NOT necessary, and should probably be discouraged. Cases are rising at an astronomical rate and deaths are too. We can't get complacent.

Don't care if they're outside and if they're wearing masks. Even at the speech yesterday a lot of people were not wearing masks and were shouting and yelling. They probably did NOT need attendees at this event. I'm terrified of what the inauguration will bring

LifeLine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cases won't surge because numbers will also go down due to no more massive mask-less Trump rallies

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
Also, remember Amy's outside super spreader event? Same thing can happen at these celebrations

Trump's base is notorious for thinking the admin can do no wrong. We shouldn't continue that trend for our guy.

Mobius 1

Oct 27, 2017
North Point, Osean Federation
Indeed. Yesterday we thought to going to the inauguration until the reality of the pandemic hit us after a few seconds. I wonder if Biden will address the need to avoid mass gatherings. He absolutely deserves a gigantic crowd cheering him on but may have to let it go in the interest of public health.

MIMIC

Dec 18, 2017
I wouldn't be in one of those large gatherings without a face shield. You can catch COVID through the membranes in your eyes.

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
All of this.

I wanted to celebrate too. Badly. But there happens to be raging global pandemic.

It's borders on offensive to handwave people not taking it seriously enough -- and masks note a level of seriousness but not enough -- away.

How hard would it have been for people to have a celebration like this? Like, seriously?

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
As a society we've sort of moved past the "this is important" stage. No one is taking it seriously, and as someone with older parents who are still working public-facing jobs, these kind of things always spike my anxiety.

This isn't going to single-handedly cause a huge national spike, but we're already losing the battle, and every party and celebration and crowd is another blow. It's not about putting yourself at risk, it's about your neighbors, your co-workers, the people at the grocery store, the people on the train... American cities have been through hell this year, and I understand why it feels like it's all over now, but it's not.

Zugma

Oct 27, 2017
It's absolutely concerning. It's not just what we see on TV, the large gatherings in the middle of cities, but it's also what is going unseen. All around my city there are house parties popping up around me, and they are filled with maskless college aged kids. I understand the need for celebration during a difficult year, but this is not the way to do it. America seems completely incapable of responsibly handling this pandemic, and I really worry if Biden will be able to convince this country to take the measures needed to combat the spread. It's easy to blame the ignorant Trumpers for their lack of mask wearing, but it's also not just them. College campuses across the US are a hotbed of bad behavior, despite many of those younger people not liking Trump at all.

Future Gazer

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's incredibly irresponsible. I couldn't help but cringe looking at the crowds in DC.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Definitely a concern and I do wish Biden had said something about it, I think Fauci remarked he wasn't happy to see it.

Have to love the concern trolling tho from people like Trump's press secretary (cant remeber her name) when that orange gowl repeatedly bragged on TV about how massive his crowds were in the middle of a pandemic.

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
It's something I wish Biden put in his victory speech. Celebrate, but celebrate responsibly given this virus.

But America has a lot of...slow people, that much the world knows.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Also, remember Amy's outside super spreader event? Same thing can happen at these celebrations

Trump's base is notorious for thinking the admin can do no wrong. We shouldn't continue that trend for our guy.

That event featured no masks, lots of close talking, and they took it inside afterwards.

EjXzY7mXcAIRHE9

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Or potentially give people a false sense of security, which leads to irresponsible behaviour? Like being out and about, instead of locked down safely, and travelling only for essential needs/work.

as we saw with the BLM protests, these gatherings are not responsible for the spread of Covid, most of the rallies I've seen most if not all were wearing masks

OP
OP
.Detective.

.Detective.

Oct 27, 2017
Sir, I don't know if you know this, but Joe Biden isn't our prime minister

I know he is not, but will be a better equivalent than a toddler with controls over a Nuclear button and the greatest spread of a virus in recent times.

Now we can go back to just bettering ourselves, instead of worrying about collateral damage from a temper tantrum.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I spent the week talking with friends who have parents in the hospital or dealing with COVID in one way or another and have found this very frustrating.

Masks aren't the only preventative measure, and it's nothing without distancing. Distancing is the best way to avoid spreading COVID and a shocking amount of otherwise knowledgeable people seem to be ignoring this at a higher and higher rate.

Curufinwe

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DE

And those protests went on for weeks.

GatsGatsby

Oct 27, 2017
West Columbia, SC
How hard would it have been for people to have a celebration like this? Like, seriously?

In a perfect world I would of preferred this. At the same time all this toxicity and fear thats been building during this disaster of a presidency to have that be almost over is overwhelming. The people in the streets werent just celebrating a Biden win they are celebrating the idea of hope for the better. Even during a pandemic I'm not gonna judge people for how they chose to expell their mental trauma that was inflicted by this administration. I saw a lot of masks but I understand thats not 100% effective. Hopefully if there is an outbreak stemming from this it will be minimal.

Koukalaka

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I think it's been repeatedly shown that outdoor gatherings with a large amount of mask-wearing don't spread the virus much.

This was repeatedly brought up in the UK during the summer protests, all the while our government decided to pack out restaurants, bars and cafes by massively subsidising meals for a month, which evidence now shows clearly did contribute towards the second wave of the virus.

ghostemoji

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's been repeatedly shown that outdoor gatherings with a large amount of mask-wearing don't spread the virus much.

I think this kind of thing gives people a false sense of security. It's also flu season now. A flu season that will likely be bad because of the compounding effects of COVID.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
they are wearing masks and the BLM matches in the spring did not result in any huge spikes.

i still think it's dumb though. we celebrated in our backyards. but i mean...it's a huge fucking victory.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
2 things: one is this is outside, where it is statistically harder to catch. And two almost everyone is wearing masks which significantly lowers the spread, unfortunately social distancing is is rare so we can't claim practically 0% but it's unlikely to have anything close to a trump campaign

Daysean

Nov 15, 2017
People are still careful and taking precautious and not just denying that the virus is a thing unlike another group of people

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
It's incredibly irresponsible. I understand the desire to celebrate but there are (MUCH!) smarter ways to do it.

Forearm_Star

Oct 25, 2017
Couldn't believe all the folks who just stopped caring and decided to have block parties.

Like wtf?!

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Of course it's ridiculous and you better believe if things were flipped the vitriol and invective that would have been spewed out had things been the other way around would have been a sight to behold.

Deleted member 2109

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
BLM proetests weren't superspreader events so I doubt these will be either.

It's indoor gatherings we really have to worry about.

Oct 29, 2017
USA
People were waiting 4 years for this moment. There was no chance in hell they weren't going to celebrate. I would have been right there with them if I lived in a major city and wasn't at work on Saturday.

Bossking

Nov 20, 2017
Of course it's ridiculous and you better believe if things were flipped the vitriol and invective that would have been spewed out had things been the other way around would have been a sight to behold.

Would the Trump people suddenly have an epiphany and start taking this thing seriously enough to wear masks in this hypothetical alternative universe of yours?