• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Next Zelda remake?

• The Legend of Zelda

Votes: 25 4.4%
  • Zelda II: Adventure of Link

Votes: 115 20.2%
  • A Link to the Past

Votes: 90 15.8%
  • Oracle of Seasons/Ages

Votes: 178 31.3%
  • Minish Cap

Votes: 65 11.4%
  • Phantom Hourglass

Votes: 12 2.1%
  • Other (specify)

Votes: 83 14.6%

• Total voters

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Skyward Sword. It needs to be fixed. There's a very competent game at its core but with some increased boss variety and control overhaul, it could be great.

ika

Oct 27, 2017
MAD, Spain
I'd love to see Zelda 1, 2 and 3 with Link's Awakening remake style, or maybe 1 and 2 like LA and Link to the Past as an evolution of that style, similar in art and assets but with the same engine.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Handheld side: Oracle of Ages and Orcale of Seasons.
Console side: Skyward Sword.

I can wait for TP HD / WW HD to be ported. Skyward Sword needs to see a HD release already.

dedge

Sep 15, 2019
The next port I would like to see would be the Wii U HD twins, but for a full remake I say Oracle games because they could just build off of what Link's Awakening started. Maybe Grezzo can add some additional content too. If they ever do a larger Ocarina/Majora remake, I would prefer to see a bit more of a tech jump first.

Falchion

Oct 25, 2017
Boise
A new Minish Cap would be great but I just want Wind Waker and Twilight Princess to come out on Switch.

ΑGITΩ

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Skyward Sword deserves a second chance. Among 3D Zeldas, its in my top 3, i do feel the narrative is what carries is, but too many people dropped it because of the controls. Though i personally had no control issues besides the "stab" motion, i feel with Joycon controls having more accurate(?) Sensors than the Wiimote with Motion Plus, it could fix the controlling issues for some folks.
The visuals would receive the boost and thematic accuracy from being on the switch. The impressionist look they went for wouldve worked...had the game been played on a CRT TV, maybe, but I, like most people at the time, already had an HDTV, so the visuals did suffer.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
I would love re-releases of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess that they already dropped on the Wii U.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
tenor.gif

Skyward Sword. It needs to be fixed. There's a very competent game at its core but with some increased boss variety and control overhaul, it could be great.
Skyward Sword would indeed be a much better game without the motion controls, without dowsing, and without the spirit realm segments

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
The Oracle games would be the most logical decision, imo. They share a lot of assets and gameplay with LA, it would only make sense to redo them. I imagine they would wanna bank in on that Pokemon-like release too, releasing both simultaneously for $60.

Pancracio17

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Id take Link to the Past, the Oracle games, or Minish Cap. They still look rather good though, so its not too necessary as long as we get a way to play them on the Switch eventually.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
The original game has the most potential in terms of outcomes imo. A straight remake would be great, but all sorts of changes could be made to the game both visually and in design. The fact that it is already a pretty open game lends itself well to the current direction of the series.

Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask are the dream. The 3DS remakes were fine but it be nice to play them without crampy 3DS controls.
While I would love good remakes/remasterings of those, I think at this point I'd prefer them to happen on a more powerful system. OoT remake on Switch 2 would be grand.

Sagitario

Oct 26, 2017
In order of what I want:
1) Oracle of Ages/Seasons (remake)
2) Skyward Sword (remake or remaster)
3) Twilight Princess (Wii U port)
4) The Wind Waker (Wii U port)
5) Spirit Tracks (remake)
6) A Link Between Worlds (remaster)
7) Ocarina of Time/Majora's Mask (3DS versions remasters)

Everything else is extra, I'd love if the whole franchise became playable/available on Switch (just like it did once on Wii U).

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
None, make new games in vein of the old ones. There are now three styles, 2D, 3D and WRPG, so do not waste resources on regurgitating old games.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
The Oracle games. Just not in the same visual style as Link's Awakening's remake, please.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I want a Ocarina of Time or/and a Twilight Princess remake. Those games would look gorgeous in todays graphics...

Solid SOAP

One Winged Slayer
Nov 27, 2017
I am really hoping for the Wind Waker and Twilight Princess remasters to be ported to Switch at some point too; I feel like they would be great gap fillers for the system when there isn't a Zelda game for a year. Both games have aged great, especially Wind Waker, and especially with their updated visuals.

I would hope though they TP would get a bit more care put into the port. They completely changed the lighting and whole visual identity of Wind Waker to the point where key art reflected the new look, while TP stayed mostly the same. I'd love to see some changes to lighting and such to really bring it to the modern visual standard. I've been watching my girlfriend play it on Wii U recently though and the visuals have definitely aged quite well, more than I expect at least.

RPG_Fanatic

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to pick Zelda II, but seeing the Oracles games on the list makes me want a remake of those games more.

bmfrosty

Oct 27, 2017
SF Bay Area
I think there's a great opening for LTTP and a LBTW to be both remade in a new engine, or even in the engine used for Link's Awakening.

I think that all of the Zelda games should come to the switch.

CurseVox

Oct 27, 2017
Massachusetts (USA)
Never played the Oracles games. So I would be down for that. However, A Link to the Past is one of my favorite games of all time, so I'd obviously love a remake to that.

Oct 27, 2017
Zelda 1 and 2 need complete re imaginings at this point. The bare bones cryptic nature of the first game is cool but it's a little too cryptic imo. Zelda 2 is a strange game that stands out like Simon's Quest. Zelda 2 might work best if they ditch the random encounters and side scrolling and give it a breath of the wild makeover. It can work but definitely needs a lot of changes. The Oracles games on the other hand seem ripe for being next in line.

Vitor

Oct 30, 2017
Minish Cap is already so beautiful, I fear a remake would ruin the style... maybe a remaster could work.
The Oracle games however, could definitely be improved.

Doggg

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 17, 2017
Where's the Wand of Gamelon

But really, Zelda II would be interesting.

Aranjah

Oct 27, 2017
My first thought was the Oracle games, because I loved those games and would love to see them modernized. I missed the Super Nintendo gen, so I missed LttP until the GBA port, so the kinds of nostalgia most people reserve for LttP, I have for Oracle of Ages.

All the people in here saying Zelda II make a convincing argument, though. That one probably is the one most in need of an overhaul, and I would be interested to see how exactly they would go about modernizing it.

Minastepes

May 3, 2018
Kisiljevo
Skyward Sword.

This game really truly is underated.

The dungeons are awesome, the boss fight too, except for the ghost phases and the imprisoned fight.

And of course the best final fight of the entire franchise.

(SS > TP)

Fadewise

Nov 5, 2017
Another vote for Skyward Sword. Every other game on that list is relatively easy to play via emulation (either officially or unofficially), and I'd happily go back to them and replay their original release. Skyward Sword, on the other, bears the curse of Wii and is so beholden to its motion controls that even though I -CAN- emulate it on a PC with a Wii-mote, I have zero interest in doing so, a condition entirely attributed to my active dislike of motion controls. I think the core of game is solid though, and it has some of the better dungeons in the series, so a full rework to add more traditional controls and maybe ease up on some of the handholding would be ideal.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
The Oracle games with all the QoL features that were in the Link's Awakening remake would easily be an instant-buy for me. There is also a lot more they can do with the link feature if they decide to expand on that.

Not to mention that the games themselves are top-tier 2D Zelda. Easily the best collection of dungeons between the two games, along with fun overworlds to explore, unique items and equipment, likable characters, and great pacing. They absolutely should be made available to new audiences today.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
While the Oracle games are a pretty straightforward request and they'd be something I'd enjoy, I'd prefer to see Adventure of Link remade.

Outside of the CDi spin-offs, it strikes me as the least accessible Zelda in terms of its gameplay and mechanics and it has long had a reputation as the black sheep of the series. I think, if modernised (without losing the difficulty for older fans), it'd be a really interesting and unusual title in the series. I'd love to see it in a hand-drawn visual style, similar to the advertising art created for the original games, with an orchestrated soundtrack and narrative updates to bring it in line with expectations for today's videogames. I think it could be something really intriguing and worthwhile. Shadows of Valentia and Samus Returns were both excellent late-life 3DS games which remade the black sheep of their respective franchises. I'd love to see Nintendo take the same time and care with the second Zelda.

That being said, I think Oracle remakes are more likely.

Thronazuug

Mar 30, 2019
Everything.gif (to the Switch, ports and remakes and remasters and new games)

But seriously remake of Minish Cap is scary, unless it's pixel art remake. I would gladly take port, and an expansion cause why not.

As someone previously said BotW prototype remake of first is welcome.

Oracles remakes new artstyle and third game should be next.
I agree with freeing PH and ST.
And I loved Skyward Sword so a remake with intended artstyle + diverse selection of clouds. The HUB can really take some make over. Needs more than rocks with holes and piss coloured clouds.
OoT and MM is also welcome. Loved the remakes for the 3DS but wouldnt mind another remake, just to see the art direction.

Oct 27, 2017
I wrote this before on the old place, when we were guessing about the project that woulda become BOTW.

I would love to see a realistic (BOTW style) 3D version of the original Legend of Zelda but set in the world of Zelda 2. What's that mean? Picture the layout of Zelda 1 where you can fully explore the Outworld, (no more being chased by shadows and blobs!), but you have the towns from Western (?) Hyrule of AoL, so you don't have that sense of total isolation.

As hinted through the bios of Smash Bros Melee, you play as a tween Link as you search for the labyrinths containing the pieces of the Triforce of Wisdom in order to storm Death Mountain and rescue Princess Zelda from Ganon.

When Ganon is slayed with the silver arrow (fuck that light arrow BS), Zelda and the Triforce of Power are found, and you think the game is about to conclude, the screen fades to black and into a simple message:

"Several years later..."

A now teenaged Link returns to Hyrule to see things have changed for the worse. The townspeople, now older and varied (couples have married, children are born, people have passed) are being attacked by new, stronger monsters than those of Ganons troops. And strange enough, everyone seems to avoid the topic of Princess Zelda.

Finally, Link is able to find out the truth at Zeldas North Place via her handmaiden Impa. As he traveled for new adventures, his childhood friend had been cursed by the ruling Prince and his personal magician (secretly a sleeper agent for the fallen Ganon) with an eternal sleeping spell over the threat of hiding a third Triforce of Courage. (That's right, screw that "two different Zeldas" garbage")

The game presents a second quest as the Adventure of Link is presented in 3D for the first time ever. The taller, stronger Link is able to re-explore all the previous locations with a new set of eyes and more advanced skills, discovering new passages and finding 6 palaces that were previously unreachable. With an adult body, Link can learn to improve his sword fighting skills jump higher, as well as able to learn simple magic spells. In the meanwhile, Link must avoid the stronger bands of monsters storming the countryside in hopes of sacrificing the boy to bring Ganon back to life.

Halfway though, Link finds a boat/better raft, that allows him passage to the Eastern Part of Hyrule, a new, unexplored continent, in search of the last 3 palaces that'll lead to the resting place of the final Triforce that'll allow him to revive Zelda.

And the perfect name for such a combo? I'd name it after the original release:

Call it, "The Hyrule Fantasy: The Legend of Zelda

I want a fully realized version of the Zelda 1 prototype that Nintendo made before BotW to show using logic and physics and stuff

Wait, what? Can you give more info, please?

Free Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks from their DS prison!

I second this'll, but only if you can use an analog stick or D-Pad. otherwise, they can fucking stay there!

Last edited: