• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Ganon is your favorite?

• The Legend of Zelda - Ganon, Prince of Darkness

Votes: 19 1.8%
  • A Link to the Past - Ganon, Prince of Thieves

Votes: 39 3.6%
  • Ocarina of Time - Ganondorf, King of the Gerudo

Votes: 304 28.4%
  • The Wind Waker - Ganondorf, the Defeated

Votes: 591 55.2%
  • Twilight Princess - Ganondorf, the Imprisoned

Votes: 79 7.4%
  • A Link Between Worlds - Yuga Ganon, the Resurrected

Votes: 2 0.2%
  • Breath of the Wild - Calamity Ganon, the Abomination

Votes: 36 3.4%

• Total voters

RyougaSaotome

Oct 25, 2017
This is not a popular opinion, but I actually really like calamity Ganon as a concept and even in function.

It's not a version of Ganon I'd care about if others didn't already exist, but I love the idea that at the end of the endless cycles, he's just a fucking mess.

Reminds me a lot of how Sigma ended up by the end of the X series.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
It's Ocarina's.

Not only did it cement Ganondorf as Ganon's Human Form.

ARB.gif

But also had an amazing take on the traditional Ganon as well.

latest

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
aLttP. I liked Ganon more pre-OoT. I liked how he was this inhuman, scary looking beast. Ganondorf the character humanized him which makes him feel like less of a threat.

balgajo

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oot created Ganondorf so that's my vote. Seeing his empowerment along the game was really good.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
Zelda 1. The feeling of traveling through a huge labyrinth searching for Ganon, then you walk into an unknown dark room and BOOM, there he is, is one of the best moments of Zelda 1.

4oCCxOz.png

But really, any game with pig blue Ganon. He's the best. It was extremely cool in Link to the Past how you beat Agahnim and then Ganon suddenly appears out of his body and flies away, and you chase him down, definitely the best moment of that game for me.

The best all-around boss fight, though, was Ocarina of Time's. It had the coolest intro, best atmosphere, and it was a fun and difficult fight.

(This is a comparison video I made of the N64 and 3DS games, but it's the only video I had readily available to show.)

Wow the N64 version is way better. The way his eyes glow in the darkness and you can't really make out any details makes him so much more ominous.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
As a character, Wind Waker's, but in terms of music, the fight itself, the presentation, the design, the setting, the stakes, and pound-for-pound overall it's Ocarina's.

That simple "GANON" boss text, with no appended subtitle for the first time ever, was extremely impactful. It's never been done better.

Lark

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Wind Waker is the only time Ganon(dorf) even has a semblance of complexity as a character, and it's actually really well done to boot, so it gets my vote.

That said, I love the aesthetic of Calamity Ganon in his boar-wraith and scourge forms, and I have high hopes that BotW2 will find something interesting to do with his character again.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Because it was disappointing to see the game build up its villain to be like.... surprise! its Ganondorf again! that far into it. I didn't think the build up to his fight was done well at all either.
Pshhh. This was the Zelda game made for fans. The fans that wanted a true sequel to OOT in that gen. If it didn't have Ganondorf it would've been a disappointment.

Not sure what you meant by build up? The lead up to him was fighting Zant in front of the castle, and then going thru the Hyrule Castle too which was a far better dungeon than it was in Wind Waker or Ocarina (I don't even know if those can be considered true dungeons).

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Pshhh. This was the Zelda game made for fans. The fans that wanted a true sequel to OOT in that gen. If it didn't have Ganondorf it would've been a disappointment.

Not sure what you meant by build up? The lead up to him was fighting Zant in front of the castle, and then going thru the Hyrule Castle too which was a far better dungeon than it was in Wind Waker or Ocarina (I don't even know if those can be considered true dungeons).

OoT might be my favourite game and I still hated that they used Ganondorf again. The build up was kind of disconnected instead of being in a single tower that you first climb with the organ music that gets louder, then after the first fight the tower collapsing and you fight in the rubble at the base. In TP both Zelda and Ganondorf felt like they were written in later imo.

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who's never really been a fan of the series, or even played all of the games, I thought about this. I think I landed on Wind Waker and BotW. WW because it shows a more humane side of Ganondorf and gives a better understanding of his actions and motivations, and BotW because it shows Ganondorf having descended so far into the darkness he's become this mythical Satan-like creature, the living embodiment of malice and destruction.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I agree with the poll. The top three are in perfect order. Wind Waker was excellent and felt like a character with an agenda.

Dealer A

Jan 13, 2018
In Zelda II, your blood in dying revives hideous laughing Ganon. He is the best one, "hahahaha".

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
you said ganon but then the poll is ganondorf, and yes the distinction matters, cowards!!

anyway best dorf is ww and anyone who says otherwise is lying tbh

best ganon is the classic pig man in lttp

Nessus

Oct 28, 2017
Wind waker easily had the best Ganondorf, but it had maybe the worst Ganon (the awful puppet thing).

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Gotta give some credit to the Oracle games and Four Swords Adventures, their sprites are much more imposing than A Link to the Past. Really does beast Ganon justice.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
TP Ganon was so hardcore he died standing up. He didn't turn to stone like a chump, he just left a standing corpse, daring you to do something about it.

DiK4

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
OoT might be my favourite game and I still hated that they used Ganondorf again. The build up was kind of disconnected instead of being in a single tower that you first climb with the organ music that gets louder, then after the first fight the tower collapsing and you fight in the rubble at the base. In TP both Zelda and Ganondorf felt like they were written in later imo.
OOT had a great ending. No doubt, the organ music was dope especially as it got louder and louder the closer you got. But it was 2 battles.

Twilight gave you 4. It hit you with a shocker right in the beginning. Ganon says guess what bitch, I'm gonna possess this chick and make you fight her. Haha.

Evil. Then he goes beast mode. And in one of the coolest fights in Zelda history, you have the option of going beast mode too and going head to head. Wolf Link & Midna vs. Beast Boar Ganon. And they literally go head to head, with Midna tipping the scales.

But Ganon man, he ain't done yet. Midna knows what's up and makes the epic sacrifice. Too bad though, Ganon crushes her like pixie dust and shows up on his Demon Horse ready take you, Epona, and your thirsty princess down.

Wind Waker had Zelda in the background shooting light arrows, and then her getting backhanded. Twas dope but, Zelda in Twilight, she's like naw this fucker went inside me. Get up next to that fuck so I can shoot him in the skull.

Ganon, still won't go down. He says fuck this two on 1 shit. Lets go, 1 on 1 with the Great One. And finally, since fucking SpaceWorld 2000 we get that epic sword duel. Complete with the clash, the bring it on, and above all else.

Sparta Kick.

Twilight Princess hit all the right spots. Hit em so hard fools ended up so starstruck and confused from its spiciness they starting asking for milk and cookies. It's greatness had numbed their Medulla oblongata so hard, they forgot what joy was and began complaining because only the evil in their hearts was left.

trugs26

Jan 6, 2018
I like how regal WW Ganon looks. It's quite distinct from the others and suits the character well.

Also, I feel we should have separate polls for Ganon and Ganondorf.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
design wise ocarina of the time is the best
and holy shit twilight princess is super ugly

Ximonz

Oct 30, 2017
Taiwan
it is a hard battle between OoT and WW Ganons
but I eventually chose OoT Ganon since he has the absolute power and single handedly cause the fall of Hyrule.

Deleted member 8784

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ocarina of Time is my favourite, I feel like the transformation into Ganon and the boss fight following it haven't come close to being beaten.

Twilight Princess could have maybe had a chance, but it's so outrageously easy (like most post-OOT games to be fair) that I feel it takes away from any sense of drama.

Echo

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Mt. Whatever
Voted TP Ganon, but the OOT one does give me some chills just remembering his transformation and the music. Comfy childhood memory.

This thread reminded me how much I want WWHD and TP on Switch though. Heck, OOT and MM too.

PianoBlack

May 24, 2018
United States
This would certainly be the most awesome Ganondorf design if it was from Zelda. O: Kimihiko Fujisaka is an amazing artist!

Surprised how low Twilight Ganondorf/Ganon are considered here. Amazing designs and epic boss fights.

dap1ur0-a912b178-71e1-48f9-9226-f24f21e3415c.png

ganondorf_by_theminttu_d5fwoo8-pre.jpg

I voted Wind Waker, but I realize it may be that I'm just conflating "Ganon" with "how much I love the ending of Wind Waker." TP is definitely a great design and a better series of in-game battles.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Fuckin Twilight Princess gets a grand disservice on this board.

He's never been done better. No Zelda game has ever had as a great of an end as the series of battles you go thru against him. Straight up dream come true. Ganon pulled out all the stops in the game. He was the Demon King.

This.

and holy shit twilight princess is super ugly

It's actually beautiful. :)

Samanyolu

Apr 27, 2019
When I see the words "Zelda" and "best" in the same sentence (and in a positive way), the answer is always Ocarina of Time, because nostalgia told me so.

Mama Robotnik

Gaming Scholar
Oct 27, 2017
"Do not worry -- I will not kill you..."

I was completely startled when WW Ganondorf said that. An absolutely intriguing manifestation, by far the most memorable. Actual empathy, even while being self serving.

Oct 27, 2017
I think the best Ganon from the perspective of the design of the final boss battle(s) was Twilight Princess, but the best Ganon in terms of characterisation was The Wind Waker.

I voted for the former. I thought the final battle at the end of TP was extremely epic.

Opa-Opa

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 16, 2018
Ocarina. Which is strange, since design wise there are better ganons.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i hate the game with my dying last breath but i love how SS set him - er, i mean, "demise" - up

latest

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Hard disagree with all those votes for Twilight Princess. Zant was the villain of that game, and an imposing one at that, who was utterly ruined just to shoehorn bloody Ganon in again because god forbid a Zelda game has someone else as the main antagonist.

Wind Waker has the best depiction of Ganon since he feels like an actual antagonist with real motives.

Timelord19

One Winged Slayer
Aug 21, 2018
Mallorca, Spain
I'm curious how BOTW2 will handle good old Ganondorf, Calamity Ganon was feral and we see the husk of a body in the trailer, what remains of Ganondorf without the Ganon we kill at the end of BOTW? Because he can't reincarnate that quickly right?

Firebrand

Oct 25, 2017
Blue pig with a trident will always be the coolest.

But yeah, Wind Waker is probably the most interesting one as a character.