• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which year was the best for gaming in the last 5 years.

• 2015 (Witcher 3, MGSV, MKX, Fallout 4, Batman AK, Halo 5, Bloodborne, Rise of Tomb, Her Story, etc)

• 2016 (Overwatch, TitanFall2, Doom, Witness, Uncharted 4, Forza H3, Inside, Firewatch, Gears 4, etc)

• 2017 (Zelda BOTW, RE7, Horizon ZD, Nier, Nioh, Destiny 2, Injustice 2, Hellblade, Fortnite, etc)

• 2018 (RDR2, God of War, AC Odyssey, Celeste, Forza H4, Shadow of Colossus, Shadow of Tomb, etc)

• 2019 (Control, Death Stranding, RE2 Remake, Apex Legends, DMC5, OuterWorlds, CODMW, SW Fallen, etc)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Oct 24, 2019
Not seeing 2015 with higher votes is mind boggling. This gen was pretty bland up till that point and then boom, witcher 3, bloodborne, and mgs:v in the same year. Its no competition. Do people really love BOTW that much for 2017 to be so high.

dude 2017 had Resident Evil 7, Yakuza 0, Hollow Knight, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Persona 5, Nier: Automata, Nioh, Prey, Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein: The New Colossus, Pyre, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, What Remains of Edith Finch, The Evil Within 2, Crash N. Sane trilogy, Assassin's Creed Origins, Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, South Park: The Fractured But Whole, Cuphead, Gravity Rush 2 and more.

There's sooooo fucking much to love about 2017. It's the definition of quantity AND quality. To attribute all the love for 2017 to *just* BOTW is a fucking insult

Plumpman

Jan 24, 2018
The Witness, Doom, Uncharted, and overwatch helllll yeah 2016. Witness is one of my all time favorites.

Aug 2, 2018
dude 2017 had Resident Evil 7, Yakuza 0, Hollow Knight, Horizon: Zero Dawn, Persona 5, Nier: Automata, Nioh, Prey, Super Mario Odyssey, Wolfenstein: The New Colossus, Pyre, Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, What Remains of Edith Finch, The Evil Within 2, Crash N. Sane trilogy, Assassin's Creed Origins, Dishonored: Death of the Outsider, South Park: The Fractured But Whole, Cuphead, Gravity Rush 2 and more.

There's sooooo fucking much to love about 2017. It's the definition of quantity AND quality. To attribute all the love for 2017 to *just* BOTW is a fucking insult
[/QUOTE]
I guess so, but based from your 2017 lists, none of those games came close to the 2015 ones. Mario Odyssey is 10/10 sure. Re 7 was good but lost all its appeal towards the ship and mine section when it just became a clunky shooter. HZD to me felt like a copy paste ubisoft game with sony production values. Nioh, Yakuza 0 and hollow knight are pretty good.

Idk man, I am more of a quality over quantity game and nothing in 2017 comes even close to Bloodborne, MGS:V, and W3. I guess you can make the arguement that 2017 had a higher number of good games, but I'd contest that 2015 had overall higher quality games.[/QUOTE]

Aug 2, 2018

I guess so, but based from your 2017 lists, none of those games came close to the 2015 ones for me. Mario Odyssey is 10/10 sure. Re 7 was good but lost all its appeal towards the ship and mine section when it just became a clunky shooter. HZD to me felt like a copy paste ubisoft game with sony production values. Nioh, Yakuza 0 and hollow knight are pretty good.

Idk man, I am more of a quality over quantity game and nothing in 2017 comes even close to Bloodborne, MGS:V, and W3. I guess you can make the arguement that 2017 had a higher number of good games, but I'd say 2015 had over higher quality of games.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess so, but based from your 2017 lists, none of those games came close to the 2015 ones for me. Mario Odyssey is 10/10 sure. Re 7 was good but lost all its appeal towards the ship and mine section when it just became a clunky shooter. HZD to me felt like a copy paste ubisoft game with sony production values. Nioh, Yakuza 0 and hollow knight are pretty good.

Idk man, I am more of a quality over quantity game and nothing in 2017 comes even close to Bloodborne, MGS:V, and W3. I guess you can make the arguement that 2017 had a higher number of good games, but I'd say 2015 had over higher quality of games.
2017 has quality AND quantity. A bunch of the 2017 games listed are on a similar level to the three 2015 games you mentioned. Hollow Knight, for example, is miles beyond "pretty good". It's a bona fide masterpiece.

Oct 24, 2019

Hollow Knight, Nier: Automata, Breath of the Wild, What Remains of Edith Finch, Mario Odyssey, and Cuphead are all 10/10s. Pretty much everything else I listed are all at least 8-9s. That's an insane level of quality across the board, and they also cater to all different types of gamers, whereas in 2018 for example, the three biggest games (Spider-Man, RDR 2, and God of War) all catered to the same type of gamer.

Every year has a couple of standout masterpieces surrounded by a lot of mediocre-good games, what's truly special is to have a ton of masterpieces surrounded by good-great games.

if it weren't for ME: Andromeda, Destiny 2, and Battlefront 2, 2017 would be a flawless year

XSX

Oct 31, 2017
Put some respect on PUBG. 2017 game that's sold more then anything else on that list.

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
2017 being so good is kind of a meme but it really was the best year for gaming this decade, probably (2012 is actually a challenger for it to me weirdly enough). Not only was it a huge year for releases but everything lined up and the big games all happened to be stuff that appeals to me. There's still releases from that year I want to play but haven't.

The year was also lowkey awesome for under-the-radar stuff too, somehow. DanganRonpa V3 is probably one of my favorite visual novel adventure games ever, Fire Emblem Echoes is one of the best games in the series, Etterna is an amazing update/fork to Stepmania, Puyo Puyo Tetris is still my favorite version of Tetris this gen even after Tetris Effect and Tetris 99, Dai Gyakuten Saiban 2 is an excellent conclusion to the DGS duology.....what an insane year. Of course there's also the big hitters of SMO/BotW/Persona 5/Nier Automata

Aug 2, 2018
Hollow Knight, Nier: Automata, Breath of the Wild, What Remains of Edith Finch, Mario Odyssey, and Cuphead are all 10/10s. Pretty much everything else I listed are all at least 8-9s. That's an insane level of quality across the board, and they also cater to all different types of gamers, whereas in 2018 for example, the three biggest games (Spider-Man, RDR 2, and God of War) all catered to the same type of gamer.

Every year has a couple of standout masterpieces surrounded by a lot of mediocre-good games, what's truly special is to have a ton of masterpieces surrounded by good-great games.

if it weren't for ME: Andromeda, Destiny 2, and Battlefront 2, 2017 would be a flawless year
Ayy bro that's more power to you. I haven't a lot of time to play games in the last few years so a game has to be truly special to be meaningful to me. Looking at my library, I have wasted so much money buying games that I end up dropping at the half or so mark. I think its a combination of little free time and being spoiled by Fromsoft games or gamer fatigue.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Really close between 17 and 18 for me.
2017 had my GoTG so far in Yakuza 0 and 3 other fantastic games I enjoyed a lot in BoTW, HZD and Nioh.
2018 had 2 of my top 5 of the gen, with GoW and RDR2 and 2 other games I loved in Yakuza 6 and Spidey.
2015 would be a comfortable 3rd. Bloodborne, Tales From The Borderlands (technically ep1 was 2014, but every other ep was 2015 ) and Witcher 3 would make up the remaining of my top 5 of the gen so far (with BB and Tales, Witcher 3 is extremely close, but just the base game and HoS would probably be 6th), I just didn't really care for anything else that year and MGS5 was a massive disappointment.

Tough one, my immediate reaction was 2018, but fuck 2017 was real strong. Think I'll go with my immediate reaction.

Last edited:

squidyj

Oct 25, 2017
very surprised 2017 is beating out 2015. When I'm thinking about the best year I'm not looking for a year whose average quality was high I'm looking for the year where I played games that delivered so strongly they stick with me even now. I've played a lot of these games but nothing tops playing both The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne in the same year.

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
very surprised 2017 is beating out 2015. When I'm thinking about the best year I'm not looking for a year whose average quality was high I'm looking for the year where I played games that delivered so strongly they stick with me even now. I've played a lot of these games but nothing tops playing both The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne in the same year.
2017 had at least five games that will stick with me for the rest of my life. That's why I picked it. 2015 had one. So, I agree with your reasoning on picking a favorite year.

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Looking at my games it's 2017 (and I haven't played Nintendo games). It just had a lot of quality and quantity. Hollow Knight, Horizon ZD, Nier Automata, Persona 5, Yakuza 0, Nioh, Uncharted Lost Legacy, SteamWorld Dig 2, South Park TFBW, Specter of Torment, etc...

2015 had amazing games (Bloodborne gotg) but not that much quantity. 2016 was really strong too, a lot of good ones. Still missing some games from 2018/19.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going with 2018 even though BOTW is amazing.

RDR2, FH4, GOW, ACO - All of them are best of the decade in their own specific way.

Deleted member 59109

Banned
Aug 8, 2019

Personally, stating all these games are 10/10s are a bit much. The highest one for me is BotW and that's an 8.5. But that's just me.

Feb 10, 2018
Push the videogame medium forward? How so?

It improves realism of Npc's and environments.

It does this by

• Improving visuals + audio
  • Animation
  • The way npc's react to you and the world
  • How npc interaction is an integral to the gameplay.
Theres no other game this gen which feels like a "living breathing world" this gen. Other games this gen just feel like better versions of what's been done before rather then feeling like somthing new.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
2017 was incredible!

• Gravity Rush 2
  • Yakuza Zero
  • Resident Evil VII (especially on the PlayStation VR)
  • Tales of Berseria
  • Nioh
  • Night in the Woods
  • Hollow Knight
  • Horizon Zero Dawn
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • NieR: Automata
  • Persona 5
  • Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap
  • What Remains of Edith Finch
  • Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
  • Tekken 7
  • WipEout Omega Collection
  • Arms
  • Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy
  • Final Fantasy XII: The Zodiac Age
  • Splatoon 2
  • Pyre
  • Sonic Mania
  • Undertale (on PS Vita!)
  • Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
  • Everybody's Golf
  • Life is Strange: Before the Storm
  • SteamWorld Dig 2
  • Golf Story
  • Cuphead
  • Gran Turismo Sport
  • Super Mario Odyssey

It wasn't a good year for my Xbox One though...

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It does this by

• Animation
Theres no other game this gen which feels like a "living breathing world" this gen. Other games this gen just feel like better versions of what's been done before rather then feeling like somthing new.
BotW feels more like a living world just based on its physics system, player interaction with the world itself, and how weather affects the environment. It's running on Xbox 360 level hardware (Wii U is its base), yet feels more "alive" than anything else this generation. It's remarkable.

RedHand

Oct 27, 2017
2016 for me. The Witness, Doom, Witcher 3 DLCs, Dark Souls 3, Deus Ex, Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, Dishonored 2, Inside, Uncharted 4, Firewatch, Infinite Warfare, Overwatch, Rise of the Tom Raider on PS4. Phew.

I have no idea how I even made time for all that (and others I'm surely forgetting).

Aug 2, 2018

It does this by

• Animation
I feel like Witcher 3 did all of this, without being an absolute chore to play. RDR 2, a video game, takes so much control away from the player during missions that at times, it barely felt like a video game. Dunkey said, it best " the game rides your horse for you, the it aims your guns for you, it practically plays itself for you". For every step RDR 2 took to push video games forward, it took one back. Things like lengthy animations and excessive realism is antithetical to video game enjoyment in my opinion. I really hope more games don't follow this style.

Coco64x

Jul 13, 2019
2017 for me.

Sonic mania, Nier automata and Yakuza zero all crack my top 10 of all time.
Loved Mario Odyssey, Mario+Rabbids and Persona 5 and liked Yooka Laylee, Yakuza Kiwami and Gravity Rush 2.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
2017 by a mile. In addition to Horizon ZD, Prey, Hellblade, and NieR, Nintendo came out swinging with the one-two-three punch of Breath of the Wild, Splatoon 2, and Mario Odyssey, plus some surprisingly strong early third-party offerings like Mario+Rabbids and Xenoblade 2. Not to mention the Switch itself! There's a reason everyone wants every game ported to that thing.

Deleted member 8688

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
2017 on PS4 was wild. It was an onslaught of great games including Horizon, Nier, Nioh, Uncharted LL, Everybody's Golf, Wipeout Omega Collection, Gravity Rush 2, Persona 5, Yakuza 0, GT Sport, FF12 remaster, and probably still more I'm forgetting. And that's only the exclusives.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
I really think every year since 2015 has been superb. If I was forced to choose, I'd give 2018 the slightest of edges over 2015, 2017, and 2019 because of Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Red Dead Redemption II, God of War, Spider-Man, and Shadow of the Tomb Raider. The DLC/post launch support that most of those games received was nothing short of spectacular, and kept me playing them well after release.

SweetBellic

Oct 28, 2017
1) 2015 (GTA V on PC, MGSV, Bloodborne, Fallout 4, Witcher 3)
2) 2019 (RDR2 on PC, Sekiro, REmake2)
3) 2018 (RDR2, AC: Odyssey, GoW)
4) 2017 (Prey, AC: Origins, Nioh)
5) 2016 (DS3, Dishonored 2)