• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Xbox shooter series do you enjoy more, Halo or Gears?

• I enjoy Halo more than Gears

Votes: 489 62.5%
  • I enjoy Gears more than Halo

Votes: 158 20.2%
  • I prefer Halo for story campaigns, but Gears for MP

Votes: 20 2.6%
  • I prefer Gears for story campaigns, but Halo for MP

Votes: 47 6.0%
  • I dislike both Halo & Gears

Votes: 68 8.7%

• Total voters

GamerJM

Nov 8, 2017
Halo pretty consistently across the board in both single and multi, but I only played Gears 2.

MysteryM

Oct 28, 2017
I prefer halo multiplayer over gears any day of the week.

I've played gears multiplayer on every iteration but it's not a patch on halo.

Hixx

Oct 25, 2017
Solo I probably prefer more Gears campaigns than Halos at this point. Massively prefer Halo in co-op though. Totally different game and makes even the worst ones worth playing multiple times.

As for multiplayer... both games have some real dog dirt entries and some GOAT entries. Gears 3 and Halo 3 are still, to me, the absolute kings of console multiplayer experiences.

Overall I really do struggle to pick one series over the other. I think I'll go with Halo because I don't think its multiplayer needs huge changes to be big again whereas I think Gears really does. Maybe that means I think Gears is starting to show its age at a core gameplay level? Idk. I'll probably change my mind in half an hour.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
gears campaign by far.

mp wise? neither is my cup of tea but i can have fun with halo mp. Gears though, fucking dire, same meta since gears 1, boring ass shotgun and ridiculous movement.

Horde was nice when it was new but it feels like it's been outdone by other games many times over.

mikeys_legendary

The Fallen
Sep 26, 2018
Bungie Halo was what got me into FPS games. The last FPS I seriously played was Destiny 2.

Gears 1-3 were amazing as well, but I think I'd give it to Halo.

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
Halo for sure.

Gears feels like a cow's udder that's been milked completely dry. And yet it's still being milked.

bmdubya

Nov 1, 2017
Colorado
Halo for sure. I've always enjoyed the arena FPS multiplayer plus after replaying the MCC games on PC, it has a pretty decent story as well. I grew up with Halo though, and I've been getting back into multiplayer recently. It just feels and plays so well on PC.

Hogendaz85

Dec 6, 2017
Gears MP is my favorite MP so for sure Gears although I had a ton of fun with halo with my friends on the original Xbox.
Ive played every halo but never finished any of the campaigns whereas I've played through each gears game more than once

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I like both. But, its:

HALO

In all aspects:

• Single Player Campaign
  • Couch/Co-op or online Campaign
  • Multiplayer (Couch or online, with friends or randoms)

I like Gears for the campaign and maaaaybe for a couple of Horde matches. I have played them all multiple times, but Halo, is Halo.

Jan 4, 2018
I think Halo has better PvP multiplayer, but Horde Mode is better than Firefight, and I'm a big co-op guy.

They're both great but I'd give the edge to Halo just because of the sandbox and mechanics allowing for more diversity of play.

Kurt Russell

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who doesn't really have nostalgia for Halo (grew up with PC shooters, so for me it's kind of a downgrade) I'd go with Gears. This is for campaign btw, not really into MP for either series (but love the cooperative modes in both).

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Gears is one of my favorite franchises ever and I'm not a huge FPS fan so that's how I arrive at that.

MC_Leon6494

Sep 7, 2018
Every time I've tried to play a Gears game it has felt incredibly slow and clunky vs like every other third person shooter and I do not like that. Halo basically *is* first person shooters for me and I just vibe with it far more. I should give the newer Gears games a shot, but bounced off 1-3 when I tried em back in the day

Classybro

Oct 27, 2017
Seriously what's the point of the last option???? Halo it is and fire fight I'm reach is the best horde mode in any game

Aug 12, 2019
Halo at its best is better than Gears at its best, but Gears currently feels like it's in a better place than Halo does. That said, I think Gears suffers from much more burnout overall compared to Halo. Halo, for as much as I'll knock the most recent 343 games has always felt different between games and allowed them each to have their own identity. Gears? Not so much.

ManNR

Feb 13, 2019
I have loved Halo for a long time so it gets my vote but Gears feels so satisfying to play!