• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
It's not on your list, but Halo: The Master Chief Collection was a dumpster fire on release and now it's become a really amazing repository for everything Halo. I'd venture to say it sets a new bar for game collections

Deleted member 1726

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That the series looks far more enjoyable than my initial impressions from the Xbox 360 days or limited demo gave it credit for?

That's the correct response, I would hope.

I never said they were similar. I just said I was unfamiliar with them.

Good lord, I was told Forza players were the NICE ones. I'm legitimately taken aback by some of the hostility at being mostly unfamiliar with a franchise, like I purposefully was excluding some sacred cow or something.

Thanks to the person who PM'd me a list of gameplay breakdowns explaining what's so good about the series and their difference. That was appreciated.

in truth I was a little snappy about your OP I agree, but the very fact you completely dismiss the series straight out the gate (and the fact it's one of the top rated games on the systems) seems a little suspect, and as said above it's very frustrating that the series gets constantly looked over because "lol it's just a racing game bro" yet as someone else said there are posts all the time of "what's the equivalent of the Forza Horoizon series ?" and the opinion is the crew....which is just such a poor mans version of the games it's unreal.

So yes it's annoying to read posts that completely ignore the series, and there seems like no real reason to tell youto play it because you don't really like racing games. 🤷🏻‍♂️

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
OP, to describe it in a mature way with zero snark, Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon are two different series developed by two different developers. They share DNA in that they both have cars but they're different games.

To demonstrate one difference: Forza Horizon has a Battle Royale mode! And a LEGO world. That's how little of a traditional racing game it is.

To be honest, I figured you'd left out Horizon and Ori because they don't need 're-appraising'. They're generally considered top class in their respective genres.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
It's not on your list, but Halo: The Master Chief Collection was a dumpster fire on release and now it's become a really amazing repository for everything Halo. I'd venture to say it sets a new bar for game collections

Yup, it always had that quality waiting to be finally polished.

They said they're never doing something like that again, as it was a horrible thing to organize. But man I'm glad they did it and committed to fixing it.

It is a staple for anyone with an xbox one. Fantastic package.

Oct 25, 2017
Killer instinct was a lot better than its original reviews
Yeah that's kind of astonishing how low it scored. I realize it didn't have a ton of content at the beginning but what is there is fantastic no? Why rate it THAT low?

Season 2 = 85MC
www.metacritic.com

Killer Instinct Season 2

Killer Instinct Season 2 for Xbox One game reviews & Metacritic score: Killer Instinct 2 Classic is included in the Season 2 Ultra Edition. You must purchase Season 2 Ultra Edition to access. Killer Instinct 2 Classic is a complete...

Season 3 = 86MC
www.metacritic.com

Killer Instinct Season 3

Killer Instinct Season 3 for Xbox One game reviews & Metacritic score: Eight characters are coming to Killer Instinct with the Season 3 update, including Rash (Battletoads), Arbiter (Halo), Kim Wu, and Tusk....

Definitive Edition = 86MC

Killer Instinct: Definitive Edition

FIGHT ON! Discover your Killer Instinct! Play the legendary fighting game with stunning 60 FPS visuals, over-the-top action, a wild cast of combatants, rocking reactive music, and C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERS! Killer Instinct: Definitive Edition includes all 26 characters and 20 stages from Seasons...

Deleted member 1726

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OP, to describe it in a mature way with zero snark, Forza Motorsport and Forza Horizon are two different series developed by two different developers. They share DNA in that they both have cars but they're different games.

To demonstrate one difference: Forza Horizon has a Battle Royale mode! And a LEGO world. That's how little of a traditional racing game it is.

To be honest, I figured you'd left out Horizon and Ori because they don't need 're-appraising'. They're generally considered top class in their respective genres.

what got my back up was saying "Xbox never got its BoTW moment" when my golly gosh it bloody well did!

Go ahead and play Forza Horizon 3, I mean the Hot Wheels expansion pack alone was mind blowing let alone the fact that it's on top of the base game which is phenomenal.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Season 2 = 85MC
www.metacritic.com

Killer Instinct Season 2

Killer Instinct Season 2 for Xbox One game reviews & Metacritic score: Killer Instinct 2 Classic is included in the Season 2 Ultra Edition. You must purchase Season 2 Ultra Edition to access. Killer Instinct 2 Classic is a complete...

Season 3 = 86MC
www.metacritic.com

Killer Instinct Season 3

Killer Instinct Season 3 for Xbox One game reviews & Metacritic score: Eight characters are coming to Killer Instinct with the Season 3 update, including Rash (Battletoads), Arbiter (Halo), Kim Wu, and Tusk....

Definitive Edition = 86MC

Killer Instinct: Definitive Edition

FIGHT ON! Discover your Killer Instinct! Play the legendary fighting game with stunning 60 FPS visuals, over-the-top action, a wild cast of combatants, rocking reactive music, and C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERS! Killer Instinct: Definitive Edition includes all 26 characters and 20 stages from Seasons...

I guess given every person I have ever interacted with who played the game, 86 feels low. But I'm not knowledgeable enough in fighting games so I can't give a compelling contention here.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Okay.... I must have missed that, and even if that was the case, that's not the reality now.
4c7a32421939bdedfc1a21ab86370daff649e5e3r1-640-889v2_uhq.jpg

You want to make a case, just say "Ori and the Will of the Wisps", which is currently only on the Xbox One console for the time being. I don't think it's weird to admit that many people's first exposure to Ori wasn't on Xbox though; it was with Nintendo. It's also the best-performing version of the game as well.

I'm sure they are, and all I know is "one is open-world" (to which I'm sure many Forza players can go "that's HUGE!"). Just as I'm sure the fact that Tony Hawk's American Wasteland is one big open-world level instead of the traditional levels is a game-changer for many (I assume). Sorry, I threw together a list of games and didn't include EVERY installment in the Forza series or subseries.

There's a reason I asked "did I overlook any"? It wasn't malicious. I just don't have interest in Forza and that's where my knowledge ended. If you think I should re-appraise my opinion of the Forza series, I created this thread for that very reason. Maybe make me a believer. I'm pretty open-minded, but my limited interest in the genre and demos of the game didn't convince me at the time that going open-world was the solution to my disinterest in the genre (which isn't to say I dislike racers - I quite enjoy F-Zero, Wipeout, Mario Kart, Crash Team Racing, Burnout, and Blur. Heck, I still get the itch to play Beetle Adventure Racing...)

I could have also included all the other missing games, from Crimson Dragon to Xbox Fitness to Zoo Tycoon. If something wasn't on my sample sheet, just speak up. I was asking if the games needed a re-appraisal in the first place and I've never heard of anyone really saying the Forza series needs that. The fans still like 'em and I haven't heard anyone in the entire console generation claim a Forza title was poorly received or too highly rated.

Link that its the best performing version?

OP
OP
Garlador

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
in truth I was a little snappy about your OP I agree, but the very fact you completely dismiss the series straight out the gate (and the fact it's one of the top rated games on the systems) seems a little suspect, and as said above it's very frustrating that the series gets constantly looked over because "lol it's just a racing game bro" yet as someone else said there are posts all the time of "what's the equivalent of the Forza Horoizon series ?" and the opinion is the crew....which is just such a poor mans version of the games it's unreal.

So yes it's annoying to read posts that completely ignore the series, and there seems like no real reason to tell youto play it because you don't really like racing games. 🤷🏻‍♂️
I love racing games. I mentioned earlier I play a significant amount of F-Zero, Wipeout, Mario Kart, Crash Team Racing, Blur, Burnout, and several others. I guess I should have clarified I'm less enthusiastic about the more "racing sim" genre, which (forgive this possible ignorance) was stuff like Forza Motorsport, Gran Turismo, Driveclub, Asphalt, Project Cars, etc.

I also threw the list together at, like, 5 am with a screaming baby as I tried to navigate a crashing metacritic website and photoshop franchise pictures and scores together for a good and encompassing list of titles. I knew at the start there would be some big glaring omissions that slipped my mind (seriously, I should have put Ori and the Will of the Wisps in there just to gush about it more).

A little of column A, a little of column B. Though I am woefully ignorant of the Forza series, I said earlier that I've never heard of any fans having any major issues with the series. I've never once come across a thread saying a Forza game was underrated or underappreciated (or, inversely, overrated and overhyped).

Link that its the best performing version?
Straight from the developer.

Segafreak

Oct 27, 2017
Sunset Overdrive is Top 10 Game of the Generation, I feel if it was on PS4 it would get the attention it deserves, it was much better than inFamous SS.

I'd rather have Sunset Overdrive 2 than Spider Man 2.

The console generation is ostensibly winding down and the Xbox Series X looms on the horizon. As I look back at my Xbox One, I see a console and company that went through arguably more changes than any other this gen. We're such a far cry from the infamous Xbox One reveal, used game fiasco, always-online demands, Kinect requirements, lack of BC, and so much more and I find the system is arguably the most value of all the competitors right now.

But I also remember a big reason I cooled on the system early on was a general lukewarm reception to what felt like every Xbox One console exclusive. As things wind down, there just weren't that many big exclusive titles compared to its competition, for better or for worse, and few emerged as stand-out new gaming classics. Xbox One never got its BOTW moment, or something as acclaimed as God of War or Horizon: Zero Dawn. I remember looking forward to a great many games and passing on them altogether due to muted reception at the time compared to the system's peers, while many others wound up cancelled (RIP Fable Legends, Scalebound, and more). But games aren't as much a product of their times anymore, and continued support can alter a mediocre title into something great, beyond a shaky launch - Just like the Xbox One system itself.

Here's the list of the titles I felt were THE big console exclusives for the Xbox One and their metacritic scores:
Some of these received significant updates. Some of these were better or more poorly received than their critical scores would indicate. Some may not even be viable purchases anymore if the product wasn't supported, the community moved on to follow-ups, or if customers don't have Kinect.

So as I look back at what Xbox had to offer, I'm wondering which Xbox One exclusive titles deserve a proper re-appraisal? Are there any hidden gems in the Xbox One exclusive library that the masses have overlooked? Any that deserve a significant second chance? Any that I failed to include?

No wonder MS totally failed with exclusives this gen, what a boring list. Why would you need a re-appraisal of the very popular games Halo, Gears and Forza? Take out the Halo, Gears and Forza and it's only "Orange" or near Orange Metacritic scores. Quantum Break was an absolute borefest which came to me as a surprise after Alan Wake. TF2 improved upon TF1 in every way and it's a superior game.

And no there are no hidden gems lol, the library is too small for there to be anything hidden. The Xbone library is without a doubt the weakest library along with the Vita.

OP
OP
Garlador

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No wonder MS totally failed with exclusives this gen, what a boring list. Why would you need a re-appraisal of the very popular games Halo, Gears and Forza? Take out the Halo, Gears and Forza and it's only "Orange" or near Orange Metacritic scores. Quantum Break was an absolute borefest which came to me as a surprise after Alan Wake. TF2 improved upon TF1 in every way and it's a superior game.
I actually have heard quite a lot of divisive things about the Halo and Gears entries, particularly since both of them changed hands from their original studios and were continued past their original endings by brand new studios created solely to make more entries. I actually own copies of both Halo 5 and Gears 4 but haven't got around to trying them out yet, but the reception among the fans was mixed, even if they skewed positive.

I definitely think the recent Halo and Gears games are worth re-appraising now that more time has passed and growing pains have lessened.

Moist_Owlet

Banned
Dec 26, 2017
Sunset Overdrive is Top 10 Game of the Generation, I feel if it was on PS4 it would get the attention it deserves, it was much better than inFamous SS.

I'd rather have Sunset Overdrive 2 than Spider Man 2.

And no there are no hidden gems lol, the library is too small for there to be anything hidden. The Xbone library is without a doubt the weakest library along with the Vita.
I don't think that's fair, the vita has a few hidden gems.

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Sea of Thieves stands out. I think it would re-review exceptionally well now. I think Sunset Overdrive has a new appreciation too.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Sea of Thieves is absolutely on the level of BoTW. It's revolutionary, freeing, and it completely eliminated many outdated concepts.

It literally does the same excnept instead of exploration, it uses the online community.
outdated concepts like progression? I think it still would be better with some kind of progression system but everyone loves it for sone reason.
I love racing games. I mentioned earlier I play a significant amount of F-Zero, Wipeout, Mario Kart, Crash Team Racing, Blur, Burnout, and several others. I guess I should have clarified I'm less enthusiastic about the more "racing sim" genre, which (forgive this possible ignorance) was stuff like Forza Motorsport, Gran Turismo, Driveclub, Asphalt, Project Cars, etc.

I also threw the list together at, like, 5 am with a screaming baby as I tried to navigate a crashing metacritic website and photoshop franchise pictures and scores together for a good and encompassing list of titles. I knew at the start there would be some big glaring omissions that slipped my mind (seriously, I should have put Ori and the Will of the Wisps in there just to gush about it more).

A little of column A, a little of column B. Though I am woefully ignorant of the Forza series, I said earlier that I've never heard of any fans having any major issues with the series. I've never once come across a thread saying a Forza game was underrated or underappreciated (or, inversely, overrated and overhyped).

Straight from the developer.

They say it has 60fps sprites not that its the best performing. Its also max 1080p vs 4k on xb1x and pc.

roly82

Apr 2, 2019
KI is one of the best fighting this gen, and the model of f2p was great, but hey it was a time where underestimate every single thing of XBO was acceptable.

Titanfall is a +90 an online masterpiece

State of Decay 2 is a great sleeper

Sunset overdrive is better than Halo 5 and Gears 4 and 5 by far.

That's was the problem of Xbox this gen, the quality of Halo, Gears and Forza Motorsport, too low and irrelevant entries. (Halo multiplayer was great). But I had a great time with the rest of games so I enjoyed more this gen than 360 (I only miss Fable, cause I replaced my love for Gears to Titanfall).

OP
OP
Garlador

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
outdated concepts like progression? I think it still would be better with some kind of progression system but everyone loves it for sone reason.

They say it has 60fps sprites not that its the best performing. Its also max 1080p vs 4k on xb1x and pc.
I don't consider resolution quite the same as gameplay performance (I take 60fps and solid performance every time on games that offer that or 30 fps 4K). Watching the performance comparison videos, the Switch version does indeed run at TWICE the animation at 60fps (it's a massive difference to my eyes) and also had fewer framerate hiccups (though all versions are extremely solid and masterfully crafted. We're talking a difference of rocksolid 60fps versus occasional dips into 58fps). It's also, as stated, just a more optimized version of the original game. That's normal given their experience with the engine and its sequel when porting the original.

I haven't compared it to Switch's undocked mode, however. I know that's always a sort of iffy area, but haven't heard any complaints.

Deleted member 13645

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Recore after all the updates is a pretty good game. It still has issues, but it's not nearly as bad as it was on release, and is a pretty unique thing.

Rndom Grenadez

Prophet of Truth
Dec 7, 2017
They don't need re-appraisals but both Ori games often get overlooked. IMO they are better than any other exclusive this generation save BotW, Odyssey and Smash.

OP
OP
Garlador

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
mOEOA4Y.png

Fixed it in Paint.

Well, I tried.
I would remove Blind Forest, since it's not really an Xbox console exclusive, but definitely keep Will of the Wisps.

I also didn't include compilation or collections like Master Chief Collection or Rare Replay because they weren't technically "new" releases (though the amount of work put into MCC to polish it up I feel definitely leaves that open for re-appraisal given how bad its original reception was.

shitty take

looks like OP does too

"Here's the list of the titles I felt were THE big console exclusives for the Xbox One and their metacritic scores:"
Leaves out Forza horizon and ORI
I most certainly never said Forza was garbage. Every statement in this thread has had me saying they're some of the best games on the system.
I admit I forgot Ori (too much time playing it on Switch lately) and have been duly educated on the Forza series. I also apologized for not being more inclusive of the other Forza games. I honestly shouldn't have included Forza in that list because, well, neither Ori or Forza really need re-appraisals, do they?

Seriously, I'm still legit surprised at the vitriol. Here I was expecting Gears or Halo fans to come at me for not instantly including the MCC or Gears Pop. I've learned the hard way that Horizon fans do NOT like having that series overlooked.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I don't consider resolution quite the same as gameplay performance (I take 60fps and solid performance every time on games that offer that or 30 fps 4K). Watching the performance comparison videos, the Switch version does indeed run at TWICE the animation at 60fps (it's a massive difference to my eyes) and also had fewer framerate hiccups (though all versions are extremely solid and masterfully crafted. We're talking a difference of rocksolid 60fps versus occasional dips into 58fps). It's also, as stated, just a more optimized version of the original game. That's normal given their experience with the engine and its sequel when porting the original.

I haven't compared it to Switch's undocked mode, however. I know that's always a sort of iffy area, but haven't heard any complaints.
So its your opinion which is fair. Dont forget there is a definitive version on xb1 and pc as well. Not sure what you mean "just more optimized"
Its a great port for sure, regardless

And you continuing on about ori isnt a console exclusive!
It doesnt matter, it was literally published by MS who own the IP.

Sotha_Sil

Nov 4, 2017
I wish ReCore was re-reviewed for the Definitive Edition update. It fixed a lot of technical issues and added more areas. The final product was actually a fun, mid-sized game that I would have loved to see a sequel to.

OP
OP
Garlador

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
And you continuing on about ori isnt a console exclusive!
It doesnt matter, it was literally published by MS who own the IP.
Minecraft is owned and published by MS. I don't consider it an Xbox exclusive just because they publish it. Same as Cuphead (I still find it funny that Microsoft asked THEM to make the Switch version happen).

Again, if it bugs people that Ori isn't an Xbox-only franchise, just use the newer release as your example. That's still very much an exclusive. Not sure it needs a re-appraisal though.

2PiR

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
Sunset Overdrive was awesome but Halo 5 is where i have spent the most time.

Beuntje

Oct 29, 2017
Really liked Quantum Break (had high expectations for Control, but didn't like it al…) and Forza Horizon 4

OtterX

Mar 12, 2020
Reappraisal? Certainly State of Decay 2, Sea of Thieves, and ReCore.

State of Decay 2 has arguably improved as much as Sea of Thieves. It's added a story mode. Loads of content.

Sea of Thieves has added tons of content since launch. Lack of content was like the main criticism at launch.

ReCore: Definitive Edition has fixed most launch criticisms as well. Loading times are much better, finally added the tank, and bugs have been fixed.

I think Halo Wars 2 deserves a much higher score. Best console rts ever made imo.

Dinjoralo

Oct 25, 2017
All this talk of Forza Horizon, here's my two cents: it's unique? I don't play a lot of racing games. You're all telling me nobody had the idea of "racing game in big open world" before, and nobody else has done that up to now? That seems like a slam dunk, an easy combination.

Killer Instinct absolutely deserved better. Not being on the platform that's used for every fighting game tournament probably killed a lot of momentum it could have had.

Andrei Rublev

Jun 8, 2018
There are some games in the OP that I liked more than reviewers did, but I think the common complaints against them were pretty valid.

Quantum Break is one of my favorite games this generation, but the accompanying TV show is pretty damn bad. When that's a central aspect of the game, it's not going to review well. TV show aside, the gameplay is top-notch and pretty much everything I expect from Remedy.

Ryse: Son of Rome. Embarrassed to admit this was the game that made me want to get an Xbox One at launch. I've loved Roman history since I was young and I thought it was the best looking next-generation launch title. I think the story and graphics still hold up to this day, but the game was rightly criticized for its hollow gameplay.

Lastly, I think Sea of Thieves has made a huge turnaround. It was pretty bare-bones at release, even when its core gameplay was solid. Rare has done a wonderful job expanding the game. I know people talk about the water in Sea of Thieves looking stunning, but I don't think it gets enough praise for how beautiful the rest of the game looks.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
And yet, both games listed were different from basically any other game out there.

Horizon's VS Robodinosaur souls-dodge combat, and BOTW's well throw everything at the wall approach.

Forza Horizon is 'just' a racing game in the sense that it doesn't really try and buck that trend. (I have nothing against racing games, one of my most hyped close releases is the re-release of Star Wars Episode 1 Racer on the 12th.)
one of the worst takes ive ever seen

Horizon is not "just a racing game"

Do some research

Deleted member 17092

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Ryse is the most glaring to me. Beautiful and gameplay is also tight on the harder difficulties. On steam it's a 9/10.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
I would remove Blind Forest, since it's not really an Xbox console exclusive, but definitely keep Will of the Wisps.

I also didn't include compilation or collections like Master Chief Collection or Rare Replay because they weren't technically "new" releases (though the amount of work put into MCC to polish it up I feel definitely leaves that open for re-appraisal given how bad its original reception was.

Yeah, no matter what selection of games you would've chosen. There would've been people commenting on it.

I think excluding FH3/FH4 and Ori BF and Ori WotW wasn't a problem. Those games don't require re-appraisal. As they're critically acclaimed all over the board. It all started to go down when you started about why you'd excluded them. Haha.

Anyway, I like the idea of this topic. So no need to trail off into offtopicness any longer.

As I said, Halo Wars 2 has improved upon the original release. It's still a console RTS, so it won't ever be regarded as one of the great strategy games for me. But I applaud CA for what they've done with the franchise. And I hope we return to the Spirit of Fire one day.

Lyre

Alt Account
Banned
Feb 12, 2020
London
Honestly glad I boycotted the Xbox One this generation; after last gen's closures of Ensemble & Lionhead, Gears and Halo switching studios, and the loss of Bungie, the generation played out pretty much exactly as I expected, with Sea of Thieves and Halo Wars 2 seemingly the only pleasant surprises. As expected, Turn 10 (who make racing games), were Microsoft's only competent studio, which says it all really.

Now should be the turning point though, the new guy in charge is doing a great job and things should get substantially better next gen.

Edit - I adored State of Decay, how did they fuck up 2 so bad ffs.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly glad I boycotted the Xbox One this generation; after last gen's closures of Ensemble & Lionhead, loss of Bungie, the generation played out pretty much exactly as I expected, with Sea of Thieves and Halo Wars 2 seemingly the only pleasant surprises. As expected, Turn 10 (who make racing games), were Microsoft's only competent studio.

Now should be the turning point though, the new guy in charge is doing a great job and things should get substantially better next gen.
Boycott lol?

Lionhead's output was wack, although that's probably more to do with the fraud running the place than MS' ownership, although they could have potted PM, I guess.

Ensemble - I enjoyed HW and poured hours into the online, but studios don't get shuttered for nothing.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Quantum breaks gameplay was actually really good. The weapons felt good and blended with the powers well. The tv stuff was honestly a drag on the game. I got all 1000g was sad they didnt make any dlc it must have failed hard.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Boycott lol?

Lionhead's output was wack, although that's probably more to do with the fraud running the place than MS' ownership, although they could have potted PM, I guess.

Ensemble - I enjoyed HW and poured hours into the online, but studios don't get shuttered for nothing.
PM was not at lionhead anymore when they were developing legends.
I was sad they closed lionhead as it was a really stupid move at the time with no replacement lined up.
Now however its proven to be a good long term decision as Id expect a playground rpg team to do beter than the crew that was left at lionhead.
I wonder if pgg has hired any ex lionhead devs