• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Xbox Exclusive will be the next to hit 90+ on Metacritic ?

• Halo Infinite

Votes: 114 11.9%
  • Gears 5

Votes: 63 6.6%
  • Ori and the Will of the Wisps

Votes: 555 57.9%
  • Ninja Theory New Game

Votes: 39 4.1%
  • Forza Horizon 5

Votes: 187 19.5%

• Total voters
OP
OP
BladeRunner2099
Aug 26, 2018
We don't even know what Ninja Theory is making though tbh, all we know is that they made a game like Hellblade with a micro staff and budget so expectations should be fairly high, at least high 80's

3 games though, Playgrounds RPG, The Initiatives game and Obsidians need to be 90+

If Initiative gets even an 89 it'll be an instant L for them given how much investment and talent is going in the studio.

Not sure about this though. Horizon Zero Dawn was an 88, Spider Man was an 87. I don't think Sony is unhappy about this given how well they sold.

There will be a minimum expectation of the Initiative to sell atleast 5+ Million copies and get a 80+ Metacritic.

Regarding Ninja Theory, imagine what they did with a new game with sufficient time and money, Hellblade was amazing for me!

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We don't even know what Ninja Theory is making though tbh, all we know is that they made a game like Hellblade with a micro staff and budget so expectations should be fairly high, at least high 80's

3 games though, Playgrounds RPG, The Initiatives game and Obsidians need to be 90+

If Initiative gets even an 89 it'll be an instant L for them given how much investment and talent is going in the studio.

Spiderman sits at 87 and Horizon ZD 89, if fans are forgiving of those scores, why would you think it would be disastrous for a new studio like The Initiative?

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018
This is a joke post right?

Nope, given the hype, the talent, the money and the blank check mentality. That studio is designed to make something to knock the industry on it's ass

I don't think the mainline forza is mainstream enough to score 90s. But that's just my personal opinion on racing games like that and gran tourismo that are more sim-ish and trend towards realism.

Halo and gears would need to knock it out of the park instead of being more of the same.
Maybe the year off will do wonders for Turn 10. They still manage to blow their competition out of the water despite Forza MS getting degraded

Seems like they want to go back to making it a premium experience like it was during the 360 days.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Nope, given the hype, the talent, the money and the blank check mentality. That studio is designed to make something to knock the industry on it's ass
You can't will that into existence.

That's an absurd standard to set. Let's hope they make a dope video game. Expecting some industry shaking masterwork is just unfair.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017

Maybe the year off will do wonders for Turn 10. They still manage to blow their competition out of the water despite Forza MS getting degraded

Seems like they want to go back to making it a premium experience like it was during the 360 days.
What is the difference between an 89 and a 90? An 89 game is an amazing achievement.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Turn 10 say they're not working on the next Forza atm? I assumed it would take a year break and launch with the next Xbox. I wouldn't be surprised if Forza Horizon 4 was the last Forza for this gen.
Woah??! That's honestly brilliant news. The franchise needs a break, I'm even more excited to know they may be working on non Forza game (if I interpreted your post correctly)

Deleted member 35598

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 7, 2017
Spain
Gears 5 ! Gears 4 was great snd very underrated. And if anything the E3 trailer for Gears 5 seems to indicate the sequel will be even better. In my top 3 most anticipated 2019 games after Metroid Prime 4 and RE2 Remake.

Spanic

Oct 31, 2017
US
While I think Gears and Halo will be really close if not 90 when they release, Ori is probably the next game to hit it based on release date. They just need to improve on the magic that was the first game.

Lothars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
343 hasn't made a halo game that will hit that and I don't believe infinite will especially after how bad halo 5 is. So it won't be that. I could see it, Ori hitting 90% and FH5 has a great chance to as well. The rest or them are up in the air.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2099
Aug 26, 2018
Gears 5 ! Gears 4 was great snd very underrated. And if anything the E3 trailer for Gears 5 seems to indicate the sequel will be even better. In my top 3 most anticipated 2019 games after Metroid Prime 4 and RE2 Remake.

If Gears 4 was a new IP, it would have been an 88/89 in my opinion but the franchise fatigue with the same gameplay formula hurt it. New characters really didn't engage, but Gears 5 trailer looks promising.

The Living Tribunal

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

What the hell am i reading

Deleted member 14927

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Forza Gotham Racing is missing from that list.

I mean - I can just feel it in my bones that it's going to happen

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
Love this thread, thanks for the confidence, haha! :)

If we don't get 90+ Metacritic with Will of the Wisps, I'll probably drink myself to death. And I'm not even an alcoholic. We've been slaving away for so long just to make sure we hit every single beat and we're in full on polishing mode. Getting a game at this size to that level of quality is insanely hard work, but it'll pay off once I read all the comments here and watch all the playthroughs on Youtube. I can't wait for that to happen, but there's still quite a bit of work left to do before we can convince every single last one of you scrutinizing folks :D

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX

Xbox threads are always fun to read.

Jun 22, 2018

If we don't get 90+ Metacritic with Will of the Wisps, I'll probably drink myself to death. And I'm not even an alcoholic. We've been slaving away for so long just to make sure we hit every single beat and we're in full on polishing mode. Getting a game at this size to that level of quality is insanely hard work, but it'll pay off once I read all the comments here and watch all the playthroughs on Youtube. I can't wait for that to happen, but there's still quite a bit of work left to do before we can convince every single last one of you scrutinizing folks :D
You all made an amazing game and Will of the Wisps is looking fantastic. Thanks for the dedicated work!

OP
OP
BladeRunner2099
Aug 26, 2018

The game and music already looks and feels phenomenal. But we expect only the best from Moon Studios and Ori ( Oh, and a few tears at the end too!!).

Is the world bigger than Ori and the Blind Forest Thomas Mahler?

thomasmahler

Game Director at Moon Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Vienna / Austria
The game and music already looks and feels phenomenal. But we expect only the best from Moon Studios and Ori ( Oh, and a few tears at the end too!!).

Is the world bigger than Ori and the Blind Forest Thomas Mahler?

Many times bigger. But it's not actually about just about the size, it's also about the depth. Make of that what you will :)

dom

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Only Ori has a chance. FH5 will feel too similar and besides the graphical improvement there won't be much else to hit 90s again. Gonna gamble and say of the other 3, one will hit in the high 70s.

Rami Seb

Banned
Sep 28, 2018

VanDoughnut

Oct 30, 2017
Ori and Forza will.

I just haven't seen enough of Halo Infinite to guess. All I know is 343 hasn't been able to take Halo in a direction that would give me that kind of confidence.

Gears 5 will be in the mid 80s.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
Ori, because it'll be the first game to release. ;)

I also think Gears 5 will surprise people. The Coalition made a safe game with 4, they can experiment more with 5.

Horizon 5 is a very long time away. That won't release before 2021.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2099
Aug 26, 2018
Why is Ninja Theory so low I wonder?

Hellblade on that budget was worth every cent and a real experience!

I guess once they announce at E3 2019..hype level will increase!

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
Yay prediction time.

Ori will finish with a 91 IMO.
It will get it because it will be the first one to release.

I honestly think Gears 5 and Halo infinite will be big refreshers to their respetive series.

Its sad that Crackdown 3 isn't even on the poll, but I understand. Realistically I am expecting a 78-84 Metacritic, and most will guess lower, but that is because they are not understanding how much polish they are trying to put into the game. My guess is 81.

The coalition has a lot of talent, and they made a safe game on purpose with Gears 4 that still got an 84. With them fully leveraging a full 3 year developent time on an engine they understand fully I can see them cranking out a 90 for Gears 5, but probably not any higher.

As for Halo Infinite... I think it will get to 94 if it does not have some kind of collosal failure. This game has a 5 year development time, a brand new engine and some of the best technical experts microsoft could find. Its a real unkown really, if something they do wrecks it it could be the firt halo shooter below 80, but if they do it right I can see a return to halo 1-3's meta scores. My guess is 91.

Ninja Theory's next game, Bleeding Edge, won't be as big budget, but they will have learned from Hellblade, so I expect it to finish with an 87
Turn 10 will be on the sidelines for a while, but I expect a rebound solid title with Forza Motorsport 8 probably an 86
Forza Horizon 5
will head to Japan and secure a 91.

And when Playgrounds Fable launches it will be a 93.

So I guess my answer will be all of them except for Bleeding Edge. We will see how it goes.

OP
OP
BladeRunner2099
Aug 26, 2018
Yay prediction time.

Ori will finish with a 91 IMO.
It will get it because it will be the first one to release.

I honestly think Gears 5 and Halo infinite will be big refreshers to their respetive series.

Its sad that Crackdown 3 isn't even on the poll, but I understand. Realistically I am expecting a 78-84 Metacritic, and most will guess lower, but that is because they are not understanding how much polish they are trying to put into the game. My guess is 81.

The coalition has a lot of talent, and they made a safe game on purpose with Gears 4 that still got an 84. With them fully leveraging a full 3 year developent time on an engine they understand fully I can see them cranking out a 90 for Gears 5, but probably not any higher.

As for Halo Infinite... I think it will get to 94 if it does not have some kind of collosal failure. This game has a 5 year development time, a brand new engine and some of the best technical experts microsoft could find. Its a real unkown really, if something they do wrecks it it could be the firt halo shooter below 80, but if they do it right I can see a return to halo 1-3's meta scores. My guess is 91.

Ninja Theory's next game, Bleeding Edge, won't be as big budget, but they will have learned from Hellblade, so I expect it to finish with an 87
Turn 10 will be on the sidelines for a while, but I expect a rebound solid title with Forza Motorsport 8 probably an 86
Forza Horizon 5
will head to Japan and secure a 91.

And when Playgrounds Fable launches it will be a 93.

So I guess my answer will be all of them except for Bleeding Edge. We will see how it goes.

I think your expectations are much higher and I find it really hard to see Crackdown 3 getting 80+. I predict low 70s but higher than SoT and State of Decay 2.

Deleted member 41104

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Mar 15, 2018
Outside of playgroud's Forza, i think this is impossible for any microsoft first party to hit 90+.

You have a strange definition of the word « impossible ». The first Ori sits just below the 90% mark. It's not even that hard to imagine the sequel could have a chance to hit 90.

As for the other games, there's definitely no guarantee they can hit those kind of scores, but if 343i revamps the Halo franchise, it definitely could hit a 90 metascore game like most of the previous ones. Not by any means « impossible ».

Aswitch

Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
My Money is on Gears 5. Still playing gears 4 to this day so i only think the series can go up at this point considering what the studio learned what may have not worked so much with 4. Love all the post release support(patches mainly) its gotten to this day. Also I think Ori will(for conversation's sake) miss the mark by getting 85-88 range.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Crackdown 3 looks like a complete disaster. No way will it get in the 80s. 60s maybe.

Deleted member 268

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ori seems like a safe bet.

I think Gears 5 is looking very promising too, and Ninja Theory have been working on their upcoming project for quite a long time so they're not a bad shout.

Prine

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Really appreciate the work and artistry you put into these games, thank you Thomas, truly.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Can only vote Ori, due to having less belief in the other teams listed.

They all probably end up in the 80s though.

I'mma add my own option and bet the farm on Obsidian.

GazRB

Oct 25, 2017
Halo Infinite baby. It's going to change the industry.

Maybe. Probably not. I don't really trust 343

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
I can't remember the last time an Xbox exclusive broke a 90 on Metacritic that wasn't Forza Horizon.

- Forza Horizon 5: that series is on the up-and-up, but what particular kind of fresh can they bring for the XB2 launch?
- Ori 2: that is going to be visually spectacular but probably an 88-89. It's a maybe.
- Gears 5: another mid-80s outing. will be given more props for its narrative this time around.
- Ninja Theory: the studio has never made a 90+, even as a AAA studio back in the day. I don't think they are that capable.
- Halo Infinite: given the recent history of Halo and 343i, it's not looking likely.

It's most likely to be Forza Horizon again though.

Andvari

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Ori has the best chance, the 1st game was special.

Halo and Gears have really lost their magic... I remember Halo being a massive deal when a new game was released worldwide, Now it's just another game series.

Oct 25, 2017

Ori and the Blind Forest is already 90+ game for me and i can't wait for Will of the Wisps.
Thank you so much for the amazing game. And hope everyone enjoy Will of the Wisps.
Take all the time you need.