• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which would you more likely tolerate?

• A good game interrupted by a boring, intrusive story

Votes: 595 74.2%
  • A good story interrupted by boring, intrusive gameplay

Votes: 206 25.7%

• Total voters

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
Depends on the games.

But i'd say i'll probably be more engaged by a good story overall. Like, would the story and characters had been shit, i'd probably never have finished any Naughty Dog games (i utterly hate playing shooting games with a gamepad, it's just a hassle).

fulltimepanda

Oct 28, 2017
Either or really.

If it's a good game with a bad story I'll skip all the cutscenes

If it's a bad game with a good story I'll probably download a trainer to break the game.

Good game with bad story is so much more common however.

Palette Swap

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Good game. I'm okay with skipping a shit story as long as I'm having fun with the moment to moment gameplay.

A story with gameplay I hate won't work, that's RDR2 for me.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
If the gameplay is shite I can just watch the good story on Youtube, doesn't work the other way around, so... ;)

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
If a story is boring then I can just entertain myself with my phone/laptop while having the game on in the background. Alternatively, often spam 'A' or 'Skip Cutscene'. Can't skip painfully boring gameplay though.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Nioh 2 is a perfect example of good gameplay with a totally forgettable story. Likewise most Souls games don't have an interesting main story but all the lore surrounding it makes up for it.

Gameplay trumps stories by far.

Ramsay

Jul 2, 2019
Australia
Something to note here is that the OP mentioned a story that is actively bad, and is highly intrusive - so games that are light on story such as Pokemon/Mario/Zelda don't count, whereas stuff such as Fire Emblem: Fates or any other shitty JRPG do.

FaffEra

Chicken Chaser
Nov 8, 2017
UK
Good game with boring story would be the answer if we look at this scenario in isolation.
Realistically a game with a good story and bad gameplay can just be consumed through YouTube with full cutscenes being available usually only a couple of days after release, making it much easier to tolerate.
Take for example the legacy of kain series - great story, boring and terrible gameplay that only gets in the way of the story, so you just watch a 6 hour cutscenes compilation :P

roguebubble

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Aug 8, 2018
Depends on how long the game is. <10hrs I'll take good story, for a >20hrs I want good gameplay and it can go either way for 10-20hrs games.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't stomach playing through Xenogears despite loving the story so...

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's also important to mention that gameplay can still have narrative value. I didn't care at all about the story Ninja Gaiden 2's cutscenes presented, but overcoming some of the tougher areas was a gripping emotional journey by itself (Fuck you Spider Ninjas.)

I imagine that most players who favor gameplay still value story, but more in the vein of salvaging a ruined mission in X-Com or finally overcoming a boss that was giving you hell in Dark Souls rather than in an authored story being told at them.

Firebricks

Jan 27, 2018
Yakuza Kiwami is one of the few games I wish I could skip the gameplay on, but disable skipping cutscenes lol.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If you're asking if I'd rather have a good game, or a bad game, I'd rather have a good game. I can skip over bad cutscenes and so forth, but you generally don't get to skip past bad gameplay.

Right

Nov 24, 2017
I enjoy games with great gameplay, regardless of the quality of their stories (cough kojima cough)

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
It depends on how boring and intrusive it is.

I played through all the Danganronpa games, and the gameplay in that series is so bad that it's a meme.

Most games that have good gameplay but bad stories leave plenty of options to skip the story, so they are less intrusive. Doom Eternal is a good example of this. If a game with good gameplay had lots of shitty unskippable story bits, I might not tolerate it, but I can't think of a game off the top of my head that did that.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I feel like I've pushed through many good games with bad stories since beginning to take an interest in video games, so almost a lifetime of the habit.

I stopped both RDR2 and Nier Automata despite loving their storytelling because I found them both uninteresting to play. I also feel like I've pushed through several story driven experiences (such as Telltale games or "walking simulators") but at a much lesser rate than games that had good gameplay and poor or unengaging stories.

Deleted member 91227

Feb 4, 2021
Can't vote as I'm not sure I have a strong preference between the two. Story is a HUGE draw to games for me, so I can put up with some boring/medicore gameplay for a good story.

But of course I'd also play a fun game with a boring story.

So both are fine by me, but obviously pale in comparison to games where I love both the gameplay and story.

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
I said the second one since I'm able to tolerate "boring" gameplay as long as I care about what's going on in the story but a boring story is going to take me out of it really fast.

Jul 1, 2020
I've played both types of those games and I find that I will play a bad game either way if there is something that grabs me.

Jun 13, 2020
Dragenkard is supposed to have a good (?) story, but I couldn't force myself through it. On the other hand, something like Freedom Wars has straight up insulting writing and it's as obtrusive as it can get, but I did manage to power through it. In the end I think it depends on how long the game is. I can suffer through some bad gameplay if the story is good, but it has to be short.

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
Even if the story is good with good gameplay I tend to get tired of waiting on the story parts. Currently I've been playing through Elder Scrolls Online, and it's story is praised, and I can see it being interesting but I just want to unlock stuff ya know?

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
I mean video game stories are almost universally terrible so this is an easy choice. They tend to be trope-fests with little redeeming value outside of the occasionally well executed comedy.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Story tends to be shit in games anyway, as long as the gameplay is good I'll rather that.

Jun 13, 2020
It depends on how boring and intrusive it is.

I played through all the Danganronpa games, and the gameplay in that series is so bad that it's a meme.

Most games that have good gameplay but bad stories leave plenty of options to skip the story, so they are less intrusive. Doom Eternal is a good example of this. If a game with good gameplay had lots of shitty unskippable story bits, I might not tolerate it, but I can't think of a game off the top of my head that did that.
Danganronpa is a visual novel, I don't think it counts. Most of your time is spent reading. Maybe Another Episode fits the definition, but I didn't find the gameplay to be straight up bad in that one neither.

Oct 25, 2017
To all the people saying you can usually just skip cutscenes and such, so you pick "good gameplay, intrusive story": I feel like that reasoning says the OPPOSITE of what you think it does. If the only way you tolerate an intrusive story is if you're given the option to skip it entirely with ease, then it sounds like you don't actually tolerate it at all.

Same thing goes for people that say "good story, intrusive gameplay" because you can watch story online: if you have to EXIT the game and cut out playing it entirely to enjoy the story, well you don't actually tolerate the gameplay at all.

If you find yourself more relieved that you can skip the cutscenes and story sections are quick, then your answer might actually be #2. If you find yourself more relieved that there are playthroughs on YouTube you can watch, then your answer might actually be #1.

Last edited:

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
Disco Elysium almost doesn't have gameplay but watching it would be a waste, as it has hundreds of different dialogue options.

I think it would be pretty easy to argue that the dialogue is the gameplay for DE. DE is the perfect example of why RPGs would be improved if they start considering dialogue as gameplay.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I tend to prioritize story over gameplay, even with games with good gameplay.

For example, I want to experience the story of Hades and I enjoy actually playing the game, but whenever I run out of people to talk to in the hub I'm always like "ugh, time for another run". I get over it quickly, but still. lol

So this is why text-heavy games greatly appeal to me, since the story tends to not be separated from the gameplay in those kinds of games, or at least not as often. The Ace Attorney series is my favorite game series ever, as an example.

Games with bad stories leave an overall worse taste in my mouth, too. To this day I still despise Metroid: Other M and Paper Mario: Sticker Star. I'm much more willing to forgive games with bad gameplay as long as the story was entertaining enough.

Oct 27, 2017
If the story is shit but the game is good and I can somehow ignore or skip the story and play the game, I'd take that over a bad game with an incredible story.
No matter how good your story is, if the game sucks, I'm not gonna hold my interest for more than an hour or two.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I don't have a pattern for this, I played 1hs of Control twice and couldn't bare the dialogues and storytelling. I can't say if it plays good or bad, seemed fine.

Loved RDR 2 even if I disliked the mechanics most of the time.

I guess I can tolerate bad gameplay more than bad/uninteresting story.

IMCaprica

Aug 1, 2019
If I really don't like the gameplay I'm quitting the game. Otherwise I can put up with stories I don't like.

spunodi

Oct 27, 2017
The Final Fantasy series has had entries on both sides of this and still, ss a whole, I love it. I suppose the whole being greater than the sum of it's parts applies.

Oct 31, 2017
For genres I don't like, I will only play for the story.

I don't play FPS games but just beat Titanfall 2 campaign.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Quick question: Can anyone describe to me what an "intrusive story" is all about? I have never heard of this type of story being described like so, and thus it is hard for me to imagine what kind of story a game would have.

jblanco

Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the length of the game.

I can deal with a great story but intrusive gameplay if the game is short.

But generally speaking, as much as I love RPGs and story oriented games... gameplay does triumph over story (in this case at least).

DanielG123

Jul 14, 2020
I dunno, honestly. Questions like these always get the same answer from me: it depends on the game. Ninja Gaiden 2 and Razor's Edge have bad stories, but the gameplay of both keeps me hooked. RDR2 can have pretty tedious gameplay at times, yet the story is able to maintain my attention and keep me moving forward. Visual novels or point-and-click games are the very definition of "dull gameplay", but if the stories are good, then at least for me, I can stay with them through until the end. It's simply a game-by-game basis for me.