• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which game will you play first in Super Mario 3D All-Stars?

• Super Mario 64

Votes: 298 51.5%
  • Super Mario Sunshine

Votes: 151 26.1%
  • Super Mario Galaxy

Votes: 130 22.5%

• Total voters

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Simple thread from a simple dude. I cherish all three, so I honestly don't know where to start. :-o

The adorable baby penguin calls to me from Mario 64's Cool Cool Mountain, with the icy slide nearby, beckoning to my butt...

...but so do the rooftops of Sunshine's Delfino Plaza -- I still hear the pitter-patter of running across their shingles 18 years later.

And then there's Galaxy, always epic - running up the towering Megaleg, slinging into Tarantox, scurrying around a tiny moon with Bowser in hot pursuit...

Ahhh, where to start!

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be playing with my 4 year old son, so I think that Galaxy will be the most fun for him to watch. Definitely going to start with that. If it were just me, I'd be playing Sunshine first since I haven't played it at all since the GameCube days.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Sunshine since it's my favorite Mario game and I've been waiting since the Wii U to get an HD version

Nights

Oct 27, 2017
I'll probably start with Sunshine since its the one I feel least fond of and have played the least because of it. Then 64 and Galaxy.

fiendcode

Oct 26, 2017
Sunshine. It's the worst game between them and also the one it's been longest since I played.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
Galaxy is the only one I actually like enough to replay, which is why I'm probably not going to shell out $60 for the collection. I hope they end up selling them individually after the limited release is over with, but I'm not holding my breath.

Waxy

Oct 27, 2017
Been having an urge to play Mario 64 a lot recently so will start with that and then just play them in release order. Haven't touched Sunshine in like 15 years so will be interesting to see how that is these days after.

Tyrant Rave

Has A Pretty Cool Jacket
Oct 25, 2017
Mario 64. One of my all time favorites, and kind of like comfort food to me now. I buy it every time it gets re-released. So I'm weirdly excited since I haven't played it since the Wii U VC release now.

Galaxy is very tempting too. I'll probably alternate between them honestly.

I am looking forward to revisiting Sunshine as well. But it is my least favorite of the three so it can wait a little.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
64 or Sunshine. I can beat Mario 64 with my eyes closed at this point so I might run through it real quick. I haven't played Sunshine since 2003, so I'm looking forward to that one the most.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I am undecided between Sunshine and Galaxy, since I never played any of them, while I played Super Mario 64 (DS).
I suppose playing Sunshine first would be the best option, since Galaxy will be a better experience, but at the same time I am really looking to experience Galaxy. So it will be a difficult decision.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly?...

Maybe Sunshine. 64, I've never beaten that one as I didn't have the original so I'll go to that next. Galaxy is the best of the bunch IMO so I'll save it for the last.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
That's the big question

Still, I think I'll go in chronological order. Will be fun to see the improvements over the years.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Sunshine first since it's my favorite, Galaxy second it's the one I've played the least amount of times, and then 64 because I've already recently played it on my Wii

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Should be Sunshine since it's the only of the three I've never beaten (only 3D Mario I've never seen the ending of, really - and of the rest Odyssey is the only one I never 100% completed), but if I'm just being honest with myself, I'll play 64 first and Galaxy second.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Going in order. Still remember all three pretty well so shouldn't take long to finish them 100%. Besides those sodding Blue Coins at least

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
I think I'll try the first hour of each game and then go from there depending on how I feel.

Soap

Oct 27, 2017
In order, but probably not to 100% completion. I think will dip back and forth to each after the main story is completed.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
Why wouldn't you play them in canonical order, in order to appreciate the plot of the Mario series?

Lyndis Lorca

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't replayed Galaxy since I beat it back in 2007, so I'll be playing that first. Looking forward to the Rosalina side story events, I remember really enjoying those.

Brodo Baggins

Oct 27, 2017
I never played Sunshine so going to start with that one, but Galaxy is one of my favorite games of all time, so I'll probably play a bit of both.

MayorTortimer

May 27, 2018
Im definitely going to start with Sunshine and then maybe Galaxy after that. I have played Sunshine the least and I'm excited to (hopefully) beat it!

Malcolm9

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Sunshine for me, I last played it when it first came out on the Gamecube.

It's been a while!

Apr 21, 2018
I'm going to probably play SM64 first, but I'll play all 3 at the same time.

I don't have the disciple to finish one before starting the next one.

Croash

Oct 27, 2017
Never played any of them, so definitely release order and then I'll start Odyssey. It's going to be a journey through generations.

Mar 19, 2020
Super Mario 64 is basically the only game I go back and replay as comfort food, so I'll probably start there. I haven't played Galaxy, so that's what I really want to get to. I'm ambivalent towards Sunshine, but I'll probably kick the tires on it someday.

Oct 25, 2017
Galaxy easily. Don't have a huge interest in even replaying the other two. It's basically Galaxy for $60 in my case. No Galaxy 2 is a bummer.

Nayishiki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Super Mario Sunshine because it has been 15 years since I played it. 64 and Galaxy I played recently so they can wait.

valinthyne

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I will probably boot them up in order and get a star/shine in each to see how they look and feel. And then go through and try to/come close to 100% them in order, but I will probably move on to the next very late in each game.