• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which will be 2020's Most Notorious Event?

• Halo Infinite's Graphics Controversey and Resulting Delay - Craig May Cry

Votes: 26 2.9%
  • Cyberpunk 2020 - Refunds a Go-Go!

Votes: 754 84.5%
  • Playstation 5 and Xbox Series Shortages - The Bots Won

Votes: 46 5.2%
  • Nintendo Smashes Smash - #FreeMelee? Not on My Watch!

Votes: 3 0.3%
  • Twitch Moderation - Because Banning Words Will Make the World a Better Place

Votes: 4 0.4%
  • Other - Specify

Votes: 9 1.0%
  • Ubisoft Sexual Misconduct - Disgusting at All Levels

Votes: 50 5.6%

• Total voters

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Just a week ago, I would've said the shortages of next gen consoles. But they'll reach greater market availability hopefully by mid-2021 and this will fade from memory.

But I think the poor state of Cyberpunk 2020's launch will haunt CDProjekt for years to come, and even prompt greater discussions about crunch culture in the gaming world at large.

NOTE: Shoot! I forgot about the graphics card shortages. Roll that into the PS5 and XBox Series shortage option.

Oct 27, 2017
Cyberpunk easily.

The biggest game of the decade hype-wise and a complete and utter fuck-up of a launch and total destruction of goodwill from the industry. Would have been perhaps the best selling title of the generation if they had done things properly but *poof*

TinTuba47

Nov 14, 2017
Definitely cyberpunk. It's crazy how it was the most anticipated game of the year and then lead to unprecedented shit like this occurring

adj_noun

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Remember King Kong falling from the Empire State building?

That's Cyberpunk right now.

Couleurs

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
I don't think we've ever seen something like a massively hyped AAA title (or maybe any game) being so fucked up that it is essentially recalled against the company's will after launch

(I say essentially since CDPR pulled it's stunt trying to get people to have Sony refund them, knowing they wouldn't; before Sony/Best Buy/others start accepting refunds of games against their normal policies)

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving company, though.

Last edited:

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
As much as I like Cyberpunk the entire thing surrounding it is a shitshow They really should have delayed the game again

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Cyberpunk's launch is historically bad. This is gonna be talked about forever.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
I don't believe there's ever been an AAA game where calls for refunds were this universal alongside the game being delisted.

Tremorah

Dec 3, 2018
Its Cyberpunk, and CDPR deserve every bit of flak coming their way with how they handled releasing the game

OP
OP
TitlePending

TitlePending

The Fallen
Dec 26, 2018
Cyberpunk 2020's Year in Review.

tenor.gif

Roytheone

Oct 25, 2017
cyberpunk, and it will let ubisoft put up a smoke screen for their sexual harassment scandals and that sucks.

Empyrean Cocytus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Upstate NY
Absolutely Cyberpunk, this was a broken game that the company decided to release and have been rightfully dragged for it.

Combine that with CDPR's transphobia, and they just went to the top of the shitlist for a lot of people.

All the other areas can be understood in part by COVID and outside of the publishers hands, or in the case of #FreeMelee just Nintendo being Nintendo and hyperfocused on their IPs. There is no excuse for Cyberpunk, and we could all see it coming a mile away.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017
How does the Smash community going through mass accusations of sexual assault not even rate?

Or Ubisoft completely changing its leadership behind reports of abuse and poor management?

Soiks

Oct 27, 2017
Cyberpunk by some distance. An incredible shitstorm of broken promises, bad PR, developers being crunched all ending with a game so buggy and broken that it ended up being recalled.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
This seems kind of pointless because Cyberpunk is the clear choice here. Nothing else comes close.

est1992

Oct 27, 2017
Cyberpunk without a doubt. The most highly anticipated game of the generation ending up being received this poorly? No doubt.

We always remember the bad more than the good when it comes to these things.

Deleted member 21709

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Cyberpunk for me, although Halo slipping through the cracks and being shown in the state that it was comes second.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
It's obviously Cyberpunk.

Though for the Nintendo option, pulling the Mario games for no reason is a much bigger deal than #freemelee.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does it even need to be asked OP? Come on. Cyberpunk obviously

Ambient

Dec 23, 2017
The Halo Infinite saga feels like a longer drama that might effect Xbox's sales early on this generation. I am seeing merchandise, promotional deals with snack foods and energy drinks at every store I shop at and just think that they really did not expect this delay at all.

psionotic

May 29, 2019
Microsoft looked a little silly when it happened, but now looking like heroes for delaying what was to be their flagship console launch title until it's ready.

2077 is 2020's biggest disaster by far.

DJwest

Oct 26, 2017
You should have said in the thread title CRPR/Cyberpunk excluded. Way to kill interest and discourse in your own thread OP

Roliq

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Sep 23, 2018
FreeMelee literally died (in relevance) when Sephiroth was announced and any internet outrage went to TLoU 2 winning and Cyberpunk 2077 being a trashfire

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
The Twitch moderation is bad, but I think all the Twitch DMCA and music copyright claims bullshit are a much bigger blunder that will have a far larger effect, no?

And what about Epic recruiting an online child army to support the billionaire lawsuit they turned into a marketing event?

I'm also guessing we're excluding the countless companies exposed for sexual abuse, or the popular voice actors that come out as bigots every other week? Or the nonstop crunch cases?

I mean, it's the gaming industry here. There's so much absolute shit to pick from.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Halo Infinite's response will be insignificant in the long run because the game was delayed and will almost certainly not look like that when it eventually comes out. The shortages of the new tech is mostly pretty normal, the Smash thing isn't even big (I am a casual Smash fan and I don't even know about that story), the Twitch thing is irrelevant as well.

The Cyberpunk thing on the other hand is pretty huge being that it was easily going to be this year's big commercial success even if it was mediocre as long as it worked, which it didn't. And then the game was so broken that it is even being delisted for sale by Sony and will potentially lead to a revamp in the whole digital refund system on Xbox and Playstation as well.

Cyberpunk isn't just the biggest gaming story of this year, it has the potential to be a pretty momentous event in general depending on the short term and long term reactions to this game

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cyberpunk just blowing up in flames. Originally I would have said something positive, like Animal Crossing hijacking the consciousness of the public for a few weeks, but man, Cyberpunk has single-handedly destroyed any goodwill CD Projekt built up over the years. They have become the image they've tried to say doesn't apply to them but "the big players."

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
My head says the PS5/XSX bot preorders, but my heart says Cyberpunk. It's going to take a long, long time for CDPR to overcome this.

NazoNazoXLR

Dec 20, 2019
Twitch and console launches being stupid are nothing out of the ordinary. I think that only people with pattern recognition problems thought Halo was going to come out and be a hit this year. And Nintendo putting their boot to the neck of fan communities trying to get their own thing running is also not anything resembling a surprise.

But CDPR was coming off the success of Witcher 3, their magnum opus, the total sum of their efforts as a sottware company which received a wide round of accolades and arguably stole the AAA RPG crown last gen after Bethesda and Bioware started cranking out bland corporate slurry.

And then...

They botched it!

Deleted member 63122

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 16, 2020
It's Cyberpunk. The others no one cares. The only one that could have match Cyberpunk was Halo and they did the right thing delaying it.