• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which version did you prefer?

• Oracle of Seasons

Votes: 281 56.0%
  • Oracle of Ages

Votes: 221 44.0%

• Total voters
OP
OP
Orange Piccolo
Feb 1, 2018
Texas
been playing oracle of seasons for the first time on my analogue pocket(never played either game) and man, i gotta say, i am having a BLAST
without even having played ages yet, these both totally deserve the link's awakening treatment
Thanks for the thread bump. Forgot about this one.

And yeah, I think most Zelda fans would love for these games to get the LA treatment.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I say Seasons because it was the one I owned.

I found the idea of changing seasons really charming so that's why I bought it, so there's that.

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Hard to say, I like the gameplay of Ages more because it is more puzzly, but I like the structure and the atmosphere of Seasons more. Both are great games though. Since gameplay is prime, I will vote for Ages, but it is pretty tight.

And yeah, I think most Zelda fans would love for these games to get the LA treatment.
I love both and would hate if they got remade. Make a new game with the LA engine instead.

L Thammy

Spacenoid
Oct 25, 2017
I forget which was which but I think I liked the puzzle focused one more?

Also I legitimately can't remember how I played these. Were they part of the 3DS Ambassador games?

Toxel

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 26, 2022
Having played both, i'm gonna say that seasons is the better and also more memorable game. Both really awesome games.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
It is a clear split, du you prefere the puzzle elements more or the action adventuring.

Ages uses its gimick (time) way better, has more puzzle oriented dungeons, the map is harder to navigate / more twisted.

Seasons felt closer to Zelda 1 / LTTP, while Ages is closer to minish cap.

LA is probably the middle ground for me.

but its so long, that i could be off somewhat, and that LA is more straight forward then seasons.

For the longest time i would have sad Ages, but after minish cap and Skyward Sword, i just want an overworld thats easy to traverse. Or lets say: less strict and limiting. the dungeons can be mind twisting mazes, all for that. but keep that out of the overworld.

Dungeons of Ages in the world of Seasons would probably be my take =P

I forget which was which but I think I liked the puzzle focused one more?

Also I legitimately can't remember how I played these. Were they part of the 3DS Ambassador games?
GBC and 3DS VC. Thats it i think.

I love both and would hate if they got remade. Make a new game with the LA engine instead.

Same

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Hard to say, I like the gameplay of Ages more because it is more puzzly, but I like the structure and the atmosphere of Seasons more. Both are great games though. Since gameplay is prime, I will vote for Ages, but it is pretty tight.

As much as I'd love a new topdown Zelda already, I would actually be happy with a Oracles remake because of how much item swapping there was in these games. Having more buttons would make them better by default, + there could be a system where you don't need complex passwords for the linked secrets.
And everytime I see tha character artwork I wish the sprites were in higher fidelity, because they really had to simplify them:

View: https://twitter.com/vgartandtidbits/status/971345445673930752

But I'm only making the exception for Oracles. Minish Cap has the best art of all 2D zelda so it doesn't need a remake, just a re-release.

Karateka

Oct 28, 2017
I had ages and my brother seasons
I played both and always found ages more fun.
But I lost both of them wish I had them still.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
I remember going to Funco Land and my little brother getting Seasons while I got Ages. It was probably just because he always liked red versions and I always liked blue. Even though I am biased towards Ages, when I visited the games a few years back on the 3DS eShop I liked Seasons better. I think changing seasons is just a more interesting conceit to me than time travel which had already been a mechanic in like 3 Zelda games at that point (when there were only 6 games!).

Here's hoping we get some Grezzo remakes of these soon!!

Zekes

Oct 25, 2017
I always preferred Seasons. I remember liking the items more. While the puzzles weren't as good as Ages, it was just more fun to play. Ages can be a bit of a chore to explore and move around the overworld since you're swapping items constantly and redoing puzzles.

But yeah, I hope both get a Link's Awakening-like remake

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
Have Seasons on the GBC, and I bought both for 3DS.

Still haven't finished them...

Ready for the Seasons/Ages remake for Switch!

But for nostalgia sake I like Seasons more, since it was my first.

Jan 29, 2018
I never finished either. I think I beat 7 out of 8 dungeons in each. Fuck all of the platform with that flying bear.

They're fine games I guess.

Toad King

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
11 year old me could only get one so he chose Seasons because there are four seasons and only a past + present in Ages, and 4 > 2.

jefklak

May 8, 2019
Is there anyone who thinks those two are better than Link's Awakening?
I only have one (Seasons) and didn't play it yet so I guess I'll refrain from voting.

Farlander

Game Designer
Verified
Sep 29, 2021
The action/puzzle split sort of played a cruel joke on one game and was a blessing for another.

Seasons is a heavily combat-focused game with systems that are not designed for deep skill-based combat, as a result it is fun but... nothing exceptional. Season changing is interesting for exploration but overall both exploration and puzzle aspects are sort of toned down because of focus on combat which never was the strength of 2D Zeldas anyway (LttP was exceptional because of its healthy mix and how in combat you tried to find creative use of items, again it wasn't just about fight systems which were pretty basic taken on their own, but that is not where enjoyment came from)

Ages due to its focus on puzzles became one of the best (and most underappreciated) Zelda games ever because you can't have JUST puzzles, you need to have combat and exploration too and those in Ages became REALLY interesting due to attempts to vary the opponents up through "action puzzle" and environments through "exploration puzzle" approaches, so the game became just packed with interesting content.

Last edited:

Applepieman

Nov 5, 2017
Oracle of Seasons is fantastic. Oracle of Ages has one of the worst dungeons in all of Zelda history, in my opinion.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
I remember going to Funco Land and my little brother getting Seasons while I got Ages. It was probably just because he always liked red versions and I always liked blue. Even though I am biased towards Ages, when I visited the games a few years back on the 3DS eShop I liked Seasons better. I think changing seasons is just a more interesting conceit to me than time travel which had already been a mechanic in like 3 Zelda games at that point (when there were only 6 games!).

Here's hoping we get some Grezzo remakes of these soon!!
Trying to figer that out... Zelda 1, 2, LttP, LA, OoT (*), MM (*) ... i count 2.
If you add the 2, then its 7 games with 3 times a time gimick.

I get it, but i would say the gimick was used way differently in OoT, MM and OoA.
Ages and OoT are comparable, but is was way more inpactfull in a gameplay sense in Ages.

I also found, even if i prefere the Seasons concept, that they used the ages concept with more depth, while Seasons was mostly blocking your way, in Ages you had to think how which NPC from the past influences the present.

Is there anyone who thinks those two are better than Link's Awakening?
I only have one (Seasons) and didn't play it yet so I guess I'll refrain from voting.
Hm... depends on what you want from your Zelda games.

Both games have "more". More items, gimicks, NPCs, and with the shared content when you play them one after another also more connections to mainstream zelda stories.

I would argue, if youre there for the gameplay, the 2 games are probably better.
If you are more for whimsy, or for a more straight forward adventure, LA.
OST goes hands down to LA in my opinion, but the 2 reuse music (obviously), but also bring their own flair to it.
Graphics are better then LA. Especially Seasons with its swapping color pallets.

So: better action gameplay and visuals Seasons
Better dungeons / puzzles: Ages
Best balance: LA

roguesquirrel

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I really loved the puzzle focus & atmosphere of Ages. Seasons' action focus made the game feel a little too streamlined in comparison for my tastes at the time, but it probably lends itself better for quick burst handheld play because of it. Both are fun & deserve the LA remake treatment

Typographenia

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I only owned Seasons because I liked the look of the characters and the idea of changing seasons more when previews were being written.

Seasons was nice and I enjoyed it but remember feeling like everyone that had Ages seemed so much more excited and passionate about the game.

krs

Oct 25, 2017
I actually never played either. It's my LoZ blind spot. Which one would be best to start with? Seems people are quite divided on the best one overall.

El Crono

Oct 27, 2017
Mexico
The one that's more puzzle-oriented. I think it's Ages? It's been a while since I played them and I often get them confused.

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Trying to figer that out... Zelda 1, 2, LttP, LA, OoT (*), MM (*) ... i count 2.
If you add the 2, then its 7 games with 3 times a time gimick.

I get it, but i would say the gimick was used way differently in OoT, MM and OoA.
Ages and OoT are comparable, but is was way more inpactfull in a gameplay sense in Ages.

I also found, even if i prefere the Seasons concept, that they used the ages concept with more depth, while Seasons was mostly blocking your way, in Ages you had to think how which NPC from the past influences the present.

Hm... depends on what you want from your Zelda games.

Both games have "more". More items, gimicks, NPCs, and with the shared content when you play them one after another also more connections to mainstream zelda stories.

I would argue, if youre there for the gameplay, the 2 games are probably better.
If you are more for whimsy, or for a more straight forward adventure, LA.
OST goes hands down to LA in my opinion, but the 2 reuse music (obviously), but also bring their own flair to it.
Graphics are better then LA. Especially Seasons with its swapping color pallets.

So: better action gameplay and visuals Seasons
Better dungeons / puzzles: Ages
Best balance: LA

I consider LTTP to have a time gimmick, too

Mar 11, 2020
Better question, which is the best order to play them in as there are slight changes depending on which is 2nd?

My opinion is Seasons then Ages last.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
I actually never played either. It's my LoZ blind spot. Which one would be best to start with? Seems people are quite divided on the best one overall.
Honestly, it doesn't matter very much at all.

I will say this, though:

If you play, for example, Seasons first, then you will get a password from that game to play Ages 2nd quest (which is Ages + a few really cool extra things, including a new ending).

After you beat that, you will unlock Ages ∆ which is Ages 1st quest, but you start off with an extra heart container. Then you can use the password from that playthrough to play Seasons ∆ 2nd Quest.

And then finally, you get an actual "the end" screen, lol.

Of course, if you started with Ages first, everything would be the opposite.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018

I will say this, though:

If you play, for example, Seasons first, then you will get a password from that game to play Ages 2nd quest (which is Ages + a few really cool extra things, including a new ending).

After you beat that, you will unlock Ages ∆ which is Ages 1st quest, but you start off with an extra heart container. Then you can use the password from that playthrough to play Seasons ∆ 2nd Quest.

Sounds like you need to play it 4 times, but you actually only need to play one and then the other, for the actual ending, istnt it that way?
Or does the second second quest actually has its own ending? i did never hear about that.

Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Sounds like you need to play it 4 times, but you actually only need to play one and then the other, for the actual ending, istnt it that way?
Or does the second second quest actually has its own ending? i did never hear about that.
Each game's second quest has the exact same ending (you defeat Twinrova and Ganon) though IIRC they have different additional content in the middle of the games. E.g. the Donkey Kong thing is in Oracle of Ages 2nd quest only. So if you really wanted to see everything the games have to offer, then I'd consider playing through the 3rd and 4th ∆ games (which are called the "Hero's quest").

Apparently it's also the only way to get every ring in one save file, too, since each game's second quest has an exclusive ring.

Aether

Jan 6, 2018
Each game's second quest has the exact same ending (you defeat Twinrova and Ganon) though IIRC they have different additional content in the middle of the games. E.g. the Donkey Kong thing is in Oracle of Ages 2nd quest only. So if you really wanted to see everything the games have to offer, then I'd consider playing through the 3rd and 4th ∆ games (which are called the "Hero's quest").

Apparently it's also the only way to get every ring in one save file, too, since each game's second quest has an exclusive ring.
Ah, okay. So the actuall endign is only locked behind playing those 2 games one after another, but the neat side stuff is slightly hidden behind replays to have something for people that do replay them in hero mode.

Im fine with that.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
I had Ages as a kid, so I'm biased towards it. I do legitimately like the dungeons more, but the seasons mechanic is twice as interesting as the ages one.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Which one is it that makes you play that terrible Goron dancing minigame? That's the worse one of the pair

trashbandit

Dec 19, 2019
I've only played Seasons, however I've listened to both OSTs and Seasons absolutely trounces Ages in that respect.

krs

Oct 25, 2017

I will say this, though:

I had Ages as a kid, so I'm biased towards it. I do legitimately like the dungeons more, but the seasons mechanic is twice as interesting as the ages one.

Hmm, might start with Ages first then if the mechanics are more interesting, as to not get too bored with the second game I play. But not sure I'm dedicated enough to get the true™ ending haha.

ramenline

Jan 9, 2019
I ended up liking Ages more for the puzzles + animal mounts.

But Seasons is the one I played as a kid, so that's where all the nostalgia lies for me when it comes to these two games.

Total Cereal

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm, might start with Ages first then if the mechanics are more interesting, as to not get too bored with the second game I play. But not sure I'm dedicated enough to get the true™ ending haha.
What I mean is, in both Season and Ages you have the ability to manipulate the overworld by changing either the season or time period. In Seasons, you have the 4 seasons to cycle trhough whereas in Ages you just have 2 time periods (present and 400 years in the past). The time mecahnic is cool because you get to see the effects of time on the world which is arguably more interesting, but it's still only 2 ways to manipulate the world vs 4.

My reccomendation is to play Seasons first then Ages as the 2nd quest. It makes the better game (IMO) of the two even better.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing Ages and I hate it so much. That Goron section made me seriously doubt whether I can ever play another game in this style. The island with the item exchange was cute at first, but it went on for too long for my tastes.

I'm only halfway through, but I feel like I've already seen all its ideas. There's almost no exploration to be done, and the time travel mechanic is mostly just an annoyance with how frequently you're going back and forth. On top of that, the heckin melody and transition are too damn long! I never appreciated how good it was in ALTTP that the mirror is practically instant. The frequency of trading sequences combined with the time travel is a real problem. It's a major slog having to go back and forth. Once, fine. Twice, hmmm. Third time, end me. Fourth time, let the tower be built.

I don't want to sound too dismissive with the following, but I can see it being true for me: maybe if I came to Ages as a kid and spent a whole summer vacation playing it, all the time wasting wouldn't be as apparent and I'd have loved it.

I haven't played it (yet), but if Seasons cuts all that nonsense in favor of more combat or whatever, it's the better game.

Last edited:

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
I eventually bought both but never played either one.