• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which was worse

• Ultimate Marvel

Votes: 102 29.4%
  • New 52

Votes: 245 70.6%

• Total voters

DragonSJG

Banned
Mar 4, 2019
The_Official_Handbook_of_the_Ultimate_Marvel_Universe.jpg

816INz3RqPS.jpg

Both of these were attempts to draw in new audiences by modernizing classic superheroes and the results were.....well......well.....
So between the two of them, which universe is worse and why?

Pluto

Oct 25, 2017
The New 52 was worse because it was an unnecessary reboot that got rid of the previous version (except when it didn't)

The Ultimate Universe was a separate thing from the start, it was an alternative, not a replacement. People who didn't like it could just ignore it and still got their regular 616 fix, that wasn't an option with the new 52.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimate had some really bad stuff, but yeah, it was "extra". New 52 was all DC had for a while, and it took me out of DC comics till today

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I never read Ultimate Marvel, but some of the lows I've heard seem worse than the lows of New52. New52 certainly had issues but also had some solid stories and interesting relaunches (loved the Animal Man/Swamp Thing stuff, stuff like Demon Knights was super fun, and Justice League Dark had a great premise but kind of an awful reality). The worst thing about New52 was that certain characters were knocked away from what made them work and it took way too long to get them back to normal. It also sucked losing Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain but I absolutely adored them getting back in Batman Eternal so at least they were brought back with a bang.

Bladelaw

Oct 25, 2017
I voted Ultimate Marvel because unlike most I enjoyed a lot of New 52. If you were digging what DC was doing up until Flashpoint I could see the backlash but I was just happy to read some new comics. Batgirl, Secret Six, and Justice League Dark were great fun.

Roxas

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Buenos Aires, Argentina
If we remove the bit where ultimate didn't replace things, then I'd say that was worse, since for every Spiderman they had a bunch of weird crap. On the other hand new52 had for me at least a bigger amount of cooler stuff, like Batwoman, Batgirl, Aquaman (the begining at least)

Emperor_El

Oct 29, 2017
I don't think there was anything in the New 52 that was as bad as Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum but it was still way worse as a whole.

Oct 27, 2017
I never read Ultimate Marvel, but some of the lows I've heard seem worse than the lows of New52. New52 certainly had issues but also had some solid stories and interesting relaunches (loved the Animal Man/Swamp Thing stuff, stuff like Demon Knights was super fun, and Justice League Dark had a great premise but kind of an awful reality). The worst thing about New52 was that certain characters were knocked away from what made them work and it took way too long to get them back to normal. It also sucked losing Stephanie Brown and Cassandra Cain but I absolutely adored them getting back in Batman Eternal so at least they were brought back with a bang.
Agreed here, particularly with this version of Swamp Thing. New52 was pretty good, especially if you gravitated outside of Superman books.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Only speaking for myself but New 52 got me back into reading comics and I enjoyed the initial creative runs on Batman (Court of Owls and Death of the Family), Wonder Woman (Greek pantheon family drama), Swamp Thing and Animal Man (Rotworld was so cool). Batman & Robin had a really solid opening for me too, and I think I even liked it the most until about issue 15 or 16. I felt like Batman had genuinely good father dynamics going on to start.

Ultimate Spider-Man was the only thing that held my interest at all from Ultimate. The tone of Ultimate generally was rather unpleasant for me and I personally never got super into the general vibe of the creative voices of that era (Mark Millar in particular). For New 52, the larger crossover storylines were seemingly a big mess and figuring out what was and wasn't still relevant from pre-New 52 was not clear enough but I think the books that I chose to engage with were telling quality stories with the lite-reboot context. I ended up continuing to pick up comics until 2016 starting with New 52 debut — admittedly switched exclusively to indie and Marvel (got into Saga, Wicked & Divine, Hickman Avengers and Waid Daredevil) pulls by then but thought the aforementioned starting stories were good.

I went back to quitting comics entirely within a year of Ultimate launch.

Last edited:

AwShucks

Oct 27, 2017
Ultimate Marvel has Ultimate Spider Man which is probably my favorite super hero comic. So New 52.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Agreed here, particularly with this version of Swamp Thing. New52 was pretty good, especially if you gravitated outside of Superman books.

Yeah the Superman stuff was kind of weak, they also never quite figured out Teen Titans. As someone who stayed with weird stuff and Batman a lot of it was pretty fun, going in with the assumption that this was comics and things would go back to normal eventually.

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will always have a soft spot for the new 52 because we finally got a fantastic superman costume that got rid of the dumb red underwear.

Pirateluigi

Oct 27, 2017
New 52 started off strong and got worse the more i read. I mostly ignored Ulitimate Marvel, outside of Spider-Man which was great. I guess 52 is worse then?

Gabaghoul582

Banned
Nov 2, 2021
Say what you will about either of them, but Ultimate Spider-Man is the perfect "modern" interpretation of Spidey.

Outside of Spidey and Batman, I don't have much knowledge of either labels.

alexi52

Oct 28, 2017
Ultimate Marvel had incest Scarlett Witch and Quicksilver, Asshole Cap, and Ultimatum

Nu52 had a whole lot of shitty ideas that eventually got reversed but it's worse due to ruining a lot of old 52 runs and damaging characters with a bunch of shitty redesigns that are still a problem

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
I generally don't mind alternate takes and the highs of Ultimate were very high and the lows were morbidly fascinating to me.

Nu52 is just something I hardly ever think about.

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017
Ultimate had some really bad stuff, but yeah, it was "extra". New 52 was all DC had for a while, and it took me out of DC comics till today

This. I didn't like Ultimate at first but years down the line I binged Ultimate Spider-Man and really enjoyed it.

New 52 killed my interest almost entirely with buying comics weekly. I lasted I think for about a year after the reboot. I went ham at first and bought almost every new issue coming out but it just didn't do it for me. To this day I'm trade only now.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Ultimate Marvel got me into reading Marvel comics. I had variously tried to get into them but like my first foray was like issue 3 of the Spider-man Clone Saga and I was like "what the fuck is this, this is exactly why I don't read comics." Ultimate Marvel came around at the perfect time that I wanted to read something without all the decades of back issues and continuity.

It went to shit but wasn't always shit. I think they should do a side universe like Ultimate Marvel every 20 years or so.

Deleted member 34949

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 30, 2017
I mean Ultimate Marvel had creepy and edgy shit, which is why its worse to me
I didn't like anything in Ultimate outside of USM and a few bits and pieces of UXM. But it wasn't a big deal because I could just hop to 616 to get my Marvel fix. Aquaman and Batman were the only parts of n52 I liked, and I was shit out of luck otherwise because that became the main continuity.

Ultimate had far lower lows, but at least it was a self contained alternate branding. New 52 legitimately killed my interest in comics for a while.

PhoenixAKG

Aug 14, 2019

I love this first meeting of Tim and Steph's first meeting in Batman Eternal:

tumblr_o5a6wpMtSN1sqep2mo7_500.png

tumblr_o5a6wpMtSN1sqep2mo8_500.png

And we did get an awesome Steph moment:

tumblr_opjyzbrIF31so5rceo1_500.png

tumblr_opjyzbrIF31so5rceo2_500.png

But to answer the question it was Ultimate Marvel. Edgelord trash except for Ultimate Spider-Man and made me hate characters like the X-Men, Magneto, Captain America, etc.

Agamon

Aug 1, 2019
Ultimate Spider-Man is one of my favorite full runs of a comic ever. There were years when it was the only comic I bought every month.

FatPuppy

Jun 18, 2018
New 52 straight-up deleted (for a while) almost all legacy characters except Hal Jordan, Barry Allen, Barbara Gordon, and the male Robins. This included minority, LGBT, and characters with disabilities (Many of whom got replaced with their white male predecessors).

Also Barbara Gordon was better as Oracle than she ever was as Batgirl, and they should have just let Stephanie be the Batgirl of Burnside.

Plus their need to always have 52 titles meant there were often half-baked terrible titles just to fill a slot (and conversely, a tiny handful of hidden gems that got snuffed out too early for not meeting sales expectations, only to be replaced by more half-baked crap).

mjc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N52 was way more damaging. Ultimate Universe at least had some fun ideas before it burned itself to the ground.

Oct 8, 2019
Its basically an answer between the one that was actually worse (Ultimate Marvel) vs the one that wiped out the post crisis continuity and then took years to get things back together

Are the comics where Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver commit incest as bad as wiping out Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown.

Ultimate Spider-man was fantastic because it actually took advantage of the whole new Marvel universe to create a new spin on things and not create stupid ideas. Well except for when they killed Gwen Stacy, then brought her back and then Iron Man basically shows up to say "We are not treating this as a clone of Gwen Stacy, we are treating this like Gwen Stacy never died in the first place"

ultimate was worse but new 52 replaced the OG continuity

No it didnt, it rebooted the post crisis continuity which had been in place since the late 80's, Crisis on Infinite Earth was an even bigger reboot in the 80's as that wiped out the multiverse and caused numerous problems in terms of backstory since they decided that Superman was the last Kryptonian.

Read the Death of Superman where your knowledge of Supergirl comes from the Supergirl movie and then this happens

bd3bc16cd37a8ced3297b9f623b5dcef.jpg

Oct 8, 2019
Ultimate by far, so much unnecessary millar

The one thing I actually regret liking in my past is Mark Millar's Ultimates, just so much stupid shit like the massive amounts of post 9/11 jingoism, the incest, the overall way characters are treated like Hank Pym being a massive piece of shit, or Iron Man's alcoholism being treated as a joke.

BearPawB

I'm a fan of the erotic thriller genre
Oct 25, 2017
I really liked a lot of early Ultimate Spider-man but that's all I read

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
For some reason l really love Ultimate Namor's introduction. I never read Ultimate from beginning to end but I've read a few things and generally enjoyed it.

Tace

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
The Rapscallion
Not to mention Ultimate Marvel gave us Samuel L Jackson Nick Fury and it didn't replace the main universe either like others have said

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Ultimate Marvel had its moments... Spidey and some of the earlier stuff especially was pretty good (well, for the most part) and some of the changes to the characters would then be used in the movies/comics. Ultimate Spidey was a good series in its own right, and also gave us Miles Morales, which is at least enough to push that awful Blob/Wasp cannibalism moment from my head... Ultimatum was fucked up...

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Ultimate Marvel was just a relative handful of titles that served as an alternate take on 616. Some of its ideas ended up being used in the MCU (like Sam Jackson as Nick Fury and Hawkeye as a SHIELD Agent) or have already pushed into other mediums like video games and movies (Miles Morales). Outside of Spider-Man, it was absolutely 2000s edgelord, which definitely aged poorly. But you weren't confused as to who was who and what was what.

The New 52 was a complete line-wide reboot (except when it wasn't) and a total mess. There were some good comics (Demon Knights is a personal fave) but a lot of it was a total mess.

Canucked

Comics Council 2020 & Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Not really a fair comparison, because one was a different vision on the side while the other was an actual reboot.

Did New 52 give anything as impactful on Comics as Miles Morales?

sonofsamsonite

The one who likes mustard
Nov 1, 2017
A lot of the pre-Ultimatum Ultimate Marvel was really, really good. Some of it excellent. Ultimatum and some of what came after were terrible. New 52 was mostly mediocre. I'd rather have the highs even if they come with some lows than just a baseline "meh."