• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Pick one

• Persona 3

• Final Fantasy XII

Results are only viewable after voting.

Melody

Oct 28, 2017
Persona 3 was the last Persona game that I enjoyed and has a pretty strong cast, but the music and repetitive nature of it brings it down a lot in my eyes. I only really enjoyed the last few months of it, everything else felt like busywork. Everything after P3 was just too anime for me

FFXII is just better in every way I can think of. Maybe the cast doesn't evolve as much as in P3, but it felt nice to have a more mature cast of characters . Music in particular was fantastic in XII whereas P3's music was nice but extremely repetitive.

Shoeless

Oct 27, 2017
Mechanically, I have to give it to FFXII, it was a joy to play, so many systems that kept me really engaged on a gameplay level. Emotionally though, like a good book or movie, Persona 3 won me over. There were a lot of mechanics I wasn't a big fan of, like getting tired in dungeons, or having no control over party members, but I was absolutely floored by the story and characters.

So I voted FFXII, since we're talking about games, and I still love its systems, but emotionally P3 left the bigger impression.

Flame Lord

Oct 26, 2017
I disliked FFXII as a child, but decided to give it another go when the HD remaster came out. Then I discovered that I was right the first time and that that game is wack, Persona 3 all the way.

Unkindled

Nov 27, 2018
FFXII was so bad I had to quit it midway back in PS2 day. Then they released Remastered and I thought finally I will beat it nope it was still shit.

Android Sophia

The Absolute Sword
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I love both games, but Persona 3 made a lasting impression on me that has stayed strong to this day. FFXII has not, unfortunately.

Sumio Mondo

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
One is the best game in the Final Fantasy series. The other is the worst game in the Persona series (though this is somewhat of an unfair charge, as it laid the groundwork for the best games in the series).

Gotta give it to XII. Tartarus, kids. Not even once.™

Yeah I think P1 is weaker overall but P3 has the worst dungeon gameplay in the series. Tartarus was such a grind. Lots of nostalgia in this thread. If they played it now versus the great gameplay we get in P5 (and P4) the game would be judged more harshly.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
Lol FFXII has really good party member behavioral customization. Persona 3 (FES, the one I played) has some of the worst party AI of all time.

d38tzje-2d14ded2-a3de-45e5-b11d-a917f499baf3.png

+

Tartarus.jpg

=

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I think P1 is weaker overall but P3 has the worst dungeon gameplay in the series. Tartarus was such a grind. Lots of nostalgia in this thread. If they played it now versus the great gameplay we get in P5 (and P4) the game would be judged more harshly.
Eh, I last played it in 2016. The game definitely needs to be modernized, but it's still a great, great title.

Nairume

SaGa Sage
Oct 25, 2017
I loved both games at the time. Returning to FFXII is a little easier, but it's hard to not give the nod to P3. It became the template for its series moving forward. FFXII abandoned most of what came before it and very little was retained after it.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017

I anyone has the urge to play Persona 3 FES now or soonish and has a copy flying around there is "mod" (cheat) for the PCSX2 emulator that lets you control other party member.

Sep 28, 2018
I think I am one of the few people who never got into the FF series. Never much liked the art direction, all that over the top architecture and overly designed character costumes full of pointless zippers and nonsense... It totally put me off.

I do like the Persona games, though... Substance AND Style.

But the real winner for me is Skies of Arcadia. My favourite world in any game ever... I was entranced when I first played it.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually stopped playing jrpgs for several years after playing FF12. I disliked it that much.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
This was such a hard choice for me, they're both up there in some of my favourite games of all time.

But XII wins for the art direction, battle system and exploration.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Persona 3 is my favorite of that franchise while ff12 is one of my least favorites of that one. This vote was a no brainer for me.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've finished FF12 to completion and only played about ten or so hours of P3, but I can safely say that P3 is better in every way. FF12 has so many flaws, it's crazy. I can't believe some people call it the best in the series, it's such an incredibly overrated game.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer Persona 3, Zodiac Age is absolutely fantastic as well however. OG FF12 on PS2 wasn't that great.

Deleted member 4353

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 3 by far. Mechanically and technically of coure FF12 was better but story, music, characters and general fondness P3 was much better.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 3, but I've never played the version where you only controlled one character so I'm not sure how much that would impact my experience if we're limiting ourselves to the PS2 versions.

Final Fantasy XII was okay, but mostly I just remember auto-grinding for levels because I reached a point where the difficulty of the game was infuriating without being interesting.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I'd pick FFXII, but I think it's worth noting both games had somewhat glaring problems that re-releases had to fix. Which is fine.

Chocobo115

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
Persona 3 basically cause I had more fun with it.
But I'd like to replay FF12 to see if I view it differently today. I remember not enjoying how different it was from the other games in the series.

Patazord

Dec 14, 2017
Persona 3 for me, FF12 combat are just way too fucking boring for me, once your set the gambit you will auto attack to death almost everything in the game, this is also the only game i fell asleep playing.

Zukkoyaki

Oct 25, 2017
I greatly prefer Persona 3 but voted for FFXII because I think it's a better, less flawed video game.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
Persona 3, especially the PSP version.

One day I gotta try FFXII on the Switch because I think portability might be the spice that makes me fall in love with that game.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Persona 3, hands down - and I'm one of those who really liked and still likes FFXII a lot.

Persona 3 is simply a more interesting and engaging game in every aspect but level design (and even then, I wouldn't call most of the 'dungeon' areas in FFXII remarkable in any way). In terms of story and characters, it's not even close.

StarStorm

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Persona 3 easily. I've beaten both and I only remember the plot similar to the beginning of Star Wars and nothing else for FF XII. Most of my friends quitted FFXII early on. Only me and another friend actually finished it and we both agreed it was a chore. Neither of us liked it. It is just an offline mmo.

P3's character and story was more interesting. I was more emotionally invested in the cast. I had more fun playing it.
FFXII is one of my least liked games while P3 is one of my all time favorites. Its a no brainer.

Oct 27, 2017
I dislike 12. It's when square started acting like turn based battle systems were dirty and I feel that is a large reason they have lost their way with the ff series. P3 takes this battle with ease from my point of view.

Wedginald

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Persona 3 is one my favorite games of all time, and Final Fantasy 12 for me was always a let down coming from the incredible PS1 and PS2 FF's, especially coming off the heels of FFX which was fantastic, so its no contest lol. I had so much hype heading into FF12, wondering how they could top what they just did in 10, and what other awesome visual improvements it would have, and I was left so disappointed. Come to think of it, ever since 12, I havent really enjoyed any other Final fantasy, with the exception of the MMO's which I liked.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I dislike 12. It's when square started acting like turn based battle systems were dirty and I feel that is a large reason they have lost their way with the ff series. P3 takes this battle with ease from my point of view.

FFXII is ATB, you wait for a bar to fill up then you select an attack from a menu, it's the same thing they'd been doing since FF4. FFX is the only turn based mainline FF game since FF3.

But yes, it's very different. But having characters stand still and select attack, fire, or cure from a menu is boring, which is what you do most of the time in those more traditional combat systems.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
FFXII, particularly given the much better, extensively programmable A.I. and the ability to command every party member directly if need be. For me, XII was the last truly noteworthy FF (I don't play MMOs, so I'm not counting XIV). P3 was my formal introduction to Persona in spite of having been aware of the series before that, but not to general SMT. If anything, despite not necessarily disliking it altogether, there have been enough things about it that have bothered me (the detached co-worker vibe that clashes with the core modern Persona theme of gaining power through building bonds with others, along with me just not liking S.E.E.S. as a group, the weakest implementation and crop of S.Link characters with few exceptions, needing to micromanage relationships to prevent S.Link reversals while sometimes prompting them easily like with Yukari and having to date every female character once ranked highly enough, the lack of much of anything interesting to do during downtime despite the emphasis on living a regular life when not on assignment, shuffling to get the skills I want when fusing Personas, Tartarus being awful and boring while dungeons designed deliberately were the exception and not the rule, the existence of tired and sick statuses to make climbing Tartarus take even longer, the excess of grimdark and edge associated with the game's imagery and Memento Mori theme, and of course The Answer only further lowering my opinion of the cast) that have only continued to make me evaluate it more harshly in retrospect, initially when compared to P4 and then later P5 as well.

Apples and oranges, but even then I didn't feel like giving P3 a pass for all of my problems with it.

Last edited:

Mexen

Oct 26, 2017
Because I played P3P, my vote automatically goes to the first FF game I beat - XII.

TwinBahamut

Jun 8, 2018
This is a choice between my favorite PS2 RPG and my least favorite PS2 RPG. Persona 3 wins this easily. It is a great game that I've happily bought three times already.

It is probably for the best if I don't get too detailed in my opinions about FF12, but it remains an utterly unrewarding and tedious game with an abysmal story.