• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 29682

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Mechanicus is both a great Xcom style game in it's own right and also a really good look at the weirdness of the Adeptus Mechanicus, it's also written by a regular Black Library authors (GW's publishing arm).

I can believe it, while the story isn't much to write home about, its discussion on the divisions within the AdMech, how they approach xenotech and their parallels with the Necrons is more than I've come to expect from a lot of Warhammer games.

Ixian

Nov 25, 2018

Final Liberation for these masterpiece FMVs

Whole game was full of those masterpieces. Pity the game crashed all the time even on old hardware, wonder how it holds up nowadays.

I'm going to add to that with another amazing oldie, Chaos Gate - https://www.gog.com/game/warhammer_40000_chaos_gate

It's probably quite aged though so if you're willing to overlook that for a pretty solid tactics game (and almost entirely latin chant based soundtrack, haha).

Lausebub

Nov 4, 2017
Since every game that I know has already been recommended and you are new to Warhammer, watch Astartes, if you haven'tt already.

karnage10

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
personally dawn of war 1 Soulstorm, space marine and gladius all made me play for dozens of hours.
The best game for me however was battlefleet gothic armada 2 which gave me 100hs of gameplay.
Imo the game combines very well great graphics, fun gameplay witha ssymetrical races and a campaign long enough but with enough scripted battles that keep me coming back every few months.

some screenshots.
614178743F84E660E309B7DDA02422881CAD8580

7735004EE12CEB26606D09DA9D8832EEE2043051

B9358C2A8A96FBF77459EC19567672087B4CE3BD

F9226AB18A8E824A5A996D67F510BFA92B4748C3

9155B47780CCDEB0D57D76F7805AF6113AC8D50B

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly it really depends on what your are into. I'd say most are worth playing if you are interested in the genre. And there is a 40k game for almost every genre.

My favorite remains Dawn of War 2.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I spent a decent portion of today watching lore videos and just bought four 40K books (Lord of the Dark Millennium, Eisenhower Collection, Crusade, and Storm of Iron) so I want y'all to know I'm taking this shit seriously.

This universe is cool as heck.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
I spent a decent portion of today watching lore videos and just bought four 40K books (Lord of the Dark Millennium, Eisenhower Collection, Crusade, and Storm of Iron) so I want y'all to know I'm taking this shit seriously.

If you ever want to ask about lore, the tabletop games, computer games, books etc, feel free to join us in the community thread!
www.resetera.com

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the 40K Era There Is Only War OT

For more than a hundred centuries the Emperor has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the Master of Mankind. By the might of his inexhaustible armies a million worlds stand against the dark. Yet, he is a rotting carcass, the Carrion Lord of the Imperium held in life by marvels from...

Cokomon

One Winged Slayer
Nov 11, 2017
Hopefully Darktide is good and you can add that to your list when it releases.

hobblygobbly

Oct 25, 2017
NORDFRIESLAND, DEUTSCHLAND
Dawn of War + expansions

Dawn of War 2 and 3 are good games in their own right but I liked the base building in first

Multiplayer was fucking awesome in the first

Battlefleet Gothic Armada is great for the spaceship gameplay

EYEL1NER

Oct 26, 2017
I've been holding onto hope that once the Xbox Backwards Compatibility program resumes (afaik it hasn't; it was put on 'pause' until the Series X launched) Space Marine will eventually get added. I bought it a long time ago and tried it. It felt good but I had a bunch of other games to play at the time and didn't care for the world. Now that I'm a huge fan of the 40K lore, I'd love to play it again.

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
Just watched the whole thing.

Bewildered and utterly awed.

I demand a 40K Netflix show from this guy.

there is a sisters of battle animation being developed by Games Workshop, also a Space Marine one centred around the Blood Angels.

then there are the trailers they do for big releases, such as the one for the Indomitus box set/9th edition release.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
there is a sisters of battle animation being developed by Games Workshop, also a Space Marine one centred around the Blood Angels.

then there are the trailers they do for big releases, such as the one for the Indomitus box set/9th edition release.

Awesome, thank you. What little I knew about this franchise already seemed very cool to me, so learning more about it through lore vids and buying some books today has shown just how rad the fuller extent of the lore actually is.

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
Awesome, thank you. What little I knew about this franchise already seemed very cool to me, so learning more about it through lore vids and buying some books today has shown just how rad the fuller extent of the lore actually is.

If you want to get lost down a rabbit hole of Lore look at the Lexicanum. A wiki for everything 40k.

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page

Warning, it's far too easy to get lost for hours in there.

Oct 26, 2017
Youtuber Luetin09 does long deep dive videos on many 40k topics and is worth watching, I find them good videos to have on while I'm eating. (avoid ArchWarhammer like the plague, he's an alt-right asshole)

If you're interested in seeing the actual tabletop game in action try WintersSEO, they do "Battle reports" which are basically edited down videos covering a complete game. It's also a cool opportunity to see lots of the miniatures painted to a high standard.
Just bear in mind they're not particularly fussed about cannon when it comes to the opposing teams, they make anybody fight anybody.

Finally if you're at all interested in the painting/modeling side of the hobby, try Midwinter Minis. These are really accessible videos that show competent, but not super talented levels of painting and kitbashing among other stuff relating to the hobby. Also, Guy and his girlfriend Penny come across as genuinely nice people.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
I just remembered that Space Marine ended with a sequel hook. Too bad it never went anywhere.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Mechanicus is both a great Xcom style game in it's own right and also a really good look at the weirdness of the Adeptus Mechanicus, it's also written by one of the regular Black Library authors (GW's publishing arm).
I can believe it, while the story isn't much to write home about, its discussion on the divisions within the AdMech, how they approach xenotech and their parallels with the Necrons is more than I've come to expect from a lot of Warhammer games.
Yeah that's what I was saying. The interactions between missions where they ae constantly disagreeing about the best approach to whatever given situation is really well written and authentic to the lore.

The preachers quotes from the "good book" are amazing. I get the old kid chills.

I'm currently listening through the Eisenhorn (I'm pretty sure you meant that instead of Eisenhower) saga on Audible. You will NOT be disappointed.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
If you want to get lost down a rabbit hole of Lore look at the Lexicanum. A wiki for everything 40k.

https://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Main_Page

Warning, it's far too easy to get lost for hours in there.

Lol yeah, I'm already beginning to see that. Even just picking one faction seems to be its own universe of lore unto itself.

Youtuber Luetin09 does long deep dive videos on many 40k topics and is worth watching

Yeah, I checked out his video "What is Warhammer 40K" and thought it was a really good, helpful overview to begin with.

If you're interested in seeing the actual tabletop game in action try WintersSEO, they do "Battle reports" which are basically edited down videos covering a complete game. It's also a cool opportunity to see lots of the miniatures painted to a high standard.
Just bear in mind they're not particularly fussed about cannon when it comes to the opposing teams, they make anybody fight anybody.

Finally if you're at all interested in the painting/modeling side of the hobby, try Midwinter Minis. These are really accessible videos that show competent, but not super talented levels of painting and kitbashing among other stuff relating to the hobby. Also, Guy and his girlfriend Penny come across as genuinely nice people.

Wicked, thank you. Not gonna lie, I was looking at a McFarlane figurine and tempted to buy it, hadn't even considered doing my own before now.

I'm pretty sure you meant that instead of Eisenhower

Lol yup! Emblematic of my noob status :)

Chixdiggit

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I really liked Gladius (4X) and Mechanicus (TBS)
store.steampowered.com

Warhammer 40,000: Mechanicus on Steam

Take control of the most technologically advanced army in the Imperium - The Adeptus Mechanicus. Your every decision will weigh heavily on the outcome of the mission, in this turn-based tactical game. Will you be blessed by the Omnissiah?
store.steampowered.com

Save 70% on Warhammer 40,000: Gladius - Relics of War on Steam

Warhammer 40,000: Gladius – Relics of War brings you to a world of terror and violence. Four factions will engage in a brutal war for dominance over the planet’s resources. In the first turn-based 4X strategy game set in Warhammer 40,000 you will lead one of four unique factions.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
If you ever want to ask about lore, the tabletop games, computer games, books etc, feel free to join us in the community thread!
www.resetera.com

Warhammer 40,000 |OT| In the Grim Darkness of the 40K Era There Is Only War OT

For more than a hundred centuries the Emperor has sat immobile on the Golden Throne of Earth. He is the Master of Mankind. By the might of his inexhaustible armies a million worlds stand against the dark. Yet, he is a rotting carcass, the Carrion Lord of the Imperium held in life by marvels from...

Great, thank you! I thought there might be an OT here but was a little intimidated being such a smelly newbie and all. I'll jump in for sure though, now that I've opened this door!

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Great, thank you! I thought there might be an OT here but was a little intimidated being such a smelly newbie and all. I'll jump in for sure though, now that I've opened this door!
Someone in 40K would say something like, "Fear not, faith in The Emperor unites us all, brother."

Also, a book recommendation: Helsreach. The tale of a Space Marine chaplain coming to terms with being left behind to fight an unwinnable battle.

Thekeats

Nov 1, 2017
From a book point of view here are some of my recommendations.:-

The Eisenhorn/Ravenor books are well worth a look. All written by Dan Abnett (worth checking out his run on Guardians of the Galaxy as well was probably the biggest influence on the movies). Follows the Inquisitor Eisenhorn then later his protege Ravenor. About 8 books so far with a new one releasing soon based around one of the supporting cast.

My personal favourites are the Commissar Cain books. Series of more humorous books set around the Imperial Guard and Commissariate. Cain is more a blackadder style character who depicts himself as a coward. Unfortunately has earned himself a reputation as a big shot hero.

Back to Dan Abnett with Guants Ghost, a series of books the follow Commissar Cain and the Tanith First and Only. Named so because a chaos incursion destroyed there planet on the Founding Day of the Imperial Guard in that sector. A lot more serious than the Cain books. Deals a lot with the power struggles inside the Imperial organisations. Also has a lot of great action.

Then there is the Horus Heresy. I would only look to these when you have a better understanding of the lore. It is basically a retelling of how Chaos gained a foothold in the universe, how a section of space marines where corrupted and how the emperor ended up on life support. The issue with this series is that, first it is long. There are 56 books in the series and that doesn't cover the final conflict. You really need to understand a lot about the space marines to get the most out of them. They are still great reads, but it plays a lot on the rivalries between legions. Finally not everything in there is a great read, or even essential. Plenty of guides online to help with that.

finally there is the siege of terra. This is the immediate follow on from the Horus Heresy. It deals with thefinal assault on earth. This hasn't finished yet, however there will only be 12 books in this run. It has been pretty good so far.

there are plenty of side recommendations as well. Deff Skwadron is a great graphic novel following a group of Ork Pilots. Demon fugue is a great sisters of battle comic. There are some cool books set around the Necromunda setting (civilian/gang level in the 40K universe).

but there should be enough there to keep you going for a while.

edit: fixed a stupid autocorrect of Eisenhorn to Eisenhower...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Someone in 40K would say something like, "Fear not, faith in The Emperor unites us all, brother."

Also, a book recommendation: Helsreach. The tale of a Space Marine chaplain coming to terms with being left behind to fight an unwinnable battle.

That is one of the most incredible OP's I think I've ever seen.

It's already put so much into perspective just reading about the Imperium.

From a book point of view here are some of my recommendations.:-

The Eisenhorn/Ravenor books are well worth a look. All written by Dan Abnett (worth checking out his run on Guardians of the Galaxy as well was probably the biggest influence on the movies). Follows the Inquisitor Eisenhorn then later his protege Ravenor. About 8 books so far with a new one releasing soon based around one of the supporting cast.

My personal favourites are the Commissar Cain books. Series of more humorous books set around the Imperial Guard and Commissariate. Cain is more a blackadder style character who depicts himself as a coward. Unfortunately has earned himself a reputation as a big shot hero.

Back to Dan Abnett with Guants Ghost, a series of books the follow Commissar Cain and the Tanith First and Only. Named so because a chaos incursion destroyed there planet on the Founding Day of the Imperial Guard in that sector. A lot more serious than the Cain books. Deals a lot with the power struggles inside the Imperial organisations. Also has a lot of great action.

Then there is the Horus Heresy. I would only look to these when you have a better understanding of the lore. It is basically a retelling of how Chaos gained a foothold in the universe, how a section of space marines where corrupted and how the emperor ended up on life support. The issue with this series is that, first it is long. There are 56 books in the series and that doesn't cover the final conflict. You really need to understand a lot about the space marines to get the most out of them. They are still great reads, but it plays a lot on the rivalries between legions. Finally not everything in there is a great read, or even essential. Plenty of guides online to help with that.

finally there is the siege of terra. This is the immediate follow on from the Horus Heresy. It deals with thefinal assault on earth. This hasn't finished yet, however there will only be 12 books in this run. It has been pretty good so far.

there are plenty of side recommendations as well. Deff Skwadron is a great graphic novel following a group of Ork Pilots. Demon fugue is a great sisters of battle comic. There are some cool books set around the Necromunda setting (civilian/gang level in the 40K universe).

but there should be enough there to keep you going for a while.

edit: fixed a stupid autocorrect of Eisenhorn to Eisenhower...

Awesome, thank you!

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I was looking at the Mechanicus game on YouTube and HOLY SHIT THIS MUSIC:

Is the general quality of the music throughout? Because I might just grab the special edition on Steam to get the score too.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I was looking at the Mechanicus game on YouTube and HOLY SHIT THIS MUSIC:

Is the general quality of the music throughout? Because I might just grab the special edition on Steam to get the score too.

Mechanicus has a generally phenomenal OST, yeah, if you like electronic music with a religious-gothic edge to it.

Schiavone!

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 19, 2021
Space Marine is great. Dawn of War 1 and 2 are fantastic. I'm enjoying Gladius but it's sort of Civilization-esque.

Schiavone!

Alt-Account
Banned
Feb 19, 2021
I just remembered that Space Marine ended with a sequel hook. Too bad it never went anywhere.
I remember reading the original plan was for a trilogy and for the players character to be corrupted by Chaos. There's an interview or write up somewhere about it as the director talked at length about what the plan was.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Is Space Marine a limbo game in terms of rights? Like would it be difficult to "Remaster" it today?

I have the Steam version and by all accounts I think it's supposed to play well, but given the cult following behind the game and the more frequent 40K game releases in the years since, I'm surprised it hasn't been re-released.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Space Marine is incredible. I wish it was backwards compatible on Xbox.

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
Alright gang, I'm breaking the seal on Dawn of War 1 tonight.

Any tips for someone who hasn't played a RTS in years?

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I played the tutorial and first 2 missions of Dawn of War.

Yo, I like this.

I LIKE THIS A LOT.

Deleted member 29682

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I played the tutorial and first 2 missions of Dawn of War.

Yo, I like this.

I LIKE THIS A LOT.

I assume you're playing the vanilla Dawn of War 1? Each expansion has its own campaign, with Winter Assault having two linear campaigns for Order (Imperial Guard and Eldar) and Disorder (Chaos and Orks). Dark Crusade and Soulstorm have more open campaigns where you expand your territory on an overworld by choosing regions to attack/defend, putting you in a standard battle against whoever is defending/attacking respectively:

febb4ttx0cs11.jpg

9450_20161217195334_1.png

Dawn of War 2 returns to linear campaigns, with base game and each expansion having their own respective campaigns (Space Marine only for base game and Chaos Rising, any faction for Retribution).

OP
OP
Zor

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
I assume you're playing the vanilla Dawn of War 1? Each expansion has its own campaign, with Winter Assault having two linear campaigns for Order (Imperial Guard and Eldar) and Disorder (Chaos and Orks). Dark Crusade and Soulstorm have more open campaigns where you expand your territory on an overworld by choosing regions to attack/defend, putting you in a standard battle against whoever is defending/attacking respectively:

febb4ttx0cs11.jpg

9450_20161217195334_1.png

Dawn of War 2 returns to linear campaigns, with base game and each expansion having their own respective campaigns (Space Marine only for base game and Chaos Rising, any faction for Retribution).

Yeah, I have Dawn of War GOTYE and Winter Assault so far, haven't grabbed the other two DOW1 games/expansions yet.