• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jokkir

Oct 25, 2017
None unless they're distracting or make the image noticably worse. I turned off CA and lens flare in Cyberpunk at launch cause it made the image really soft and never really looked back though I'm sure it got better now. I may turn it back on again

RowdyReverb

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Per object motion blur is good for smoothing out 30 fps since I'm more of a resolution/fidelity junkie. For that same reason, I can't stand film grain

FinFunnels

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
I always try the games with the options turned on first, just to see how well (or not) the game uses the effects. Then if the effects are bothering me, I turn them off. Bad motion blur I turn off almost immediately, since it gives me headaches and makes it a lot harder to track what's happening on screen. CA usually gets turned off as well.

Letters

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I always disable motion blur, vignetting, depth of field and chromatic aberration. I judge the bloom, film grain and lens flare on a case by case basis.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
chromatic aberration I turn off the game. That stuff literally gives me a migraine if I stare at it too long.
Same. I consider a CA toggle a neccessary accessibility feature, not even considering how visually hiseous it is. Hoping for a new port of Bloodborne (lol) to try the DLC, because it makes me physically uncomfortable to play it.

Chromatic Aberration

If there is an option, this shit gets disabled ASAP.

Why the hell would I want an effect which degrades visual quality.
Seriously. It's baffling to me.

I like most of the effects devs use in games these days, even CA if its done tastefully.
I'd argue such a case does not exist. I know some people point to Alien Isolation, but I'd turn it off there too.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
I'd argue such a case does not exist. I know some people point to Alien Isolation, but I'd turn it off there too.

The only place I think it can be tolerable is the VHS tapes in Resident Evil 7. Because you're literally watching a video tape so the effect makes sense, and the visual quality in those segments is so purposefully low that it doesn't look out of place.

Also, I generally turn motion blur off in 60 FPS games if the option is present.

laxu

Nov 26, 2017
Motion blur always needs to go. It is the absolute stupidest implemented feature in every game where both camera motion blur and object motion blur are tied into a single setting. Camera motion blur is an effect that should not even exist when most LCDs are slow enough to add their own motion blur anyway.

V-Sync too as I use a G-Sync display.

Chromatic aberration depends on the game. If it's obnoxious then it gets disabled. In rare occasions it can be a neat effect when used in moderation.

Film grain gets usually disabled. It does not improve the game.

Sharpening depends on the implementation. Some have a ton of artifacting when it is used, on others its more subtle. Sharpen should always be a slider.

FOV gets adjusted if possible. Usually a bit wider FOV works better.

In general I dislike how games treat the viewport as a camera and have effects that are things that camera lenses do. It should be more like a god window the player is using to watch her character or through the character's viewpoint.

Martinski

Jan 15, 2019
Göteborg
I don't even get why effects like CA, Film Grain and such even is a thing... makes the image quality just worse, much much worse. It's an idiotic trend to make games like more "cinematic" i guess but.

f3c.gif

Oct 28, 2017
Same. I consider a CA toggle a neccessary accessibility feature, not even considering how visually hiseous it is. Hoping for a new port of Bloodborne (lol) to try the DLC, because it makes me physically uncomfortable to play it.
Yeah, for me it feels like trying to focus my eyes without glasses on.

I would love for a dev to chime in what the purpose is of the effect.

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
Pretty much all post-processing effects. Vignette, chromatic aberration, lens flare, lens distortion, and lens dirt are always off no matter what. If your artistic vision includes any of these things then your artistic vision sucks imho. Motion blur I only enable if I'm playing a game at 30 fps which is rare. Film grain is off most of the time unless it reduces dithering like in RE2. Depth of field I also turn off most of the time but I'll occasionally leave it on. I like it in Alien: Isolation for example.

EDIT: Oh, and camera shake/head bob if that counts. Literally makes me sick.

Last edited:

Mallaboo

Nov 2, 2017
I disable these almost every chance i get.
Ray Tracing as i prefer 144fps
Chromatic aberration because it looks like ass
Bloom if overdone

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Motion blur
CA
V-Sync as I have it enabled in global settings for G-Sync
Film Grain
Vignetting

Sometimes: DoF, Bloom.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
The only place I think it can be tolerable is the VHS tapes in Resident Evil 7. Because you're literally watching a video tape so the effect makes sense, and the visual quality in those segments is so purposefully low that it doesn't look out of place.

I can't remember, but you're still moving around in first-person view in those and it's screen-covering, right? I still have a hard time justifying it there if so. I could maybe be ok if the effect was on a screen in the environment or a pop-out window showing a screen a character was viewing. I just think the negatives far outweigh any potential use for immersion when it covers the overall screen in gameplay. I don't think the novelty is worth it for me.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Screen shake. I don't know why developers include that shit, but it gives me fucking migraines. Stop it.

Ryoku

Oct 28, 2017
Film grain and chromatic aberration will always be off for the game's I play. I like to set motion blur on medium in most games that have it if it's done well and is performant. Otherwise that, too, gets shut off.
If it's a competitive game like Rainbow Six Siege, then motion blur gets turned off regardless of how it looks.
Any other post-processing that alters the look, like vignette, also gets turned off.

Oct 29, 2017
None without seeing how they look first. Sounds crazy to me to turn off motion blur without seeing first if it's not just object motion blur, plenty of games don't do camera motion blur anymore.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Motion blur, pretty much always. It's implemented poorly in most games, and turning it off is almost always an immense performance improvement.

Chromatic aberration, almost always. While not usually that big an effect on performance, it just looks awful most of the time. At most, it should be a temporary effect that happens when your character is hit or under some other negative effect; it should never be always on. Deus Ex Human Revolution is an excellent example of CA done right.

I usually disable film grain if it sucks. When done right, it's barely noticeable and adds detail to distant textures. Destiny 2's is super subtle and I love it.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I habitually disable anti-aliasing when it's optional (which it is for most, but not all, games).

Mostly it's just on principle, though. Some techniques are better than others, and I understand all its benefits (and drawbacks), but I still disable it if the option is there. Anti-aliasing (other than supersampling) just doesn't feel right to me.

I avoid games with chromatic aberration, but I won't disable it in games I do play where it's an option. I'm completely fine with motion blur and other post-process effects; AA is the only thing I'll actively turn off.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
(Camera) Motion blur, chromatic abberation, lens flare and especially vignette which annoys me.

SoundLad

Oct 30, 2017
I personally like to turn off

AA
Bloom
AO
Reflections
Motion Blur
CA
AF
Post Processing
Tesselation
Ray Tracing
HDR

And many others. I just don't have the time to be fed visual information or the creators' "artistic vision" BS. Game visuals peaked with HL2.

/s

For real though, I don't tend to turn anything off. I like all of the effects.

Deleted member 25870

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Film grain, motion blur, and excessive screen shake. I don't need mid-2ks shaky cam to convey intensity, and blur doesn't hide uneven frame rates. Film grain is just. You want me to muddy the image when you worked so hard to get things to 4K?

Dezzy

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Motion blur. I didn't buy a 144hz monitor to have blurry motion.
Chromatic aberration, and film grain. These literally just make the image quality worse. Chromatic aberration is especially terrible.
Bloom gets turned down or off as needed. Depends on the usage.
Screenshake depends on the game.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
The bloom comments remind me how excessive the bloom is in Hitman 2 and how there's no option to turn it off.

Looks especially OTT in Sapienza

gebler

Oct 27, 2017
I don't disable any effects unless they actively annoy me, which is rare. When it happens, it's usually on PC, with chromatic aberration being the most common offender, then film grain.

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
I don't have a luxury high end pc, so I need to turn everything off just to get my games running decently.
This is purely theoretical, but I think that I dislike excessive bloom or blur. They are probably fine in small amounts.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
Usually chromatic aberration, film grain, bloom and vignette if there's settings for those, although bloom I'll check out the game first.

Good quality motion blur, such as per object motion blur, I keep on since I find games to look much better with that enabled no matter the framerate, can make quite a bit of different to the overall visual quality, but it depends on the game, I'll play a little first to determine whether it looks good or not first before deciding to keep or disable.

PLASTICA-MAN

Oct 26, 2017
Film grain filter and CA no matter how well they're implemented

Exactly. They are the worst kind of aberrations created to mask fallacies and problems in games, like in movies. Add to that letterbox/vignette.

Edit: Seems the lot majoruty don't liek them. Tbh devs should allow options to disable those on consoles bceause they do on PC but strangely not on consoles.

OP
OP
Lightning Count
Jan 27, 2019
Fuck off
Exactly. They are the worst kind of aberrations created to mask fallacies and problems in games, like in movies. Add to that letterbox/vignette.

Edit: Seems the lot majoruty don't liek them. Tbh devs should allow options to disable those on consoles bceause they do on PC but strangely not on consoles.

Some console games do have the option to disable it.

Linus815

Oct 29, 2017
camera motion blur is only acceptable at 30 fps, and even then only a small amount.

per object motion blur is nice although i love taking screenshots and they usually look bad because of it so i tend to turn it off too.

Vignette is hilariously pointless. We alrady get vignetting as a mechanic (like if you have low hp), i definitely dont need the corner of my screen darkened at all times.

film grain is ok as long as its very subtle. TLOU 2's film grain was annoying.

CA is fine if its not overblown.

dont mind lens flares.

I used to disable bloom in the mid 2000's because games way overused it, I think its fine now.

Griselbrand

Oct 26, 2017
Film grain, always. It's always more of a distraction for me and does nothing to make the game more atmospheric.