• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
Been rewatching The Dark Knight and it struck me how successful The Joker was throughout the movie. Without getting into specifics, he essentially broke the Batman and what he stood for all while hurting Bruce and many others on a personal level as well. Got me thinking, what other villain succeeded in what they were trying to do?

Nov 17, 2017
Vayne, Cid and Venat are the main villains of Final Fantasy XII and even though you defeat them in the end, their ultimate goal was to wrest control of humanity from a group of god-like beings that had been directing the course of mankind and history since time immemorial. That's exactly what they achieve by the end of the game.

VAD

Oct 28, 2017
Mariah Stokes:
Turns her daughter into a murderer and pushed Luke to take her place and become Harlem's kingpin.

Dec 25, 2018
Makuta Teridax,
His ultimate goal was overthrowing Mata Nui and taking control of the Matoran Universe, and besides a few Toa related bumps on the road (such as losing a Kohli Match) he ultimately succeeded in that goal.
Edit: He's the main villain from Bionicle

Last edited:

Starphanluke

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Nov 15, 2017
Palpatine orchestrating the Clone Wars and Order 66 while also disillusioning the galaxy to the Jedi's supposed peacekeeping turned out pretty damn well there for a while.

JJH

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
bruhl-civil-war.jpg

Last edited:

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Palpatinr from Star Wars.* We still don't know if he won or not because his scheme may still be in progress.

I think he wanted to get revenge on Skywalker for wrecking his details and so rather than dong on a weird old loner, he deliberately created a brand new Skywalker girl just so he could long term mess with her and cackle.

* notice how I was able to actually identify my villain and what they're from even though it's not an extremely obscure anime or comic?

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
Thanos for sure. It took an ass-pull of epic proportions to reverse his victory, and even then he only lost in the end by the skin of his teeth.

RedVejigante

Aug 18, 2018
NOuzv.jpg

And he did. He showed them so many boners...

Seriously, though, as much as people dont seem to like him, Bane's initial appearance has to rate pretty high on this list.
8zU6Q.webp

Mar 10, 2018
Are we talking superhero films, any films, or any medium whatsoever?

Anyway,

Paimon succeeds at the end of Hereditary, so I guess there's that.

Bor Gullet

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Palpatinr from Star Wars.* We still don't know if he won or not because his scheme may still be in progress.

I think he wanted to get revenge on Skywalker for wrecking his details and so rather than dong on a weird old loner, he deliberately created a brand new Skywalker girl just so he could long term mess with her and cackle.

* notice how I was able to actually identify my villain and what they're from even though it's not an extremely obscure anime or comic?

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Dr.Doom has actually taken over the world twice and given it back

alstrike

Banned
Aug 27, 2018
Arvin Sloane from Alias, too bad JJ Abrams was long gone by the end so the writers cheesed him out.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
To be honest it's probably Sheev. The Skywalker bloodline is wiped out and the Palpatine bloodline lives on. He can survive being exploded and if you kill him directly he'll apparently take over your body and drive you around forever like Get Out. He has foreseen everything you're going to do. Everything is all according to his keikaku.

4CornersTHSA

Jun 13, 2019
Arguably Sauron. He was absolutely correct in his intention that no being, no matter elf, man, dwarf, hobbit, or even Maiar (essentially angels) could resist the Rings power. And he knew the Valar (essentially gods with a small g) wouldn't intervene like they did at the end of the First Age. Not to mention he corrupted the other Rings of Power during their creation, except for the Elven three, but it didn't matter; the power he imbued the Ring with ensured they would all answer to him. They would succumb, and even if they "overthrew" him, his life force was bound to the Ring, and as long as it exists he still wins.

Shame about that whole hand of Eru/Gollum/pit of fire thing that got in the way.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
Nah
He failed to complete his "heaven" to make it the way he wanted. Like, when his last words are him begging not to get his face smashed in because he still hasn't fully completed his plan, in no way did he win
huh all this time i remembered it as him completing his plan lol. guess i need to brush up on stone ocean

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Palpatine orchestrating the Clone Wars and Order 66 while also disillusioning the galaxy to the Jedi's supposed peacekeeping turned out pretty damn well there for a while.

Until ROTJ, Palps is never actually defeated, just inconvenienced. In TPM the heroes stop the Naboo crisis from escalating as much as he'd hoped, in AOTC he pretty much wins outright, in ROTS he's humiliated by Yoda and impeded by Anakin being lit on fire but everything else worked perfectly. He liked the Death Star but didn't seem too attached to it (if RO is right with Krennic spearheading it). He finally loses in ROTJ, and his comeback in TFA/TLJ/TROS lasts shorter than the height of the rebellion that took him down, but that's still a solid 20+ years of success without any real losses.

Honestly the only 'huge' loss I've seen him suffer outside his actual death was in Rebels where he failed to turn Erza AND access the World Between Worlds. And if we're getting REALLY technical, his biggest loss was losing Thrawn, who's 'what if we just had better star fighters, screw this superweapon shit' probably would have worked in destroying the Rebels.