• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

hwarang

Oct 27, 2017
latest
maxresdefault.jpg

$40 for this shit when it came out.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Trying to think of if I've got any. I played utter garbage sometimes and enjoyed it for some reason lol.

PhazonBlazer

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I asked for a Razer Scooter game on PS1 for Christmas when I was younger. It was terrible.

Xenosaga

Oct 27, 2017
Bouncerbox.jpg

I remember buying the import version of this when it came out which cost me around $100.
I finished it the day I started playing and remember being very disappointed with the game (other than the graphics)

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
Urban Champion...

tbh I don't know how I ended up owning it. I'm assuming I saw the cover and for some reason asked my parents to buy it for me

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure any terrible game my parents bought for me was one they bought of their own accord

I sure as heck didn't ask for Where's Waldo

Raleigh00

Oct 27, 2017
Friday the 13th for NES. They tried to warn me by telling me to get something I had already played and liked, but the cover image of Jason was far too tantalizing. Don't know the cost at the time - free would've been too much.

PrimeBeef

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Double Dragon 3 on the NES. Was going to get SMB3 but my mom was taking her sweet ass time to a friend she talked to all the time. The guy at the game counter at Target sold the last copy just as she was walking down. Settled for DD3. Was a shit game.

rpm

Into the Woods
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Parts Unknown
I don't think I've ever asked for a game that I later regretted
They did buy me Sonic 06 of their own accord, though

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
I wished for Dark Castle for the Mega Drive for Christmas/birthday. Went to the video game store and begged them to take it back in spite of me opening it. Possibly the worst game I have played but the cover art looked good and there was no internet to warn me. They did take it back at least and I got some Mortal Kombat game instead. Rad.

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Club Penguin Elite Penguin Force for DS

Like, I only played the online game because a friend begged me to because he had nobody to play with, and I thought it was OK but when I heard about the DS game I went ballistic and begged my grandma to let me buy it with her money because the trailer made it look super epic and advertised linking to your real account (which was handy)

little did i know that the game's so damn short you can beat it on the guest settings the first time you boot it up lmao. I loved it but it was over so darn quickly that I feel bad in retrospect

Honorable mention goes to Phineas and Ferb Ride Again as I was a huge fan of the TV show at the time and it was actually a fun well-made platformer, but it was also stupidly short and Disney's dumb social media DGamer network never ever worked, and neither did those DSI minigames. I enjoyed the game itself, but the main reason I regret having grandma spend money on it is because on the way home from the store a driver came at us the wrong-way and just barely hit our car. We had to drive onto a curb to avoid her and then she apologized non-stop for a few minutes before we saw that she was a teenage driver, and thus didn't take her seriously so we left as there was no accident and we didn't want to wait for one to happen

I still worry about how bad it could have been if we did get hit and I would have felt super guilty if something happened because I wanted to get freaking Phineas and Ferb for DS

Shoes

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
51DW02ZPmzL._SY445_.jpg

Honestly this is the only one that comes to mind, but I may have bought this with birthday money. Reading the shit out of Nintendo Power as a kid and knowing that I basically had two chances to get a game each year (Christmas and birthday) made me really picky when it came to what I asked for. Plus there was a mom and pop game rental place that would give you free rentals for "A's" on report cards, so I rented a lot of games as a little kid.

My dad would buy super random trash games on clearance though. I remember Super Chase HQ and Super Alfred Chicken on the the SNES didn't see much play time. Sometimes he struck gold, though, like when Best Buy was clearancing out Earthbound and he bought a copy for like $20

Burrman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
25417-ehrgeiz-god-bless-the-ring-playstation-front-cover.jpg

Tried convincing myself it was good, but really wanted it simply for the FF characters in it. It was like a crappy powerstone rip off.

Bitanator

Oct 27, 2017
Tony Hawk's Underground 2.

Terrible game compared to the first, they went all in on Bam and squeezed a giant turd.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
I'll always remember this, but it was Advance Wars. This was when we lived overseas. The base exchanges were notoriously slow getting anything new. So, my mom bought it from Amazon. This was the early 2000s, so it still took weeks for something from Amazon to get delivered overseas. So I'm waiting and it finally comes to the exchange. I can't wait any longer, I convince my mom to buy it for me and that it wasn't the same game that she already ordered. I'm happy and I've been playing it for a few weeks and the copy from Amazon arrives. She is furious because she knows she has seen this from somewhere before. I somehow convince her that I don't have it yet. So, I end up giving the copy to my friend then we could have play against each other. I never did something like that again. lol

Also, I remember I asked her for OoT. She brought home Quest 64...lol

mbnp1.png

Last edited:

ChaserX

Nov 1, 2017
Miami, FL
None, because I had excellent taste even as a child.

9128u7ZXtAL._SL1500_.jpg

In my defense, it was my first video game. The worst part is I didn't even beat or really play the thing and traded it in one week later because me and my dad didn't fully understand Gamestop's trade in service.

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Christmas 2004, my parents managed to get me two copies of GTA: San Andreas but forgot the PS2 to play them on. Despite hating each other's guts, my parents actually went shopping for my gift together, but Mom straight up didn't recognize that the game they bought was already gift-wrapped under the tree.

Aug 27, 2018
Fester's Quest, what a terrible game. Bonus question: what ACCESSORY did you waste your parent's money on. Mine was this monstrosity:

sega-activator-box.jpg

Numberfox

Aug 5, 2018
Pokémon Black; it was a combination of being at that edgy teenager phase and really not liking any of the starter Pokémon/elemental monkey designs. It's the only generation I've never beaten, and at this point I've got too big a backlog to consider playing through it, though I acknowledge that a lot of folks really enjoy it.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
I was so convinced Aidyn Chronicles the first mage was going to be gods gift to N64 games. I convinced my poor stepmom to buy it for me and forced myself to enjoy it cause I knew she would be so pissed if I didn't like it.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I wasn't allowed to buy many games cause my mom hated them. Most stuff I picked out was great (Wario Land, Pokemon, FFVII, .hack(s)...) but I can think of 2 mistakes:

Bart vs the Space Mutants. I had no idea how to even clear the first level due to the block. Some of the painted items were hard to reach, so I had no idea I needed to get ALL of them before I could even clear lv 1... Yeahhhh

The Sims... whatever the magic expansion was. Friend installed the original game on my PC, and I enjoyed it enough to get almost all of the expansions (except the party one). But every expansion made my PC run slower... back when I didn't have much PC knowledge. When the magic expansion came out, it took foreverrr to even load the game. I got fed up after playing it only twice. I think my PC crashed too trying to load it. Such a wadte since I barely touched it :/ I ended up selling all my expansions in a garage sale soon after (don't think any had codes). Sims Online I was stupid and didn't get the idea of online subs at the time :/ Was fortunately able to get that returned though...

Mr Jones

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yikes, a lot of them. Master System games like My Hero or Alex Kidd, or Genesis games like Techno Cop or Heavy Nova. I'm sorry Momma.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
i pestered and begged my mum to buy me a game back then and she bought me this:

220px-Urban_Champion_cover.jpg

Mum, if you are reading this.........i am sorry i've wasted your money.

Scheris

Oct 27, 2017
$5 to get Shaq-Fu at a flea market. I knew it was crap, but dear god I wasn't prepared for the level of crap it was.

On the other hand, got Gunstar Heroes GBA & Astro Boy: Omega Factor for $5 the next year at a flea market, so it all panned out.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I had my parents buy me Pokemon Jade on GBC. Back then I was like, okay this is a different direction for pokemon. Turns out it was a bootleg of Keitai Denjuu Telefang. I did enjoy it for what it was. The translation was a mess and I think there is a progress blocking bug which I was able to workaround sometimes.

Overall, my Mom was godlike when buying me games on PS1. She bought me Suikoden 2 randomly. She has no idea about modern games and what she was buying but she hit the jackpot for that one.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
... I liked Quest 64 you monster.

Worst for me was probably Kirby's Dream Course.

Well it didnt help that I never had a memory card....

Thankfully it was redeemed.....15 years later when I finally finished it thanks to Emulation lol.

Kirby's Dream Course on the other hand, I enjoyed it but it was a rental for me.....though I would have traded the $50+ I had my parents give to Quest 64 for Kirby lol.

CreepingFear

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Shit, a lot. Almost any video game that was based on a movie or tv show. Mostly NES and Sega Genesis era.