• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which Gameboy Advance model did you prefer?

• Original

Votes: 152 18.6%
  • SP

Votes: 581 71.0%
  • Micro

Votes: 85 10.4%

• Total voters

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
It still annoys me to this day there's no "perfect" GBA. The original was difficult to see, the SP had bad L & R buttons and no headphone jack, and the Micro is real neat but a bit too tiny.

Wish they just released a version of the original with a backlight and a rechargeable battery

(also there's no perfect DS, either. The DS Lite came close but I can't be dealin with those mushy buttons)

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
Here a picture of my handheld drawer (GBA is clearly my favorite).
FML9xGO.jpg
None are the original systems I had, other than the Famicom Micro which a friend sold me in High School. SP is the newer model with the backlight.

When I was younger I sold pretty much every game I had to pay for new games, so I basically had to rebuild my whole GBA library from scratch.
Only Golden Sun: The Lost Age is the original cart I bought back in Middle School (I'm 31 now... šŸ˜§)

Micro

Oct 28, 2017
Stock form, the SP.

Still have my AGS 101 SP. Rechargable battery + backlight are a must IMO. I'd love to get a modded original one for the form factor though, they're more comfortable to play on for sure.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I had both the OG and the SP, the SP was easily my favorite version. Backlight, compact design, it was amazing.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
SP+ for me (hate the Micro), although if I had a modded original, I'm sure I'd prefer that. The original screen on that thing was almost unusable in all but optimal lighting conditions.

Barrow Roll

Oct 25, 2017
As someone that just recently bought a modded GBA with an AGS-101 backlit screen...I still prefer the AGS-101 SP. It comes down to the buttons on the SP; i just love the satisfying click, and how easy they are to press. The D-pad on the original GBA just feels mushy and unsatisying by comparison. I ogled the modded GBAs or so long from afar, but it's finally nice to know that I still prefer the SP so I can stop wondering. I just ordered a shell replacement and can't wait to have a pristine, all black, AGS-101 SP.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Owned the original and that's my favourite design, by far. If it had a backlight and two more face buttons, it'd be the greatest portable of all time.

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
Here a picture of my handheld drawer (GBA is clearly my favorite).

None are the original systems I had, other than the Famicom Micro which a friend sold me in High School. SP is the newer model with the backlight.

When I was younger I sold pretty much every game I had to pay for new games, so I basically had to rebuild my whole GBA library from scratch.
Only Golden Sun: The Lost Age is the original cart I bought back in Middle School (I'm 31 now... šŸ˜§)

So you don't play Circle of the Moon?

OP
OP

Deleted member 23850

Oct 28, 2017
The original is the best form factor, but really needed a lit screen. SP had that, but lacked the form factor. Micro is sexy but can't play older games and is too small (and expensive).

So I obviously think my original with a modded backlit screen is the best GBA.

SHTXWZ7.jpg
I really need to look into modding an OG Advance now.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Modded original GBA's with a backlit screen are a strong contender against the SP. but at the end of the day I can fold an SP into my pocket and take it with me way easier then the og GBA. So SP take it for me. Micro comes in dead last though. I own the fan icon version and I gotta say after the novelty wears off it kinda sucks lol. It's just too small

Acidote

Oct 26, 2017
As an official release, the SP.

But nowadays the original one modded with a decent screen. I intend to do one if I can find a decently priced original to mod with a new case/buttons/screen.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
I voted for the original, but I can't argue against SP.

I like the shape of the original a lot, but the lit screen of the SP was obviously a big improvement. The Micro was kind of a middle form of the two, but was just too small.

Jun 13, 2018
I love my mother 3 micro, but it's a bit too small to be comfortable playing on. I wish I still had an SP.

Probably played GBA games the most on either the original or on the original DS. Got quite a bit of use out of the gameboy player for gamecube as well.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The SP is baffling to me.

"I know what's a great idea: let's upgrade the fantastic ergonomic design of the GBA with a box"

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
In terms of looks, the original with the Micro a close second. The original doesn't have back light so that unfortunately invalidates it immediately whereas the Micro is just too teeny and you can't play Game Boy/ Color games on it.

I don't really care for the design of the SP and the back light isn't great (unless you had a specific model that I don't have, I don't even think it was released in Europe), but in terms of convenience it's the best: even with mediocre back light, you could at least see what you were playing, the screen is protected after use by simply closing the lid and being able to play GB and GBC games is great.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
So you don't play Circle of the Moon?
I have! It's in there sandwiched between Golden Sun and Metroid Fusion.

I never played it back in the day, I hadn't yet found out I liked Castlevania games at that point and back then I think I avoided it due to it being nearly impossible to see on an OG GBA.

I first played within the last 5 years ago I think. Got really far (pretty sure I was right at the end, I just wanted to grind before the boss) but never actually beat it. I really should get back to it, it's the only GBA/DS Era Castlevania I haven't beaten.

xendless

Teyvat Traveler
Jan 23, 2019
Best: The thing you could attach to the gamecube to play gba on tv, even had save states
045496950309_l.jpg

Chiramii

Oct 25, 2017
Norway
The original was way more comfortable but that doesn't matter when you can't see the screen
This. I had the frontlit version of the SP and it was leaps and bounds better than the original because of the illuminated screen.

A original GBA with the backlit screen modded in is the best combination of course, but that's beyond the point of this thread.

Giga Man

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I prefer the original's design. When I finally got an SP, I got the version with an even brighter backlight, but I didn't find it all that comfortable, and I missed out on the headphone accessory.

One day, just for the hell of it, I'm gonna order a modded OG GBA with custom colors and a better backlight. Maybe even get a rechargeable battery built in too.

Best: The thing you could attach to the gamecube to play gba on tv, even had save states
045496950309_l.jpg
Honest question: Did anyone ever remove the Game Boy Player from their GameCube? I certainly never did.

Amalthea

Dec 22, 2017
OG has the best ergomics and I love its turn of the century case design. The earlier model SP screens look pathetic nowadays. The Micro is just classy, comfortable and even has a phone jack despite its size. I like it the most overall.

daTRUballin

Oct 25, 2017
Portland, Oregon
The SP was the one I had (and still have!) as a kid, so I voted for that one. I actually never knew any other version existed until I was older and had the internet at my disposal. I thought mine was just the original standard model lol

JustinH

Oct 27, 2017
Now? The original model with a backlit screen modded in. Back when I got them? The SP was such a much better system since you could actually see the screen.

I have the famicom Micro and I think it's just too small. I actually hate using it, so it just sits on a shelf by my (very few) GBA games.

singo

Nov 5, 2017
I really need to look into modding an OG Advance now.
I think the kit I bought cost me less than $50, and included the trimmed shell (screen is a little bigger than original, so some trimming needed for original shells), buttons, pads, lens, stickers and of course the IPS screen. The kit is super easy to install. If you want to have adjustable brightness, some soldering skill and equipment is required, otherwise the screen will default to 70% brightness (which is a little brighter than the brightest SP screen).

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
I really like all of the GBA designs, and I've always wanted a Micro because I do legitimately think it looks great and I loved all the different styles you could get for it.

I'm going to go with the original simply because that's the one I have, and all of the modded ones I've seen look gorgeous and I have been tempted to mod one myself.

I'm also super looking forward to the Analogue Pocket because that looks hot too; just need to dig out my box of GB/GBA games.

EDIT: Oh and shout out to the GB Player for the GC. I used mine so much, maybe even more than the actual GBA in the end. Golden Sun on my TV was fire.

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
The fact that the SP is generally seen as so superior despite the worse ergonomics and bizarre lack of a headphone jack says a lot about just how awful the lack of a backlight was on the original. As a kid you tend to not notice flaws in things so much but the GBA screen just made me not want to play it at all.

That said despite the worse ergonomics of the SP it's still not uncomfortable to hold for me, the rechargeable battery was a plus and I like the clamshell. I'd probably still lean towards it even if they both had the same screen.

Weltall Zero

Game Developer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Madrid
The SP is pretty much perfect except for the silly headphone jack and the tendency of its L and R to break over time (but that's an issue with pretty much all Nintendo handhelds since, so...).

Deleted member 5334

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Original, simply because of the way the buttons are laid out and it's more comfortable in my hands, but I do prefer that the SP models have either a back or front light. It's really my only gripe with the original, though I do know there's mods out there to replace the screen of the original. I just don't trust myself to do so, though maybe someone I know does these sort of mods... Might need to ask around.

Drowner

Banned
May 20, 2019
I liked the SP b/c I could play pokemon with one hand and the backlight is a necessity. The lack of a headphone jack did not bother me b/c I play handheld games on mute anyway. It also seems more durable or at least less prone to screen damage due to the folding design. I never tried the micro but it looks too small and it did not play original GB or GBC games.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Damn all these GBA threads, stayed up til 2AM last night looking into modding my old glacier GBA... definitely a spring project, think I will do an IPS screen and try slotting in a xbox one controller battery pack to make it rechargable.

Loved my front lit SP back in the day but rough on the hands and not being the 101 screen makes me love it less now.

prateeko

Oct 26, 2017
The original is the best form factor, but really needed a lit screen. SP had that, but lacked the form factor. Micro is sexy but can't play older games and is too small (and expensive).

So I obviously think my original with a modded backlit screen is the best GBA.

SHTXWZ7.jpg
I think this is overall the best answer, but of the OEM systems I would actually go with Micro. It couldn't play the older games but my goodness is that bad boy portable.

Suburban Thug

Banned
Nov 13, 2017
Midwest
I owned the original and SP - would pick the SP hands down due to the rechargable battery and backlight. The Micro came out too little too late for me; was already looking forward to the DS/PSP by that point.