• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Gameboy Advance model did you prefer?

• Original

Votes: 152 18.6%
  • SP

Votes: 581 71.0%
  • Micro

Votes: 85 10.4%

• Total voters

Mosaica

May 22, 2019
I prefer the shell of the original, though the backlit screen and rechargeable battery of the SP were a godsend.
Custom/modded models are the way to go though.

PlayBee

One Winged Slayer
Nov 8, 2017
The form factor of the Advance is so much more comfortable than other Game Boys but the lit screen of the SP is too convenient to give up. A modded backlit OG Advance is the perfect Game Boy.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Definitely the SP for me. I owned an original GBA and played a ton of games on it, but I stuggled with the lack of a backlight a lot.

When the SP came out, my family got two (one for me and one for my brother). I absolutely loved the thing. It was easier to see the screen and I loved the built in rechargeable battery. I really like the clamshell form factor too.

I still have my SP close at hand. These days, it is my preferred method of playing OG Gameboy games.

Symphony

Oct 27, 2017
Original modded with a backlit screen is perfect for playing on, Micro is an absolute beauty but the screen is just a bit too small to use for long sessions.

I think everyone saying SP because of the backlight is misremembering what they actually owned, only the very late SP model (released end of 2005/early 2006) had that and it was barely available outside of the US. The model 99% of people had was the frontlit one which was both super washed out and not actually that bright.

E3FCCD84-E5E6-48F4-9254-7B33FC076411_300x.jpeg

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
I have to take the context of time into account and vote for the SP. Everyone had wanted a lighted screen since the days of the original Game Boy, when we had the Game Gear (and even the dang Lynx) to compare to -- after the Pocket, the Color and the Advance all failed to address that, finally answering that ridiculously overdue feature just made the SP feel like the ultimate Game Boy at the time. The industrial design was slick, the clamshell was relevatory, and it could still play the full range of the Game Boy library. Not having a headphone jack could be seen as an unforgivable sin (almost as unforgivably sinful as the dogshit audio quality of the GBA itself), but the adapter is a fairly easy solution (and, strangely, one that we're now begrudgingly used to with many 3.5 mm jack-less phones).

The Micro is a thing of true beauty, though, especially the Famicom edition. One of the biggest design swings Nintendo has ever taken, and I adore it for that.

Jon Carter

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The original Game Boy Advance is the comfiest, and look at this:

Game_Boy_Advance.png

In that color, IMO still the most beautiful handheld ever.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Playing without backlight is borderline impossible. I have no idea how we did it back then but I would never play a GBA game ever again if I was forced to do it without backlight. I guess the original version modded with backlight would win but among the official releases it's the SP with backlight.

Deleted member 43657

User requested account closure
Banned
May 19, 2018
The SP model AGS-101 is backlit and vastly superior to the first production model AGS-100 with a frontlit screen.

Of course the best answer is a modded original GBA with a backlit screen and a bunch of other features like better sound and an SNES shell with concave purple A and B buttons.

Oct 27, 2017
SP, having a built in light was a game changer. i went through so many cause the screen sucked ass though and then had one stolen:/ My crimson red one was the one that lasted.

Rob2K19

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love my glacier blue GBA, but I have to go with SP. The light, the folding top, and then GBA video... SP improved my qol.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
SP was incredibly good but I do have a love for the OGs shape and I also always wanted a Micro just for the fun of it. SP all the way though, still have it :)

RoadDogg

Oct 27, 2017
I like the form factor of the OG more but the screen and battery of the SP made it impossible to go back

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Are there any pics out there of Shaq playing the Micro?

King Alamat

Nov 22, 2017
Like my dad was gonna buy me the SP if I already had the original. Probably would've saved him on AAs, though.

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
OG has an infinitely better form factor. If it had a backlight the SP wouldn't even be in the conversation.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
SP clamshell design was awesome back in the day. Not the greatest to hold, though.

I never owned a Micro but I sure as hell love the way they look — I have no idea how they feel to hold and play on, though.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
I own a Famicon Micro and it's one of my most prized possessions.
Yeah, I love mine.

Out of all the GBA Versions I think the Micro's d-pad and buttons the best. They're just the perfect amount of squishy springy.

Unfortunately my Micro at least has some light bleeding (if that's the right word) toward the edges of the screen, so it's like it gets lighter toward the edges than it is in the middle. And it also has some noticeable ghosting on movement in games.
Plus the screen is just SO TINY that it does make stuff like RPGs a bit hard to read.

I've considered looking into replacing my Micro's screen to see if it can fix the back light issues I have.

The SP I definitely love too for the clamshell design, and the improved model with the back light definitely makes it the best looking native hardware GBA screen IMO.

I like the look of the OG GBA, but I really can't go back to it. Modern rechargeable AA batteries help a lot, but needing to mod the system for a backlight (or getting a crappy worm light) and not having screen protection are big negatives for me.

linkboy

Oct 26, 2017
Reno
The original was my favorite form factor, but the SP was better due to the lighted screen.

Give me a modded original model and that wins easily.

Oct 27, 2017
OG for the form factor alone.

But if I could bend the rules a little bit, I would pick the Game Boy Player or the DS Lite. A lot of games looked and played great on the GBP with a wavebird and the DS Lite was portal perfection. Great ergonomics, beautiful screen, and it got a headphone jack.

Pirate Bae

Edelgard Feet Appreciator
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
??
I'm actually in the process of modding a GBA with the backlight so...that.

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I have only used the SP and it was the perfect handheld for my teenage years, only wish I got one with a brighter screen.

Rodney McKay

Oct 26, 2017
OG for the form factor alone.

But if I could bend the rules a little bit, I would pick the Game Boy Player or the DS Lite. A lot of games looked and played great on the GBP with a wavebird and the DS Lite was portal perfection. Great ergonomics, beautiful screen, and it got a headphone jack.
I've also found the DS Lite to actually have the best screen for playing GBA games, at least on any device that you can plug a GBA cart into.

It's very bright and more importantly it lacks the motion blur/ghosting you get on every GBA system I've ever had. Only issue is that it's a little small when playing at native resolution (but still bigger than the Micro I think).

I'm VERY tempted to get that Analogue Pocket that can play multiple portable game system carts, that thing looks gorgeous.

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017
Ergonomically the original is definitely the best. Unfortunately the screen means it cannot be the best.