• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

?

• Japanese OG

Votes: 165 63.5%
  • American OG

Votes: 87 33.5%
  • Japanese Kai

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • American Kai

Votes: 6 2.3%

• Total voters
Oct 28, 2017
Japanese original

Japanese Kai

American OG

American Kai

It's the same seen but the music and dialogue makes one of them stand far above the others. Curious to see what others think.

Voror

Oct 25, 2017
Japanese OG for me. Music and voice work is my favorite out of those especially the scream from Masako Nozawa.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I prefer the original Japanese version (and I mostly need Dragon Ball in English) because it lets the music and visuals play without dialogue. Spirit vs. Spirit is an awesome song and it better sells Gohan's development than any actual dialogue.

Cell's line in the first dub, "yet another fighter you could have saved", is the best possible take though, just grinds right into the dirt that Cell is an irredeemable monster and Gohan needs to stop him despite his belief in the goodness of everyone.

May 26, 2018
Japanese original is one of my favorite scenes in all of anime. It's super well planned, directed and executed by all artists involved. Shoutout to LatAM dub.

lambdaupsilon

Apr 17, 2018
i got bored with dbz before getting this far but it's whichever versions (tfs included) that have unmei no hi

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
It's Japanese OG, hands down, no contest. Even the Faulconer-loving, "lol granny Goku" (and btw, Nozawa's scream as Gohan there is better than pretty much anything we've heard from the English cast) crowd can own up to that.

Mewzard

Feb 4, 2018
Gotta go with the original Japanese version. I'm a sucker for Hironobu Kageyama's music, and it sells the scene perfectly. Damn shame Kai didn't keep the old music, because we could have finally gotten a good dubbed version of the scene with the OG music.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i got bored with dbz before getting this far but it's whichever versions (tfs included) that have unmei no hi

I would actually go with this but the way they handled 16's speech to Gohan, where he basically bullies this terrified child because he thinks he's holier than thou, was kinda bullshit. It ruins the whole scene for me despite playing up Gohan as a relentless monster that I think better fits the moment of Gohan vs. Cell.

I don't even know why they did it and it almost feels like an overreaching "apology" for popularizing the "Goku is a bad dad" joke.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
what the FUCK is wrong w/ the US version? i knew the US dub never knew when to shut the fuck up but i didn't realize it was that bad.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
Japanese OG, easy. I bought fansubs of this episode back in the day back when they were perpetually rerunning episodes up to the point where Goku landed on Namek.

God it was such a letdown when they actually got to this point in the dub.

Team Four Star, unironically.

(Japanese OG for the serious answer, though)

Hey, this was light years better than what the actual dub did.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
I would actually go with this but the way they handled 16's speech to Gohan, where he basically bullies this terrified child because he thinks he's holier than thou, was kinda bullshit. It ruins the whole scene for me despite playing up Gohan as a relentless monster that I think better fits the moment of Gohan vs. Cell.

I don't even know why they did it and it almost feels like an overreaching "apology" for popularizing the "Goku is a bad dad" joke.
No the apology for the bad dad jokes was Goku finally out right stating as he is about to instant transmission Cell. that he is proud of Gohan and he is sorry for the way he treated him. A thing the people of DBZA included because they thought people took the bad dad jokes too seriously. Gohans talk down from 16 is among many things 16 telling the audience that Gohan is not a weak little boy. He is the strongest person in the group and the only one who can fight Cell and stop him. So he needs to step up and act like it.

Also DBZA is the weakest option of all available and I'm happy op didn't include it lol.

Thatonedice1

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Working on that also.
Man the OG English is straight up murdered by Gohan's voice over. But the ending lines are just so epic. You can't convince me "Now cell will face a warrior 11 years in the making" isn't a badass line. I was fucking hyped when I heard that as a kid.

Funkybee

Feb 20, 2019
I mean, this is a well overdiscussed matter, but Japanese OG and it's not even close. Can't even go through the american dub for some reason.

mztik

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo, Japan
Japanese OG for sure. It's been a while since I've seen it, but the American OG is so comically bad in comparison. At least they addressed the scene better in the American Kai version. As for the Japanese Kai version, I didn't like the unnecessary grunting and gasping, alongside that unfit music piece.

1. Japanese OG
2. American Kai
3. Japanese Kai
4. American OG

Oct 25, 2017
I will die on the hill that Gohan defeating Cell in the American OG is superior in every conceivable way. But even I know the Japanese original for Gohans SSJ2 transformation tops the other versions, hands down. I'm curious, there are actually quite a few votes for the dub of this scene, do you guys want to explain why you feel this way?

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
OG Japanese. Abridged did a great job with their version of the song when Gohan transformed and never ever the US version.
The music just sucks major ass

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
American OG. The only anime that I hate the Japanese voices for is the Dragonball series. I prefer Falconer's music as well.

Jun 10, 2018
The inner monologuing is what makes the American OG suck ass, everything else about is great (yes, including the Faulconer score).

KAMI-SAMA

Banned
Aug 25, 2020
American OG. The only anime that I hate the Japanese voices for is the Dragonball series. I prefer Falconer's music as well. Maybe it's nostalgia but then again I also started watching Naruto and some other anime's in English before I moved over to watching them in Japanese and liked them so much better. So it can't be that.

I will die on the hill that Gohan defeating Cell in the American OG is superior in every conceivable way. But even I know the Japanese original for Gohans SSJ2 transformation tops the other versions, hands down. I'm curious, there are actually quite a few votes for the dub of this scene, do you guys want to explain why you feel this way?

I guess I just don't like some of the male characters having feminine voices like Goku and Gohan and the voice acting seems overly acted. Also, Falconer's music is amazing.

henhowc

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Piccolo saying Gohan's name always seemed weird though. Speechless is better. Guess only his true dad had the strength.

American version removing the awesome OG japanese track and adding pointless internal monologue when its clear to everyone what's happening here.

crienne

Oct 25, 2017
  1. OG Japanese (and this is coming from a dub-only DBZ fan)
  2. TFS dub
  3. American Kai
  4. Japanese Kai
  5. Literally any other language
  6. Something not even DBZ related
  7. Video game versions go here
  8. I can keep padding this out
  9. Seriously, I don't even want to list it
  10. Ugh, fine
  11. If I have to
  12. I will
  13. OG American

Axon

Banned
Mar 9, 2020
Its almost sad how far superior the Manga is to the Anime´s in every facet.