• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Which sequel announcement would give you the most hype?

• Half-Life 3

Votes: 450 42.1%
  • Portal 3

Votes: 352 33.0%
  • Team Fortress 3

Votes: 101 9.5%
  • Left 4 Dead 3

Votes: 104 9.7%
  • New Counter-Strike

Votes: 24 2.2%
  • New Day of Defeat

Votes: 14 1.3%
  • Dota 3

Votes: 23 2.2%

• Total voters

Max|Payne

Oct 27, 2017
Portugal
I was thinking, and right now, I'd probably get more excited over a Portal 3 announcement than Half-Life 3. Not that I wouldn't be hyped for HL3 but I think Portal 3 would be the game I'd get more eager to play day one.

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
Portal no question. Half life 1 and 2 were great, I'm sure alyx is amazing but haven't played, but I'm kinda over half life. It's been so long since ep 2 that I've stopped caring

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
pretty excited about any of them honestly. they were all fantastic. more importantly is if they can make them at least as good as their predecessors. otherwise it doesn't really matter which one it is

though if I have to answer OPs question I think I'm most itching for TF3 or L4D3. Loved the hell out of TF2 but it's pretty unrecognizable now, but that's a me problem

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I would be ridiculously excited for any single-player Valve game. If forced to choose, I would have gone with HL3 but now that I've played Alyx I'll with with Portal.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Whatever the follow-up to Alyx is. I would be excited by Dota 3 but also be confused about why.

I would also be excited about anything else tbh but those are the tops lol.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
Portal 3. I have played both games in the series a few times each and I'm in love with the setting. I don't know if something could be done with Chell outside of the Aperture Laboratories though, so I would be ok with a new character and more GLaDOS.

Carian Knight

Oct 27, 2017
Turkey
IWhLZa.png

Meg Cherry

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
It's kinda wild, but I honestly think I'd be most excited by Team Fortress 3 right now. Overwatch reminded me how much I love that style of team-based shooter - but I just aggressively disagreed with every move Blizzard made with the game after the first year. I'd be really curious to see what Valve could bring to the genre now, with the benefit of 15 years of hindsight.

Telaso

Oct 25, 2017
As long as they bring back Stephen Merchant as Wheatley for Portal 3, then its the easy winner. Otherwise have to go with HL3.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Portal is like the only thing of theirs that I care about, so that one. Not that I think that series even needs a sequel. I'm quite happy with where they took it and how it ended.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
While I really like HL, Portal has snuck up as the thing I want most from them. I find the banter and world (well that part of the world) just a bit more interesting.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
Next Half-Life.
As Half-Life Alyx has shown, the whole "3" moniker is fairly meaningless, since Alyx is effectively the next step of the narrative. I'm most interested in whatever is next. Also VR for Half-Life has been exceptional, so I'm eager for much more of that

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Half Life definitely but then I didn't beat Portal 2, I found that concept was already pretty well explored in just the first game and lost interest with 2.

Half Life is always a vehicle for exploring how fledgling technologies can aid excellent level design.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Left 4 Dead 3. Mostly because that game slaps and would be extremely fun right now, but also because I never got in to Half-Life so I'm not part of the crew forever waiting for a sequel.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Portal 3 probably, I've never loved L4D2 as much as the first and unless there is a HL3 without VR, doubt I'll be playing that one either, I suspect Portal wouldn't get VR because it would be puke-tastic. Team Fortress 2, I loved the game until they added too much, just sort of gave up and I don't think TF3 would follow a different trajectory.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I say Half Life 3 because I secretly want it to also include Portal 3 (in the game itself, not as a standalone thing as part of a package) and finally have the two fully converge somehow.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Half-Life for the pure hype factor, if only for simply seeing the long awaited conclusion.

However I'd probably have more fun with a new Portal game, so I'm gonna go with both here.

Qikz

Oct 25, 2017
We've just had Alyx and it's amazing. We haven't had a new Team Fortress game in forever.

DeoGame

Dec 11, 2018
I need to play Half Life... but Portal 2 and 1 are absolute fucking masterpieces. I am so on board with Portal 3, but I hope Half Life 3 comes out first to satiate the fans.

Scottoest

Feb 4, 2020
Portal or Team Fortress. I probably have thousands of hours cumulatively in Team Fortress Classic and Team Fortress 2. It was the closest I ever came to "esports" when I was younger.

Half-Life just feels like a ship that has thoroughly sailed at this point, despite the partial revival for Alyx. Not to say I couldn't be won over and have my hype reignited, but it would take more than an announcement.

GrrImAFridge

ONE THOUSAND DOLLARYDOOS
Oct 25, 2017
Western Australia
Sequel schmeequel. Give me F-Stop revived to take full advantage of the 1:1 nature of VR.

Also, I still maintain hope that Stars of Blood -- Valve's open-galaxy "space pirate" game -- wasn't cancelled but merely put on ice until Source 2's toolset had matured to the point where the limitations of Source 1's BSP-based map format were no longer an issue.

Last edited:

Timexy

Oct 30, 2017
Nowadays I'd prefer Portal 3 over Half-Life 3, but as long as it's a single player non-VR experience I'm all in. Team Fortress 3 would be nice ofc but there's too many MP shooters already.