• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Vote only if you played both

• AC Valhalla

Votes: 139 34.2%
  • Fenyx rising

Votes: 268 65.8%

• Total voters

Genetrik

Oct 27, 2017
Ubisoft had a big 2020 and people here seemed to have enjoyed both games. I would be interested in which game ERA considers to be more fun / better?

Personally I have not played either of them yet but I am planning to at least one day play Valhalla.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I've played a lot more AC Valhalla than Fenyx Rising, but so far I must say I've enjoyed AC Valhalla the most of the two. Then again I've liked all the recent AC games and don't really agree with the detractors.

BobbeMalle

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
They both suffer from the usual Ubisoft open world shenanigan, but Fenyx Rising is much more inspired and a breath of fresh air.

Kemono

▲ Legend ▲
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I stopped playing Valhalla after 20 hours.

I got the platinum trophy for Immortals after 55 hours and had a blast.

Ahti

Unshakable Resolve
Nov 6, 2017
AC Valhalla.
Immortals is neat but Valhalla has great atmosphere and entertaining characters and quests.

Hasney

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Valhalla by a wide margin. The writing and voices of the demo of Fenyx put me off finishing the demo, let alone start the full game. I'm 120 hours into Valhalla and just clearing up for the platinum now. Had a blast with every second and that ending is WILD. Cannot wait for the DLC.

Dan Thunder

Nov 2, 2017
As someone who owns both and I found Fenyx to be more fun. AC Valhalla is very po-faced and goes on for far too long. I found myself going through the motions just to get to the finish line in the end.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
I platinumed Fenyx, and i'm currently ... 30 hours into Valhalla, and i really enjoyed Fenyx' open world gameplay much more. Combat was more interesting.

The sidequests in Valhalla are annoying, the collectibles are less challenging and more like "ok, where's that one hole in the ground that gets me into that basement / cave?"
Meanwhile, many of the collectibles in Fenyx were actually somewhat challenging / Interesting.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
Valhalla by far. I liked Immortals but the story was barely there and the dialog got kinda annoying fast. Also felt like there was way more variety in the side stuff in Valhalla (particularly the Mysteries), whereas Fenyx's puzzles got old quickly.

The OST and the endings in Valhalla were far more satisfying too, imo. Couldn't put that game down lol

Oct 25, 2017
I've not started Immortals yet but what's this I hear it doesn't have a collectibles screen to track what you've found to far? It's a Ubisoft game, that's their bread and bloody butter when it comes to their games.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017
Australia
It's a tough call. I think I enjoyed the story more in ACV. But fenyx is a lot of fun. I love the Greek setting. And it's playful.

Overall I think I liked ACV more, but it's for different reasons.

Muitnorts

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I probably haven't played enough AC to fully judge but that's because I got bored and put it to one side for a while.
Immortals I got the platinum and really enjoyed it.

Greywaren

Jul 16, 2019
Spain
As much as I've enjoyed Valhalla, I think it suffers from being way too long. Immortals, on the other hand, was long enough and always kept itself interesting with new puzzle ideas and challenges.

Voodoopeople

Oct 29, 2017
I've been tempted by both of these ones. I really E joyed Watchdogs legion and I'm looking for another Ubisoft game to enjoy. I'll play the Fenyx demo and see how that goes. I think the games sales have suffered a bit from the zelda memes but reviews have been strong. So a demo makes sense. That said, Hitman first. Then Medium, then maybe one of these.

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
LOL tell me about it. "Hey we shouldn't annoy the player with tons of side quests like in Odyseey, just main game stuff. Btw here's an idea I had for additional side content..."

I mean, much of it is certainly a _me_ thing, as i enjoy Ubisoft open-world games as time-wasters where i spend most of my time roaming the open world and fetching collectibles.

And that aspect is super terrible in Valhalla. Traversing the open world isn't any fun, collectibles are spread to widely across too large of a map. "Sidequests" often contain annoying walk-and-talks.

When i'm doing the main story i'm really enjoying it. Except for the fact that, usually, i've alread visited (and cleaned out) many locations simply because i went there for the connectibles first. I would strongly assume if you're a "story first, clean-up later (if at all)" type of player, you're going to be enjoying Valhalla much more.

Also, itemization in the game sucks. Item stats feel like they do very little. I've been using my starter armor / shield / axe throughout the whole game now because i can just upgrade them and i have many of those 'way of the Raven' bonuses.

Also, the fact that the ability to shoot explosive arrows (which make many of the collectibles much much easier, because you don't have to go looking for a fire pot) is just a random ability found in the open world, is mindboggling.

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I loved Immortals! AC Valhalla put me to sleep, numerous times and was one of the least memorable games I've ever played. Except cairns. I'll never forget the cairns.

Ushay

Oct 27, 2017
AC Valhalla suffers from the same old issues its older counterparts have ie the open world collectathons with little to no incentive to do them. I found this game incredibly boring at times, despite how beautiful the world is. For example, cairn stones. Who's idea was it to include this utterly boring as shit puzzle in the game?

Fenyx, while it does have open world style, it seems to do it with style and makes it enjoyable at every step for me. I think what makes it better is the light tone, I like the fact the game doesn't take itself too seriously either. It's a good laugh sometimes listening to Zeus and Prometheus verbally jousting each other.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think they're both really great but I guess Valhalla made my GOTY list and Immortals did not.

Both fantastic though. I'd recommend either.

Marano

Mar 30, 2018
Rio de Janeiro
I wonder if anyone would say legion...

Funny how the 2 biggest ubisoft cross gen games were set in the uk but I have no idea they got the boost that say FH4 did (even if it is really good being on gamepass would eat some of those UK sales, or maybe not).

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Someone doesnt simply "finish" AC Valhalla.

One-Does-Not-Simply.jpg

Kazooie

Jul 17, 2019
Gameplay, level design, focus, all of those relevant points is much much better than ACV. Valhalla has the more intricate presentation though, so there is that. Overall, imo, Fenyx is a very good game, ACV is a bloated and boring game.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't play Immortals but I'm enjoying Valhalla a lot (20h in). It's honestly the most beautiful open-world I've ever experienced. Combat is a little on the clumsy side but still has its charm.

N7_Kovalski

Oct 28, 2017
This is tough for me because I love AC and am a huge fan of the direction the past 3 games have gone in BUT Immortals is such a fun, light hearted and enjoyable experience. I do think Valhalla could have used a bit of content trimming here and there so I will say Immortals but by a tiny amount. Both are two of the best games released last year.

Anddo

Oct 28, 2017
Both are very good games.

Fenyx rising was more fun to play and didn't over stay it's welcome.

mho79

Oct 28, 2017
Fenyx Rising and it's not even close - traversal is better, combat is better, controls feel better

Valhalla just drags on for way too long, they stretched what could have been a great 20-40h experience into a 100h of doing the same stuff over and over again

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
I'll let you know when I finish Valhalla. Over 80 hours and still shit to do.

Camisado

Nov 3, 2017
Valhalla was so dull I bounced after about 8 hours. While not perfect, I platinumed Fenyx Rising.

Khasim

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Valhalla is the worst of the ancient AC games, Fenyx has it beat on all fronts except maybe the IQ.
In Valhalla, Ubisoft has somehow managed to bungle all 3 core mechanics of an Assassin's Creed game, which is exploration, combat and stealth.
Stealth is completely useless most of the time since the slighteset mistake, even on the lowest difficulty, results in everyone in a 5-mile radius immediately knowing exactly where you are.
'Difficult' enemies have unblockable attacks that you have no time to react to and have to facetank so you get one-shotted if your level is too low and have to heal if you are not.
Healing must be farmed or bought and it's ridiculous how much you have to gather in order to be able to heal once.
The Order of the Ancients silhouettes tell you exactly who the member is because they are not hidden properly, so as soon as I looked at who the leader was because I got a clue, the game immediately spoiled it for me, same as at least one other character whose Order allegiance was supposed to be a twist. In Odyssey you only knew the gender of the member they all looked identical and wore a mask on the Order screen and got uncovered when you found out their identity.
Arrow racks only give you a couple of arrows and you have to find multiple to refill.
The story is a mess with zero memorable characters aside of the protagonist, everyone is a caricature or a stereotype.
The parkour is once again completely forgotten and it is always faster to just run on the ground to your next objective.
The combat itself feels the least responsive of all the 3 latest AC games, to the point where I just switched to the Fidelity mode on my PS5 and I see no difference whatsoever in the combat responsiveness from the 60fps Performance mode.
Ubisoft bragged about how the game doesn't have levels and you can technically tackle more difficult zones if you're good enough, which is complete bullshit, 'levels' is just called 'power' and you give yourself 2 boring stat boosts every level instead of the game doing it automatically. Enemies also have a power level and you get absolutely obliterated if you're below the recommended range for a boss or a zone. Most of the time by bullshit mechanics like I mentioned previously.
You make alliances with regions and can then raid them immediately afterwards without any sort of consequence whatsoever.
Most of the 'choices' you have to make are the game basically asking you to flip a coin and decide who to murder without enough proof.
If you want to just chill with your vikings while sailing on a river and listen to songs/stories, you get interrputed every two minutes as soon as you get close to a spot that can be raided (even if you have raided it before).
You can't see all the stats of the items available to be bought.
An end-game character doesn't play any different from a character after the tutorial. Most skills are useless because they take too long to execute and deal too little damage.
It's really baffling how disjointed the game feels as a whole. It's like 5 different people made decisions regarding different gameplay systems and never talked to each other, which is possible given that a hundred studios work on each of those games now.

I thought after Odyssey Ubisoft can't produce anything more antithetical to everything Assassin's Creed was and they would instead build on the good parts of Origins, but instead we got this mess.

Fenyx is a breath of fresh air. Combat is basically ripped from Odyssey but it's simple and does its job, the exploration is fun, as you upgrade your character you feel tangibly stronger because you can glide further, climb higher, tank more hits and deal more damage. It feels like a coherent game with a specific vision.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm enjoying my time in Valhalla. Not the biggest fan of "Raiding" But at least I don't have to do too much of that.

Cliff Steele

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Watch Dogs Legion

Both Valhalla and Immortals get stale super fast. Stopped Valhalla at the 40 hour mark as I could not stand it anymore. Immortals after 11.

pinkurocket

Oct 26, 2017
Immortals is sooooooooo gooooood.
Beautiful and colorful world, surprisingly fun combat and the puzzles are great. It's fun to traverse the world because you never know when you'll come across a puzzle or something to solve. The humor can be questionable, but at least the game has personality and it's really well integrated to the whole game, not just the main storyline.

But I didn't play Valhalla, none of the gameplay clips looked interesting enough to play it just yet. I did play Watch Dogs Legion which was a real dissapointment with a super interesting concept that really added nothing to the game, and the setting was really ugly despite impressive tech with the ray tracing.

Play Immortals!

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Valhalla is the worst of the ancient AC games, Fenyx has it beat on all fronts except maybe the IQ.
In Valhalla, Ubisoft has somehow managed to bungle all 3 core mechanics of an Assassin's Creed game, which is exploration, combat and stealth.
Stealth is completely useless most of the time since the slighteset mistake, even on the lowest difficulty, results in everyone in a 5-mile radius immediately knowing exactly where you are.
'Difficult' enemies have unblockable attacks that you have no time to react to and have to facetank so you get one-shotted if your level is too low and have to heal if you are not.
Healing must be farmed or bought and it's ridiculous how much you have to gather in order to be able to heal once.
The Order of the Ancients silhouettes tell you exactly who the member is because they are not hidden properly, so as soon as I looked at who the leader was because I got a clue, the game immediately spoiled it for me, same as at least one other character whose Order allegiance was supposed to be a twist. In Odyssey you only knew the gender of the member they all looked identical and wore a mask on the Order screen and got uncovered when you found out their identity.
Arrow racks only give you a couple of arrows and you have to find multiple to refill.
The story is a mess with zero memorable characters aside of the protagonist, everyone is a caricature or a stereotype.
The parkour is once again completely forgotten and it is always faster to just run on the ground to your next objective.
The combat itself feels the least responsive of all the 3 latest AC games, to the point where I just switched to the Fidelity mode on my PS5 and I see no difference whatsoever in the combat responsiveness from the 60fps Performance mode.
Ubisoft bragged about how the game doesn't have levels and you can technically tackle more difficult zones if you're good enough, which is complete bullshit, 'levels' is just called 'power' and you give yourself 2 boring stat boosts every level instead of the game doing it automatically. Enemies also have a power level and you get absolutely obliterated if you're below the recommended range for a boss or a zone. Most of the time by bullshit mechanics like I mentioned previously.
You make alliances with regions and can then raid them immediately afterwards without any sort of consequence whatsoever.
Most of the 'choices' you have to make are the game basically asking you to flip a coin and decide who to murder without enough proof.
If you want to just chill with your vikings while sailing on a river and listen to songs/stories, you get interrputed every two minutes as soon as you get close to a spot that can be raided (even if you have raided it before).
You can't see all the stats of the items available to be bought.
An end-game character doesn't play any different from a character after the tutorial. Most skills are useless because they take too long to execute and deal too little damage.
It's really baffling how disjointed the game feels as a whole. It's like 5 different people made decisions regarding different gameplay systems and never talked to each other, which is possible given that a hundred studios work on each of those games now.

I thought after Odyssey Ubisoft can't produce anything more antithetical to everything Assassin's Creed was and they would instead build on the good parts of Origins, but instead we got this mess.

Fenyx is a breath of fresh air. Combat is basically ripped from Odyssey but it's simple and does its job, the exploration is fun, as you upgrade your character you feel tangibly stronger because you can glide further, climb higher, tank more hits and deal more damage. It feels like a coherent game with a specific vision.
Great summary of the many issues I have with the game. I have 3-4 regions left and I'm rushing through it right now so I can finish it soon. I was enjoying much more in the first 30 hours, still having fun but now I mostly ignore the blue, yellow, white dots. Fucking check lists, no real rewarding collecting all these shit.

Catsygreen

Nov 1, 2017
Where is the Odyssey option?
After being completely bored by Valhalla, I switched back to Odyssey. Feels good.

Exactly. I can't believe Darby made the script... it's just a disaster at this point. And yet he's done Black Flag before.

J-Spot

Oct 27, 2017
Tough call. They both have their strengths and I liked both enough to platinum them. If you're into story and atmosphere and don't mind a slower experience I'd recommend Valhalla. If you don't care much about story but want fast and fun gameplay I'd recommend Fenix.

flaxknuckles

Oct 25, 2017
Valhalla is much better. I thought I would like Immortals more than I do. It's kinda boring to be honest. Zeus and Prometheus can be pretty funny but I don't like the other actors voice acting. And the combat isn't nearly as good and doesn't change much since your only weapons are a sword and axe.

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Immortals is the most generic open world checklist game ever with zero interesting side quests and the writing is abysmal. People not liking Valhalla and going right over to that is......baffling

Deleted member 79058

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 25, 2020
I didn't play Gods & Monsters yet because I was still playing Odyssey one or two months ago. Didn't wanna get burn out. Immortals looks like a great game.

I love checklists and collectables. Ubisoft games are a replacement for 90s collectathons like Banjo-Kazooie and Jak & Daxter for me.

May 13, 2018
Valhalla. Some of the vault puzzles in Immortals got on my nerves. Not because of the challenge but because some of them were just tedious to me