• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Favorite type of remakes

• Visual upgrade only (Crash/Spyro)

Votes: 76 15.3%
  • Add/Remove content but still retain most of the original (REmake/REmake 2)

Votes: 234 47.2%
  • Change almost everything - We have the original if we wanted to play it (FF7R/REmake 3)

Votes: 186 37.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Playing Resident Evil 3 Remake made me think about how we view remakes. I enjoyed RE3R, but felt it deviated a lot from the original to the point of losing the unique charm and atmosphere the original had.
20204917105187_6.jpg

The same thing happened to me while playing Crash. I got bored and didn't finish any title, since after the visual appeal wore off it felt like I was playing the same Crash I have been for over 20 years.
maxresdefault-15.jpg

My favorite type of remakes is Resident Evil Remake. The game changes a bit from the original but retains most of what made the original special. and I feel that makes for not only an updated and easier game to access for new generations, but also feels fresh for fans of the original.
recompare-e1516592663716.jpg

I made a poll to see what the majority of Era members prefer. Also, if you think there are more types of remakes out there, please mention them and I'll add them to the poll.

JazzmanZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The Crash kind that updates the visuals and adds little quality of life things too

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
if it can run on my pc/modern console no fuss, acceptable performance... boom there you go, you got my $40+ for the remaster remake or whatever

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I guess my overall favorite would be "reimaginings" that don't try to make the original obsolete. Games that are basically just "here's what a game in this setting, with this premise could be if we made it today".

Ideally the original version of the games would be playable on modern hardware, either through BC or a remaster, and when that happens, they can do whatever with a remake.

Deleted member 59109

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 8, 2019
Crash is actually the ideal remake for me when I think of remakes. If it's a game I like, updating the visuals is fine to me, I don't need much more. If it was something like SM 64, which I don't really like in the first place, I'd also like some changes to the gameplay itself.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
I kind of don't like remakes in general, but since they're here to stay, I'd rather get a completely different game. Not because I'd get bored playing the same thing, I love replaying games, it's just that "visual upgrades" always have the chance of looking worse, subjectively, due to inevitable artistic changes.

If it's overall the same game, I'd rather just get a simpler remaster with higher resolution, framerate and better effects, just for the sake of preservation and availability on modern platforms.

I'll still want to play a different game even if it's worse, since it's a different experience, but I won't want to play the same game but worse. Original RE3 and FFVII may be overall better products than the remakes, but they won't give me that same gameplay. If I feel like playing with FFVIIR's battle system, playing the original won't satisfy me at all.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Good remakes that take the original and make it better. Tony Hawk 1+2 adding reverts, wall plants, and manuals opens up the combo system so much in those games.

I think some games are timeless works of art and should be remastered and not remade.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
I like both a lot! I think the older the game the more drastic I prefer the update to be (RE2, FF7), but I can't really say I prefer one over the other as a rule.

FuzzyAssassin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I think both prettier remakes (such as the Master Chief Collection) and new reimaginings (such as FF7R) both have their places. If a remake is going to be a faithful adaptation a la Bluepoint's remakes, I think the original visuals and gameplay should be accessible from within the game. If a remake is going further afield, I'd want to original version of the game to still be accessible somehow, such as how the original FF7 exists alongside FF7R on PS4.

Oct 27, 2017
I love all three types to be honest. REmake is phenomenal, I really enjoyed FFVIIR which is very much in that final category and also dug Ocarina of Time on 3DS. For me the most important thing is that it keeps the 'spirit' or the core of the original. How they rebuild around that, I don't mind as long as it is still an enjoyable and entertaining experience. FWIW I also preferred R3make to RE3 original. I agree that the older the game is, the more open I am to a complete reimagining. Interestingly, the final type causes cases where a game can be one of my favourites of all time twice because of how different they are and I can play both without feeling retread.

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
A proper balance between old and new, as with REmake 2. If it's something so far removed from the original that it's essentially that game in name only like with REmake 3, then I see no point.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Wish there were official "demakes" of games. Imagine a 2D side-scroller Uncharted lol.
Or something like this (famous?) Dark Souls fan art
0d46569b2c507b6517c354eb3a37d138.png

Source
If it's overall the same game, I'd rather just get a simpler remaster with higher resolution, framerate and better effects, just for the sake of preservation and availability on modern platforms.
Same.

Cipher Peon

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Change almost everything.

The original isn't erased from history. I'd rather they use the original as a jumping off point.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
If a remake is going further afield, I'd want to original version of the game to still be accessible somehow, such as how the original FF7 exists alongside FF7R on PS4.
Yeah that is pretty much perfect. Would be nice if the original FF7 got a proper remaster with HD hud, menus (I played on it on Steam, maybe the PS4 version is different, idk), AI-upscaled environments and all that but the situation for FF7 should be the minimum.

Aquiel

Feb 8, 2020
Like Final Fantasy III or IV, or Trials of Mana. Add or remove some things (for the better), but it respects the original.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
It depends. Resident Evil REmake existed because Mikami wanted to perfect the original survival horror formula and to build on the flaws of the original RE1. Not just anyone can pull that off.

I like variety, though. I want all 3.

CJCW?

Oct 27, 2017
I'm definitely the opposite. I want a remake to either just touch up the visuals and maybe tweak some things for accessibility, or be a completely different game. Doing somewhere in the middle feels like a missed opportunity, but I'm also struggling to think of one that fits in that category. I love the RE remakes because they take the basic template of what the originals are and do something very different with each.

DGxO

Oct 21, 2018
add ff7 remake style, where it isnt even the same fucking genre anymore lmao

Sargerus

â–˛ Legend â–˛
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
REmake is the perfect type of remake and sadly few managed to follow its formula.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I think it depends on the source material.

I loved the work that Capcom did to RE2 Remake and it was super fun to play a version of the game that played differently!

But would I have wanted Bluepoint to mix up the gameplay of Demon's Souls and make it play differently? Hell no!

callamp

Oct 27, 2017
I think all can work well. It depends a lot on the source material.

Crash didn't require much beyond prettier graphics. The core gameplay held up well despite its age.

Something like the original Resident Evil games though require a lot more work because the design is somewhat archaic by modern standards. You cannot just make it prettier without changing the control scheme and hope to make a good modern game.

TheOGB

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think all can work well. It depends a lot on the source material.

Crash didn't require much beyond prettier graphics. The core gameplay held up well despite its age.

Something like the original Resident Evil games though require a lot more work because the design is somewhat archaic by modern standards. You cannot just make it prettier without changing the control scheme and hope to make a good modern game.
Agreed. Sometimes the core experience holds up and all you need is a visual upgrade; sometimes you need to rework some aspects; and sometimes a whole new reimagining makes for a new, worthwhile experience. All are valid.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
FF7R was a lot more enjoyable to me compared to the original.

Guess it depends on the game itself.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
RE2 style, trying to make an old game feel like a new game.

Stuff like SOTC and Souls by Bluepoint or the Crash and Spyro remakes are neat but very forgettable imo compared with a superbly designed fresh take.

A remake should be more than just a cover version imo

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's kinda what makes it weak as the remake of a game, compared to the alternatives. If Crash doesn't need much beyond better visuals and the Crash games had a proper remaster available that just upscaled everything, ran at higher res/fps, that remake would have much less value. Eventually it will look "old" like the originals do, and other remakes have a much clearer unique appeal compared to their originals for when that happens than Crash, for which the preference for aesthetics, which are the only difference, is subjective.

CielTynave

Oct 25, 2017
Change almost everything. I prefer it when remakes end up approaching the game design as if it were a new entry in the series that just reuses the story and characters from a previous one (FF7R/Tales of Destiny/Narikiri Dungeon X, basically any Tales remake).

FinalArcadia

Nov 4, 2020
USA
For a game that's one of my all-time faves, I'd prefer just a visual upgrade (though honestly, I prefer remasters in that case) with maaaaaybe a little new side content. That way, it can't really tarnish how I feel about it. For games I just "like," making more notable changes is fine as long as it retains the atmosphere and general "feel" of the original. I dunno though, it really does depend on a game-by-game basis, so it's hard to choose a definitive answer.

suxgotav

Jul 23, 2019
Being sincere my least favorite type is what Bluepoint does, same old game with new graphics. SOTC and DeS sure were pretty, but it wasn't enough to bring me back to the games I've already beaten a dozen of times.

Oct 25, 2017
As far removed as the Final Fantasy VII Remake was, AKA shitting on the original story. No more of those, please.

Resident Evil Remake, on the other hand, is perfection.

plain

Oct 27, 2017
It really depends on the game. Some games could use a graphical overhaul while still maintaining the same core mechanics, especially games from the PS2-PS3 era. Old ass games could use a complete reimagining. I certainly don't want remasters of games 2+ gens ago.

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
Obviously #3 is the best. There's a reason that REmake is the standard all other remakes are judged by.

But honestly? Any of the three is fine with me. I've played and enjoyed all of them.

#2 is also clearly the easiest to dismiss. The "new coat of paint" dismissal. But a good remake of this type will also update interfaces and such, and really render the original game unnecessary. Take Demon's Souls - many may forget, but I vividly remember what a chore it was to consume individual souls, or march back to the Nexus overburdened. Or Link's Awakening. Assigning items to the 2 available buttons was a serious pain in the ass.

Last edited:

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Entirely depends on the game.

Take Mass Effect for instance. Upcoming remaster doesn't mean much to me, I've replayed all three games a dozen+ times. So some upgraded textures isn't really going to be worth it for me.

That's an instance where I would really like a full blown remake that addresses various issues and shortcomings that were present throughout the trilogy both gameplay and writing wise. Updating and improving the combat, leveling and abilities across all three games to provide a better sense of progression. Beef up some of the story beats and side content that were lacking or deserved more development. Same for reworking some of the companions and improving upon the romances to be more realistic and meaningful, as well as more inclusive. And addressing some of the weaker story and choice bits like the ending, but plenty of stuff well before then.

It's a series I love to death, but at this point I've experienced everything the original versions have to offer and no series is perfect, so to get another chance to fully retool and update the trilogy now that all three games are out, and hindsight being 20/20 and all that, aligning them to make a much more consistent and enriched experience would really be great.

striderno9

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
New York, NY
Depends. I was very happy with just the up res release of FF7. It's exactly what I wanted for a long time. I was excited to play the remake which I really enjoyed. But when it comes down to it. I'll be replaying the up res re-release before I replay the remake.

TC McQueen

Oct 27, 2017
I think it depends on a game by game basis, but I feel higher res visuals don't really count as a remake, even if you're rebuilding old assets/building new assets. If you're going to label something a remake, you've got to at least bring the new graphics and some kind of user experience upgrades - better controls, rebalancing, better save system, stuff like that. Incorporating stuff like cut content is just icing on the cake.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
If the game can essentially hold up by today's standards I prefer the remake to just be visual with maybe a couple of QoL tweaks. I love what's been done with Shadow of the Colossus and Demon's Souls and I think both hold up quite well with little change outside of visual.

For other games I love complete overhauls that capture the spirit but bring the gameplay up to more modern standards (or in the case of something like RE2 introduce a new standard). For example (and not to prod the bear here) I know some of y'all think RE4 is perfect, but I'd love a remake with more modern controls (and design to compensate).

I do think that ideally for any remake that does anything drastic - whether it be visual or gameplay design - there should also be ways to access the original game on modern systems, whether that means included with the remake, as a seperate digital release, or through backward compatibility (along with solutions for anything with online elements). That way the original truly is still there for those who desire it.

harry the spy

Oct 25, 2017
Offensive take - I wonder how many people raving about remake had played the first one. I hadn't and besides the first phase in the house (formulaic but good atmosphere) I found it incredibly average.

OP
OP
Brhoom

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Can mods edit poll choice? would love to add a couple of examples for each choice.

Visual upgrade only (Crash/Spyro)

Add/Remove content but still retain most of the original (REmake/REmake 2)

Change almost everything - We have the original if we wanted to play it (FF7/REmake 3)

Last edited:

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Depends on the game really.

With RE3 I wanted a modern game that is even more ambitious. In my head it would be designed like Dark Souls where you have this somewhat big city and it is filled with side stuff to help you like shortcuts and even survivors to save or fight (in case they were evil). The game would have been even more randomized (like OG was but even more expanded) and expanded on so stuff like Nemesis would obviously be even more unpredictable. Same goes to enemies where they could spawn sometimes depending on RNG like the OG.

I wanted something that takes survival horror to the next level and brings back everything and expands on them. That means Dead Factory, Grave Digger, Mercenaries, different cutscenes and choices etc would return.

Now for other games that are already perfect like RE4 I prefer something like what Bluepoint does.