• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hydeus

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
France
Six Feet Under

latest

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Breaking Bad had a really satisfying final season and ending.

But as a Korrasami shipper this was basically me during the Korra finale:

FZ95kZl.png

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't anyone say Scrubs? Scrubs, prior to the Med School season, had an amazing finale.

Futurama has had like three or four really great finales, too, for every time they thought they'd be cancelled.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Queer as Folk finale

The emptiness that justin left feels so real. It breaks me so hard in a good way that i wish they could continue the story again

Nov 1, 2017
The Shield and it's not close

Also shoutout to Enlightened which basically has a perfect ending even though they were planning for a third season

And this is maybe just recency bias, but I thought Veep nailed the ending in a way that I didn't expect

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
Everyone online seems to be in post-Game of Thrones depression right now. But instead of being mad and miserable, I think we should take this opportunity to highlight the shows that truly knocked it out of the park with their finales. Endings are hard, so let's celebrate the shows that succeeded.

My favorite TV finale of all time is easily Newhart. Easily.

It's also the only piece of media I've ever seen to successfully pull off the "all just a dream" ending. For those unaware, the show ends with the reveal that the entire series was just the dream of the character that the main actor played on his previous sitcom (The Bob Newhart Show). It's thoroughly absurd and completely amazing.

OP is right, Newhart will never be topped. It's so absurdly awesome and perfectly executed. All hail Bob!

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
The Shield is simply the best and nothing will never beat it.

I actually came in here thinking Newhart, though. Glad to see the OP covered it.

Justified also has an amazing finale

We dug coal together

Christian

Oct 25, 2017
Scrubs.

There is no Season 9.

THERE. IS. NO. SEASON. NINE.

Never gonna begrudge them for making that season. Bill Lawrence and everyone involved loved working together, and Bill wanted to make sure a lot of the staff still had work. There are worse reasons to do things.

(But yes, quality-wise, it's not great. :/)

The Archon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This so much.

Winchester hating classical music in the end, was so sad, but it showed that he no longer was the pompous man he was when he arrived at the 4077th. There are much more great moments in the finale and Winchester had shown a lot of growth in the show. But this one stuck with me the most

Avatar The Last Airbender is the pinnacle of incredible series runs, the standard that all series should aspire to.
Avatar's ending was excellent, but so was the beginning and the middle. It's an excellent series no matter at which point of the series you look at it .

Gvon

Oct 25, 2017
I dont remember many endings. However one that hit hard was the Raccoons 😂 I remember crying and that, was a sad ending because it felt like the end is Saturday morning kids TV for me

Castor Archer

Jan 8, 2019
Avatar the Last Airbender. Game of Thrones wishes its finale even came close to that.

Breaking Bad also had a great finale, tied up tons of loose ends in a satisfying way without feeling forced.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Scrubs Season 8

(We don't talk about Season 9)

Angel

giphy.gif

Babylon 5

M*A*S*H

FlimsyAccomplishedAcornweevil-small.gif

Star Trek The Next Generation
Cowboy Bebop
Assassination Classroom

CHC

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Six Feet Under was amazing, I actually cried the day AFTER just thinking about it.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Spartacus would have been one of the all time greatest if not for the death of the lead actor Andy Whitfield after Season 1.

Breaking Bad's ending was strong.

Hannibal Season 2 has the single best season finale. The midseason conclusion of Season 3's first arc was very strong too. Hopefully the show returns, because where it leaves off at the end of Season 3 has incredible potential for a compelling new dynamic with the main characters.

Spartacus was always a far better show than it ever deserved to be.
Yep. Apart from Season 2 it's uncannily great. It has no business being so good.

New viewers should be warned that the first few episodes are very flawed and don't represent any of the eventual strengths of the show. The last two thirds of Season 1, and the prequel miniseries Gods of the Arena, is where it really shows its mettle.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Star Trek: TNG: Such a great tone to set for a send off.

Buffy: Completely whedonesque ending. In contrast I hated the Angel ending and am surprised so many people liked it, but maybe it was just because I was soured on most of the last season.

Six Feet Under: You could be having the best day and this will wreck you. So well done.

Friends
Scrubs (Season 9 doesn't exist)

These are good as well.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Scrubs not only had a good finale, but a good final season. Perfect bounce back after a couple seasons of just being okay. It was poignant without being overdone, and moved those characters forward believably and understandably. I respected the growth everyone experienced, and they all graduated from being flanderized jerkasses to being likable characters again. Beautiful stuff.

Deleted member 31923

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Sopranos. The ending is still discussed and debated, and will be forever. Other than that, The Shield, Six Feet Under, Breaking Bad, and Mad Men all that great endings.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Underrated pic: X-Men Evolution.

Even EMH copied the formula (to a much lesser extent).

Out of the shows I watched, The Middle, Gravity Falls, Person of Interest, Parks and Recreation Avatar and RPM come to mind.

Violet

Alt account
Banned
Feb 7, 2019
dc
Depends on what you mean. The final season? The final episode? Just the last note of the finale?

Anyways, a rough approximation combining all of those:

- Review
- The Knick
- Mad Men
- The Sopranos
- The Tatami Galaxy
- Neon Genesis Evangelion
- The Shield
- Devilman Crybaby
- Twin Peaks: The Return

shows with great near finales that fumbled at the finish line:

- Breaking Bad
- Girls

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Person of Interest finale. The season was rough overall because of the shortened season, but the episode is one of the most perfect finale I have ever seen.

BorkBork

Oct 25, 2017
<---- see Avatar.
"All Good Things..." - Star Trek TNG
"-30-" - The Wire
"Not Fade Away" - Angel
"What is Your Name?" - Twin Peaks the Return

Landford

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I love the ending of Battlestar Galactica

Twin Peaks The Return as well.

Crackhead_Bob

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
For me Six Feet Under for a multitude of reasons.

It was given a few extra minutes to its running time to allow it to breathe properly, and while many credit its closing moments, I felt that it had the benefit of coming off of a solid final season. But for me, the true ending was the third to last episode, when Nate was laid to rest.

Someone created a post complaining about TV shoes and movie writers who try so hard to be clever that they end up undermining their work. What I liked about Six Feet Under was that the writers weren't trying to be clever. They left few unresolved plots, and the ones that did go unanswered were done so in service to the plot. You never found out who killed Nate's first wife, but you do have an inkling, even though it's never given satisfying closure, and it plays out in an episode of the final season, where he struggles to come to terms with that all the while struggling with the moral dilemma of explaining to his daughter what happened to her mother.

The final season should really be a master class on how to do a final season of a TV series -- or at the very least how to do a finale that will satisfy most fans. They didn't write themselves into a wall by introducing too many new character or plot elements into the mix, and most of the secondary plots from the previous season were resolved by the middle of the final season. So instead of pissing away the entire season on nonsense that went nowhere, they could devote the rest of the season to the main plot, which was Nate's impending death and the fallout. Most other shows that I have seen waste so much valuable time and then have to shoe horn everything into the final two episodes. It's very frustrating and it happens all too often.

Lonestar

Roll Tahd, Pawl
Oct 25, 2017
The Shield still holds the top.

"Family Meeting..."

It and the episode before, are just jaw dropping. They were so gut wrenching, I never could get myself to rewatch the rest of the show ever since. Chiklis in the interrogation room, with CCH Pounder. A perfect scene.

Highly appreciate the amount of times Person of Interest pops up here. That ending still gives me sadness, just a great mix of acting, story, and music. While that bit is a licensed song (that show is probably the best at using licensed music that I've watched), the original score throughout the show, all the way to the ending, cemented to me that Ramin Djawadi is a premier composer, moreso than his GoT work. His GoT work, to me, got better once Person of Interest stopped taking his best stuff :p

Last edited:

Avantgarde

Oct 27, 2017
Black Sails, it felt good, it did justice to the characters' stories, it was respectful and could blend quite nicely into a Treasure Island (or a Rackham + Bonny adventures) spinoff.