• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which trilogy is best?

• Mass Effect 1, 2, 3

Votes: 945 55.0%
  • Dragon Age 1, 2, Inquisition

Votes: 47 2.7%
  • The Witcher 1, 2, 3

Votes: 411 23.9%
  • Fallout 3, New Vegas, 4

Votes: 66 3.8%
  • Elder Scrolls: Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim

Votes: 250 14.5%

• Total voters

fossi8

One Winged Slayer
Apr 22, 2018
No DKC?
i5kFtb.jpg

{Marvelous}

Jan 2, 2018
NV > All

I've never been a fan of Bethesda's internal output.

As far as trilogies go probably Mass Effect even though I can't seem to go back to them, maybe some day.

Deleted member 3208

Oct 25, 2017
Witcher easily. Each game improves and is a better experience than the last one.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
The answer is more likely Mass Effect since each game improved various elements from the previous and it tells 1 story so cohesively well.

I'm going to vote dragon age though, mostly because overall I spent more time in that world. The lore is impressive, the world interesting and rich and while it's not as cohesive or tight with a singular vision as Mass Effect, I enjoyed the variety it proposed.

So, Mass Effect is best trilogy while dragon age personally brought me the most enjoyment. (I loved Inquisition and Trespasser, had a stronger ending to me than ME3)

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Even with the ending of the third game, the ME trilogy definitely feels the most cohesive by far out of all the franchises listed. That isn't to say I don't adore the DA games, F:NV, and TW3, but yeah, easily the ME trilogy.

Spazerbeam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Arkham series is even closer I would say. The core shooting and even the art design is so different between the Mass Effects.

But Mass Effect is firstly about the Story and the gameplay second except it felt like 3 broke that rule and it also had odd continuity with your choices, sometimes fully downplaying, even ignoring the largest decisions you made such as the Councilor choice or the Collector Base choice and even the Rachni was reduced to dialogue flavor.

Somehow all the major choices that had a promised impact had zero impact and only the little choices we didn't think were going to be big actually mattered a lot in 3. Such a weird priority.

I agree with just about everything you said but I was specifically talking about the vote list there.
Most of those other ones either have really rough beginnings or a sharp decline in quality at the end.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
In my mind gaming wise it's probably among those games :

- Streets of Rage
- Warcraft
- Diablo
- Gobliiins/Gobliins 2/Goblins 3
- Turrican
- Soul Blader/Illusion of Time/Terranigma

selo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Witcher easily. All games were awesome/great when they came out for the time. ME the only real standout for me is the first game, it went downhill after that even if it did get more polished, same for Dragon Age.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
ME for sure, regardless on how you feel about the ending of ME3. Every other option has at least one stinker game.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
I'd have to say The Witcher for me. Games and story get better as they go, characters are well done and we care about them and it ends in a very satisfying way, especially with the dlc in there.

I wish I could say Mass Effect, but I really hated almost everything that happened with that series after the first one. I know people love 2, but I was so let down by it ultimately and don't even start me on 3.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You want a list war? I'll list war with you....

How has no one said Fallout 1 / Fallout 2 / Fallout New Vegas?

EVA UNIT 01

Oct 27, 2017
CA
Despite the fact I'll NEVER fully get over the ending..mass is the best goddamn trilogy in gaming and I dont believe well ever see a AAA RPG attempt that kind of character identity ever again.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
Out of the series I've played,
Fallout has a weak link with Fallout 3, while ES has a weak link with Oblivion.
The Witcher 1, from what I've played, isnt too hot either.

Halo is the best story-connected trilogy, while GTA 3D universe is the overall best.

jph139

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really kind of shocked that Mass Effect is doing so well. There's maybe a game and a half of good content there - as much as I love that series it's with a lot of caveats. It's not THAT far ahead of Dragon Age, which I think is universally considered a mixed bag as a franchise.

Next to the Witcher - even with the raw jank of the first game - neither of them really compare. Even if, personally, I like Dragon Age the best of the three.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Voted Mass Effect, best trilogy of a generation.

The true unlisted answer is probably Ace Attorney 1-3.

Torpedo Vegas

Oct 27, 2017
Parts Unknown.
Elder Scrolls for me. That is like 2200 hours of my life.

Mass Effect 2 pissed me off too much. Removed finding equipment and outfitting your part, skill tree cut in half, Wrex never to be a party member again

Last edited:

BlueJay

Oct 27, 2017
Ending aside, the Mass Effect trilogy was one of my favourite journeys in gaming. I haven't played anything like it since, and I'm hoping a studio will step up next-gen to give us a similar saga. I really miss the days of prime Bioware, they were something else.

The Argus

Oct 28, 2017
No GTA III, Vice City, San Andreas? Or III, IV, V options? Heck Revolver to Redemption to Redemption 2 is a hell of a franchise over 3 gens.

Regarding Witcher, 3 is clearly the best. 2 was a decent romp, which didn't age well, and 1 is pretty bad.

texhnolyze

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's between Mass Effect and The Witcher.

But when it comes to popularity poll like this, the one franchise that's available in more platforms should win by default.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
Out of those, Mass Effect, even if Witcher 3 and New Vegas are the strongest games listed there individually.

Of course, Metal Gear Solid 1-3 is actually the best trilogy though.

Deleted member 2533

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If we want to stretch what constitutes an RPG, then S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC/CS/CoP.

And even though it wouldn't get as many votes, Shadowrun Returns/Dragonfall/Hong Kong.

I'm still comfortable with ME. Although the STALKER games are my favs, they're less RPG than the other options on this list.

And if we want to go old school, Ultima VI/VII:BG/VII:SI

nrtn

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
As a trilogy I think that Mass Effect was the most consistent of them.

Each game felt like a natural and great evolution of the game before.

All the others games series are great, but as a trilogy, to me, it's definitely Mass Effect.

Castamere

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, Mass Efect, besides the last 30 min of 3, and 2 effectively being filler, they're all masterpieces.

Dragon age 2 was trash, Witcher 1 wasn't good, Fallout 4 is so bad writing wise, Arkham Knight is bad writing wise, Skyrim is pretty bleh.

GTA Ps2 trilogy would be one.

How about...
Ratchet & Clank
Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando
Ratchet & Clank: Up Your Arsenal

hersheyfan

Oct 25, 2017
Manila, Philippines
The other series have individual games better than those in the Mass Effect series (ex. Fallout New Vegas, Witcher III), but taken as a whole Mass Effect Trilogy runs the table with the other choices.

Sirank

Oct 27, 2017
Witcher 3 is basically a next level Mass Effect style game only much better in just about every way and easily the strongest of all the games imo. Witcher 2 was very very good but also kind of stand alone and I still haven't played Witcher 1. I gotta put it as incomplete for me atm.

So with that said my personal trilogy ranking would be:
1. Mass Effect - The series that I had the most connection to, loved just about everything about it. Sci-fi Space operas with cool aliens and diverse planets and cultures are definitely my wheelhouse. Plus it felt the most like it was made to be one big overarching story told in a trilogy of games.
2. Fallout - Another one in my wheelhouse with the 50s alternate future. Kind of in between Mass Effect and Elder Scrolls in that you get a little more memorable characters like the former and the living world of the latter.
3. Elder Scrolls - Kind of a love hate thing for me, the weakest when it comes to compelling hand crafted stories and memorable characters but the best for just fucking around and dynamic systems for getting immersed in a game and making your own stories.
4. Dragon Age - Really enjoyed them but just didn't stick with me like the others in the long run.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Mass Effect easily. All 3 have their owns strengths and weaknesses, but still all fantastic games.