• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
I know that both games are from Falcom and beyond that, they have barely anything in common.

I'll be playing both with a controller, no matter what.

Please refrain from posting single line responses with only the title of one of the games. I would like more elaborated answers.
I already own them, so I just need to choose.

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
Xanadu Next is pure Falcom greatness. It plays fine with a controller as long as you use Steam Input. I put in probably 20+ hrs with my DS4. Just make sure the right stick emulates the joystick mouse, maybe put camera rotation on the bumpers (scroll up and down), and you should be good.

It's up there with those Ys titles from that era for me. Great, great game.

Theswweet

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
California
Xanadu Next, it's the good one.

All jokes aside - Xanadu Next is the much better game, and is one of the best games in Falcom's catalog. Not nearly enough people have played it.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I played Tokyo Xanadu ex+ and I enjoyed it well enough. I thought the combat was pretty simple and disappointing tho so keep that in mind. I also didn't care for the story that much until a certain event happened in the game but I enjoyed the characters and their interactions.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Hard to answer since they have nothing in common. Do you feel more like a Ys-ish action experience, or a Diablo-esque dungeon crawler? Tokyo is also way more 'modern anime' for lack of a better term.

Last edited:

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I just played a bit of Xanadu Next and stopped since I thought it was a bit too grindy for me at that time (wasn't looking for something like that at the time). Would be perfect for a handheld or GPDWin or whatever.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Xanadu Next can be played with a regular controller with some tinkering, even then I was still using the occasional keyboard tap (more because I was lazy though).
Next grabs you pretty early, it's a decent game. I should go back and finish it.

Tokyo Xanadu I only started a couple of months ago, haven't put that much time into it. It's ok, battles are a little simple, default control scheme is odd but it's completely customisable.
It's also anime as fuck.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Hard to answer since they have nothing in common. Do you feel more like a Ys-ish action experience, or a Diablo-esque dungeon crawler? Xanadu is also way more 'modern anime' for lack of a better term.
I assume you mean "Tokyo Xanadu" is more modern anime.

But yeah, these games have next to nothing in common beyond the name and being under the very broad RPG umbrella.

IMO Xanadu Next is very much a mouse and keyboard game, seems like it would be really clunky with a controller. If that's a big factor Tokyo Xanadu might be the better option since it's more of your typical console Japanese RPG.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Xanadu Next, so you can get the silly grind keys and backtrack mechanism out of the way.

Deleted member 11413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Xanadu Next is the better game by far. One of Falcom's best games, in fact. The atmosphere, the level design, the progression systems...everything is fantastic. Tokyo Xanadu is good, like every Falcom game, but it's one of their weakest games overall imo.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I assume you mean "Tokyo Xanadu" is more modern anime.

But yeah, these games have next to nothing in common beyond the name and being under the very broad RPG umbrella.

IMO Xanadu Next is very much a mouse and keyboard game, seems like it would be really clunky with a controller. If that's a big factor Tokyo Xanadu might be the better option since it's more of your typical console Japanese RPG.
Nah, it plays great with a controller. I've played XN multiple times that way.
Xanadu Next, so you can get the silly grind keys and backtrack mechanism out of the way.
You do not have to grind for keys, between keys dropping and using the knife to carve bones you will have plenty.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Ive never played xanadu next.

Ill say that tokyo is like a lite version of the cold steel games(with hac n slash gameplay instead of turn based) if you have played any of them. Near everything about it is just ok and itll proably test your patience for anime tropes.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Next is overall a legit great game, and Tokyo is arguably Falcom's worst game in years.

Do you want to explore, or deal with a frequently lengthy story. Do you want actual level design or the worst "designed for Vita" style dungeons?

Next has aged less than gracefully in some ways (it has some of older Ys games traits of sometimes feeling a bit grindy with how much a level up helps) but it also ends up feeling fairly unique. There just aren't many games like it being made, while Tokyo feels like worse versions of Falcoms own franchises (and those themselves are often derivative).

And, maybe this is just me, but boy howdy do I never wanna play /watch a story about dorks that belong to some secret society fighting off an evil only the chosen few can see in modern times again.

Last edited:

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Xanadu Next is great and doesn't overstay its welcome. It's only like 15 hours long . Tokyo Xanadu is good but has pacing issues.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Xanadu Next is an interesting mix of Diablo style combat, Dark Souls atmosphere, and metroidvania progression. It's a bit dated at this point, but it's still a very unique experience and one of Falcom's better games.

Tokyo Xanadu is basically strictly inferior to every Ys game released in at least the past 15 years. The gameplay is pretty boring, the dungeon design is nonexistent, and the story is pretty much just a collection of bad modern anime tropes (and even if you like that sort of thing and want to play it for the story, Trails of Cold Steel is easily the superior choice). It's also about 5 times longer than it should be. It feels like a prototype for Ys 8, and not a very good one at that. It's still okay if you like Ys and have played literally every game in the franchise, but otherwise I wouldn't really recommend it.

Out of the two, Xanadu Next is actually a good game, so I'd recommend that first.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Never played Next but from what I understood it has nothing to do with Tokyo Xanadu. I heard it is better though.

Tokyo Xanadu was really fun. The gameplay was simple but fun. The music is awesome as expected of Falcom. The game is Falcom's take on Persona so you have "social links" but it is a bit different. The level design for the game is mostly linear corridors and it is barely different. The game also has some really good mini games too like the arcade card game (I spent a lot of time playing that!) and some mini games like skateboarding where it is very simple and fun for a few minutes.

The story is fun. It isn't that deep or special but the cast is fun enough that it is enjoyable for that. And as a whole it is anime as hell so anime infact that each chapter has an intro and outro. It also doesn't have any creepy moments that I remember like most anime games coming out these days so it is good in that regard.

It was good enough that I double dipped. I got the Vita and PS4 version and I loved it once again on PS4 cause it has more story with the fun cast.

Last edited:

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah it's Xanadu Next.
I was a beta-tester on the PC version, so I spent a fair amount of time with Tokyo Xanadu. Minus a few exceptions, Falcom's forte has never been story and characters. Unfortunately, that's most of what Tokyo Xanadu has to offer. The combat is sometimes decent, but the dungeons are just plain bad.
(Although, I'll admit I have a soft spot for Rion Kugayama)

Xanadu Next is a much tighter and focused adventure. I'd say more, but in the interest of my sanity, I'll just link to a review I wrote:

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
I honestly thought Tokyo Xanadu was a much more fun game with a fantastic OST, really enjoyed the story and the characters a lot. The combat's fun enough but it's basically just a clunkier Ys. Xanadu Next is still great though. I don't think I've ever disliked a Falcom game.

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
Next is def. a good game. I played it with a Neo Geo pad and it worked flawlessly on the patched JP version.

still didn't try Tokyo. I own it but i kind of feel down after the Cold Steel games. I hope it's at least okay.

arcadepc

Banned
Dec 28, 2019
I'd recommend Tokyo Xanadu only if you want something like Persona but without a turn-based battle system

Totally different game from Xanadu Next

OP
OP
Aru

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
Thanks everyone. Based on your advice, I decided on Xanadu Next. Played through the first dungeon. Pretty good I guess.

I miss the old action-RPG games from Falcom but this doesn't scratch the same itch as the older Ys games. Doesn't mean it's bad, just different.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
27 replies and no mention of "Zwei".

or of Vagrant Story. FOR SHAME.

Next was my GOTY in 2016 (slow, disappointing year for me but still). It's very precise and bespoke but there's a mindset to enjoying what it's providing if you're willing.

Now lets talk music. XN is a sophsiticated waltzy dream in the vein of Persona 1, and TX is top notch sophisticated D&B/Electronica.

Dark_Castle

Oct 27, 2017
Xanadu Next is great, not interested in Tokyo Xanadu. Wish Falcom would make a sequel to Xanadu Next.

Lindsay

Nov 4, 2017
idk about Xanadu Next, but Tokyo Xanadu is the very definition of generic jrpg. Like it not only has zero originality in its story, characters, setting, combat, the way the games progression is laid out, an heck it even re-uses assets from Trails/Ys (not that re-using assets is bad but it speaks to the whole games generic-ness). I plowed through to the end of it not caring about the story/characters at all on the back of the turn-brain-off combat, which is a thing I can get into, but thats it. Play Tokyo first ta get the bland outta the way an then play the apparently much better Next, next!

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I also have to say that I never went back to play Tokyo Xanadu's new epilogue story. I was kinda done with the game after the main story.

Deleted member 11413

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
27 replies and no mention of "Zwei".

or of Vagrant Story. FOR SHAME.

Next was my GOTY in 2016 (slow, disappointing year for me but still). It's very precise and bespoke but there's a mindset to enjoying what it's providing if you're willing.

Now lets talk music. XN is a sophsiticated waltzy dream in the vein of Persona 1, and TX is top notch sophisticated D&B/Electronica.

OP didn't ask about Zwei though.

OP
OP
Aru

Aru

Oct 28, 2017
I'm kinda curious about Zwei. But maybe at a later time. I don't own any of the Zwei games.