• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Spring Man, Sukapon, and Ashley. Probably won't be the most popular picks, but they would all bring something interesting to the roster.

Badge Arcade Bunny would also have been a cool out-there pick a la Wii Fit Trainer. Lyn and Krystal both would have been great picks around the time of Brawl but I think their opportunity to be playable has probably passed.

EDIT: Shit I forgot about Bomberman! He's maybe the most glaring one along with Spring Man, but I'll stick with my original picks just because I want Sukapon and Ashley to get some votes.

Bard

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Isaac
Sukapon
Black Knight

Honorable mentions:
Lyn
Spring Man
Samurai Goroh
Ray Mk. III / Saki Amamiya (as the lost ATs that I'm still salty over)

Mark1

Oct 30, 2017
In no particular order:
  • Waluigi
  • Bomberman
  • Shovel Knight
I would also be happy with Shadow/Knuckles, Isaac, Midna and Skull Kid

Psychonaut

Jan 11, 2018
Bomberman - Because I assumed that crazy shit like Banjo-Kazooie was off the table, Bomberman was my absolute, number one most wanted character when Ultimate was first revealed. He's got a hell of a history with Nintendo and multiplayer gaming in general, and the man is a damn icon.
Ashley - WarioWare is one of my favorite game series, and Ashley is far and away the best character in those games. Luckily her theme has been a fixture on Wario stages, but she's a pretty cool character in her own right and deserves to show up here.
Rodin - Slightly edging out Shadow the Hedgehog is Rodin. Even though I think the Sonic franchise is the SEGA IP most deserving of a second representative, Rodin is simply far too compelling as a character. He's an absolute killer and he would bring a splash much needed color to the Smash roster.

Runners up, ordered: Shadow, Shovel Knight, Waluigi

Feb 22, 2018
Shovel Knight - Being the only weapon wielding user whose weapon is a shovel is quite unique, oh and ofc he would be the defacto choice to go with when representing the relationship between Nintendo and Indies.
Bomberman - The past history for the franchise on Nintendo platforms speaks for itself, but also, just the sheer fact that Bomberman R was a launch exclusive for the Switch and all the unexpected post launch support it got.
Samurai Goroh - F-Zero needs more representation, but also, he is supposedly a Samurai right? Having a sword wielder who uses real world Samurai techniques would be pretty cool I think.

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
**As of post #105**

1. Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight) 26

1. Isaac (Golden Sun) 26

3. Bomberman (Bomberman) 22

4. Waluigi (Mario) 21
5. Skull Kid (The Legend of Zelda) 18
6. Spring Man (ARMS) 14
6. Alucard (Castlevania) 14
8. Midna (The Legend of Zelda) 13
9. Zero (Mega Man) 11
10. Ashley (WarioWare) 8
10. Rodin (Bayonetta) 8

Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle) 7
Lyn (Fire Emblem) 5
Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic the Hedgehog) 5
Tiki (Fire Emblem) 5
Gray Fox (Metal Gear Solid) 4
Akira (Virtua Fighter) 3
Dr. Wright (SimCity) 3
Dillon (Dillon's Rolling Western) 3
Knuckles the Echidna (Sonic the Hedgehog) 3
Squid Sisters (Splatoon) 3
Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight) 3
Krystal (Star Fox) 2
Arcade Bunny (Nintendo Badge Arcade) 2
Black Knight (Fire Emblem) 2
Chain Chomp (Mario) 2
Starfy (Starfy) 2
Vince (Art Academy) 2
Burrowing Snagret (Pikmin) 1
Color TV-Game 15 (Color TV-Game) 1
Dr. Kawashima (Brain Age) 1
Flies and Hand (Mario) 1
Jeff (Earthbound) 1
Kapp'n (Animal Crossing) 1
Moon (The Legend of Zelda) 1
Mother Brain (Metroid) 1
Nikki (Swapnote) 1
Nintendog (Nintendogs) 1
Samurai Goroh (F-Zero) 1
Sable Prince (Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru) 1
Starman (Earthbound) 1
Yuri Kozukata (Fatal Frame) 1
Wily Capsule (Mega Man) 1
Andross (Star Fox)
Chef Kawasaki (Kirby)
Devil (Devil World)
Ghirahim (The Legend of Zelda)
Ghosts (Pac-Man)
Guile (Street Fighter)
Hammer Bro (Mario)
Klaptrap (Donkey Kong)
Knuckle Joe (Kirby)
Metroid (Metroid)
Nightmare (Kirby)
Phosphora (Kid Icarus)
Rathalos (Monster Hunter)
Riki (Xenoblade)
Sheriff (Sheriff)
Thwomp (Mario)

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bomberman - Icon of HudsonSoft and a staple of 90s gaming.
Shovel Knight - Indie gaming icon who has found himself guest appearances in other fighters.
Alucard - Already was largely considered by Sakurai, but he opted to use Simon and Richter did to their major role in the series. The AT already features a pretty heavy moveset.

Lucas M. Thomas

Editor-in-Chief of Nintendo Force Magazine
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
Kentucky
Nikki!

Then roll some dice for the remaining two spots to choose between Waluigi, Isaac, Shovel Knight and Bomberman.

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
Including Assist Trophies that are not in Ultimate: Bomberman, Spring Man and Tingle.

Infantry and Tanks would be up there too, but just them in sprite form isn't really conducive to an "upgrade" to playable status.

Or if we just want to be silly, Chef Kawasaki (but only if he has his Ed Wynn 4Kids dub voice), Prince of Sablé and Phosphora. Though Thwomp would be pretty accessible to beginner Kirby players.

No idea why Sakurai would get rid of something like the Advance Wars assist trophy :( You got a third vote?

Ashley (WarioWare)
Hammer Bro (Mario)
Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight)
Squid Sisters (Splatoon)
Waluigi (Mario)

Waluigi is an icon. Hammer Bro is a long-running Nintendo character with a different weapon and movement style than what already exists on the roster, and you could easily combine him with fire bro and boomerang bro. Ashley is just grand.

Hammer Bro would indeed be cool, but Piranha Plant somehow took his spot! (lol). You able to narrow it to three?

Isaac, Bomberman, and the Advance Wars assist trophy that was removed for reasons beyond my comprehension.

Yepp, I just don't get it! You got a third vote?

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
ashley, isaac, yuri kozukata
thanks for reminding me that Saki was cut from the game

Giever

Oct 25, 2017
Bomberman is probably one of the most deserving. He's very iconic, would fit great in Smash, could have a pretty unique moveset, and isn't getting much love elsewhere.

Alucard is hype as heck, and I just want him purely for selfish reasons. It doesn't really make sense to add him. I want him in the same way I wanted Cloud, haha.

Finally, pretend that Geno has an Assist Trophy and add him.

Apr 12, 2018
Metroid, Midna, Samurai Goroh
because I like draining my opponents energy, teleporting them into oblivion and being muscular and fat

OP
OP
Waluigilicious
Oct 27, 2017
**As of post #134**

1. Shovel Knight (Shovel Knight) 32

2. Isaac (Golden Sun) 31

3. Bomberman (Bomberman) 30

4. Waluigi (Mario) 23
5. Skull Kid (The Legend of Zelda) 22
6. Alucard (Castlevania) 20
7. Midna (The Legend of Zelda) 16
8. Spring Man (ARMS) 15
9. Zero (Mega Man) 14
10. Ashley (WarioWare) 11

Takamaru (The Mysterious Murasame Castle) 9
Rodin (Bayonetta) 8
Lyn (Fire Emblem) 7
Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic the Hedgehog) 6
Dillon (Dillon's Rolling Western) 5
Tiki (Fire Emblem) 5
Gray Fox (Metal Gear Solid) 4
Akira (Virtua Fighter) 4
Knuckles the Echidna (Sonic the Hedgehog) 4
Samurai Goroh (F-Zero) 4
Yuri Kozukata (Fatal Frame) 4
Dr. Wright (SimCity) 3
Nikki (Swapnote) 3
Squid Sisters (Splatoon) 3
Starfy (Starfy) 3
Sukapon (Joy Mech Fight) 3
Krystal (Star Fox) 2
Arcade Bunny (Nintendo Badge Arcade) 2
Black Knight (Fire Emblem) 2
Chain Chomp (Mario) 2
Jeff (Earthbound) 2
Metroid (Metroid) 2
Sable Prince (Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru) 2
Vince (Art Academy) 2
Burrowing Snagret (Pikmin) 1
Color TV-Game 15 (Color TV-Game) 1
Dr. Kawashima (Brain Age) 1
Flies and Hand (Mario) 1
Kapp'n (Animal Crossing) 1
Ghirahim (The Legend of Zelda) 1
Moon (The Legend of Zelda) 1
Mother Brain (Metroid) 1
Nintendog (Nintendogs) 1
Phosphora (Kid Icarus) 1
Rathalos (Monster Hunter) 1
Starman (Earthbound) 1
Wily Capsule (Mega Man) 1
Andross (Star Fox)
Chef Kawasaki (Kirby)
Devil (Devil World)
Ghosts (Pac-Man)
Guile (Street Fighter)
Hammer Bro (Mario)
Klaptrap (Donkey Kong)
Knuckle Joe (Kirby)
Nightmare (Kirby)
Riki (Xenoblade)
Sheriff (Sheriff)
Thwomp (Mario)

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
Unfortunately the whole point of this is that these designs are in Ultimate ready to go, and Sakurai has the rights to use them for this game. Let me know what your vote is.
I see, well, in that case Bomberman, Isaac and Ashley. If we aren't getting any Rhyhtm Paradise content, might as well get a Wario Ware rep. It's the closest thing avaliable :)

Spring-Loaded

Oct 27, 2017
Krystal, Rodin, Midna

A staff user would be cool, another magic user would be cool, and a magic hand user would be cool

Kid Heart

Oct 25, 2017
Give me my Edgy Hedgy. Shadow would be super easy to do too, since you could just use Sonic as a baseline with maybe some minor tweaks to differentiate him if you wanted.

Runner ups would be Issac and Ashley. I'd put Ray Mk III instead of Ashley if I could, but he hasn't been around since brawl, so no dice.