• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Based on my preferences below, what should I consider getting?

• Switch

Votes: 394 41.7%
  • PS4

Votes: 507 53.7%
  • XBox

Votes: 43 4.6%

• Total voters

dlauv

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
PS4 at the moment. More JRPGs and all of the indies that are on Switch + more. More power, comparative price. But you'll be missing out on BotW, so Switch is a close close second recommendation. Switch is gonna get a lot or releases this year too.

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I would have said Xbox because of game pass and backward compatibility, but your post reads more like a ps4/switch.

Worth keeping in mind that next gen consoles are rumored for 2020.

You can't really go wrong with any choice. Good luck!

Aftermath

Oct 27, 2017
PS5 is likely to come before the next Nintendo Console, so if you jump onboard the Switch now, it will last you a bit longer.

Retro

PS4 doesn't do PS1 games, but it does do a handful of PS2 games via digital, does some ps3 games via streaming.

Switch only does Nes games at the moment and only if you Sub to Online Service - approx 30 games, but should have Snes and more in the future if your interested.

Xbox

Xbox OG (small handfull), Xbox 360 (quite a few) downloadable via digital or you can put in your discs - if available on the Compatibility list.

Current Games

I think sometimes the 3rd Party games are a bit better on a ps4 Pro/Xbox One X

But if you like Portable you can play in Handheld mode, or you can play them onscreen on the TV best of both worlds.

I'm not even a Zelda fan but I was impressed with BOTW, I think as a Zelda fan you'd like it.

OP
OP
Rivenblade

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Unless you want to play videogames outside of your home get a PS4. Such an awesome system with a ton of games. Switch has some cool games but really shitty graphic capabilities so if you don't want to play outside the house I can't recommend it compared to the other consoles.

Never been big on graphics, and I think Switch games look just fine. Especially indie stuff and sprite-based games. Was playing Mario Kart Double Dash on GameCube yesterday with some family and thought that looked great, sooo... :)

greenwell

Jan 12, 2018
Get yourself a Switch. It seems more suited to your tastes and you can always pick PS4 or even a PS5 later.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
I'd recommend a Switch if it's in your budget and because you have kids also being portable is a huge plus. However, I found that gaming is a lot cheaper on the PS4 plus the library is huge.

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
The Switch is a great console if you are a parent. Trust me... I love games, but once I got married and my daughter was born, I didn't have time for games anymore.

Then the Switch was released and I was able to play again. Ideal for a quick play in the bed or on the couch while taking care of the kids.

Oct 27, 2017
They all offer unique features at this point. PS4 has the best exclusives, Xbox X has a 4k player, backwards compatibility, gamepass, and it's quiet, and Switch has portability and of course Nintendo games. I started with the PS4 and ended up with all 3.

In your scenario I guess I'd go Switch. This way you or your kids can play while someone watches the tv.

matimeo

UI/UX Game Industry Veteran
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
For dipping your toes back in I would say Switch. See how that goes then pick up another console to compliment.

Just seems the flexibility and alignment with most of your tastes, Switch offers with portability makes sense for someone looking to dip their toes back in.

Keyouta

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Get a PS4 now and a Switch later once it's library grows more. All the Xbox games you listed are on PlayStation. It's cheaper and you can get more games at better discounts.

Driver

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Never been big on graphics, and I think Switch games look just fine. Especially indie stuff and sprite-based games. Was playing Mario Kart Double Dash on GameCube yesterday with some family and thought that looked great, sooo... :)

My biggest complaint about Switch is graphics so if you're cool with that I can't see you being disappointed one. You will like miss some 3rd party games but there is plenty to play on Switch, especially if youre in to Indies.

Oct 25, 2017
MĂ©xico
You guys are talking like the Switch has Wii-like graphics.

First party games on the Switch are very stunning visually (specially because the strong art direction). And almost all games run at 60fps. Nintendo games are more visually appealing than a lot of Sony and Microsoft games.

ContraWars

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I still would get an Xbox One S and Gamepass. It is cheap. It has most of the new stuff the PS4 offers. It can play last gen games you missed out on.

One of the best Metroidvania games since SOTN is Ori and the Blind Forest.

It's not ideal, but it offers much more than people here let on, especially if you missed last gen.

If graphics don't matter so much then you shouldn't skip out on older stuff like Witcher 2, Fable, Fable 2, Morrowind, Oblivion, KOTOR, KOTOR 2, Jade Empire, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Fallout 3, New Vegas, etc.

Jun 17, 2018
I'd say get both but if I had to pick one it'd be PS4, the games selection is stunning. Plus sooooo many great games can be had for $20 or less.

Dec 21, 2017
Xbox one X is the obvious answer. You missed out on last gen. Xbox is the only way to play it.

Everyone choosing PS4 and Switch aren't seeing the big picture.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
PS4 would have the best variety of games for you. Massive library with a lot you can pick up for dirt cheap. Once you've got your fix there you could look at what the Switch offers.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Switch is the obvious choice here.

• best console hands down for platformers and metroidvanias
  • solid JRPG lineup, with several prominent exclusives, more on the way, and ports of other biggies (DQXI, likely P5) in the works
  • Breath of the Wild
  • Nintendo games
  • basically all of the games you like from your list in the OP

Era will vote PS4 as usual, but that's really not the best option for you.

Last edited:

AniHawk

No Fear, Only Math
Oct 25, 2017
if you like japanese games, platformers, and zelda, that's basically the switch.

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
It sounds like you're a fan of Nintendo games.
If you like Tetris, there's also puyo puyo Tetris on switch which is quite fun. Also has DQXI and a slew of FF games coming (FFXV is super overrated imo), as well as the next fire emblem and Pokemon games this year
That said, you're gonna miss out on AAA games, though if you have a capable PC, Switch + PC is the best possible combination

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Based on your post OP switch seems like a no brainer. You listed Nintendo and Zelda specifically and switch is getting pretty good 3rd party support too.

You're gonna love being able to play portably too. If a TV you use is taken up you just undock and play anywhere. Then take it with you on plane rides or public transportation.