• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I think Bloodstained Switch has some very real issues that absolutely need to be addressed, but as someone whose sole experience with the game was with the Switch version, I don't think it's quite the borderline unplayable mess people make it out to be.

I felt this way as well, but then I double-dipped on PS4 during a recent sale and it really feels and looks like a final build compared to what Switch is offering, even in its current 1.04 form. Night and day difference.

B. Spaceman

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Spain
A Hat in Time looks pretty rough. I regret buying it honestly, even if the game itself is really fun and charming. I didn't have a problem with other games like Doom or Spyro Trilogy

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Wouldnt it make more sense to ask just for the good and quality ports that are worth owning ? Over 50m units and thousands of games later there are plenty of games with average at best performance.

Worth having based on your personal interest seems like a better approach than what to avoid with such a massive library and so many different expectations across the players.

waugh

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Feb 21, 2020
Performance is rough on Dragon Quest Builders games, best on PS4 IMO.

This is why asking for a definitive list is a fools errand. We all have different standards. I've played both Dragon Quest Builders 1 and 2, to me they both played like a dream. Though I play a lot in handheld so I am willing to accept a downgrade to some degree.

Anyone who cares about performance in their games is probably best sticking to first party Switch titles and then getting third parties on PS4 Pro/Xbox One X or PC.

Arithmetician

Oct 9, 2019
Dark Souls Remastered has the stupidest way by far I've ever seen to ruin a port of a video game.

In menus confirm is bound to B and cancel is bound to A. This is a far bigger issue to me than it sounds like.

I actually got a refund, it was that terrible.

I remember people complaining about this when the game launched and thinking to myself "lmao, how stupid do you need to be for that to be a problem?"

I was very, very wrong. It's absolutely awful and makes me really annoyed constantly.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Bloodstained.

Do not touch that game on Switch.

Also apparently Dark Souls has really fucked up audio.
Maybe they fixed this with a patch, not sure.

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018
re: Bloodstained, didn't the most recent patch help it out a bit?

The impression I got was that performance was reasonably stable if you don't mind 30fps, but input lag, load times and bugs were the biggest issue.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
The Sexy Brutale - Horrible, horrible load times, really disrupts the flow.

And yes, this is what you have to look out for in general. A lot of ports run well, but if the load times are increased tenfold it's just not worth it, at least not in games that frequently have to load.

Minky

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Made the mistake of getting RiME on Switch and ignoring all the negative feedback. It was somehow worse than others had advertised, the devs actually put out a big patch meant to fix it but I honestly can't see the difference.
Oh and Sonic Forces, but that game is shite regardless of the system you play it on. Same goes for Yooka Laylee.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Needlessly snipey. It wasn't well advertised at all, I only found out the game had it last week!
Was not meant to be snipey, it just reads that way. Anyway, I honestly recommend to people that want to be up to date on such things to frequent the monthly eshop thread more. I am quite certain it was mentioned several times there when it came out, people in that thread keep tabs of such things including changes, it;s the one thread I consistently follow for Switch game news beyond first party.

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
To be honest it might be useful making a chart of games with known bad issues, framerates and other undesirable crap.

Help advise people.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Made the mistake of getting RiME on Switch and ignoring all the negative feedback. It was somehow worse than others had advertised, the devs actually put out a big patch meant to fix it but I honestly can't see the difference.
Oh and Sonic Forces, but that game is shite regardless of the system you play it on. Same goes for Yooka Laylee.
Haven't played Yooka Laylee but I seem to recall reading that a lot of issues that were in the version on other platforms were actually fixed in the Switch version which came out later (?)

The Sega Genesis collection sucks, it has input lag. Avoid.
Someone here said the problem was in all versions, that it was not Switch specific.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Dark Souls Remastered has the stupidest way by far I've ever seen to ruin a port of a video game.
In menus confirm is bound to B and cancel is bound to A. This is a far bigger issue to me than it sounds like.
The real problem is Nintendo labeling the buttons wrong.
Of all the things that could be a problem in a port, this seems really minor.
Sure, they should patch in the option to switch (and Nintendo should have system-level options for remapping controls) but that wouldn't stop me playing it. Playing through games like the early Metal Gear Solids and other Japanese PlayStation games was never a problem for me.

It's not nearly as big of an issue as, say, Nintendo failing to provide inverted controls for Luigi's Mansion 3, unplayably bad performance, or significant input lag in many ports.
The input lag is the one that kills many games for me. There are many games I would probably have bought to play portably if it were not for the input lag in the Switch version. I wonder what it is that causes this to be such a common issue.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Assassin's Creed Rebel Collection. I'd heard how great these ports are, but man do I hate playing these games on the Switch.

I feel like I'm playing a cheap portable version. Performance just doesn't feel good to me, and controls feel clunky.

Bad Dudes. Old ass arcade game plays like dog shit. I don't know if it's the Switch itself or what, but avoid it.

I disagree on the Dark Souls mention. I thought it played well, and that's what matters most to me.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
The Lego City port was real bad as I remember.
The Lego City port was much better than the Wii U original, but the loading times and framerate in big outdoor areas are still pretty rough.
Yeah it was very good actually, here's the DF video.
youtu.be

Switch vs PS4/Xbox One! Lego City Undercover Comparison!

The full Lego City Undercover comparison and frame-rate test - you'll be surprised by how the Switch manages to punch above its weight on this one. Subscribe...

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
When i had a switch i would only buy 1st party games or games i realy wanted on the go. Otherwise every 3rd party game i rather have on my PC due to much better visuals/performance/mods.

It depends on what your standards are for a bad port. I wouldn't want to play Overwatch on anything less than 60 fps

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Bloodstained is the game that made me stop playing Switch ports.
Game looks like muddy shit and was definitely not "fixed" with the last patch.

Deleted member 8752

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How's No no Kuni on Switch? I know it's available at higher res and framerate on PS4 but is it at least on par with the PS3 version?

I haven't seen performance analysis anywhere on it.

Blackpuppy

Oct 28, 2017
The Turok ports are also pretty embarrassing. 720p and can't maintain 60FPS? Come on!! They're N64/1998 PC ports FFS!!!

Being banned, I don't know when you'll see this, but the developers at Nightdive have been very open as to why the Turok ports on Switch dip below 60 fps. In short, the engine is very inefficient since it seemingly has a ton of draw calls which overwhelms the CPU. Expanding the fog makes the number of draw calls grow even more. The CPU in the Switch is just too weak to handle it at a steady framerate.

But yeah, lazy devs, m'I'rite?! /s

Christo750

May 10, 2018
I finished Bloodstained off the launch build. It wasn't great, but it was more than playable and the game was still incredibly enjoyable, and was my second favorite game of the year last year.

MK11 is the only third party port I'd encountered thus far that I wish I could get a refund on. Almost every part of it is really underwhelming.

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Worth stating also that YMMV for what constitutes a "bad port". You've got people on this board claiming Doom and Witcher 3 are crimes against humanity, when actually they're incredibly impressive efforts.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
How's No no Kuni on Switch? I know it's available at higher res and framerate on PS4 but is it at least on par with the PS3 version?

I haven't seen performance analysis anywhere on it.
Switch version is a straight port of the PS3 version

PS4 is the remaster iirc

Haven't heard anything bad about it on Switch but maybe someone had more info
Worth stating also that YMMV for what constitutes a "bad port". You've got people on this board claiming Doom and Witcher 3 are crimes against humanity, when actually they're incredibly impressive efforts.
Honestly with a broad question like that it attracts the shitposters like flies. Several comments are quite borderline console Warring and you have people vaguely remembering a bad port that was actually very good (Lego City)

Oct 27, 2017
Being banned, I don't know when you'll see this, but the developers at Nightdive have been very open as to why the Turok ports on Switch dip below 60 fps. In short, the engine is very inefficient since it seemingly has a ton of draw calls which overwhelms the CPU. Expanding the fog makes the number of draw calls grow even more. The CPU in the Switch is just too weak to handle it at a steady framerate.

But yeah, lazy devs, m'I'rite?! /s

Inefficient engine or not, it's still kinda hilarious to think of a current gen console struggling to run a port of a 20+ year old game :p

Aprikurt

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 29, 2017
Switch version is a straight port of the PS3 version

PS4 is the remaster iirc

Honestly with a broad question like that it attracts the shitposters like flies. Several comments are quite borderline console Warring and you have people vaguely remembering a bad port that was actually very good (Lego City)
Oh for sure. We might as well have a "Good, Bad and the Ugly Switch Ports OT" where we reference reviews/things like Digital Foundry.

Nano-Nandy

Mar 26, 2019
Pretty much.
Not liking a game or how it looks considering the hardware doesn't make it unplayable or to avoid.

Like a port to avoid? Ark. Doesn't run well and is not even supported with any updates or DLC/expansions. They should've ported the mobile version in that case.

Now PixArk is great and supported well. Different teams though.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Quest Builders Switch versions are great, don't listen to some of the nonsense here. The framerate is clearly better on PC but it's largely fine enough on Switch. For both games.

Castform

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Florida, United States
Bloodstained got fixed the last time i searched it. Didn't try it, had to sell my switch, but seems like it works as it should now.

Also, A Hat in Time was a bit trashy port when it released. Idk if it got fixed, though.

It's still really rough in places with frame rate plummets. I played through it recently and wish that I would have known about that issue going in.

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
The crash trilogy has such bad input lag I wound up trading it in for the PS4 version.

newdivide

Oct 7, 2019

First hour is annoying, then you get used to it. The port is great and the game too