• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ST or PT?

• Sequel trilogy

Votes: 1,062 59.1%
  • Prequel trilogy

Votes: 771 42.9%

• Total voters

4Tran

Nov 4, 2017
After watching TFA I lost all enthusiasm in Star Wars films. I wanted TLJ to be good so I gave it a chance when it came out on Netflix, but it managed to lose me about 2 minutes into the film. The Sequels are just really bad.

DixieDean82

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's the point of a poll if multiple votes are allowed.

Important note for the thread, just because you grew up with something does not make it good.

SJRB

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This is like comparing a rotting apple with a rotting orange.

They're both terrible but for wildly different reasons.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Played Vader Immortal today. I can't imagine how Lucas could seriously see the Anakin he wrote for the PT be the same person as Vader. Even that game properly conveys who Vader is.

He is not similar in any way shape or form. It is literally a different person. Anakin would have had to be wise, cunning, knowledgeable, someone willing to study and master all aspects of the force. What Lucas wrote him out to be made no sense whatsoever.

The events of Revenge of the Sith change him. He was already the best warrior the Jedi had (I'm pretty certain he could've taken Windu), but he lost everything - his friends, his family, his home - and grew more distant as the only thing keeping him alive was his rage and his job became hunting down survivors of Order 66 and killing them or torturing them and turning them into an Inquisitor.

You have to remember of course that he knows he fucked up, too. He knows he played right into Palpatine's hands and he hates himself for that. It's why Vader says "Anakin" was weak and he "destroyed" him, but I don't think he ever understood that Vader was the weak one until the end.

Anakin was fearless, he was brave and he followed his gut and did the right thing (as he saw it, anyway). He was plagued with an inner darkness and he fought it most of his life, but that anger inside of him only grew.

Vader was a coward, terrified of Palpatine's power, so full of hate and regret and acted as little more than a machine following his master's orders. He didn't snap out of it until he realised he actually had something to lose - his children.

I am glad, though, that portrayals of Darth Vader since the original trilogy haven't tried to make him more like Anakin. They kept his humour ("be careful not to choke on you aspirations" he says, to the guy he's choking right now), but he's always still cold, detached and ruthless.

The moment between him and Ahsoka in Rebels broke my heart. 😢

Mockerre

Story Director
Verified
Oct 30, 2017
These poll results are whack ;) And a reason we'll never have original things :/

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Prequel trilogy. This new shit had a few good ideas but was pretty bad over all. I mean the prequels weren't that much better but I had far more fun watching them.

greepoman

Oct 26, 2017
Prequels.

They have a lot of bad elements, but there's something resembling a coherent narrative.

Sequel trilogy is random shit thrown together with no rhyme or reason. Luke's arc is the only good part.
I don't get the whole "PT had a coherent narrative" I keep seeing. There's the one major thread which was predetermined but as for what is actually going on in each movie is a mess.

I remember the jokes about asking people to describe what's going on in PM to AOTC and they have no clue. Even if you pay attention a lot of the characters motivations and actions make no sense. Stuff is done that conflicts with the OT. It was common on this board to say you could disregard PM entirely. Then you need a long running animated series to go back and jump through hoops to make the OT better? How is this some great coherent narrative?

shintoki

Oct 25, 2017
The issue with this is, the PT gave birth to the amazing Clone Wars. But the TLJ is the best flick with TROS being the worst in the lot.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
BFUwGu7.png

zpjhb8P.jpg

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

When your competition is Starkiller Base and Death Star Destroyers, even pod racing is actually unique and cool.

Transistor

Vodka martini, dirty, with Tito's please
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
When your competition is Starkiller Base and Death Star Destroyers, even pod racing is actually unique and cool.
Ah yes, the thirty minute racing scene in the middle of a Star Wars movie with an annoying 10 year old as the main character.

If they would have cut the podracing in half it wouldn't have been so bad, but it just goes on so damn long.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ah yes, the thirty minute racing scene in the middle of a Star Wars movie with an annoying 10 year old as the main character.

If they would have cut the podracing in half it wouldn't have been so bad, but it just goes on so damn long.

I dunno... I want a Star Wars movie similar to Red Line and pod racing is perfect for that. 🤔

Oct 29, 2017
The revisionism with the prequels is a sight to behoçd indeed, the thing has worse dialogue and plot than brazillian telenovelas.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
If I had to be forced to sit through either the PT or the ST again I'd have to lean towards the PT. They were all entertaining enough for one viewing, but nothing I'd care to watch a second time.

Oct 27, 2017

The pod race is still more interesting and relevant to the plot than the one with the Rathtars, kanjiklub and Guavian death gang.

tiddles

Oct 29, 2017
Star Wars = drama + lore. The prequels win on lore, but fail at drama; the sequels (mostly) do drama, but fail at lore. I like 'em both (even the Phantom Menace)...

Roders

Oct 27, 2017
Northern Ireland
The revisionism with the prequels is a sight to behoçd indeed, the thing has worse dialogue and plot than brazillian telenovelas.
It really is so bizarre.

I can't think of any other movies ever that were discussed as much as the prequels at the time, on the internet, in magazines, newspapers, tv shows etc. It was relentless and it was with very little praise to put it nicely. Everyone was getting their dig in. The OT are probably the most referenced movies ever in other forms of media, and it was always done with love and affection. The PT was at the complete other end of the spectrum, every time they were referenced it was having a laugh at their expense, whether it be Jar Jar, the dialogue, the acting, the CGI, the fan service, the love story, they were a joke everyone was in on. Look what they did to Jake and Hayden for goodness sake (which was of course awful).

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
What I don't really understand is how people just came to accept the saga had nine parts. Like 4-6 were made and people knew and accepted there was something that came before. It was uncontroversial. The SAGA was COMPLETE with 1-6. Lucas even marketed it like that. Then all of a sudden people were like, "Ah yes, now the REAL end of the Skywalker Saga is coming!" when 7-9 were being made? Says who? Why can't they roll out 10, 11, and 12 at some point? Now the REAL!!! end of the Skywalker Saga is coming! The SECOND ORDER rose from the ashes of the First Order. And now there is a resistance to the SECOND ORDER!!!

I think basically the ST was a waste. The PT is pretty unwatchable though. I don't really care about new or big ideas when the first six hours of the trilogy are basically lots of sitting around and talking in the worst dialogue imaginable. The ST looks better, the PT sounds better. But to me the ST's existence is like presumptuous.

WillyFive

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

This is heresy.

The Podracing sequence is one of the best parts of the entire saga, and is even better in its extended cut.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
Then all of a sudden people were like, "Ah yes, now the REAL end of the Skywalker Saga is coming!" when 7-9 were being made? Says who?
This wasn't really a thing until the marketing for Episode IX started. That's really all it is - marketing - that also kind of tries to legitimize the return of Palpatine. Before he was ever involved in the ST, the connections between this trilogy and the others were obviously still present in major ways, but not in a "everything has been building up to this moment, now we're really gonna take down the overarching villain of the whole series" way.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017
This take honestly shocks me. The pod racing sequence is one of the worst and most boring sequences in all SW films.
The podracing sequence and the final Darth Maul fight sequence are the 2 parts of that movie that can be enjoyed entirely on their own, completely divorced from the mess that is the rest of The Phantom Menace