• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ST or PT?

• Sequel trilogy

Votes: 1,062 59.1%
  • Prequel trilogy

Votes: 771 42.9%

• Total voters

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Come on as inconsistant as the Disney movies are, the prequels are almost unwatchable.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I cared more for the action and characters of the Prequels, funnily enough.

I will say though that from a technical point of view the Sequel trilogy is much better shot and directed and has higher quality everything.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Prequel trilogy, since the sequel trilogy killed star wars for me.

Oct 27, 2017
We live in a crazy timeline where somehow people now hold up the prequels as anything but terrible. This is Russias fault.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i prefer the sequels.

my best friend was a huge Star Wars nerd and i just really wasn't interested in the prequel movies as they came out. I think being "forced" to go see them at the cinema and watch them at his house nearly every weekend is probably a big reason why they don't sit right with me. I don't think they are bad movies...sure there are flaws but they do a good job of giving the back story on Anakin and showing his path the darkside.

TFA was the movie that finally got me into Star Wars. I actually enjoyed both TLJ + ROS. They could be done better but i enjoyed them.

Deleted member 22750

Oct 28, 2017
To me (haven't seen the newest release)

the prequels are a good bit better than the first 2 of the sequels

I don't see a quality film in any of the ones I saw

Wijuci

Jan 16, 2018
Well, the prequels ended better?

(If you can forget dying of broken heart and NOOOoooooooo!)

But the prequels are mostly garbage, whereas I loved many, many parts of TFA and TLJ.

I rewatched the first act of TFA recently and it's still really great. The last act is very good too, it's really only the middle part I have issues with.

The Last Jedi I haven't rewatched. I remember being too disappointed by everything not related to Luke/Kylo/Rey (which was perfect apart for the reason for Kylo's turn).

Rise is garbage, but so are TPM and AotC.
In my opinion, Revenge is toothless and suffer from the previous two movies not doing their homeworks on the characters.

Also, let's not forget the fucking dialogs and terrible acting in the prequels.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
Prequels had:
- Better and more unique worldbuilding
- Better vehicle designs
- Duel of the Fates
- Across the Stars
- Battle of the Heroes
- Great ideas and themes (but terrible execution from a film-making & storytelling perspective)
- Opened up and added a lot to the Star Wars lore and expanded the universe
- Gave birth to the Tartakovsky Clone Wars cartoon and the Clone Wars TV series and some great fiction (and the entertaining RLM reviews)

Sequels had:
- Less dominance of white people (finally)
- The main jedi protagonist was a woman, for once
- Good to decent filmmaking and storytelling (but factory-produced McDonalds themes and dumb derivative ass-pulls)
- Pretty visuals
- Kickstarted a Star Wars revival as never seen before (although Disney's corporate limitations may limit the potential of this revival)

The sequels are technically better constructed films, but the prequels comprise many reasons why I enjoy Star Wars in terms of its universe, worlds, mechanical designs, and themes and ideas. The Clone Wars era is simply an fundamental reason for why I like Star Wars and unfortunately the sequels hadn't convinced me that they have provided anything memoryable.

Ororo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Prequels no questions TFA and TLJ nearly killed my interest in star wars, prequels never did that even if I had problems with them.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
nothing about the sequel trilogy is unique or memorable. that's my criteria for a good mega milked 9+ franchise.

skeezx

Oct 27, 2017
i don't think i can ever square away the ST in my mind as a legitimate "episode VII, VII, and XI". i wouldn't go far as to call it fan fiction but it just feels like some vestigial ... other thing.

Deleted member 17402

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I voted for the prequels despite its issues because they feel like Star Wars movies. Outside of TLJ, which I initially loved and now am indifferent toward, I think the sequel trilogy as a whole is a sterile corporate idea of what a SW trilogy should be in order to reach the widest audience possible with little concern for shit else. I still can't believe TROS is as basura as it is.

Transistor

Hollowly Brittle
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
Washington, D.C.
The sequel trilogy has really high highs, but also some really low lows.

The prequels just have lows. Very few redeeming factors.

So the sequels by far

Oct 27, 2017
The prequels have almost nothing going for it. I mean, the world-building's good in spots and it might have some interesting ideas (that are terribly executed) but as movies they're all fucking terrible. TFA is just okay IMO and TROS is every bit as bad as the prequels but at least the sequel trilogy has TLJ. It's also better acted and shot as a whole.

GuessMyUserName

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Toronto
Preferring PT to ST doesn't have to be a compliment to be PT, it's an inequality against two bad options. I don't even like "the good PT movie" RotS, but both sets of movies are completely terrible to me.

I got absolutely nothing out of the ST (being fair, I haven't seen TRoS yet) and haven't enjoyed either of its movies at all, why would I have to hold it up over PT? PT at least tried to tell a story I wanted to see and expanded the universe, ST didn''t have a saga to tell and yo-yo'd the Star Wars universe back to another period of a struggling Resistance.

You're free to have different opinions on TFA & TLJ making ST at least have some semblance of quality to you, but that's not the case for everyone. (ditto towards the people who do legitimately like RotS, cool for them you're all valid)

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
Revenge of the Sith is the only one of the six that I would ever ponder revisiting, so the prequels win by default.

Better acting and technical prowess means jack shit when the end result is, at best, boring regurgitated garbage.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Sequels have the best Star Wars movie in TLJ, prequels are more cohesive and well thought out as a three movie arc. I voted sequels because TLJ is the only SW movie that excels as a film, but I'm not terribly passionate about either choice

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i don't think i can ever square away the ST in my mind as a legitimate "episode VII, VII, and XI". i wouldn't go far as to call it fan fiction but it just feels like some vestigial ... other thing.

Oh it's fanfiction alright. You even have the edgy emo protagonist who idolises Darth Vader and wears a stupid mask, then dies at the end. You also have Rey, who was quite frankly better than everyone at everything and succeeded where everyone else failed.

The sequel trilogy just does nothing for me except fill me with disappointment, so I'd rather think of the Legends stuff as what really happened in the galaxy after Return of the Jedi and the movies can be some "what if?" alternative future.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Better acting and technical prowess means jack shit when the end result is, at best, boring regurgitated garbage.
giphy.gif

Scarlet Spider

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
I've seen each ST movie once and only once. PT for me as I could actually derive enjoyment out of those cheesy movies. The only good thing to come from the ST was that First Order Trooper that called Finn a traitor and managed to go toe to toe with a someone using a lightsaber.

Tapiozona

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
The Sequel Trilogy mainly because I've seen a lot of the die-hard fans say it ruined Star Wars for them and they would no longer care for it in the future. They tended to be the most toxic fans and having them not involved going forward is a good thing. Let a new generation take over.

Oct 27, 2017
Revenge of the Sith is the best starwars movie made (Including the original 3) if you look at the Skywallker story arc. SO prequels for that alone.

Last edited:

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Just on the base level the prequels tell a cohesivend complete story about the fall or a peophesised hero.

The sequels are better produced and directed but thanks to TROS the story is the most nothing there is. You could brush past the negatives of the sequels to focus on the good but not anymore. Everything has just been flaundered.

Gunslinger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't bring myself to rewatch none of the ST movies not even a second time around. Only seen TFA twice. My god these movies are bad and uninteresting. Not a single thing to enjoy and like in ST imo. Except yoda talking to luke scene and kylo ren.

BossAttack

Oct 27, 2017
Just on the base level the prequels tell a cohesivend complete story about the fall or a peophesised hero.

The sequels are better produced and directed but thanks to TROS the story is the most nothing there is. You could brush past the negatives of the sequels to focus on the good but not anymore. Everything has just been flaundered.

Yep.

The ST is basically watching an anime that has no ending and never will but you keep talking fondly about it because you remember the early episodes that were really good and imagine the ending in your head to those good times as opposed to the actual final episode before it was canceled or the creator moved on to something else.

Zushin

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I enjoyed TFA quite a bit at the time but I feel like the latter two movies have retroactively ruined it for me. The prequels have cool shit in it which I prefer, even if it felt too CG heavy and poorly written. So overall, PT > ST (despite my hatred for AotC).

Much

The Gif That Keeps on Giffing
Feb 24, 2018
I preferred the prequels overall, even if it's only for nostalgia-sake. I liked The Force Awakens to a certain degree at its time of release, but what I've heard about Rise of Skywalker is absolutely baffling to me and it needs a great level of explaining as to how that entire premise was conceived.

Dranakin

Oct 27, 2017

100% this. Look, I went to the opening nights of the PT and I hated all of them after walking out into the parking lot, but you know what? At least they tried. The art designs, the world building, etc. The highs are highs and the lows are lows.

The ST, on the other hand, are so timid and bland that there are no highs at all. It relies completely on nostalgia to move from scene to scene with no coherent plot, even within the same individual movie.

At the end of the day, the PT are actually fun to watch, while the ST is like watching the paint dry.

ProtomanNeo

Oct 27, 2017
I'll take an ambitious series of films that at least attempts to fly (and manages to at times) over one that only managed to competently jog the entire time (on a well worn track) any day.

Phinor

Oct 27, 2017
Prequels have a ton of issues and sequel trilogy has two of the best movies out of all the six movies in contention (and TLJ might be the best of the whole series), but even still I'd go for prequel trilogy because of how terrible TROS is and how the prequels at least tried to do something different most of the time even if it occasionally failed miserably at it. Also Palpatine alone saves the prequel trilogy, Palpatine alone ruins the sequel trilogy.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
From a filmmaking standpoint, the ST is better. But I prefer the PT.

So more fun?

AOC was so boring and bland I wanted to tear my eyes out. The only fun parts of the PT were the end of TPM (minus the awful Anakin in space "now this is pod racing!") and literally just a few parts of ROTS.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Prequels are just absolutely terrible.

I am surprised that the "At least they tried something new!" nonsense still a talking point for prequel defenders. Nobody gives a shit if something is new if it is terrible. And the prequels are crammed absolutely full of dumb callbacks, settings, vehicles and characters from the OT -- to say they did something new or risky is a pretty big stretch.

Oct 27, 2017
It feels too soon to really judge. TROS retroactively hurts the previous films in the trilogy in a way that the prequel sequels don't. It's the Game of Thrones season 8 of movies.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
Prequels are just absolutely terrible.

I am surprised that the "At least they tried something new!" nonsense still a talking point for prequel defenders. Nobody gives a shit if something is new if it is terrible. And the prequels are crammed absolutely full of dumb callbacks, settings, vehicles and characters from the OT -- to say they did something new or risky is a pretty big stretch.

They absolutely did do something new. The amount of stories that do something similar to the Prequal trilogy, let alone movies, were the main hero turns into the primary unempathetical villain and the heroes are utterly decimated, not even a pyrhicc victory, is almost non-existant.

Oct 28, 2017
Prequels easily. Prequels had two movies I loved and one I hated that at least had some good things in it. Sequels had a nostalgia wank fest that was average as hell, one pretty good movie and one movie that was another nostalgia wank fest but was way worse.

Rogue One was ace though. That's the Disney Star Wars movie they knocked out of the park.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I can't bring myself to rewatch none of the ST movies not even a second time around. Only seen TFA twice. My god these movies are bad and uninteresting. Not a single thing to enjoy and like in ST imo. Except yoda talking to luke scene and kylo ren.
I could rewatch TLJ and just pretend it's a bitter sweet ending where we won't win, but we'll be inspired by the mistakes of the past. I kind of forget about Palpatine's granddaughter, Rey is just a cool woman, who carved her own destiny and cut off her ties to Kylo Ren at the end.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They absolutely did do something new. The amount of stories that do something similar to the Prequal trilogy, let alone movies, were the main hero turns into the primary unempathetical villain and the heroes are utterly decimated, not even a pyrhicc victory, is almost non-existant.
Doesn't really matter when the "hero" was a snotty and unempathetical brat from the very start, whose transformation was telegraphed from the absolute beginning but still miserably written and portrayed. If the films are ineptly made and written, whatever aspirations they might have had tend to get overshadowed by the low quality of the actual finished product. "Ohhh, they made a movie where the bad guys won!" Okay, but the good guys were insufferable and disliked so their defeat has zero dramatic effect. And within the arc of all 6-9 films we know that the light side will prevail anyway.

AzerPhire

Oct 25, 2017
TROS ruined the entire sequel trilogy to the point that they no longer exist in my mind. Star Wars was the original and prequel trilogies and that's it.

The ST really had no point. No arc that happened over the three movies, no pay off, it was nothing. George Lucas is Star Wars and if he was not involved it doesn't count.

KingM

Oct 28, 2017
The hero becoming the villain and still being victorious is pretty common in fiction.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I could rewatch TLJ and just pretend it's a bitter sweet ending where we won't win, but we'll be inspired by the mistakes of the past. I kind of forget about Palpatine's granddaughter, Rey is just a cool woman, who carved her own destiny and cut off her ties to Kylo Ren at the end.

Yeah, it's crazy how TROS basically kills Episode X for me. I liked that Rey is a nobody and could still achieve something, told Kylo to piss off, confident in herself. They ruined it.

PT are terribly filmed with awful acting but broad strokes, it's a better try than the sequel trilogy other than some of TLJ. The ST is very watchable because it's better directed and acted, no denying that.