• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Which Star Ocean is the GOAT?

• Star Ocean

Votes: 15 3.7%
  • Star Ocean: The Second Story

Votes: 247 60.4%
  • Star Ocean: Blue Sphere

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • Star Ocean: Till the End of Time

Votes: 114 27.9%
  • Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Votes: 22 5.4%
  • Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness

Votes: 8 2.0%

• Total voters

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Im really sad they didn't add more games to the R series...like....SO1...cool, but who cares? Where's 2R!? That's the only I literally think everyone wants. šŸ˜­

star-ocean-first-departure-r-switch-hero.jpg

Maybe it's still in the pipeline, but it's just a little tragic to have so little word about it (and SO2 characters in Katsumi Enami's style?! pleeeeaaaaaaase)

I picked this up on the Switch and it's such a nice little thing.

But i really just want to play SO2 again......

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Star Ocean: Second Story was one of the first games I bought with my PS. I loved it so much. I never got into any of them after that. Maybe cause they really started to lean into the anime tropes/clichies after that second game. I also started to fall out of love with JRPG's in the PS3/360 era.

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
Two. Anything after that is bad.

SO5 or whatever, bought that shit day one. Uninstalled hour 1.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
I will also say I preferred Rena's OG artwork, she looked her age and was basically HS Senior/College Freshman and I prefer my JRPG protags older like I think Squall is one of the older FF ones or maybe Cecil I forget but yea I always appreciated that SO2 had an older cast.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Two. Anything after that is bad.

SO5 or whatever, bought that shit day one. Uninstalled hour 1.

I bought the Collector's Edition... .... ... :(

I never bought another CE after that.

I will also say I preferred Rena's OG artwork, she looked her age and was basically HS Senior/College Freshman

She looked like a cool tomboy elf!! She never used it, but I really liked the light blade too.

char_Rena.jpg

:/
latest

rsfour

Oct 26, 2017
I bought the Collector's Edition... .... ... :(

I never bought another CE after that.

Lol, rip. I don't even know what was in the SO5 CE. I've had my fair share of shitty CEs, bunch of useless shit. But yeah, I was hoping/expecting a good SO, cos it's been nearly 20 years since they made a good one...they put out another awful game.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly, I find every single entry fun. The characterizations become very cartoonish each subsequent entry, and the scope of the systems seem to diminish, but I still have a good time messing things up, building battle meters and crafting new things. It's a novel JRPG series in what it combines and provides.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
at least you got the only physical artbook of the star ocean series.

you also supported tri-ace as much as you could in their dying breath

You get it. That's honestly why I wanted the CE, I had faith in tri-ace but ...well... every company is gonna have a boo-boo. šŸ¤·ā€ā™€ļø Star Ocean 5/10 was tri-ace's.
(Semi related...honestly one of my favourite tri-ace games might be Resonance of Fate)

Truly Gargantuan

Still doesn't have a tag :'(
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No Star Ocean exists after 1&2 in my mind. 3 has one of the worst plot twists of all time, and 4...*shivers*. 4 wanted to be an eroge with ARPG combat so badly. God 4 is such a fucking horrible game.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
SO3 had the decency to have Alexander O. Smith onboard as a localization coordinator, I can't think of how the script would be otherwise without him considering the plot twist.

I like SO3 for other reasons, mainly the dungeon design and various rings for some of the puzzle solving. Although side kick, side kick, side kick kind of made battles very easy, if you controlled Fayt 90% of the time. I switched to Nel for a bit and couldn't quite get a decent rhythm down. Mages in SO3 felt terrible compared to the ones in SO2 in which you could just spam one spell after another and stunlock bosses.

I liked the remake of SO1 especially it borrowed heavily from SO2's engine in terms of combat and map design.

So the first three games were the highlight of the series. SO5 could have been so much better if tri-Ace had an actual budget to work with.

A shame really. I'd hate for SO5 to be the last game tri-Ace develops on console. Maybe one day they'll actually get another sizable budget to work with and put out something else along the lines of Resonance of Fate or VP2 Silmeria again.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
It's 2. It's never not been 2. What's with these lopsided poll questions lately?

Though crafting in 3 is definitely awesome...and VERY required, unfortunately.

SmokedSalmon

Apr 1, 2019
For me it's always been 3 but 2 is definitely the best overall.

Please give us a 2 rerelease that gets rid of the PSP art. :(

Xero grimlock

Dec 1, 2017
definitely 2. Minus the shitty voice acting, and a few really shitty party members 4 really wasn't that bad. Story wise I think it's much more even then 3.

NeoSabin

Aug 12, 2019
I completely loved Star Ocean 2 when it first came out and after ending it but when I got my hands on 3, everything just blew me away.
The 3D models, crafting, enemies, skills, battle trophies, even the crazy end game. It was all just sooo good.

Edit: Just bought the PS4 version of SO3 on PSN. It's apparently on sale šŸ˜…

Last edited:

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
I just finished 5, the game was so bad I actually started laughing out loud at the last boss. Literally does nothing while I 999 hit combo'd him into oblivion. I barely had time to wipe the tears from my eyes from laughing at the strongest weapon in the game just being thrown in side dungeon thats a straight hallway to a damage sponge dragon.

Is triAce gonna be okay after this title? I don't see how they can get anything green lit after that mess.

antitrop

Oct 25, 2017
I just finished 5, the game was so bad I actually started laughing out loud at the last boss. Literally does nothing while I 999 hit combo'd him into oblivion. I barely had time to wipe the tears from my eyes from laughing at the strongest weapon in the game just being thrown in side dungeon thats a straight hallway to a damage sponge dragon.

Is triAce gonna be okay after this title? I don't see how they can get anything green lit after that mess.
I'm surprised people don't talk about that boss more often.

double_heist

Nov 19, 2019
I love 2 overall. 4 mostly for gameplay and content. I mean it's probably the only Star Ocean game where you can travel to many planets.

halcali

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
Hong Kong SAR
The Second Story was the best "average" RPG of the 32-bit era.

It's fully of charm. A bit repetitive, yeah, but you get Claude or Rena to play-through.

Rena <3

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its weird i dont remember much of the games, but i remember i kind liked 1, but i liked 2 more. One of the few things i remember is liking the femc but idk why