• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Square Enix actually sucks when it comes to remastering any of its pre-PS1 era games outside of the SaGa games. They need to take what they did with the SaGa games and apply that to FF1-6. Or maybe do what they did with the PSP version of FF4. If they can't spare the budget to do that with all the non-FF PS2 games then at least sell emulated SNES ROMs somewhere.

Oh and Tactics needs to come out on PC. I don't care how. The mobile version with mouse controls would be fine.

They have a very deep bench of games. For me, I'd love to see a remaster of Vagrant Story.
Tactics and Vagrant Story to modern consoles and PC.
I'd actually be concerned with a Vagrant Story remaster. I feel like touching the original PS1 version in any way would detract from its unique look. Emulator screenshots with filtered textures at higher resolutions just don't look like Vagrant Story.

I feel like there are only two good options for Vagrant Story:
1) Re-release the game in a form that's basically just an emulated PSX ISO on PC or something, but even then I wouldn't trust SE to not do some ugly texture filtering or something.
2) A complete remake with Akihiko Yoshida in charge of the graphics and art direction.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
Single-player Record Keeper please, thanks.

seyvec9.gif

Scratches

Oct 25, 2017
I've literally never heard of Radiata Stories. Are you all just making up game titles now to make fun of me?
Radiata Stories has its flaws, but it's an overlooked charming game.

Although it has two different main story paths, the lighthearted storyline is almost forgettable, the combat is a bit basic and the AI of your teammates can be a little wonky, but the beautiful art style would look good in HD and the lively Radiata City itself is amazing, with 150+ unique and charismatic NPCs with their own lives, daily schedules (the game has a day/night cycle), jobs, homes and events. You can recruit almost every one of them to your party, each one with their own requisites like quests, story events or duels.

Also, you can kick almost everything. Kicking inanimate objects will turn up items or money, but kicking NPCs several times will cause them to fight you.

The OST from Noriyuki Iwadare (Lunar, Grandia, Ace Attorney) has some lovely tunes too.

It didn't have a European release, so it would make sense for Square Enix to remaster it and release it over here... right? >.<

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
Give me M2 developed ports / compilations of the NES/FC Final Fantasy games in one, the SNES/SFC Final Fantasy games in another. I don't need anything special, just give me a way to play the damn things without them looking like hot mobile trash. While a bit barebones, the Mana collection was great for me and I'm on board for that if the emulations are accurate. I'd also just love to have proper releases of the original versions of FF2, 3 and 5 in English.

Beyond that? Gimme Chrono Cross and Parasite Eve. Einhander would be cool too while we're at it. Give all the PS1 games back to the world and I'll likely buy all of them like a sucker.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Chrono Cross.

Oh and Chrono Trigger already got two remasters, one for the DS and one for mobile, though I'm not sure if the mobile version can be bought anymore.

Emrober5

Oct 27, 2017
I legitimately liked the Bouncer when it was released. Yeah I was maybe 12 at the time but I would totally play through that game in 4k. It was beautiful on ps2.

And I will play absolutely any FF game they throw at me. I've never played any of the handheld games so those would be welcomed.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Crisis Core

Ehrgeiz

Parasite Eve

those would be the top 3 easily. Good variety and with a new coat of paint could be a fun time to new and old fans alike.

DmckPower

Feb 1, 2018
I'd like a Zodiac Age Style remaster for XIII.

Tinkering with the battle system and balancing a bit, remove auto-battle,unlock crystarium and add leader switch.

If they could add content that would be great too.

OP
OP

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I'd like a Zodiac Age Style remaster for XIII.

Tinkering with the battle system and balancing a bit, remove auto-battle,unlock crystarium and add leader switch.

If they could add content that would be great too.
I've dreaaamed about the kind of tinkering they'd do to XIII. I could imagine them remixing the crystariums to give more options OR more defined jobs. Both X and XII remasters handled this extremely well.

wtd2009

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
I'm with you. I really want to play ffiv on the ps5. I'd like to see the frame rate updated, qol changes and maybe some texture updates. If they did a full remake like the mana remakes I think that would be best, though.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
giphy.gif

Square Enix is my favorite publisher and the state of their back catalog being playable on current consoles is maddening.

I'd buy all of these:
  • Chrono Trigger
  • Final Fantasy V
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Live a Live
  • Chrono Cross
  • Xenogears
  • Vagrant Story
  • Parasite Eve
  • Parasite Eve 2
  • Dawn of Mana
  • Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
  • Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions
  • Final Fantasy I, II, and IV (PSP versions)
  • Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth
  • Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
  • Star Ocean: Second Evolution
  • Bravely Default and Bravely Second
  • Final Fantasy III and IV (Steam versions)
I'm probably missing plenty, but yeah. Some of these are available on PC and/or mobile, but it's definitely time to move them to consoles now that two (PS5/XBS) have a more backward/forward compatibility philosophy and Switch might too.

My preferred method would be closer to what they did with PSP remasters or Zodiac Age. There's updated visuals, maybe some new art and a new dungeon or revamped play systems, but mostly untouched. Though I loved the Trials of Mana remake, so going that route would be fine too as long they were handled with care. Really do not want any of these to get the FF7R treatment, making them entirely different games that I don't care about.

Madao

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Panama
most people have asked for the obvious ones already so i'll be a bit more original.

make a compilation of older Itadaki Street games remastered and localized and maybe localize the latest one too.

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
Uhhh basically all Squaresoft games that released on PS1. Including the SNES re-releases. That era of square is too good, I can't even fit a top 5.

tiebreaker

Oct 25, 2017
Chrono Cross please. I plan on replaying it, would be great if I can just play it on current gen consoles.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
If by remaster your mean the FF8 OR Saga Frontier route, I'd definitely go for Square's PS1 library. I could see more directors cuts off the following, like Chrono Cross for instance:
  • Reorchestrated music, especially the battle music
  • Upscaled and new graphics
  • Extra scenarios and dialogue segments to better develop the huge cast of characters.
  • Better tutorialization of the battle system
  • Rebalanced characters
  • Integrate Radical Dreamers into the story or a new alternate story route.
  • Vinesauce providing voice acting for Kid.

whiteninja

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Save Chrono Trigger for a remake
As for remaster, maybe Xenogears. Not sure what can be done, if anything, about disk 2 though.

Also add Final Fantasy Tactics if it means getting a steam version.

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
Chrono Trigger - On consoles
Chrono Cross
Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII
Dissidia: Final Fantasy

Side note: Gimme the goldarn cheats/assists in Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Well considering FF7R is the best FF there is, maybe do 6 or 8 in that vein though that's a remake not a remaster.

Not really interested in remasters to be honest...

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Infinite Undiscovery. Let's go!

And a PC version of The Last Remnant.

FF13 doesn't need a remaster. It just needs a PS4/PS5 port.

Dnomla

Oct 27, 2017
United States
Just give me a very simple Xenogears Remaster.

- Brand new, more accurate localization.
- Re-dubbed cutscenes and make the whole game fully voice acted.
- Basic visual upgrades. Nothing really needs to be changed.
- Whatever other small quality of life changes need to be made.

Pretty easy....but they won't do it.

Jakenbakin

Jun 17, 2018
In a rough order of how much I want despite the likeliness

Brave Fencer Musashi - this game is so damn cool and cute and fun and just fuck I want to play it again
Valkyrie Profile 1+2+Covenant of the Plume collection - Lord knows all I want is a VP3 but at least recognize the existence of it if nothing else
Unlocalized RPGs - Bahamut Lagoon, Treasure of the Rudras, etc.
Final Fantasy Tactics/Tactics Ogre games
Front Mission collection
Radiata Stories - never came to PAL territories and I've always been super interested by it

Last edited:

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
After starting VIII remaster I'm down for any of Square's PS1 era and around that era games with the speed up function enabled. I want these the most though.

Parasite Eve
Chrono Cross
Xenogears
Front Mission 3-5
Final Fantasy 13 series. Never played Lightning Returns, but I dug the first one. 2 was a nonsense pile of a story as far as I could tell. Well they all were but I was so nonplused by 2 that by time the "good" part of the story that fans talk about happened I could care less.

I'd take Xeno as it is with some quality of life changes. Wanting them to "finish" it is a remake in my book, not a remaster.

Choppasmith

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Beaumont, CA
most people have asked for the obvious ones already so i'll be a bit more original.

make a compilation of older Itadaki Street games remastered and localized and maybe localize the latest one too.
Aww, I wanted to be the sole weirdo talking about Fortune Street and you beat me to it. March will be the 30th Anniversary, so I want to think we'll get something. I'd be happy with the above if possible, but some other ideas:
-Port FF+DQ 30th with DLC to Switch (official localization even better)
-A new game
-More on topic, how about a remaster of this

cover_large.jpg

I mean, Special is my favorite but I can see them doing something akin to FF+DQ 30th which was essentially a remaster+new stuff

-New boards
-Swap in some new characters on both sides
-Base the aesthetic and mini games off the DS version. Wii is so flavorless compared to other entries.
-Something like the Sphere system of Special (not required but would be cool)

Some other thing's I'd like:

-Yeah, I'll echo the need for FF Tactics on Steam/New Consoles
-Dragon Quest 1-3 on PC just so someone can mod the old NES font, Orchestra music and fix up the sprites/scaling
-Port DQ 4-6 to Switch at the very least
-DQVIII remaster (PS2 Graphics in HD, Orchestra Music, 3DS Content)
-DQIX Remaster

Also props to the 40% of replies to this thread which are literally "everything!"
Better than seeing the "Nothing. I want new games" response.

cvxfreak

DINO CRISIS SUX
Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
I'd like a true FFIV Collection with the 2D and 3D games, as well as the sequel. The 3D version being retextured would be great, too.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Honestly, I'd rather have them fix a lot of their Final Fantasy "remasters", especially on PC, and doubly-especially their older ones. They have quite a few issues:
  • Final Fantasy III, IV, IV-2: Texture filtering. How these games lack freaking texture filtering is beyond me. And don't say it can't be done: the PSP version has it, and FF3 looks so much better for it (before, after).
  • Final Fantasy V & VI: Both need a near-total do-over. Terrible sprites, texture seams, and one eyesore of a mobile UI. These are two of the best entries in the series, and they look like a few interns got together over a few nights/weekends and recreated both games in RPG Maker Mobile.
  • Final Fantasy VII, VIII, & IX: All three need far more work than what's been done. Mostly these three games just turned up the resolution, added higher-quality UIs and party member models, and called it good. Trouble is, a resolution/filtering bump often did much more harm than good.
  • Final Fantasy XIII & XIII-2: Both extremely hastily-made PC ports that only make use of a single CPU core. Both need at least as much time/attention/optimization as the excellent Lightning Returns port got (interestingly, the LR port was made shortly after Steam introduced its refund system...hmmm).
  • Final Fantasy XV: At the very least, the PC version needs to implement the threaded priority changes implemented in this mod, as loading times across the board are far faster with them (and it fixes a lot of audio/physics issues).

And a PC version of The Last Remnant.
I hope so. It's been 5 years, 7 months, 10 days since the original became unavailable on Steam, which is kinda longer than I thought we'd have to wait. :-/

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be happy if they put Final Fantasy 1 on the NSO service. Or Mario RPG.

I guess the other would be Star Ocean Second Story.