• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Cual?

• Demon's Souls

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • DS1

Votes: 18 4.1%
  • DS2

Votes: 17 3.9%
  • DS3

Votes: 89 20.4%
  • BloodBorne

Votes: 179 41.0%
  • Elden Ring

Votes: 128 29.3%

• Total voters

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Elden Ring by a lot, like a crater of distance imo, unfortunately even after 100h I never adapted completely like other Souls and Sekiro that were almost instant

JudgmentJay

Nov 14, 2017
Texas
All bosses: Sekiro
Non-optional bosses only: Elden Ring

A vast majority of Elden Ring's bosses are optional and way too easy imo.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
All bosses: Sekiro
Non-optional bosses only: Elden Ring

A vast majority of Elden Ring's bosses are optional and way too easy imo.
Even the easier ones I found harder than any on DSIII besides Friede tbh, but ER only gets really, really hard in the last 3 bosses, they are completely bonkers

SoulsHunt

Banned
Dec 3, 2019

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Honest question for those voting Demon's Souls, was it because it's the only one you've played?

Nameless

Oct 25, 2017
Sekiro, obviously, but out of the choices probably Dark Souls 3. Nameless King and his unstoppable camera of doom is the longest I've ever gotten stuck on a vanilla Souls boss. And there were tough fights along the way too like Prince, and Pontiff who I beat somewhat quickly but only due to weirdly favorable RNG where he stopped using the flurry combo that gave me fits. Didn't feel good about it. And then of course Ringed City, which is toughest FromSoft DLC to this day imo.

Elden Ring has 80 some odd boss fights and I only hit 3-4 walls so far(two of those being late game super bosses that are intended to be walls) in 130 hours.

Bloodborne still probably has my favorite collection of boss fights in a game, but I I didn't find the vanilla bosses to be incredibly challenging. Father G early and Martyr L mid-game were the only ones I didn't beat in a few tries or less all the way until the Kos-Laurence back to back of suffering in Old Hunters.

After clearing my virgin hurdle with the Capra Demon I never had much of a problem with DS1 bosses. DS2 is around the same level once you get used to its fuckery.

arrado

Jan 1, 2020
Don't really understand how people are saying Elden Ring here. There are so many routes to take, so you can never really get 'stuck' on a boss. And by the time you reach a story boss you're usually a bit overleveled.
Also I feel like you need to factor in the run to the boss, which is basically non existant in Elden Ring. This was often a huge pain in the ass in other souls games.
And then there are the Ashes, which make boss fights MUCH easier.

To me Sekiro had the most consistent hard bosses, also because there were barely any possibilities to do upgrades or do side stuff. You just had to get good.
If we are not counting that one, then DS3 for me. DS3 bosses were awesome

Oct 28, 2017
Elden Ring isn't a Souls, I voted Bloodborne.

Elden Ring is more Souls than Bloodborne. The gameplay is extremely Souls, just open world and with a mount.

Sekiro is the actually winner here if you want to count it, but IMO that isn't a Souls game. Too many core gameplay mechanics have been changed. It has a very different feel.

Last edited:

Dyno

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Probably BB or DS3. Elden Ring bosses felt hugely inconsistent in difficulty and you could pretty much go from a tough fight straight into one you can kill in a handful of hits depending on how scattered your path is.

However I'd actually say all souls games felt a lot harder than elden ring to me. There's a lot of weapons with powerful arts and due to the ones I found I'd ended up leaning towards int and faith more at times, this opened up magic and stuff I'd basically never use and it felt a lot easier than going melee only in the other games. That may have been a choice by me but it was also one I kinda felt funnelled into by the weapon requirements

Stygian

Banned
Dec 11, 2021
FromSoft has said that Sekiro is not a Souls games , so it doesn't count.

The fact that in demons souls, dark souls 1 - 3, bloodborne and elden ring your character has attributes like vigor, endurance, dexterity, etc that you level up to make your character physically stronger and sekiro only has consumables to boost you temporarily is a huge difference and makes it very obvious that sekiro isn't a souls game.
And lmfao at people saying elden ring isnt a souls game. Let's be real here, its dark souls 4 in all but the name lol. It's very much an evolution of the dark souls games.

Diogo Arez

One Winged Slayer
Oct 20, 2020
Don't really understand how people are saying Elden Ring here. There are so many routes to take, so you can never really get 'stuck' on a boss. And by the time you reach a story boss you're usually a bit overleveled.
Also I feel like you need to factor in the run to the boss, which is basically non existant in Elden Ring. This was often a huge pain in the ass in other souls games.
And then there are the Ashes, which make boss fights MUCH easier.

To me Sekiro had the most consistent hard bosses, also because there were barely any possibilities to do upgrades or do side stuff. You just had to get good.
If we are not counting that one, then DS3 for me. DS3 bosses were awesome
While you can take many routes and overlevel, in the endgame that isn't really an option, those enemies are a gigantic jump from the prior areas and are scaled for like level 160 or so

Last_colossi

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Bloodborne & its DLC bosses were fine once you got used to their patterns and weaknesses.

I haven't even finished Elden Ring but don't get me started on these 2:

images

jaymzi

Jul 22, 2019
Elden Ring is the most imbalanced game in the series so the bosses can be very hard or a cakewalk depending on what you are using.

I_love_potatoes

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jul 6, 2020
My take (from EASIEST TO HARDEST):

BB > DeS > DS1 > DS2 > DS3 > ER

If we include Sekiro then Sekiro comes before ER.

DS3 is only hard because the bosses somehow hit you all the bloody time even if you dodge perfectly. Felt like a huge downgrade from DS2. No wonder it's the most hated in the series .

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
Bloodborne by far. And it was my first too. So after playing it, the other games bosses where not that challenging except Sister Friede

Zeliard

Jun 21, 2019
I'd have to finish Elden Ring and consider what the most difficult overall bosses are after that, but I have to say that Bloodborne may have been the "easiest" game for me relative to the others, and is still my favorite of the bunch.

It's not that it's easy, and I completely understand why some would list some BB bosses as the hardest. It's just that the entire game precisely rewards exactly my play style. It just all went so damn smoothly for me because it's exactly how I play the other Souls games: no shield and very aggressively.

Bloodborne rewards being aggressive to a reckless and even irresponsible degree, and that's totally my jam.

Matrix XII

Oct 27, 2017
For the bosses? My vote goes to Bloodborne. Some really tough bosses and the dlc is crazy difficult.

Rayasab

Banned
Apr 12, 2021
Other than being developed by From, what does Sekiro have in common with Souls games?

McScroggz

The Fallen
Jan 11, 2018
I haven't played enough of Elden Ring, but what will be interesting in this debate is the idea of consistently hard bosses. Elden Ring has some really tough bosses, and seemingly there are a handful that are probably way harder than anything I've played so far…but between the leveling and the nature of having so many bosses and mini-bosses there is going to be a lot of them that are pretty easy.

I would say Bloodborne, especially with DLC, as well as Dark Souls 3 (similarly with DLC) are probably roughly tied. I imagine Elden Ring might have the most really difficult, but overall I'm not sure.

Birds of Paradise

Enlightened
Sep 20, 2021
I have never played a FromSoft game, Elden Ring is the first one for me.
The game is so much fun that I want to pick up Dark Souls 1 after it.
How does it compare difficulty wise? I personally find Elden Ring too easy with a strength build but I know nothing about the other games.

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
Elden Ring mostly because most of the bosses have a lot of horseshit like 7-hit combos where each hit takes off half of your life or destroys your stamina bar. Or they wind up and strike a pose for five minutes while tracking you before swinging. I'm at the endgame and Margit and Godrick are still the best bosses I've encountered. Ryckart was cool as fuck too.

Semblance

Oct 26, 2017
California
Poll should be remade, call it which game under the Miyazaki umbrella had the hardest bosses instead or w/e the hell. Sekiro is not a Souls game proper, but it should be in the conversation, because had the most consistently challenging bosses of any of his games. I can't be convinced people who played everything of his would genuinely vote for DS1 or something.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Did they claim Bloodborne and Elden Ring WERE Souls games?
I am not sure on that , but they specifically said that Sekiro was its own thing and not part of the Souls Series , and really , BB and Elden play exactly (in BB's case mostly) like Souls games , BB, ER and Souls have same mechanics and play very similar. Sekiro is not similar to Souls at all except that they both have bonfires.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Poll should be remade, call it which game under the Miyazaki umbrella had the hardest bosses instead or w/e the hell. Sekiro is not a Souls game proper, but it should be in the conversation, because had the most consistently challenging bosses of any of his games. I can't be convinced people who played everything of his would genuinely vote for DS1 or something.
I am not talking about Sekiro , so I didn't include it , Poll is fine as it is.

CupOfDoom

Dec 17, 2017
Sekiro > Elden Ring ~= DS3

This might change once I get to the true end game of elden ring though. And I haven't played enough BB to rank it.

I don't get people who are voting for DS1 or DeS as the hardest. Did you just not play any of the others? or is there something about the slower paced combat that you find more challenging?

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
Loly why are people being lame and keep mentioning Sekiro . Sekiro is not part of the discussion :P