• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
I've avoided some games because of 30fps. I avoided all telltale games after "playing" tales from the borderlands. Also will continue to ignore any walking simulators.

iceblade

Oct 25, 2017
Forcing you to use save points. I don't have the patience to deal with them, especially when there are so many other games to play that don't mind me saving and returning whenever I have a bit of time to play.

Treasure Silvergun

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 4, 2017
Complex strategical planning ahead.

I literally never played a SRPG, save maybe for the first couple battles in FFT Advance. Couldn't go past the tutorial in Advance Wars, and dropped Pokémon TCG very quickly. Also never went far in Baten Kaitos.

I simply can't muster the attention and patience for that kind of management.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
The ghost in Spelunky. I really enjoyed the tutorial mode and once I got past it, I was ready for a great treasure hunt... until I saw the ghost for the first time, read on it how it's always there if you spend too much time on a level, and immediately uninstalled the game. Such a shame as it felt like a nice treasure hunter game kind of like Steamworld Dig.

Think in Portals, think in Spelunky.

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
  • Time limits. Hate them. Would love to play Majoras Mask, but it will never happen
  • Stealth segments in a non-stealth game
  • Over sexualised characters
  • No subtitles

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
MGSV, unskippable intro (unless it's actually possible to somehow skip it).

DrArchon

Oct 25, 2017
I was somewhat interested in the latest Monster Hunter, which would have been my first, but I read someone say that when you're close to killing the monsters they start to feebly crawl/limp away from you and it made me so sad to imagine :(
This is super interesting to me, because I have tons of animal empathy issues with things like movies, but I'm perfectly fine killing monsters in Monster Hunter.

It's weird that I get super sad when I see a dog, cat, or horse whimpering and hurt, but when a monster limps away from me I just get annoyed because I know I could've killed it faster. It's very odd.

5pectre

Nov 16, 2017
Pay to win mechanics

I was so hyped for Battlefront 2 and don't have a problem with loot crates if it's all cosmetic but when I found out that there was clear advantages to pay real money and get better gear I dropped the game like a bad habit.

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Random battles.

Flat-out won't play any new game that has them. Retro stuff gets a pass, but only barely. And that's assuming it's a modern phone port or something that has save states.

Revali

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Rito Village
I even won't play Monster Hunter because of the hunting. I want to play Monster Photographer and Carer.

I played Breath of the Wild for 200 hours and I refused to attack any of the wild wolves and other animals. There was at least one mission I couldn't do because the only way to beat it was to kill one of the wolves.

Ever played Monster Hunter Stories? It's like Monster Hunter mixed with Pokemon. There are still battles, but you're teamed with monsters you raise from eggs. I also dislike the hunting aspect in the MH games, but still find the monsters themselves really interesting.

Shevek

Oct 25, 2017
Cape Town, South Africa
1. "Procedural generation" is an immediate turn off for me. Nothing ever feels cohesive in its visual design and almost always feels directionless as a result

2. Survival and crafting features, especially when they're core gameplay elements since they're often dull, repetitive and serve no other purpose than to create busywork for the player (though Subnautica has been a surprisingly wonderful exception to this and a personal GOTY for me)

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Anything with time limits or first person camera.

I only play these games if they are The Godfather of videogames or something

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
I've already discussed this but I'll say it again : breakable equipment in Zelda BOTW. I did play the game and even got pretty far, but eventually dropped it solely because of this. Without this feature I would have loved the game. I might play it again someday on emulator with a mod that fixes this (I think there's already one out there).

Whole game time limit in Lightning Returns

It's really not that bad. With just a little bit of care, you'll be able to finish all the quests you want and explore the world, and still have plenty of time left by the time you reach the end. I didn't use a walkthrough, and I remember I even fast forwarded the remaining days after I was done with the side stuff I wanted to do, so I could reach the final story bits. You should give the game a chance.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
When they announce the DLC scheme ahead of release that usually puts me off (unless I really really want the game) and I will then wait for a complete edition later.
This is usually all fighting games.

On an even more petty note, this also applies to cosmetic stuff.
I love me some customisation, I can spend hours creating and editing and dressing up characters, so locking out things for extra dough before release feels like a personal attack. "Oh but it's just cosmetic" yeah not to me it ain't.
The amount of DLC costumes they added in DOA5 has also put me off playing the game so many times now, it's psychological. There will never be a complete edition, I will never buy all the DLC (fuck that), but I can't bring myself to keep playing it even though I got it on sale a year or two ago. It's petty I know.

Oct 27, 2017
The Batmobile. I avoided that game for years! I only played it because I lost my internet and was reduced to single player games.

Oct 27, 2017
Do art styles count as features? Because there have been some games that I would have otherwise been into, but they had very stereotypical anime art styles that turned me off. And I'm a fan of anime too!

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Egregious fanservice and misogyny in a wide variety of JRPGs (and other genres, but mainly JRPGs because that's what I mostly play).

KennyL

Oct 27, 2017
Clear cut separation of combat zone/enemy wave vs. none combat zone. I really hate games like uncharted, tomb raider, destiny, etc. I actually like the last of us but every time I walk into areas with bricks and bottles and waist high blocks, I'm like eeehhhhhfffff oooofffffffff!!

I like current hitman games so much because they're opposite of that.

WyLD iNk

Oct 27, 2017
Here, duh.
The camera system in RE2make. I don't object to it in everything, but I still feel it's inappropriate for a single player Resident Evil, and while I probably will not be buying it at or near launch, I might pick it up used later on down the line.

Might.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
  • Any games with a long, boring, tutorial opening. I want to get into the game right away. Not wait 2 hours for the game actually to start. Doom 2016, Bloodborne, and Prey are good examples of games without boring as shit intros. Don't waste my time with a long ass story intro. I'll be too bored to bother with the rest.
  • Open world. Not every game needs one.
  • Heavy progression in a multiplayer game. I'm not going to grind 50 hours for a better load out. Give me it or super quickly.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I was somewhat interested in the latest Monster Hunter, which would have been my first, but I read someone say that when you're close to killing the monsters they start to feebly crawl/limp away from you and it made me so sad to imagine :(

I bought MHW and stop playing because of this